Opening up the Google+ API to write to.

Showing 1-15 of 16 messages
Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Mark Thomas 4/5/12 2:47 AM
Hi there.

We'd like to start posting to our page's stream via the G+ API. Does anyone know when and if that's planned or is there something I don't know that I should?
Re: Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Chris Chabot 4/5/12 8:52 AM
We don't have such plans at the moment Mark.
Re: Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Justin 4/6/12 8:37 AM
That's disappointing to hear.  I'd get "on" G+ a lot more if I were able to leverage apps like TweetDeck to interact with it, as I do my other social networks.
Re: Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Allen "Prisoner" Firstenberg 4/6/12 10:48 AM
Chris - I thought there were already some outside companies that Google is working with to allow uses to automatically update pages? (I remember a list being announced when the Pages came out, but I'm unable to find it quickly at the moment.)

Justin - is that actually "being on G+" tho, if you're just posting messages that you've posted everywhere? Can you interact with the comments on the various networks? (I've heard arguments on both sides, and I'd very much like to see a good write API... but I know people who used Buzz expressed disappointment at the very low quality of posts on there as being mostly stuff that they had seen their friends post elsewhere, with no interaction.)
Re: Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Vaidotas Stankus 4/8/12 5:40 PM
You should not forget, that being on G+ isn't a goal for most of users. For most of users the goal is to share information in controllable manner and get access to things shared by others, communicate about it.  So I still believe API with writing capabilities is needed and yes if that is not used for simple spamming, communication through TweetDeck (or similar apps) can be considered as "being on G+". Simply there are far too much social networks and friends spreading through them, that if you can't make your life easier, you simply move where the most of them are and ask others to do the same. G+ was a good try, even FB had to improve, but without writing I think it will die (hope not). Google should go google way and become less restrictive with this.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:47 AM, Mark Thomas  wrote:
Hi there.

We'd like to start posting to our page's stream via the G+ API. Does anyone know when and if that's planned or is there something I don't know that I should?

unk...@googlegroups.com 4/8/12 5:50 PM <This message has been deleted.>
unk...@googlegroups.com 4/8/12 5:53 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Mark Thomas 4/9/12 5:23 PM
My guess is that Google is missing on significant G+ opportunties by not allowing writes via the API. Totally understand why they don't allow it (uncontrolled content/spam) but I think Google should work on how they can allow it with controls so it doesn't take on twitter-esque proportions and get out of control. If Google gets this right I believe it could be a big step forward for G+.
Re: Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Dan Nemec 4/9/12 6:08 PM
Allen, don't forget that Google employees typically cannot comment on "unreleased" features. Google is obviously aware that Write apis are necessary for allowing Google+ to grow, and a number of Google employees have said that they're taking their time so that api features don't come out half-baked.

I take Chris' reply as less "we have no plans to implement that feature" and more "we have no specified release date for this feature".
Re: Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Julian Bond 4/9/12 11:07 PM
Mark Thomas <ma...@2review.net> Mon, 9 Apr 2012 17:23:20

>My guess is that Google is missing on significant G+ opportunties by
>not allowing writes via the API. Totally understand why they don't
>allow it (uncontrolled content/spam) but I think Google should work on
>how they can allow it with controls so it doesn't take on twitter-esque
>proportions and get out of control. If Google gets this right I believe
>it could be a big step forward for G+.

It didn't really work with Buzz. So what does Google need to do to make
the results of a Write API a good thing, or at least acceptable?

--
Julian Bond  E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com  M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
Webmaster:          http://www.ecademy.com/      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433

Re: Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Mark Thomas 4/10/12 3:10 PM
Well getting that right would take time to think about carefully as Google are doing.

Obviously Who, What and When would have to be pretty big things to sort out.

People should obviously be posting relevant messages, with a limited frequency, with content thats useful and valuable to their readers. API's that post the time thing over and over again and annoy users area obviously top of the list to be controlled.

Perhaps some way of the account's followers being able to decide whats spammy/relevant or not might be important and for that to be throttled back or stopped/ increased depending on what users say? I dunno...?

Perhaps google could set up categories and associate keywords with categories and state that x% of the message must contain keywords that are relevant to that category?

You might have to meet certain criteria to be allowed to post via API and have to earn that right to get and keep it.

Perhaps users could switch off messages delivered via API.

I don't know exactly, those are a few thoughts that came to mind quickly. With more thought they might not be the best thing, but thats what came first to mind.

Re: Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Abraham Williams 4/10/12 6:51 PM
I had a short rant about why Google+ shouldn't open up a write API for posting to streams. It struck up a lively debate that I thought some of you might be interested in reading. The discussion was more profile oriented rather than page but there is still some good thoughts and points.

https://plus.google.com/114233674199568482864/posts/CjRAEXbJ5W3

Abraham
--
Abraham Williams | InboxQ | abrah.am | abraham+
@abraham | github.com/abraham | blog.abrah.am

Why not just start by copying the FB approach? That is better than nothing. Its really disappointing that we can't make any useful application or have any social plugins to engage people.
When you are not a first mover, you have to leverage the competition at least.
Today I found a UI redesign in G+ wich is very attractive and useful. But I need to create a community in which G+ is just another gear. Being isolated is not seeing the Social game right.

G+ its an excellent product, but, time its NOT on our side. If G+ can't catch up FB soon its future is not so bright...
Re: Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Allen "Prisoner" Firstenberg 4/11/12 12:02 PM
Copying the FB approach also means copying their mistakes, and there are a lot of problems and mistakes with the FB method of API access. Just ask everyone who complains about being spammed by their friends begging for game stuff.
Re: Opening up the Google+ API to write to. Allen "Prisoner" Firstenberg 11/11/12 5:33 PM
Tomy,

The short answer is no.

The longer answer, however, is more convoluted. Although there are a couple of non-official solutions that may work, you don't really have many solutions that are supported.

There is, of course, the +1/share buttons... but these won't let you post to your page's stream when someone else does something on your site. It works for them to post it to their own stream, of course. (See https://developers.google.com/+/plugins/+1button/ and https://developers.google.com/+/plugins/share/)

There is the History API (https://developers.google.com/+/history/) which is still in "early developer preview" at the moment. Similar to the +1 button, however, this works for individuals but not pages, so it may not be suited for what you're trying to do.

Finally, there is the Pages API, which is in closed access at the moment. You can either work with a company such as HootSuite, which already has access, or request access yourself using https://developers.google.com/+/api/pages-signup . I do not have any insight about how quickly they are reviewing or accepting these applications, however.

Good luck,
Allen

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Tomy Francois <myrest...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I have been searching for such discussion over the web and finally got here, seems even these topics dated April, there have not been any updates so far! Actually, we have a major issue and would like to find a solution for this and hopefully with your helps guys.

We are running a restaurant guide website including a discussion forum, we are developing a streaming tool to automatically post all items (restaurants, discussion topics, blog etc.) that are added to our website to our G+ profile and our G+ page as well, is there anyway to do this?

We are hiring professional developer to do this integration, so better know if this is possible before we engage ourselves with professional developers.

Thanks for your answer and guidelines.