Windows 8 and WinRT

Showing 1-5 of 5 messages
Windows 8 and WinRT Adron Hall 10/30/12 1:48 PM
An easy set of questions:
  1. What should a Windows 8 UI enable - anything specifically? Should we aim for extensive Windows 8 support with Windows 8 specific features?
  2. What should a Win RT UI enable - same question, just oriented for the limited WinRT version which could prospectively be offered through the Windows Store.
Cheers,
Adron
Re: Windows 8 and WinRT ian.f.davis 11/4/12 7:34 PM
Does it make sense to have a WinRT app when the user of that machine can only work with the tiled interface? What is the use case for someone with a glorified iPad deploying an app to the cloud? I don't think that they can really have the app folder sitting on their drive to publish (perhaps a shared drive).

-Ian
Re: [ironfoundry] Re: Windows 8 and WinRT Adron Hall 11/5/12 12:25 PM
Yeah, on mobile and tablet applications doing deployments for most frameworks is out of the question. Node.js is one of the only ones that might reasonably be deployed from a device like that. Otherwise the intent would be to create a purely management oriented interface on those devices.

As an example, check out the UX designed called Happy Clouds by Kristen Mozian http://kristenmozian.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/happy-clouds-wireframes-and-thoughts/

The UX works through the situation of push alerts and other things that would be useful in a management situation for a PaaS Environment.

Adron B Hall
Iron Foundry Projecthttp://www.ironfoundry.org

Re: [ironfoundry] Re: Windows 8 and WinRT Andy Piper 11/7/12 8:53 AM
Right, I guess there are situations where you might be able to use a cloud-based IDE like eXo or Cloud9 in a tablet browser - hell, a Surface RT can have a keyboard cover, so there's a chance that would work ok. I suspect primarily you're more likely to be doing stuff with monitoring, stop/restart etc though.
--
Andy Piper | Farnborough, Hampshire (UK)
blog: http://andypiper.co.uk   |   skype: andypiperuk