Google Web Font API: getting access to addition font info for filtering purposes

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
Google Web Font API: getting access to addition font info for filtering purposes Ben Keen 4/13/12 11:51 AM
Hi all,

[Apologies if this isn't the place to ask this question - I couldn't find a Google Web Font API group (probably because it's so straighforward).]

The Google Web Font site (http://www.google.com/webfonts) lets the user filter the visible fonts in the left nav on several criteria, including a "Category" (Serif, Sans Serif, Display, Handwriting). However, the API JSON feed (https://developers.google.com/webfonts/docs/developer_api) doesn't contain that information - only a "subset" field, which is the font style (Cyrillic, Greek, Latin etc).

Any idea how I could get that information for each font? Any plans on Google's part to provide that info via the API feed?

Thanks!

- Ben
Re: Google Web Font API: getting access to addition font info for filtering purposes Ben Keen 5/11/12 4:55 PM
*bump!* No ideas, anyone?

- Ben
Re: Google Web Font API: getting access to addition font info for filtering purposes AndyJames 9/7/12 11:50 AM
We would also like to know if there is a way to get this information or if it is planned for the future? There is no way with the API currently that we can found to build the font stack with the correct fallback. Best we can do is font-family: FontName;

Thanks,

Andy
Re: [GFD] Google Web Font API: getting access to addition font info for filtering purposes Dave Crossland 9/7/12 1:41 PM
Hi Ben!

Sorry for my delay in responding :-)

On 13 April 2012 11:51, Ben Keen <ben....@gmail.com> wrote:

> [Apologies if this isn't the place to ask this question - I couldn't find a
> Google Web Font API group (probably because it's so straighforward).]

Yes, there is no API group, and the Google Web Fonts project is a small one :-)

> The Google Web Font site (http://www.google.com/webfonts) lets the user
> filter the visible fonts in the left nav on several criteria, including a
> "Category" (Serif, Sans Serif, Display, Handwriting). However, the API JSON
> feed (https://developers.google.com/webfonts/docs/developer_api) doesn't
> contain that information - only a "subset" field, which is the font style
> (Cyrillic, Greek, Latin etc).

Yes, the API is quite basic today.

> Any idea how I could get that information for each font?

You can get it from the METADATA files in the mercurial repo at
http://code.google.com/p/googlefontdirectory/ which are today in Java
Properties Format and as you can see from the new_tree branch in the
HG repo, are soon to become JSON format.

> Any plans on Google's part to provide that info via the API feed?

From my personal perspective, it does seem to me that Google doesn't
announce things until the day that they ship. Given how basic the
Developer API is and how much more useful it would be if it was
richer, I'm sure the small engineering team behind GWF will improve it
some day, but it is a small team, so please be patient :-)

Cheers
Dave