Need assistance setting up PyDev Google App Engine project in Eclipse on Mac OS X

Showing 1-4 of 4 messages
Need assistance setting up PyDev Google App Engine project in Eclipse on Mac OS X Jeff Fohl 8/18/09 2:40 PM
Hello Experts!

I have tried everything I can think of, and read all of the
documentation I can find, as well as searched the Web and this group
for help with this problem, all to no avail. So, finally, I am here to
ask your assistance.

I am trying to set up my development environment for GAE, using Python
in Eclipse, with the PyDev plugin from Aptana - all on Mac OS X. I
have followed all of the steps that I believe are necessary, but I
keep running into an error when I try to set up a new PyDev Google App
Engine project.

These are my steps so far:

1. Create a new PyDev Google App Engine Project
2. I am prompted to select a wizard. I select "PyDev Google App Engine
Project
3. I click "Next" and enter a name for the project.
4. I click "Next" and I am prompted to select a Google App Engine
Directory. Since I am on a Mac, I have symlinks installed under /usr/
local/bin for all of the GoogleAppEngineLauncher function calls. So, I
enter /usr/local/bin as the directory here. This is where I get an
error, and the wizard will not let me proceed. This is the error I
get: "Invalid Google App Engine directory. Did not find: VERSION in /
usr/local/bin"

Anyone know what "VERSION" is supposed to mean, and how to fix this?
Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Jeff
Re: Need assistance setting up PyDev Google App Engine project in Eclipse on Mac OS X Ryan W 9/10/09 9:55 PM
Hi Jeff, I just ran into this problem as well.  You probably figured
it out, but since I stumbled upon it from Google, thought I'd post the
solution anyway for others.

Enter the following:

/Applications/GoogleAppEngineLauncher.app/Contents/Resources/
GoogleAppEngine-default.bundle/Contents/Resources/google_appengine/

The symlink path points here.

Ryan
Re: [appengine-python] Re: Need assistance setting up PyDev Google App Engine project in Eclipse on Mac OS X Rob 9/11/09 7:04 AM
I was thinking of doing a tutorial for Mac OS X, much like the windows one to document gotcha's like this, anybody know how to publish one of these?  I've got images etc. ready to go.

Or, I guess, I could just blog it :-)
Re: Need assistance setting up PyDev Google App Engine project in Eclipse on Mac OS X athanhcong 9/24/09 8:44 PM
I just want to add another case of this problem in Linux.
The solution is rename the 'version' file in google_appengine folder
to 'VERSION'
Then it works!