Faye on Heroku?

Showing 1-5 of 5 messages
Faye on Heroku? James Coglan 4/4/11 12:18 PM
Quick question: is anyone running Faye on Heroku? Did you have any
problems? Which version are you using? Someone just asked about this
on GitHub so need some info.
Re: Faye on Heroku? Ryan Bates 4/4/11 1:09 PM
I don't think Heroku allows you to run separate processes like this,
does it? I imagine you would need to keep Faye on a separate host.
Someone asked the same thing on the Railscasts episode and I pointed
them to Pusher if they aren't interested in managing a separate
server.

Ryan
Re: Faye on Heroku? James Coglan 4/4/11 1:14 PM
On 4 April 2011 21:09, Ryan Bates <rails...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't think Heroku allows you to run separate processes like this,
does it? I imagine you would need to keep Faye on a separate host.
Someone asked the same thing on the Railscasts episode and I pointed
them to Pusher if they aren't interested in managing a separate
server.

Well, you can use Faye as middleware in front of your app, like this:

use Faye::RackAdapter, :mount => '/faye'
run My::Application

It then lives on the same host as your app under the /faye path. I'm more concerned about how Heroku manages Rack/Node processes; since Faye maintains all subscription state in the process's memory, so killing the process due to idleness, or spinning up multiple instances of it does not work. This should change once the Redis backend ships (can you run Redis on Heroku?) since it makes the web layer stateless, but right now this is a hard limit. The Ruby version also only works under Thin.
Re: Faye on Heroku? Luca Guidi 4/4/11 1:20 PM
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:14 PM, James Coglan <jco...@gmail.com> wrote:
 (can you run Redis on Heroku?)

You can use Redistogo as addon.

Luca
--
http://about.me/jodosha
Re: Faye on Heroku? Michael van Rooijen 4/4/11 6:04 PM