Validating: X-UA-Compatible

Showing 1-9 of 9 messages
Validating: X-UA-Compatible nutmeg 9/16/10 8:16 PM
Is there a workaround to validate: <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible"
content="IE=edge,chrome=1">?

Thanks!
Re: [html5boilerplate] Validating: X-UA-Compatible Paul Irish 9/16/10 8:38 PM
On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 8:16 PM, nutmeg  wrote:

Is there a workaround to validate: <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible"
content="IE=edge,chrome=1">?

Sort of.

If you use the apache configuration, then it will send a header which duplicates what this meta tag does.

So then you can delete the meta tag from your HTML and all is peachy.

If you're not using the .htaccess file, then nope. The meta tag will make the validator complain a little bit.

Let me take this opportunity to say a little something on validation:

The validator giving you errors doesn't mean browsers won't render your page as well as they can. In fact, what the validator thinks of your markup is very very different from what a browser thinks of it. In fact, it's more like a browser is your friend who is super flexible, even when you were late to hanging out with him and everything you say to him sounds like a jumbled mess... He'll totally understand and be as accommodating with your imperfections as possible.
Mrs Validator, on the other hand, will mark up your papers with red pen again and again. Yes your thesis is perfect and it's supported with paragraphs of justification masterfully. Such prose, such rhetoric! But no you forgot a comma and your "who" should be a "whom" and that semicolon absolutely should be an em-dash. Do it again!

Meanie. :(

Validation can be a useful tool to make sure you haven't made any egregious errors. But don't treat 100% valid markup as a goal. There are plenty of extremely well justified decisions you can make in your markup that will not validate, like the X-UA-Compatible meta tag.  For more thoughts on validation, I certainly recommend Nicholas Zakas's post: http://www.nczonline.net/blog/2010/08/17/the-value-of-html-validation/

PS. as an example of how browsers are super accommodating.. You can use all sorts of HTML5 features even with an XHTML 1.0 Strict doctype. Browsers don't really give a shit. They make it work.

PPS. (Not that it's a good idea to do this... that's just plain poppycock!)

Re: Validating: X-UA-Compatible akuckartz 9/17/10 2:55 AM
On Sep 17, 5:38 am, Paul Irish <paul.ir...@gmail.com> wrote:

> PS. as an example of how browsers are super accommodating.. You can use all
> sorts of HTML5 features even with an XHTML 1.0 Strict doctype. Browsers
> don't really give a shit. They make it work.

According to the current HTML spec draft XHTML 1.0 strict is an
"obsolete permitted DOCTYPE" string
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#obsolete-permitted-doctype-string

In other words: such code can be valid. HTML5 itself is "super
accommodating" ;-)
Re: [html5boilerplate] Validating: X-UA-Compatible dave friesen 1/15/11 12:17 AM
this is only needed to tweak ie, right? what about wrapping it in an if IE conditional comment type thing? the validator tolerates that...

sometimes i just like to see the green square ^_^

rock on. davej
Re: [html5boilerplate] Validating: X-UA-Compatible divya manian 1/15/11 12:19 AM

Sadly, IE does not recognize X-UA-Compatible in an IE conditional.

Re: [html5boilerplate] Validating: X-UA-Compatible dave friesen 1/15/11 4:06 AM
ahh..ok, thanks for that...i will enjoy the green square first and then put it in (^_~)
Re: [html5boilerplate] Validating: X-UA-Compatible Garowetz 1/15/11 7:54 PM
You could take it out of the html and instead use the .htaccess part to enable it across your site

Stephen

_____________________________
Stephen Gariepy

Re: [html5boilerplate] Validating: X-UA-Compatible dave friesen 1/15/11 8:11 PM
yes, i do it that way for sites i am setting up, but i wanted a simple way to use it in a wordpress theme where everything needs to be in the theme folder...maybe i will provide both options in the readme for those who want to tinker...
Re: Validating: X-UA-Compatible Matt Enright 1/17/11 10:48 AM
FWIW, if you're deploying on IIS, you can use the following in lieu of
an .htaccess to send the header:

<httpProtocol>
    <customHeaders>
        <clear />
        <add name="X-UA-Compatible" value="IE=edge,chrome=1 />
    </customHeaders>
</httpProtocol>

That goes in the <system.webServer> section of your web.config.

Hope it helps,
Matt