[appengine-python] Python based client to send data to GAE.

Showing 1-3 of 3 messages
[appengine-python] Python based client to send data to GAE. Jimmy 12/23/09 9:57 PM
I apologize first if this is a repost, I have searched through google
as well as looking at about 500 of the previous post in the group. But
I can't seems to find what I'm looking for.

I have a python based client software that runs on the user end that
is responsible for getting data from the serial port for some
experimental data in terms of binary data. I want to write the python
client so it has the ability to send this binary data to GAE to do
post process (i.e., a string of 01001011001 would be something like 34
23 56 34 0.1 number with unit that means something). I then want the
GAE to store the binary stream in the GQL but then I want the GAE to
pass the decoded data back to the user and either display by opening
up a browser or have the python client receive the decided text and
display it for the end user.

I'm confused as to how I could pass value into the GAE and have GAE
process it. I'm under the idea that the GET/PUT command is merely the
interaction between end user and the data base. Sot this is what I'm
confused about. Thanks in advance.

Re: [appengine-python] Python based client to send data to GAE. Wim den Ouden 12/24/09 4:17 AM
Hi Jimmy,
with urllib you can call a webapp service (wich you have to write to process the data and give the answers) on gae

mport urllib
import urllib2

url = 'http://www.someserver.com/cgi-bin/register.cgi'
values = {'name' : 'Michael Foord',
          'location' : 'Northampton',
          'language' : 'Python' }

data = urllib.urlencode(values)
req = urllib2.Request(url, data)
response = urllib2.urlopen(req)
the_page = response.read()

on gae you can save it in the datastore etc
gr
wim

gr
wdo

software developer based on google app engine

http://sites.google.com/site/wdenouden/
demo:
site: http://wdenouden.appspot.com
applications: http://wdenouden.appspot.com/app/
free source: http://code.google.com/p/relat/source/browse/#svn/trunk/relat/app
bsd license: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php
profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/wdenouden
Re: [appengine-python] Python based client to send data to GAE. Wim den Ouden 12/24/09 4:29 AM
Hi Jimmy,
forgot this link, maybe it clears more
gr
wim