jclouds- how to uniquely identify one node within a group of compute instances

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
jclouds- how to uniquely identify one node within a group of compute instances Arvind 12/24/12 3:45 AM
Hello,

In a java app, I have started a group of virtual machines with a specific group name.

Now, I wish to identify each of the virtual machines in that group, uniquely. The code to identify a virtual machine (which is part of that group of machines) will be run within that machine itself directly. What parameter/attribute do I use to uniquely identify such a machine? As I understand "NodeMetadata" identifies each node...But which attribute from "NodeMetadata" class do I use for the purpose as described above? In such a way that, this attribute can be obtained by code running on the node that I wish to terminate?

Thanks,
Arvind.

Re: jclouds- how to uniquely identify one node within a group of compute instances Adrian Cole 12/24/12 4:12 AM
node.id is your best bet.  Also, don't be shy about creating groups of size one.  Groups intend to represent machines with identical configuration.

-A

Re: jclouds- how to uniquely identify one node within a group of compute instances Arvind 12/24/12 5:54 AM
Hi

OK, suppose i create a group of 5 machines--> will the id field have values 1,2,3,4,5? Also, can I obtain the public IP address of a node from the node metadata?

Thanks,
Arvind.

Re: jclouds- how to uniquely identify one node within a group of compute instances Adrian Cole 12/24/12 9:57 AM

Hi, arvind

Don't plan to parse the id.  Sometimes it is a number sometimes it is an href.  You can get the public ip from the public addresses accessor.

Hth