Andy Rubin has gifted the Dojo some Android G1's

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
Andy Rubin has gifted the Dojo some Android G1's Ryan Hickman 9/14/09 11:23 AM
Hey there mobile hackers!

If you have been wanting to write some cool mobile apps, especially those that control robots, we have some G1's for you to test with. I'm putting the developer build of Cupcake on there and we can upgrade to Donut when that's out. You'll have root access to do all types of fun things over wi-fi since they have no SIM card.

We just need to figure out a way to secure them. Perhaps a checkout sheet with the key-holder handing them to members only? Other ideas welcome and I can drop them off this week.

Happy hacking, and thanks to Andy for donation!

-Ryan
Re: [hackerdojo] Andy Rubin has gifted the Dojo some Android G1's xp_prg 9/14/09 12:14 PM
Wahoo!!!!  I am wayyyy interested!

-Tim
Re: [hackerdojo] Andy Rubin has gifted the Dojo some Android G1's xp_prg 9/14/09 12:14 PM
Can I "borrow" one soon?!

-Tim

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Ryan Hickman <rhic...@gmail.com> wrote:

Re: [hackerdojo] Andy Rubin has gifted the Dojo some Android G1's Melissalynn Perkins 9/14/09 1:20 PM
I'll be sure to have the official members list/roster updated for verification.
http://hackerdojo.pbworks.com/Members
~Melissa

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Ryan Hickman <rhic...@gmail.com> wrote:

Re: [hackerdojo] Re: Andy Rubin has gifted the Dojo some Android G1's Ryan Hickman 9/14/09 3:36 PM
Terrific, thanks Melissa.
Re: Andy Rubin has gifted the Dojo some Android G1's Ryan Hickman 9/15/09 8:05 AM
I dropped off two brand new and fully charged G1's last night. You can get the SDK and start hacking away pretty quickly: http://developer.android.com/index.html

I have more devices available if anyone wants to throw an Android hacking day or there is more demand. The emulator in the SDK is usually enough to write an app but it's more fun to put it on a real phone and play with the GPS, compass, camera, and accelerometer live.

Chris said there wasn't a good place to keep them so he was putting them in a nearby unit. Do we have any plans for a safe location to keep nice tools and such so that members have quick and easy?

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Ryan Hickman <rhic...@gmail.com> wrote:

Re: [hackerdojo] Re: Andy Rubin has gifted the Dojo some Android G1's Laura Rubin 9/15/09 9:35 AM
This may be a good time to revisit the "lets get some lockers" discussion...

-Laura

Re: [hackerdojo] Re: Andy Rubin has gifted the Dojo some Android G1's xp_prg 9/15/09 10:06 AM
I have one of the G1's on loan.  I really need some help figuring out a way to interface with it serially.  Here is an instructable on how to do it:

What is incredibly frustrating is I bought all the parts to build this and then lost them somehow.  Anyone know a way to build one of these serial cables?

-Tim
Re: Andy Rubin has gifted the Dojo some Android G1's Ryan Hickman 12/13/09 5:04 PM
I brought in another unlocked Android G1 Dev Phone for anyone who wants to hack with it. You can find it on the top shelf of the bookcase in the electronics lab at the Dojo. It needs charging up but there is a USB cable there with it.

Enjoy!
Re: Andy Rubin has gifted the Dojo some Android G1's Ryan Hickman 1/25/10 12:08 AM
Thanks to Tim's work on this, I was able to replicate what he did in getting an Android G1 to send serial commands to an Arduino board. I wrote up the attached instructable to simply turn an LED on and off but a roaming robot will be the next phase we tackle.

There is a G1 in the electronics lab at the Dojo that we could put the Cyanogenmod on if anyone else wanted to explore this. Cheap electronics + $400 phone = powerful robotic capabilities.