Regarding Tkinter import error

Showing 1-5 of 5 messages
Regarding Tkinter import error seshupriya 3/4/10 10:39 AM
Hi everybody,

I am trying to develop a simple GUI interface using Tkinter to be
integrated with google app engine.

The application runs fine without the GAE.

When i am integrating the application with GAE, i get an error which
says:

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 41, in <module>
    raise ImportError, str(msg) + ', please install the python-tk
package'
ImportError: No module named _tkinter, please install the python-tk
package

I checked the necessary directories and found that _tkinter exists in
the /usr/lib/python-2.5/lib-dynload/ directory.I dont understand why i
am unable to import _tkinter, when i am able run the application just
fine when not integrated with the GAE.

I hope anybody who has faced the similar problem can help me out.

Thanks so much,
Seshupriya Alluru

Re: [appengine-python] Regarding Tkinter import error kish 3/4/10 12:36 PM
> ImportError: No module named _tkinter, please install the python-tk

--Kish
---------------
Esse Quam Videri
krisk.wordpress.com

Re: [appengine-python] Regarding Tkinter import error Nick Johnson (Google) 3/5/10 4:38 AM
Hi,

The dev_appserver deliberately disables access to libraries in your site-packages directory, in order to emulate the production environment (since your site-packages directory is not accessible from App Engine).

Normally, the solution is to copy the required libraries into a subdirectory of your app. In the case of this module, however, it requires a native library, which will not function on App Engine.

Also, tkinter, being a windowing interface, would be fundamentally unusable on App Engine even if native libraries were supported. What are you trying to do?

-Nick Johnson

Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine
Google Ireland Ltd. :: Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number: 368047
Re: Regarding Tkinter import error seshupriya 3/9/10 8:18 PM
Thank you for your time.

It solved my problem

On Mar 5, 7:38 am, "Nick Johnson (Google)" <nick.john...@google.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The dev_appserver deliberately disables access to libraries in your
> site-packages directory, in order to emulate the production environment
> (since your site-packages directory is not accessible from App Engine).
>
> Normally, the solution is to copy the required libraries into a subdirectory
> of your app. In the case of this module, however, it requires a native
> library, which will not function on App Engine.
>
> Also, tkinter, being a windowing interface, would be fundamentally unusable
> on App Engine even if native libraries were supported. What are you trying
> to do?
>
> -Nick Johnson

> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine-python?hl=en.
>
> --
> Nick Johnson, Developer Programs Engineer, App Engine
> Google Ireland Ltd. :: Registered in Dublin, Ireland, Registration Number:
> 368047

Re: [appengine-python] Re: Regarding Tkinter import error kish 3/11/10 10:43 AM
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 9:48 AM, seshupriya <sesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your time.
>
> It solved my problem

 Please post your solution as well.