WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android

Showing 1-51 of 51 messages
WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Punyabrata Ray 3/6/13 12:38 PM
We have released WebRTC support, sitting behind a flag, as part of the M26 Chrome Beta for Android release.

This is an early release - many things will not work well or at all. There is much work left  and challenges to overcome. Additionally, we have only had a chance to test this on a limited set of devices. So, please bear with us as we work towards enabling WebRTC by default on Chrome for Android.

Our hope is that with this release, developers can begin to see how WebRTC on Chrome for Android will shape up in the coming months, and get a sense of how their WebRTC-enabled websites and web apps will need to evolve for mobile platforms.

To enable WebRTC on Chrome Dev for Android (screenshots below):
1. Type in “chrome://flags” in the omnibox to access the flags
2. Scroll about a third down and enable the "Enable WebRTC" flag
3. You will be asked to relaunch the browser at the bottom of the page in order for the flag to take effect.

Known issues:
At the time of this posting, Chrome Beta for Android was failing a permissions check on Nexus 7, therefore failing to install on this particular device. This has been addressed and should be pushed out to the Android Play store today or tomorrow.

1. Audio sounds choppy and warbled especially on devices where the CPU is heavily loaded
2. Acoustic echo cancellation on mobile platforms is not working well
3. Chroma components received from the Galaxy S3 camera drivers are swapped (colors look inverted)
4. DTLS via OpenSSL on Android fails and needs to be disabled
5. General stability and complexity issues

Tips on making calls with AppRTC on Chrome Beta for Android:
1. To disable DTLS (see known issue #4), please add “compat=false” to the AppRTC link (ex: https://apprtc.appspot.com/?r=<roomname>&compat=false)
2. The default resolution used by AppRTC is 640x480, which is too complex for certain mobile devices. Therefore if you notice a low frame rate or a loaded CPU, we recommend using the "maxre" parameter to set the call to a lower resolution, such as 320x240 (ex: https://apprtc.appspot.com/?r=<roomname>&compat=false&maxre=320x240)
3. To debug connection issues, you can always try a call in loopback mode. (ex. https://apprtc.appspot.com/?debug=loopback&compat=false&maxre=320x240)

3 Screenshots:
1. Enabling the WebRTC flag in chrome://flags

2. Accepting camera and mic permissions

3. Loopback call

Thank you.
Ray on behalf of the WebRTC team.
Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android PhistucK 3/6/13 1:24 PM
This is a great milestone.
Thank you for all of your work! :)

PhistucK

--

---

Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Gökhan Gökçe 3/6/13 1:29 PM
I've tried and everything is quiet good. But the sound come dirty. Maybe my local network problem i think. Nice Job.

Thanks

6 Mart 2013 Çarşamba 22:38:40 UTC+2 tarihinde Punyabrata Ray yazdı:
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Albert Abello 3/6/13 1:56 PM
WOAH! Great to see that, the guys from Firefox seemed to have a neat version of WebRTC working in their OS back in the MWC :)
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Mamadou 3/6/13 2:40 PM
just one word: AWESOME.
With very small changes I got it working with sipml5.org on google
nexus.
The video freezes as said in the initial mail but the only annoying
bug I found when calling the PSTN is the one reported at
https://groups.google.com/group/discuss-webrtc/browse_thread/thread/a216332debd049bc#

On Mar 6, 9:38 pm, Punyabrata Ray <punyabr...@webrtc.org> wrote:
> *We have released WebRTC support, sitting behind a flag, as part of the M26
> Chrome Beta for Android release<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chrome.beta>.
> (ex.https://apprtc.appspot.com/?debug=loopback&compat=false&maxre=320x240)*
> *
> *
> *3 Screenshots:*
> 1. Enabling the WebRTC flag in chrome://flags
> **
> *
> *
> 2. Accepting camera and mic permissions
> **
>
> 3. Loopback call
> **
> *
> *
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Ket 3/6/13 8:25 PM
Thank you for your work. I've been expecting this for long time. Hope to see it on stable Chrome for Android soon.
Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Stephan Bardubitzki 3/6/13 8:27 PM
This is really great news and many thanks for all the hard work.

However, I have the following issue

on my laptop

status bar says "waiting for someone to join ..."

but when I enter the room from my Google Galaxy Nexus

it says "Sorry, this room is full"

Am I doing something wrong?

--

---

Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Justin Uberti 3/6/13 9:27 PM
Need to set compat=false on both sides of the call.
Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Stephan Bardubitzki 3/6/13 9:44 PM
Nope, same thing with compat=false on both sides.
Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Ami Fischman 3/6/13 9:56 PM

Each room (&r= parameter) can only have two participants present, and apprtc sometimes loses track of the fact that one or both have left.   Try a new room and make sure you enter it exactly once on laptop and once on android.

-a

Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Silvia Pfeiffer 3/7/13 1:41 AM
This is awesome - I discovered it by chance last night after a chrome beta update on my Nexus 4.

However... I'm only getting to the "Connecting..." stage. In inspector on Desktop Chrome V27 I can see it saying "Remote stream added." and then

C->S: {"type":"candidate","label":0,"id":"audio","candidate":"a=candidate:3424314662 1 tcp 1509957375 192.168.88.248 50984 typ host generation 0\r\n"} apprtc.appspot.com/:252
C->S: {"type":"candidate","label":1,"id":"video","candidate":"a=candidate:3424314662 1 tcp 1509957375 192.168.88.248 50984 typ host generation 0\r\n"} apprtc.appspot.com/:252
End of candidates. apprtc.appspot.com/:318
S->C: {"type":"candidate","label":0,"id":"audio","candidate":"a=candidate:3062141065 1 tcp 1509957375 10.190.20.117 52036 typ host generation 0\r\n"} apprtc.appspot.com/:286
S->C: {"type":"candidate","label":1,"id":"video","candidate":"a=candidate:3062141065 1 tcp 1509957375 10.190.20.117 52036 typ host generation 0\r\n"}

but they never actually connect even with &compat=false in both. :-(

Very excited about this!
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android PM 3/7/13 2:15 AM
Great job!

I have tested between my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 and my desktop computer and it worked ok. The only issue was that video capture in my tablet comes in black and white.

Regards,
PM
Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Álvaro Alonso 3/7/13 4:00 AM
Great job!

We have tested the compatibility of Chrome beta with our webRTC MCU Lynckia and it also works!

If you want you can try it installing Lynckia in your computers (www.lynckia.com)

Congrats again for the effort!

Regards,
Álvaro

2013/3/7 PM <marg...@gmail.com>

--

---

Álvaro
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Iñaki Baz Castillo 3/7/13 4:14 AM
El miércoles, 6 de marzo de 2013 21:38:40 UTC+1, Punyabrata Ray escribió:
We have released WebRTC support, sitting behind a flag, as part of the M26 Chrome Beta for Android release.

Hi, Chrome Beta for Android perfectly works with JsSIP, tested right now in http://tryit.jssip.net !

Good work!

BTW: When will Android provide a native WebRTC stack so native (or HTML5) apps can make use of it? :)
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Iñaki Baz Castillo 3/7/13 4:53 AM
El jueves, 7 de marzo de 2013 13:14:13 UTC+1, Iñaki Baz Castillo escribió:
Hi, Chrome Beta for Android perfectly works with JsSIP, tested right now in http://tryit.jssip.net !

Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Gökhan Gökçe 3/7/13 5:00 AM
I've tried this with firefox nightly on apprtc.appspot.com. Firefox and Google chrome beta for android does not talk each other. Just saying Connecting... That's all.

Anybody tried this?

6 Mart 2013 Çarşamba 22:38:40 UTC+2 tarihinde Punyabrata Ray yazdı:
We have released WebRTC support, sitting behind a flag, as part of the M26 Chrome Beta for Android release.
Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Philipp Hancke 3/7/13 5:07 AM
Well, the notes say DTLS doesn't work and Firefox requires DTLS... so that is not unexpected.
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Santiago Troncoso 3/7/13 5:11 AM
Hi!

The Qoffee SIP stack from Quobis is working great!
I tested it on a Asus tablet and it went ok

Tchüss!
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Warren McDonald 3/7/13 5:26 AM
We have also tested our new WebRTC web app and the code proven on desktop runs very nicely without any modifications on Android, even on the first beta. We have  a presentation to an important audience later today, and this news will add to the impact :)

Warren
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Pierrick Grasland 3/7/13 6:17 AM
Hi,

This work great ! Thanks for the update. By the way, does this version allow us to select the camera (for example, switching to the back camera on a S3) ?
Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Philipp Hancke 3/7/13 7:09 AM
> To disable DTLS (see known issue #4), please add “compat=false” to the AppRTC link (ex: https://apprtc.appspot.com/?r=<roomname>&compat=false)

This would be unneccessary if you added a simple navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Android') != -1 check that removes the DtlsSrtpKeyAgreement constraint ;-)
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Lorenzo Miniero 3/7/13 7:11 AM
Very pleased to see it works on Meetecho as well :-)
Great work guys!
Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Leo Wang 3/7/13 7:27 AM
Gokan,
What device did you test? What was the cpu usage in this test? An "adb bugreport" is very helpful.
It could be a known issue, I want to collect more information about such problem.
Thanks

--

---

Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Leo Wang 3/7/13 7:33 AM
Hi PM, what tablet did you test?

--

---

Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Kevin Glass 3/7/13 7:46 AM
This is fantastic work guys, thank you so much for the efforts.

We've tested against HTC One X and Motorola Xoom Tablet with great success on both. Tested:

Android Chrome Beta <-> Android Chrome Beta
Android Chrome Beta <-> Mac Chrome Beta/Stable
Android Chrome Beta <-> Windows Chrome Beta/Stable
Android Chrome Beta <-> iPad Thrupoint Longboard Soft Client (H264 Video)
Android Chrome Beta <-> Windows Counterpath Bria Soft Client (H264 Video)
Android Chrome Beta <-> Audio Only to PSTN Gateway

Just setting up now to test against Cisco video endpoints (9971, EX60 etc)

All working as expected and with good performance - though very warm phones at times :). Only issues we saw were that once the camera had been used by Chrome Beta it couldn't be used by any other application until phone restart.

Screenshots and details here:

Again, thanks for the hard work. Much appreciated!

Cheers,

Kev

--

---

Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Andrey Vyrodov 3/7/13 7:53 AM
Tested on Nexus4 - Chrome 25 on Ubuntu. Works fine and have same issue with camera - camcorder app crashes until I reboot.

On 6 March 2013 20:38, Punyabrata Ray <punya...@webrtc.org> wrote:
[...]

Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Punyabrata Ray 3/7/13 8:38 AM
No, camera selection is still a bit down the road.

In addition to reporting issues on this list, it would be helpful to actually create issues in the WebRTC issue tracker. If you are reporting an issue specific to Chrome for Android, I recommend adding "Chrome Android:" in the title/one-line summary. This way it could be easier for others to quickly sort through these issues.

Thanks,
Ray

On Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:26:06 PM UTC+1, Warren McDonald wrote:
We have also tested our new WebRTC web app and the code proven on desktop runs very nicely without any modifications on Android, even on the first beta. We have  a presentation to an important audience later today, and this news will add to the impact :)

Warren

Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Justin Uberti 3/7/13 8:47 AM
That wouldn't work because then one side of the call would use DTLS (desktop) and the other side of the call would use SDES (Android).

Forcing the URL to contain compat=false ensures that both sides are using the same settings.

Of course, the proper fix is to support DTLS on Android, which we are working on right now.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 7:09 AM, Philipp Hancke <philipp...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> To disable DTLS (see known issue #4), please add “compat=false” to the AppRTC link (ex: https://apprtc.appspot.com/?r=<roomname>&compat=false)

This would be unneccessary if you added a simple navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Android') != -1 check that removes the DtlsSrtpKeyAgreement constraint ;-)

--

---

Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Stephan Bardubitzki 3/7/13 9:15 AM
After rebooting my Google Galaxy Nexus it is working.

Very cool!!!

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 8:27 PM, Stephan Bardubitzki <bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is really great news and many thanks for all the hard work.

However, I have the following issue

on my laptop

status bar says "waiting for someone to join ..."

but when I enter the room from my Google Galaxy Nexus

it says "Sorry, this room is full"

Am I doing something wrong?

--

Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Philipp Hancke 3/7/13 9:19 AM
On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Justin Uberti <jub...@google.com> wrote:
That wouldn't work because then one side of the call would use DTLS (desktop) and the other side of the call would use SDES (Android).

It does, when calling from Android to Desktop. You need an additional hack to remove the a=fingerprint line from the SDP when a desktop client is calling an android client. Thanks, I missed that one.

Of course, the proper fix is to support DTLS on Android, which we are working on right now.

Looking forward to it!
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Rod Apeldoorn 3/7/13 1:31 PM
Tested and works on easyRTC!

The one change we did have to make was to add the autoplay attribute to the video tag for the self video. If this was not added, then the user could not see their own video which is a different behavior than the desktop Chrome.

If anyone wants to try it out, check out http://demo.easyrtc.com/

Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Eric Thomas 3/8/13 11:54 PM
Hi All,

I would like to know whether WebRTC Video Call is also support in Native Android Apps or we can do WebRTC Video Call only in Chrome Beta for Android as of now ?

Thanks,
Eric
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Dev Twinlife 3/11/13 11:12 AM
Yes, Eric.

The free twinsee application (available from the play store) allows to place WebRTC video calls natively on Android devices. You need to register with a valid email address and invite contacts that are also registered at this point.
We ran video calls between twinsee on one Android device (Galaxy Note II) and another device using Chrome Beta for Android pointing to twinsee.net.
Works also on Asus Transformer Pad TF300TG both with Chrome Beta for Android pointing to twinsee.net and the twinsee native app.
WebRTC interoperability between twinsee native and Chrome Beta for Android seems to work properly as far as we could test.

Michel
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Dev Twinlife 3/11/13 11:15 AM
Works also between 2 tabs of Chrome Beta for Android on the same device (Galaxy Note II) each pointing to a different user on twinsee.net.

Michel

Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Miguel Paraz 3/12/13 11:11 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the good work on this.

On Thursday, 7 March 2013 04:38:40 UTC+8, Punyabrata Ray wrote:
Known issues:

Is TURN server support available on Android?

I'm trying a setup where the Android phone is using the mobile network operator 3G network, and the desktop Chrome is on a network with limited connectivity. I have A TURN server available on the open Internet.

Thanks,
Miguel
Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android kaiduan 3/13/13 8:47 AM
Kevin,

Does this version on Android support H.264 codec? You mentioned that it worked between iPad Thrupoint Longboard Soft Client (H264 Video).

Thanks,

/Kaiduan

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Kevin Glass <ke...@cokeandcode.com> wrote:
[...]

Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android kaiduan 3/13/13 10:06 AM
Hi all,

I just made a call from Android/Samsung Nexus/4.2.2 to Chrome desktop/Windows/25.0.1364.172 m, the video call went through, both sides agreed on VP8 codec, and I did not find H.264 listed in the SDP.

Does Android version support H.264? If yes, how to enable it?

Thanks,

/Kaiduan
Re: [discuss-webrtc] WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Leo Wang 3/13/13 10:09 AM
We only support VP8.
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Arnaud 3/13/13 3:09 PM
Works good on Nexus 4 with chrome beta, over a local wifi router, to chrome 25.0 on winXP.
I experienced 1 & 2 (room for improvement for choppy sound and echo cancellation)

Perfect support of screen rotations during the conversation.
Impressive so far, looking forward to next releases.
Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Justin Uberti 3/14/13 9:38 PM
TURN should be fully supported on Android.

--

---

Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Peter Kainz 3/15/13 3:07 PM
galaxy note + desktop = perfect
thanks a lot
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Christian 4/17/13 6:55 PM
Using my Motorola Photon Q, I ended up getting a the following error when creating the peer connection: NotSupportedError: DOM Exception 9

The same page works fine on my colleague's Motorola Xoom.

Any ideas?

--
Christian
Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Serge Lachapelle 4/18/13 3:47 AM

--

---

Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Christian 4/18/13 5:33 AM
Yes, even though I know it makes it seem like I didn't.  Just to make absolutely sure...
  • I boot up my phone from being turned off.
  • I launch Chrome Beta
  • I go to chrome://version/ and confirm that under 'Application' it reads 'Chrome Beta 27.0.1453.49'
  • I go to chrome://flags/ and the 'Enable WebRTC' section has a white background with the link 'Disable'
  • I go to my page and try to create the peer connection, and get the error 'Error: NotSupportedError: DOM Exception 9'
I do also have regular Chrome installed.  Not sure if there's some sort of interaction happening.  That doesn't seem likely, however.

--
Christian
Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android PhistucK 4/18/13 5:40 AM

I'm using RTCPeerConnection-v1.4.js so maybe there's a problem with that version?  But I'm not sure why it would work on the Xoom but not the Photon Q in that case.

--
Christian
Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Eugene Krevenets 5/29/13 7:50 AM
Hello. Is there any changes with camera selection possibilities and color inversion?
Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Punyabrata Ray 5/30/13 7:04 AM
Hi,
We are still working on adding camera and microphone selection. Today it defaults to the front facing camera.
Could you elaborate the color inversion issue?
Thanks,
Ray
Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Stephan Bardubitzki 7/9/13 4:59 PM
Any news on when we can expect camera selection, such as in FF nightly for Android where the user can select back or front facing camera?
Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Anders Both 3/9/14 4:09 PM
Is WebRTC still behind a flag today ?
Re: [discuss-webrtc] Re: WebRTC on Chrome Beta for Android Alexandre GOUAILLARD 3/9/14 4:47 PM
no.

It is available in the current stable version of chrome.

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 7:09 AM, Anders Both <and...@basechat.com> wrote:
Is WebRTC still behind a flag today ?

--

---

Alex. Gouaillard, PhD, PhD, MBA
CTO - Temasys Communications, S'pore / Mountain View
President - CoSMo Software, Cambridge, MA

More topics »