A list of changes since Go 1

Showing 1-8 of 8 messages
A list of changes since Go 1 Rémy Oudompheng 11/15/12 11:59 PM
Hello,

Some days ago I tried to gather a condensed form of Changelog since
people have been asking what was coming in Go 1.1 and I was also
interested in explaining and foreseeing what changes/benefits it would
be bringing. This is of course absolutely not normative in any way.
Most bug fixes are already in Go 1.0.3 so almost none is mentioned.

* Support Linux/ARM in cgo.
* Support NetBSD
* Support FreeBSD/ARM
* Support SWIG
* amd64 ints are now 64 bits.
* Compiler and libraries now conform to Unicode 6.2

spec
  * Unicode surrogates are now illegal
  * initial BOM is ignored

compiler
  * better escape analysis
  * more inlining capabilities
  * various bug/ICE fixes.
  * arm, 386: faster generated code
  * arm: remove softfloat code when GOARM=7
  * arm: use more registers
  * amd64: correct bug with 64 bit to 32 bit truncation
  * amd64: better floating-point code
  * inline some slice operations
  * inline small conversions to interface{}

linker
  * add ELF PAX headers to binaries
  * support for linking syso files
  * support for build ID

runtime
  * faster software division on ARM
  * race detector
  * contention profiler
  * precise GC (not yet in tip)
  * parallel GC
  * lower memory overhead of mem profile

Package changes
--------

archive/tar
  * new FileInfoHeader function

archive/zip
  * support for ZIP64

bufio
  * add ReadFrom, WriteTo methods
  * ReadLine is discouraged

bytes, strings
  * new Reader.WriteTo method

bytes
  * new Buffer.Grow method
  * assembly routines for ARM
  * Join returns a copy when supplied with a single []byte

compress/flate
  * lower memory pressure

crypto/aes
  * support AES-NI acceleration

crypto/md5
  * performance improvements

crypto/rsa
  * reject exponents that don't fit an int32

crypto/x509
  * suport for ECDSA
  * new DecryptBlock function

debug/elf
  * expose Entry
  * support for reading DynTag

debug/pe
  * support for symbols

encoding/binary
  * skip blank struct fields

encoding/gob
  * smaller decoder memory footprint

encoding/json
  * new Number type

encoding/xml
  * handle anonymous pointer fields

fmt
  * performance improvement
  * honor %d etc. for pointers

go/scanner
  * faster

go/parser
  * performance improvement

hash/adler32
  * performance improvement

image/jpeg
  * support 4:4:0 subsampling
  * support progressive JPEG decoding

image/png
  * performance improvement
  * optimize encoding for common image types

io
  * new ByteWriter interface

math/big
  * JSON marshalling
  * performance improvement in Mul, Gcd.
  * faster Exp

math
  * more assembly routines

net
  * IPv6 support on Windows
  * new LookupNS
  * add UnixConn.CloseRead, CloseWrite

net/http
  * cleanup and fixes

net/mail
  * more liberal parsing of Date

net/url
  * correct URL escaping
  * make Encode deterministic

reflect
  * new MakeFunc, Select
  * new ConvertibleTo, Convert
  * Index and Slice accept strings

strconv
  * extend fast float parsing/printing to all cases

strings
  * faster Replacer

syscall
  * various new syscalls

testing
  * new Verbose function
  * memory allocation stats

text/scanner
  * skip initial BOM

text/template
  * synxtax addition with parentheses
  * spaces are significant
  * new keyword nil

time
  * change to RFC822 string
  * accept .999 in Parse
  * faster Format
  * panic if UnixNano overflows
  * add Time.YearDay method

unicode/utf8
  * reject out of range runes.

new package: html (maybe go/types too?)

Tools and commands
------

cgo
  * better support for gccgo

go
  * join function in go tool template
  * -benchmem option to go tool
  * better support for gccgo

godoc
  * website revamp

gofmt
  * simplify s[x:len(s)]

vet
  * detect misuse of range variable

yacc
  * accept UTF-8 tokens

misc
  * new gophertool for Chrome

Rémy.
Re: [go-nuts] A list of changes since Go 1 Sebastien Binet 11/16/12 12:18 AM
Rémy,

> Hello,
>
> Some days ago I tried to gather a condensed form of Changelog since
> people have been asking what was coming in Go 1.1 and I was also
> interested in explaining and foreseeing what changes/benefits it would
> be bringing. This is of course absolutely not normative in any way.
> Most bug fixes are already in Go 1.0.3 so almost none is mentioned.

[...]

nice summary.
thanks!

-s
Re: A list of changes since Go 1 Johann Höchtl 11/16/12 1:30 AM

Am Freitag, 16. November 2012 08:59:56 UTC+1 schrieb Rémy Oudompheng:
As this option has been mentioned, the race detector switch would warrant a mention here too.
Re: [go-nuts] Re: A list of changes since Go 1 Jackie 11/16/12 9:35 AM
This is exciting!

Jackie
Re: A list of changes since Go 1 Dustin 11/16/12 10:40 AM
Rémy Oudompheng <remyoud...@gmail.com>
writes:

> misc
>   * new gophertool for Chrome

  What is gophertool?  I can't find anything on it with a quick browse
except for the source dir.  Looks like some kind of code review add-on
or something?

--
dustin

[go-nuts] A list of changes since Go 1 minux 11/16/12 10:56 AM

On Saturday, November 17, 2012, Dustin Sallings wrote:
Rémy Oudompheng <remyoudompheng@gmail.com>

writes:

> misc
>   * new gophertool for Chrome

  What is gophertool?  I can't find anything on it with a quick browse
except for the source dir.  Looks like some kind of code review add-on
or something?
$GOROOT/misc/chrome/gophertool

it is a useful chrome plugin for go developers, which makes it easy
to go to a particular cl, issue or revision easy.
not that useful if you don't hack the go project.

try it and you will see.
[go-nuts] A list of changes since Go 1 minux 11/16/12 11:01 AM

writes:

> misc
>   * new gophertool for Chrome

  What is gophertool?  I can't find anything on it with a quick browse
except for the source dir.  Looks like some kind of code review add-on
or something?
Re: [go-nuts] A list of changes since Go 1 pere....@gmail.com 12/2/12 4:53 AM
Very impressed with go. I'm recommending this new language to all my friends. It's really wonderful!!