Problems with Tags disappearing from view

Showing 1-23 of 23 messages
Problems with Tags disappearing from view Sholto Ramsay 2/19/13 4:37 AM
I have noticed a number of reports on problems on tags so I will add
another.

We search for public images from a user using tags which are then
displayed through zend as image scroller etc
(example http://www.gobananas.com/party-with-the-club-class-bus-edinburgh.html
)

We have started experiencing problems where tagged images are not
being returned by the query. A common scenario is that the image will
display for a few days and then stop being returned.

It seems as though repulbishing the album in picasaweb as public
solves the problem. Another solution is to add an extra tag which can
be random and which then changes the status of the image in some way
so it is returned in the query.

To be clear: the tags remain on the image throughout the process. It
is simply that the image stops being returned by API query and also by
the picasaweb search.

The tags we use are esoteric like PR1212134 so they are easy to spot
if you search for them.

IS this something other people are experiencing or is this part of the
same 2013 tag problem?
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Tom Aertssens 2/24/13 11:45 AM
I'm having the exact same problem.
It's driving me mad. Took me days exactly to pinpoint what was happening.

I'm pulling pictures from albums with a json call.
Entire albums are never a problem, but pulling a subset from an album relying on tags can't be trusted.
Example album that has this problem:
tags 'zitbank' or 'fauteuil'.

Have you found other sources or solutions that were helpfull?
thanks in advance

Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Mark Gallop 2/26/13 5:12 AM
I am having similar issues. I suspect the old picasa api is on its way out to be replaced by the google+ photo api. Unfortunately, Google has left us floundering while they make the transition. I might have to move back to Flickr until they sort things out.

Mark
Re: [PWA API] Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Mike Erickson 2/26/13 9:23 AM
I've run through our API stack looking for changes or error reports that would match these symptoms, but I haven't found anything. Can you share a query that you expect to return results but is missing results on a tag search? You can either post here or email me directly.

Thank you.
-Mike

Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Sholto Ramsay 3/4/13 5:16 AM
as soon as we get a good example will post here.

it does not seem to be just api problem but problem arises in
picasaweb itself as well

On Feb 26, 10:23 pm, Michael Erickson <miketheg...@google.com> wrote:
> I've run through our API stack looking for changes or error reports that
> would match these symptoms, but I haven't found anything. Can you share a
> query that you expect to return results but is missing results on a tag
> search? You can either post here or email me directly.
>
> Thank you.
> -Mike
>

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 5:12 AM, Mark Gallop <m...@rollick.id.au> wrote:
> > I am having similar issues. I suspect the old picasa api is on its way out
> > to be replaced by the google+ photo api. Unfortunately, Google has left us
> > floundering while they make the transition. I might have to move back to
> > Flickr until they sort things out.
>
> > Mark
>
> > On Tuesday, 19 February 2013 19:37:18 UTC+7, Sholto Ramsay wrote:
>
> >> I have noticed a number of reports on problems on tags so I will add
> >> another.
>
> >> We search for public images from a user using tags which are then
> >> displayed through zend as image scroller etc
> >> (examplehttp://www.gobananas.com/**party-with-the-club-class-bus-**
> >> edinburgh.html<http://www.gobananas.com/party-with-the-club-class-bus-edinburgh.html>
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Tom Aertssens 3/5/13 2:57 AM
It's hard to show an example of the problem since the problem seems to disappear en reappear all the time.
Besides I was using a plugin (pwaplusphp in wordpress) en tought maybe that was causing it.

But I tried the same in javascript and ran into similar problems:

EXAMPLE:
The album in question:

I have a full screen slideshow where I use the json feed with a callback function:
This works like a charm:

Among others there's a tag 'dressoir' in this album.
This seems to return a json result:

BUT The images don't show up:

I get an error: "Cannot read property 'length' of undefined" in the callback function

BUT STRANGELY:
I'm doing the exact same thing with this album:

The fullscreen slideshow selecting only with tag=dressoir
Works perfectly!

What is going wrong??

Thx.

Re: [PWA API] Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Mark Gallop 3/5/13 3:54 AM

Hi Mike,

This is what I am trying:

but it doesn't return any results even though I have tagged a couple of photos with "pano".

Oh, and any hints as to when the google+ photo api will be released? It would be nice to be able to return ordered results :-)

Cheers,
Mark
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Tom Aertssens 3/12/13 11:30 AM
No progress on this issue?
I found the following information in another forum post:
"The cause is that there was an old setting to opt out of having your images added to the public index.  This option is no longer available in the UI, so there is no way for a user to un-set it.
The API uses the index to produce some of its lists, so because I had opted out long ago the queries would return nothing as there was nothing in the index to find.
Michael has reset the setting on my account, and by the time I tested it a few hours later, all was indexed and working as expected."

Can this have anything to do with it?

Re: [PWA API] Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Mike Erickson 3/12/13 11:38 AM

Sorry, but no progress yet. I asked someone about it last week bury they didn't look into it. I pinged them about it again yesterday and will follow up today.

I don't think it's related to the indexing preference because that would be a consistent failure, but this failure seems related to the specific album.

Re: [PWA API] Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Mike Erickson 3/12/13 9:35 PM
After we did some more digging, it looks like we need some more data to reproduce the error. The request from Mark Gallop fails because of the public index preference that Tom pointed out. It looks like the requests for Tom's albums are working now, probably because he made some changes to get them reindexed, so although I had been previously reproduced the error (one album request returned no photos, one returned four), those requests succeeded tonight.

Tom, did you do something to that album to get the request to succeed again?

It took a long time to get someone to dig through the backend for me, I'm sorry. Does anyone, by chance, have a request that's failing?

Thank you.
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Sholto Ramsay 3/18/13 2:49 AM
We seem to have lost quite a few image results. Adding new tags
refreshes some images but lots of images have stopped being returned.

If you add a tag to an album, it looks like all the images in that
album are reindexed

If you search for PR4940 you should get a lot of images returned
(20+), but a picasa search only returns 7 which were indexed today

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=PR4940&uname=102367800977908714611&psc=G&filter=1

Here are 2 examples of an image not being returned

https://picasaweb.google.com/102367800977908714611/CCBWebpictures#5795742570893214770

https://picasaweb.google.com/102367800977908714611/CCBWebpictures#5797250259525183410

(It is possible by the time you look this will have changed)

On Mar 13, 4:35 am, Michael Erickson <miketheg...@google.com> wrote:
> After we did some more digging, it looks like we need some more data to
> reproduce the error. The request from Mark Gallop fails because of the
> public index preference that Tom pointed out. It looks like the requests
> for Tom's albums are working now, probably because he made some changes to
> get them reindexed, so although I had been previously reproduced the error
> (one album request returned no photos, one returned four), those requests
> succeeded tonight.
>
> Tom, did you do something to that album to get the request to succeed
> again?
>
> It took a long time to get someone to dig through the backend for me, I'm
> sorry. Does anyone, by chance, have a request that's failing?
>
> Thank you.
>
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Michael Erickson <merick...@google.com>wrote:
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Sholto Ramsay 3/19/13 4:25 AM
I also know that if you update a tag in an image or add another tag,
they will immediately appear again in search and RSS. So it seems to
be an indexing thing

On Mar 18, 9:49 am, Sholto Ramsay <ramsay.sho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We seem to have lost quite a few image results. Adding new tags
> refreshes some images but lots of images have stopped being returned.
>
> If you add a tag to an album, it looks like all the images in that
> album are reindexed
>
> If you search for PR4940 you should get a lot of images returned
> (20+), but a picasa search only returns 7 which were indexed today
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=PR4940&uname=10236780097790871...
>
> Here are 2 examples of an image not being returned
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/102367800977908714611/CCBWebpictures#579...
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/102367800977908714611/CCBWebpictures#579...
Re: [PWA API] Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Mike Erickson 3/19/13 9:21 AM
For that particular query through the servlet you linked above, there's a link on the bottom of the page that says,
"In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to those already displayed.
If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included."

If you click that link, it flips the filter=1 parameter to a 0, and returns 51 results. The same thing happens when you make the query through the API by that tag name:

Sorry, not a smoking gun. Unless you already made changes to those albums and it triggered a reindex. Curses.

Thanks,
-Mike
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Sholto Ramsay 3/20/13 4:45 AM
Michael, thankyou for looking at this

I noticed the reindex comment. What we have done is redated albums to
prompt a reindex so we can see what happens... and hey presto the
images are reappearing immediately.

Is the issue related to indexing of images and reindexing. What can we
do to ensure that images remain indexed. Is it intentional that images
should fall away from the index?

On Mar 19, 4:21 pm, Michael Erickson <miketheg...@google.com> wrote:
> For that particular query through the servlet you linked above, there's a
> link on the bottom of the page that says,
> "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some
> entries very similar to those already displayed.
> If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results
> included<https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=PR4940&uname=10236780097790871...>
> ."
>
> If you click that link, it flips the filter=1 parameter to a 0, and returns
> 51 results. The same thing happens when you make the query through the API
> by that tag name:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/data/feed/api/user/102367800977908714611?...
>
> Sorry, not a smoking gun. Unless you already made changes to those albums
> and it triggered a reindex. Curses.
>
> Thanks,
> -Mike
>
> On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 2:49 AM, Sholto Ramsay <ramsay.sho...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > We seem to have lost quite a few image results. Adding new tags
> > refreshes some images but lots of images have stopped being returned.
>
> > If you add a tag to an album, it looks like all the images in that
> > album are reindexed
>
> > If you search for PR4940 you should get a lot of images returned
> > (20+), but a picasa search only returns 7 which were indexed today
>
> >https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/view?q=PR4940&uname=10236780097790871...
>
> > Here are 2 examples of an image not being returned
>
> >https://picasaweb.google.com/102367800977908714611/CCBWebpictures#579...
>
> >https://picasaweb.google.com/102367800977908714611/CCBWebpictures#579...
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Tom Aertssens 3/25/13 8:31 AM
I didn't post for a some days because magically everything seemed to be solved.
But without any change at all. The 'bug' returned:

Both of these queries returned (and should still return) several images:

But only the 2nd one is still working correctly

You can see both albums here to confirm that the both contain imags tagged 'tafel' (=dutch for table)

The words 'this is driving me crazy' are close to being an understatement.

Can you confirm that your seeing the problem?
Feedback is really appriciated!

Re: [PWA API] Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Mike Erickson 3/25/13 9:18 AM
I can do some more checking, but here's what I've found so far.

I checked a large album that had 13 photos with a specific tag. I then checked the index for each of those 13 photos to verify that they had that tag associated with the item. All thirteen had the tag I was checking for, which is good. I then issued the request against our backend to fetch photos from the index with that tag, and I got back only 9 of the 13.

I need to look into what's happening on the query to the index to get these values, but something is definitely happening, and now I have a hard example to work with. I'll keep digging. I've been told that there should be some improvements to our indexing and retrieval coming soon which should help with this problem, but I'm not sure when that will happen.

Thank you for the additional example, I'll check through those and see if anything interesting is there.

@Sholto Ramsay, to answer your question, your photos should definitely not fall out of the index. I'm not sure why they're not all being returned, but I'll take a look.

Re: [PWA API] Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Geoff Janes 4/22/13 11:15 AM
I checked today and I notice that it appears my tag searches are returning the appropriate number of results.  Just wondering if a problem was found and fixed to correct the issue?

If so, thank you for your efforts!
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Mark Gallop 4/24/13 2:24 AM
So I tried Sholto's trick of re-dating the album and immediately I start getting results from the same tag query.

.... Spoke too soon. Within 10 minutes the queries stopped working again. +1 for "this is driving me crazy!".

Mark
Re: [PWA API] Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Mike Erickson 5/8/13 12:23 PM
I agree that this is frustrating. I've chased the issue all the way back to the indexing layer, but didn't find any help tracking it down from there.

I'm assured that changes are coming in the search layer, which should make this work. There are some blocking issues, but hopefully we'll have this resolved soon.

Thank you for you patience,
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Tomas Cerny 7/26/13 7:56 AM
We are facing perhaps the indexing issue with our albums and tags. It has some non-deterministic temporal conditions, perhaps indexing time (Now July 26, 4:35PM CET)

Here I prepared an example - the output should give 148 results but gives 0 sometimes 30, etc.

Here is the album : https://picasaweb.google.com/hq.icpc/Test_1 with 148 images

The album has a description "AlbumTest_1" and each picture has a tag "event$Team Photos

Here is the query:
http://picasaweb.google.com/data/feed/api/user/hq.icpc/?kind=photo&q=AlbumTest_1&tag=event$\\\"Team Photos\\\"&start-index=1&max-results=25&thumbsize=72c&imgmax=512&access=public&alt=json

Gives 0 (quotes and backslash changes does not impact the result )

http://picasaweb.google.com/data/feed/api/user/hq.icpc/?kind=photo&q=AlbumTest_1&start-index=1&max-results=25&thumbsize=72c&imgmax=512&access=public&alt=json

Gives 0

Listing album gives me all

All

25 (restricted)

Well I need to use the description "AlbumTest_1" (or any other) as a join for multiple albums, which works most of the time.

we assume it has something to do with the indexing option: "Public on the web" vs. "Limited, anyone with the link".

This temporal issue that comes up time to time is really bugging our clients, as we are not delivering the images.
Any fix to this issue is very appreciated :)).

I can provide more examples if it helps to debug the issue :D

Thanks,
Tomas
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Sholto Ramsay 8/22/13 6:25 AM
I think this temporal issue is still ongoing as we randomly stop being able to retrieve images.

Usually, we redating the album helps to kick the index back into action, but I am worried that the Picasaweb API is not gettin much love from Google and is likely to become another casualty soon.

We might to find a nother service that enables tagging and API retrieval. Any ideas would be gratefully received
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view John 8/23/13 2:54 AM
I have this problem from more than a year. Now it comes again. My public feed rss by tag doesn't work. I hope it will recover. The best thing you can do is create a parallel database with the picasa photos url and tags. There are some scripts to download and create XML: http://cnanney.com/journal/utilities/picasa-xml-generator/ (but it doesnt download tags)   or you can create one yourself from a PHP HTML parser, the same technique used in the script.

On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 1:37:18 PM UTC+1, Sholto Ramsay wrote:
Re: Problems with Tags disappearing from view Rohan Kohli 3/23/14 11:43 AM
I just ran into this exact same problem of the picasa api returning incomplete and inconsistent search results when searching by a tag. Wondering if you found a way to get around this issue? Its strange if its a bug thats existed for more than a year and not been fixed!

Thanks,

Rohan
More topics »