DNS - multiple question with a single query

Showing 1-5 of 5 messages
DNS - multiple question with a single query Julio Olivares 8/15/08 10:10 AM
I'm currently developing a DNS utility which is working greatly with a
single qname in a query. However, if I try to perform a query for
multiple qnames I got a format error.
I've checked the datagram with Wireshark and the packet is well
formed, and by reading the RFCs I can't find anything relevant about
multiple qnames.

I'm testing it on a a Bind 9.4.2 server.

This is not an issue, I can perform multiple queries, but I woould
like to understand where is the problem since RFC1035 defines multiple
qnames in a sngle query.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

DNS - multiple question with a single query jota 8/15/08 7:22 AM
Re: DNS - multiple question with a single query bert hubert 8/18/08 11:04 AM
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 07:22:59AM -0700, jota wrote:
> I'm currently developing a DNS utility which is working greatly with a
> single qname in a query. However, if I try to perform a query for
> multiple qnames I got a format error.

As in a number of other places, the reality of DNS does not match RFC 1035.
Nobody knows what multiple questions really mean - if one of them fails to
answer correctly, how would that be signalled etc?

So in practice, multiple questions don't work.

One of the later RFCs might clarify this.

        Bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Open source, database driven DNS Software
http://netherlabs.nl              Open and Closed source services

Re: DNS - multiple question with a single query Alan Clegg 8/18/08 11:10 AM
BIND does not support multiple questions in a single query.  :\
Based on draft-ietf-dnsext-edns1-03.txt

Multiple queries in a question section have not been supported in DNS
due the applicability of some DNS Message Header flags (such as AA) and
of the RCODE field only to a single QNAME, QTYPE, and QCLASS.

edns1 tried to change the tradition, but it then died (with other
proposed changes).

Re: DNS - multiple question with a single query Julio Olivares 8/18/08 12:11 PM
Ok, it makes sense. Thank you.