What would you like to see most in minix?

Showing 1-155 of 155 messages
What would you like to see most in minix? Linus Benedict Torvalds 8/25/91 11:12 PM

Hello everybody out there using minix -

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).

I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

                Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

What would you like to see most in minix? Jyrki Kuoppala 8/25/91 11:26 PM
In article <1991Aug25....@klaava.Helsinki.FI>, torvalds@klaava (Linus Benedict Torvalds) writes:
>I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
>This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
>I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
>are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

Tell us more!  Does it need a MMU?

>PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
>It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc)

How much of it is in C?  What difficulties will there be in porting?
Nobody will believe you about non-portability ;-), and I for one would
like to port it to my Amiga (Mach needs a MMU and Minix is not free).

As for the features; well, pseudo ttys, BSD sockets, user-mode
filesystems (so I can say cat /dev/tcp/kruuna.helsinki.fi/finger),
window size in the tty structure, system calls capable of supporting
POSIX.1.  Oh, and bsd-style long file names.

//Jyrki

What would you like to see most in minix? Linus Benedict Torvalds 8/26/91 5:51 AM
In article <1991Aug25.2...@nntp.hut.fi> j...@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) writes:
>> [re: my post about my new OS]

>Tell us more!  Does it need a MMU?

Yes, it needs a MMU (sorry everybody), and it specifically needs a
386/486 MMU (see later).

>>PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
>>It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc)
>
>How much of it is in C?  What difficulties will there be in porting?
>Nobody will believe you about non-portability ;-), and I for one would
>like to port it to my Amiga (Mach needs a MMU and Minix is not free).

Simply, I'd say that porting is impossible.  It's mostly in C, but most
people wouldn't call what I write C.  It uses every conceivable feature
of the 386 I could find, as it was also a project to teach me about the
386.  As already mentioned, it uses a MMU, for both paging (not to disk
yet) and segmentation. It's the segmentation that makes it REALLY 386
dependent (every task has a 64Mb segment for code & data - max 64 tasks
in 4Gb. Anybody who needs more than 64Mb/task - tough cookies).

It also uses every feature of gcc I could find, specifically the __asm__
directive, so that I wouldn't need so much assembly language objects.
Some of my "C"-files (specifically mm.c) are almost as much assembler as
C. It would be "interesting" even to port it to another compiler (though
why anybody would want to use anything other than gcc is a mystery).

Unlike minix, I also happen to LIKE interrupts, so interrupts are
handled without trying to hide the reason behind them (I especially like
my hard-disk-driver.  Anybody else make interrupts drive a state-
machine?).  All in all it's a porters nightmare.

>As for the features; well, pseudo ttys, BSD sockets, user-mode
>filesystems (so I can say cat /dev/tcp/kruuna.helsinki.fi/finger),
>window size in the tty structure, system calls capable of supporting
>POSIX.1.  Oh, and bsd-style long file names.

Most of these seem possible (the tty structure already has stubs for
window size), except maybe for the user-mode filesystems. As to POSIX,
I'd be delighted to have it, but posix wants money for their papers, so
that's not currently an option. In any case these are things that won't
be supported for some time yet (first I'll make it a simple minix-
lookalike, keyword SIMPLE).

                Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

PS. To make things really clear - yes I can run gcc on it, and bash, and
most of the gnu [bin/file]utilities, but it's not very debugged, and the
library is really minimal. It doesn't even support floppy-disks yet. It
won't be ready for distribution for a couple of months. Even then it
probably won't be able to do much more than minix, and much less in some
respects. It will be free though (probably under gnu-license or similar).

What would you like to see most in minix? Peter Holzer 8/26/91 10:42 AM
j...@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) writes:

>In article <1991Aug25....@klaava.Helsinki.FI>, torvalds@klaava (Linus Benedict Torvalds) writes:
>>This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
>>I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
>>are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

>As for the features; well, pseudo ttys, BSD sockets, user-mode

>filesystems (so I can say cat /dev/tcp/kruuna.helsinki.fi/finger),
>window size in the tty structure, system calls capable of supporting
>POSIX.1.  Oh, and bsd-style long file names.

On a lower level:

I don't like the chmem mechanism of Minix. Processes should start with
a minimal size and grow as they need to until they run out of RAM or
disk space. Paging to disk would be nice, too.

If your OS is message based I would like to have arbitrarily large
messages. They could be implemented efficiently by mapping the pages
into the receivers address space (or just passing a pointer on 68k
systems without MMU). Oh, yes, and the addressing scheme for messages
should be different than in Minix. Messages should not be sent to
process slot numbers, but to ports. That way, user processes can use
messages, too, and it is easier to add your own servers.

PS: I am very interested in this OS. I have already thought of writing
my own OS, but decided I wouldn't have the time to write everything from
scratch. But I guess I could find the time to help raising a baby
OS :-)
--
|    _  | Peter J. Holzer                       | Think of it   |
| |_|_) | Technical University Vienna           | as evolution  |

What would you like to see most in minix? James da Silva 8/26/91 11:02 AM
In article <1991Aug26.1...@klaava.Helsinki.FI> torv...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds) writes:
>Unlike minix, I also happen to LIKE interrupts, so interrupts are
>handled without trying to hide the reason behind them (I especially like
>my hard-disk-driver.  Anybody else make interrupts drive a state-
>machine?).

Sure.  For one example, Alessandro Forin's Mach SCSI adapter drivers are
written this way.  A comment from his code:

/*
 * This layer works based on small simple 'scripts' that are installed
 * at the start of the command and drive the chip to completion.
 * The idea comes from the specs of the NCR 53C700 'script' processor.
 *
 * There are various reasons for this, mainly
 * - Performance: identify the common (successful) path, and follow it;
 *   at interrupt time no code is needed to find the current status
 * - Code size: it should be easy to compact common operations
 * - Adaptability: the code skeleton should adapt to different chips without
 *   terrible complications.
 * - Error handling: and it is easy to modify the actions performed
 *   by the scripts to cope with strange but well identified sequences
 *
 */

An interesting way to write a device driver.  I believe this is a very old
technique, too.

Good luck on your OS project, it sounds like a lot of fun.
Jaime
: domain: j...@cs.umd.edu                                     James da Silva
: path:   uunet!mimsy!jds                    Systems Design & Analysis Group

What would you like to see most in minix? Adam David 8/26/91 10:12 PM
One of the things that really bugs me about minix is the way device drivers
have to be compiled into the kernel. So, how about doing some sensible
installable device driver code (same goes for minix 2.0 whenever).

--
Adam David.
(ad...@rhi.hi.is)

What would you like to see most in minix? Alan Barclay 8/27/91 2:04 PM
In article <1991Aug26.1...@klaava.Helsinki.FI> torv...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds) writes:
>yet) and segmentation. It's the segmentation that makes it REALLY 386
>dependent (every task has a 64Mb segment for code & data - max 64 tasks
>in 4Gb. Anybody who needs more than 64Mb/task - tough cookies).

Is that max 64 64Mb tasks or max 64 tasks no matter what their size?
--
  Alan Barclay
  iT                                |        E-mail : alan@ukpoit.uucp

What would you like to see most in minix? Linus Benedict Torvalds 8/28/91 6:01 AM
In article <1991Aug27.1...@ukpoit.co.uk> al...@ukpoit.co.uk (Alan Barclay) writes:
>In article <1991Aug26.1...@klaava.Helsinki.FI> torv...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds) writes:
>>yet) and segmentation. It's the segmentation that makes it REALLY 386
>>dependent (every task has a 64Mb segment for code & data - max 64 tasks
>>in 4Gb. Anybody who needs more than 64Mb/task - tough cookies).
>>

>Is that max 64 64Mb tasks or max 64 tasks no matter what their size?

I'm afraid that is 64 tasks max (and one is used as swapper), no matter
how small they should be. Fragmentation is evil - this is how it was
handled. As the current opinion seems to be that 64 Mb is more than
enough, but 64 tasks might be a little crowded, I'll probably change the
limits be easily changed (to 32Mb/128 tasks for example) with just a
recompilation of the kernel. I don't want to be on the machine when
someone is spawning >64 processes, though :-)

                Linus

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? John 6/24/11 12:32 PM
Thanks for creating Linux.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? 구글 8/26/11 12:50 AM
thank you very much torvalds
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Kasumifan 8/26/11 6:23 AM
Great! This maybe the most important event in modern history, really!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? 정준혁 8/26/11 7:38 AM
Really Thanks!
If You didn't develop Linux, I would not able to set up Server easily :D

U R really AWESOME!!!

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? JensMinor 8/26/11 9:47 AM
Please make Linux :-)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Kasumifan 8/26/11 10:11 AM
On Friday, August 26, 2011 8:47:37 PM UTC+4, JensMinor wrote:
> Please make Linux :-)

Yeah! Yeah! Please! Make it!

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? James 8/26/11 11:14 AM
now i feel old as i was a user from near the beginning.  i remember the first attempts to get it running on my 386 (took days to get things going).

THANKS LINUS you're contribution to the world has changed it in many many GOOD ways

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Triviox 8/27/11 5:28 PM
"Hello everybody out there using minix -"
No, i don't use minix; i use GnuLinux!!

Thanks Mr.Trovalds...
:)

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? churchy 8/30/11 7:20 PM

And without minix Mr. Torvalds would probably have done
some nice windows programs. Thank /you/ Mr. Tannenbaum!

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? farsheed...@gmail.com 10/25/11 3:55 PM
You've done a great job Linus. Thank you very much.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? James Broderick 10/27/11 9:10 AM
Thanks alot.
unk...@googlegroups.com 10/27/11 9:07 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Matthias Kainz 11/5/11 4:33 AM
On 27 Okt., 17:10, Jaime Leonel <www.jaimeleo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks alot.

Thanks for performance :-)
And of course: thank you for software freedom!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? prafu...@gmail.com 12/9/11 3:25 PM
Thanks!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? dsrking 12/29/11 4:43 AM
Thanks a lot.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Rico Dittrich 1/14/12 8:13 AM
Linus, I don't know how to thank you!
You've made something big and awesome!
Thanks for everything! :)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? kirj...@gmail.com 2/8/12 6:57 AM
Thank you :)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? jay...@gmail.com 2/24/12 9:40 PM
21 Years Later!!
Thank you  Torvalds for Linux!!

From Fiji
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? jus...@wikia-inc.com 3/8/12 2:40 PM
Yeah, seriously, it was such an important decision to start this project. Thanks so much!

Now, I'm having this problem on one of my Linux servers...

:-P

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? max...@googlemail.com 3/15/12 4:25 AM
Am Montag, 26. August 1991 08:12:08 UTC+2 schrieb Linus Benedict Torvalds:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones...

Omg, this is so awesome! Thank you Mr. Torvalds!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? naveen.ka...@gmail.com 3/22/12 11:15 AM
Thank you Sir..

thank you for the revolution you have made
thank you for the awesome work and inspiration

~ Naveen Karuthedath
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Amit Kumar 4/16/12 9:19 AM
Thanks for such an amazing OS. I hope something new and revolutionary
comes again in OSes!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? milind....@gmail.com 4/23/12 8:13 AM
I am a New User to Linux and the ideology behind it is amazing thank you very much for your contribution to the whole world. It would be interesting to see one day all machines running Linux. Its been a success and hope it never ends. All the best for future endeavors. If you travel to India anytime i hope u can organize some talks and shows so people became aware of the project. Take care....

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? scgsc...@gmail.com 5/14/12 2:04 PM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 2:12:08 AM UTC-4, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

It turns out that it supports WAY more than AT-harddisks!
Thank you, Linus, for making a contribution not only to computing, but to all humanity.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Christopher Long 5/31/12 3:35 AM
On Sunday, August 25, 1991 11:12:08 PM UTC-7, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:

> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.

Thanks, Linus! Looks interesting - what are you going to call it?
--
Christopher D. Long, San Diego Padres, 100 Park Boulevard, San Diego CA

Score: 0, Diff: 1, clong killed by a Harvard Math Team on  1
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? colone...@yahoo.com 6/3/12 10:18 PM
Less trolling?
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? jos...@gmail.com 6/4/12 10:10 AM
El lunes, 26 de agosto de 1991 01:12:08 UTC-5, Linus Benedict Torvalds escribió:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

and so here i am 20 years later reading this mail, linux is where my true skill as programmer began and this reply is just to be back here in other 20 years and  be able to read it :D
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? donatom 6/15/12 10:14 PM
On Friday, February 24, 2012 9:40:37 PM UTC-8, jay...@gmail.com wrote:
> 21 Years Later!!
> Thank you  Torvalds for Linux!!
>
> From Fiji
>
> On Monday, August 26, 1991 6:12:08 PM UTC+12, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> > Hello everybody out there using minix -
> >
> > I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> > professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> > since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> > things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> > (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> > among other things).
> >
> > I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> > This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> > I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> > are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
> >
> >                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
> >
> > PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> > It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> > will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Linus,

You, Richard Stallman, BSD and the many programmers who helped you, Stallman and the BSD program have truly set this world free (free as in liberty, imagination and possibilities)! This would be a dreary planet without all of
the things that you have done -- and all of the things you have enabled others to do (many millions of them).

Thanks a bunch! We all hope that you revel in your unique, unbelievable legacy.

Don M.

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? evelo...@gmail.com 7/4/12 2:47 PM
Thanks Linus, this thread is a true piece of history. Your creation changed the world and I can only hope to have 1/10000 of the positive impact that you had on the world as a whole.

I'll be back in 10 years to read this and see how far I've come.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? subu...@gmail.com 7/6/12 3:39 AM
On Monday, 26 August 1991 11:42:08 UTC+5:30, Linus Benedict Torvalds  wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Thanks Very muck :-)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? emerson1...@gmail.com 7/11/12 3:59 AM
Wow, this is the original post about Linux?  I thought it is gone already.

BTW I am a true Linux Fan.  Go Linux!!!!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? rachit...@gmail.com 7/12/12 12:36 PM
what are

On Monday, 26 August 1991 11:42:08 UTC+5:30, Linus Benedict Torvalds  wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I&#39;m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won&#39;t be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I&#39;d like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I&#39;ve currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I&#39;ll get something practical within a few months, and
> I&#39;d like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won&#39;t promise I&#39;ll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it&#39;s free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that&#39;s all I have :-(.

ur future plans??
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? plan...@gmail.com 7/26/12 4:24 PM
Dňa pondelok, 26. augusta 1991 8:12:08 UTC+2 Linus Benedict Torvalds napísal(-a):
Linux is EPIC!!!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? rafi...@gmail.com 7/27/12 9:23 PM
Dear Sir

thank u very sir

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? alexandr...@gmail.com 7/31/12 6:15 AM
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

I've just recently started using linux as my main OS, for about 1 month now, and the ideology behind linux and all the free/open source software is really beautiful. I fell in love with it!!

Thank you for your great job!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? jiangzh...@gmail.com 8/9/12 8:01 PM
Thank you so much torvalds to make linux for world.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? wangchao...@gmail.com 8/13/12 11:55 PM
After years, when I look into this email, yet I still feel excited. Thank you Linus, for making Linux. It's always the loyal companion, true lover and lifelong mentor.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? cho...@gmail.com 8/15/12 11:37 AM
I like this gift. Thanks, linus.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? lenna...@gmail.com 8/17/12 12:20 AM
Thank you very much for makin this world a better place torvalds =) =)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? cri...@gmail.com 8/17/12 7:44 PM
How does it feel to know that, while still in school, your pursuit of a hobby has changed the world?  People who've never seen your face are grateful to you and your name will be remembered for a very long time.

Thank you for that.  :)  Have a great day!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? spz...@gmail.com 8/20/12 2:26 AM
And the rest is history :)
Thanks for the passion, dear linux community!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? jehada...@gmail.com 8/22/12 6:26 AM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 9:12:08 AM UTC+3, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Awesome... u changed the world i would like to be a shortcut of u because i wanna to be big programmer like u ^_^
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? milind....@gmail.com 8/24/12 1:28 PM
I can't believe I didn't know this existed. Reading about the humble beginnings of the one system I tried to crash all my Engineering years is spiritual in a way.

Thanks Linus. What you have done is truly in every sense of the word, historical.

-Milind
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? linuxm...@gmail.com 8/24/12 10:42 PM
Happy 21st Birthday Linux ....

On Monday, 26 August 1991 14:12:08 UTC+8, Linus Benedict Torvalds  wrote:
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? ideo...@gmail.com 8/25/12 1:42 PM
wow,,
its amazing,,
i don't believe that i can be a part of greatest conversation about Linux,,

Thanks a lot Sir Linus,
you make something different,,
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? nau....@gmail.com 8/27/12 4:53 AM
Linus Benedict Torvalds you changed the world .

Linux now in pc,servers and now in Andriod.

You are the most generous person in the world.

We all owe you.

Br,
Nauman Ahmad Khan
Mobilink NOC
Pakistan

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? skyzo...@gmail.com 8/28/12 12:36 AM
Thank you from france Linus we love you !
lot of peace and happiness to you and your family
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? tj.abde...@gmail.com 9/2/12 2:37 PM
Thank you ever so much for what you did !
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? remotem...@gmail.com 9/2/12 8:32 PM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 11:42:08 AM UTC+5:30, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Thanks for your wonderful creation.

Regards,
Karthik.P.R
MySQL DBA
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? changmin...@gmail.com 9/6/12 7:48 AM
在 1991年8月26日星期一UTC+9下午3时12分08秒,Linus Benedict Torvalds写道:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

i have seen  [just for fun].
Thank you for the linux so much.
unk...@googlegroups.com 9/6/12 8:31 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Venkatesh Gutta 9/6/12 9:31 AM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 1:12:08 AM UTC-5, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Thank you Linus for the Linux, you both rock!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? ale...@hhai.org 9/8/12 3:30 AM
I am looking at this more than 20 years later than the birth and I want to say w00t!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? rock...@gmail.com 9/11/12 2:16 PM
What is this Linux thing? Is it still updated? Does it support the Minix file system?
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? simon...@gmail.com 9/13/12 12:19 AM
On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:16:34 PM UTC+2, rock...@gmail.com wrote:
> What is this Linux thing? Is it still updated? Does it support the Minix file system?

Good joke !
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? lex....@gmail.com 9/16/12 2:24 PM

> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.

Rereading this still sends chills down my bones 8) Writing from Linux 3.2.0-24-generic, and thank you!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? neoc...@gmail.com 9/19/12 3:37 AM
Thanks for creating Linux !
unk...@googlegroups.com 9/20/12 4:51 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Austin Hutchins 9/20/12 4:55 AM
It is truly amazing that this post is still around.  From this post to running on 88% of all supercomputers. Wow.  I wasn't around back then (I was born 7 years after this post) but I still appreciate all you have done to revolutionize the world. Thanks SO much.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? mr.fi...@gmail.com 9/20/12 6:02 PM
Em segunda-feira, 26 de agosto de 1991 03h12min08s UTC-3, Linus Benedict Torvalds  escreveu:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

And here everything started. The beginning of Linux.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? dt...@dtek360.net 9/21/12 5:09 AM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 2:12:08 AM UTC-4, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

"just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu"

What a hobby this has turned into. You inspired me to become a developer and I have been a linux user since redhat 2.0 was released. Thanks for your efforts as well as those of K&R.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? also...@gmail.com 9/28/12 2:09 AM
在 1991年8月26日星期一UTC+8下午2时12分08秒,Linus Benedict Torvalds写道:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

到此一游~
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Zhang Yang 9/29/12 12:22 AM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 3:12:08 PM UTC+9, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
so wonderful!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? harmon...@gmail.com 10/8/12 6:51 PM
On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 4:16:34 PM UTC-5, rock...@gmail.com wrote:
> What is this Linux thing? Is it still updated? Does it support the Minix file system?

You are kidding, right?
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? horstsch...@gmail.com 10/9/12 1:22 AM
Am Montag, 26. August 1991 14:51:23 UTC+2 schrieb Linus Benedict Torvalds:

> PS. To make things really clear - yes I can run gcc on it, and bash, and
> most of the gnu [bin/file]utilities, but it's not very debugged, and the
> library is really minimal. It doesn't even support floppy-disks yet. It
> won't be ready for distribution for a couple of months. Even then it
> probably won't be able to do much more than minix, and much less in some
> respects. It will be free though (probably under gnu-license or similar).

What?? No floppy support? I´m out!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? izaqu...@gmail.com 10/9/12 4:44 AM
El lunes, 26 de agosto de 1991 01:12:08 UTC-5, Linus Benedict Torvalds  escribió:
Bendiciones y gracias por este aporte a la humanidad
linux lo mejor ....
software libre somos todos.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? luccas...@gmail.com 10/11/12 1:29 PM
viva o linux \o/
obrigado torvalds pelo que você fez despretensiosamente ajudou muito a humanidade
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? rayim...@gmail.com 10/16/12 7:39 AM
Great job!

King Regards from Spain

Best Gintonic for you :)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? zhack...@gmail.com 10/21/12 1:47 AM
20 years ago I was playing pacman and tank (old computer games), thinking to myself someday when I grow up I'll create my own computer game.  I wasn't really able to gain inspiration in programming until i used Linux, where everything was free and the community is awesome. You've made people's dreams come true. Thanks,man.

On Monday, August 26, 1991 2:12:08 PM UTC+8, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.
2
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Silviu Emil 10/23/12 11:43 PM
I have faced for the first time a Linux system in 1997 and it was like flying among a lot of options and information comparative to other OSs.

Thank you Linus for creating a platform of freedom and flexibility.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? goo...@turbo-electric.com 10/25/12 5:42 AM
Without you, Richard and the others, I'd probably be a mechanic or electrician.

So you guys quite literally changed my life.

Thanks mate, now go and walk on water or summat.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? thene...@gmail.com 10/26/12 5:19 AM
Thank you Linus. We are all grateful.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? wzyb...@gmail.com 10/29/12 7:07 AM
It is more than 21 years later and I am pretty moved to see this email 21 years ago. After 21 years' development, Linux so popular all over the world.

Thank you, Mr. Torvalds.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? hellra...@gmail.com 11/1/12 12:28 PM
thank you Mr.Torvalds. Without you all of us who are using linux would blind sheep to microsoft's heresy. From everyone of us to you. I salute you sir.
What would you like to see most in minix? antib...@gmail.com 11/10/12 4:35 PM
Respect you Torvalds!!! Linux - best kernel 4ever! I am complete last kernel for my PC.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? chuxi...@gmail.com 11/19/12 1:00 PM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 2:12:08 AM UTC-4, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Thank you!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? jacob...@gmail.com 11/24/12 6:59 AM
just another computer nerd chiming in 20 years later to say thanks for everything. Thanks for writing my favorite now operating system.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? psilen...@gmail.com 12/2/12 10:59 AM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 2:12:08 AM UTC-4, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Thank you Linus and the entire Linux team for all you work!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? timot...@gmail.com 12/2/12 11:07 AM
在 1991年8月25日星期日UTC-7下午11时12分08秒,Linus Benedict Torvalds写道:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Thank you Linus for the Linux!!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? rura...@gmail.com 12/12/12 11:20 PM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 2:12:08 PM UTC+8, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
Thank you.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Fabian Huerta 12/13/12 2:13 AM
El lunes, 26 de agosto de 1991 03:12:08 UTC-3, Linus Benedict Torvalds  escribió:
Gracias Linus por haber hecho un sistema operativo maravilloso, tuviste influencia en la vida de muchas personas a traves de tu trabajo.
Gracias a Dios y muchas bendiciones desde Argentina
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? mic...@yellow-online.nl 12/13/12 2:46 AM
Op zondag 2 december 2012 20:07:07 UTC+1 schreef timot...@gmail.com het volgende:
Thank you so much!!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? mhk...@gmail.com 12/16/12 2:10 AM
Thank you Linus! This OS has changed my life. I'm only 10 years old and yet, I think you are the most awesome person in the world!

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? mtr...@gmail.com 12/28/12 9:33 AM
Thank you Linus. It definitely influenced the lives of the people and industry in a good way.

--Tirumal
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? samvi...@gmail.com 12/28/12 2:48 PM
>(just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu)

L O L
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? lieud...@gmail.com 12/29/12 4:39 PM
Many years later... Linux is awesome!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Ahmad Ferdaus Abd Razak 12/29/12 6:01 PM
I began using Linux (in its many flavours) right around six years ago, and have never looked back since. Now as a teacher, my students use it exclusively for all our multimedia processing tasks. We've even won awards from our FOSS endeavours here! So, thank you very much for your continuing efforts. It chokes me up to see this thread still up and running, long after that historic moment in time.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? dannyba...@gmail.com 1/6/13 8:19 AM
I'm just a geek who want's to thank you for Linux and all of the work you put in Free Software. You changed the lifes of so many people including mine. It was like a wonder to find this thread and it's cool to find this piece of history, the place where everything started. You really inspired me and i hope i can also help making the world a better place.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? windowsli...@yahoo.com 1/8/13 6:13 AM

I'd just like to interject for a moment.

What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? quatrox 1/9/13 8:19 AM
Sure Linux is only a part of GNU/Linux.  But Linux came when GNU needed a kernel.
I have been using the GNU/Linux combination for approximately 15 years and to me this combination rocks!

Without Richard Stallman, the GNU collection and the GPL license, lots of free software would most likely not exist and Linux... maybe dead.

So thanks to Linux, GNU and GPL, lots of nice things happened.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? phage...@gmail.com 1/11/13 9:10 PM
On Sunday, August 25, 1991 11:12:08 PM UTC-7, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Sounds like it might have a future. Keep at it!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? wmhm...@gmail.com 1/30/13 7:37 AM
Thank you Linus, truly.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? griev...@gmail.com 2/11/13 6:41 AM
Il giorno lunedì 26 agosto 1991 08:12:08 UTC+2, Linus Benedict Torvalds ha scritto:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Good work from the future XD
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? vop...@gmail.com 2/20/13 3:44 AM
Thank you, I like the history =)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? slai...@gmail.com 2/21/13 4:04 AM
Hi Linus Torvalds.Menya name Gleb, I wanted to ask what year was made Linux OS?
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? zisha...@gmail.com 2/22/13 8:05 AM
Thanks Linus 4 Linux.
Linux is awesome.I like it very much. :)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? viny....@gmail.com 3/5/13 12:13 AM
I am really speechless Mr. Linus , you have changed the world of computing by creating such a wonderful OS..
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? sauloh...@gmail.com 5/24/13 4:03 PM
Great OS linus, but bsd exist to put linux on Second place
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? lang...@gmail.com 5/25/13 9:32 PM
Thank you so mucho Mr. Torvalds, you have change the world, you give us another way to see the things,

El lunes, 26 de agosto de 1991 01:12:08 UTC-5, Linus Benedict Torvalds  escribió:
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? marianop...@gmail.com 6/9/13 5:55 PM
Thanks man! What you did... is awesome :)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? ahsalma...@gmail.com 7/25/13 2:05 PM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 8:12:08 AM UTC+2, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Good job and thank you very much
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? gia...@gmail.com 8/25/13 9:20 AM
I will never forget this date, because three days later I received a great gift ...
Thanks Linus
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? bierga...@gmail.com 8/25/13 12:15 PM
Happy Birthday to Linux!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? ali.r...@gmail.com 8/25/13 12:20 PM
Can you make it essentially a time traveling machine that can go back to 1980 and look for Sarah Conner?
What would you like to see most in minix? shangz...@gmail.com 8/25/13 1:01 PM
Happy birthday to Linux the best kernel forever!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? kawai...@gmail.com 8/25/13 1:03 PM
厉害
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? hussien.a...@gmail.com 8/25/13 1:08 PM
Becuase of Linux, I'm earning my living. thanks Linus
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? salt...@gmail.com 8/25/13 2:19 PM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 2:12:08 AM UTC-4, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Who ever thought all of our ARM RISC processors would be running this kernel ;)
What would you like to see most in minix? jerz...@gmail.com 8/25/13 4:18 PM
Thank you!! Life would be a lot more boring of it weren't for Linux!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? archer7t...@gmail.com 8/25/13 5:33 PM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 2:12:08 AM UTC-4, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Minix? don't you mean Linux?
I see Linux becoming a major platform for gaming as well as multimedia just like Android only doing a lot more and still remaining free for all to modify and tweak just like the OUYA console. I also see the functionality of Wine becoming more streamlined and backward compatible with older and newer Windows programs, utilizing more hardware components, and automatic file association detection.
unk...@googlegroups.com 8/25/13 5:42 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? owenj...@gmail.com 8/25/13 9:51 PM
thanks for all your hard work!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? kunalkr...@gmail.com 8/26/13 1:41 AM
On Monday, 26 August 1991 11:42:08 UTC+5:30, Linus Benedict Torvalds  wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.
Aah , what a hobby.
What would you like to see most in minix? wild...@gmail.com 8/26/13 7:55 AM
Thank you for your Hobby :) that was main();
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? sir.mich...@gmail.com 8/26/13 8:11 AM
Thanks Linus!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? bani...@gmail.com 8/26/13 8:16 AM
thanks for your work, thanks for the world you created
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? em...@michaelmcmillan.net 8/26/13 8:41 AM
This thread is simply amazing.
Thank you for all your hard work, Linus.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? che.gue...@gmail.com 8/26/13 8:56 AM
понедельник, 26 августа 1991 г., 10:12:08 UTC+4 пользователь Linus Benedict Torvalds написал:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

I really doubt it will ever work.

HAHAHA, jost joking! Of course it's WORKING! And it's AMAZING!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? johanand...@gmail.com 8/26/13 9:03 AM
Muchas gracias por usar ese ingenio de manera desinteresada.

Thank you for using that genious mind in an uninterested way

El lunes, 26 de agosto de 1991 01:12:08 UTC-5, Linus Benedict Torvalds  escribió:
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? bartus....@gmail.com 8/26/13 9:07 AM
This is a postmodern big bang, live :)

thanks linu
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? edu...@gmail.com 8/26/13 10:17 AM
Thanks mr. Torvalds!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? mahdi....@gmail.com 8/26/13 1:31 PM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 10:42:08 AM UTC+4:30, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Linus, thanks for Linux! We owe you so much!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? joliv...@gmail.com 8/26/13 2:45 PM
Thx Torvalds, For Gift us Linux!

El lunes, 26 de agosto de 1991 01:42:08 UTC-4:30, Linus Benedict Torvalds escribió:
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? catalina...@gmail.com 8/26/13 3:43 PM
Thanks a lot, always.

:)

El lunes, 26 de agosto de 1991 01:12:08 UTC-5, Linus Benedict Torvalds escribió:
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Mahalingam P.R 8/26/13 11:15 PM
Cant believe this post has been running for 22 years now!!! A hobby that changed the way people perceive computers today!!! Thank you!!!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? laoar...@gmail.com 8/27/13 4:06 AM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 3:12:08 PM UTC+9, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Thanks! Great job!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? david...@gmail.com 8/27/13 7:27 AM
On Monday, August 26, 1991 1:12:08 AM UTC-5, Linus Benedict Torvalds wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>

>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

Thanks, I like Linux
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? disen...@gmail.com 8/27/13 4:57 PM
Thanks for the great job , i was borned in 1991 , the same with Linux :)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? ma...@asciiwolf.com 8/28/13 6:34 AM
Thank you, Linus!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? hoz...@gmail.com 9/17/13 3:47 AM
Thanks linus
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? rafael....@gmail.com 9/22/13 8:26 PM
El lunes, 26 de agosto de 1991 02:12:08 UTC-4, Linus Benedict Torvalds  escribió:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Thnx Linus!!!!!!!
What would you like to see most in minix? superm...@gmail.com 9/23/13 4:54 PM
I really want to take the path you took and you inspired my to probably be the youngest c programmer and kernal dev as I am browsing your code BTW I'm only 9 so don't expect me for mine to be as good as your code
As of the inspiring bit when I'm older I'm gonna have a ph.d in computer science and make a OS called Portenix hence my last name portelli. You probably are more important than I dunno Christopher Columbus

PS
You have inspired hundreds to take up programming
But only a few to actually do what you have done
.... Make a kernal
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? loicth...@gmail.com 10/14/13 1:41 AM
Le lundi 26 août 1991 08:12:08 UTC+2, Linus Benedict Torvalds a écrit :
Wow, it's a honor to participate to this thread, 22 years old later.
I just wanna thank you for all you made and congrulations.
I got nothing else to you, except that you're a genius.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? tols...@gmail.com 10/21/13 10:50 AM
A God among men.
Thank you so much!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Sriram A S 10/27/13 11:54 AM
Its an honor to view this thread. All great people here. Linux team is cool and Minix team is awesome!! Hats off all. Thanks for such great products which changed the world :)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? yank...@gmail.com 1/1/14 9:28 PM
A long, long, long time ago a friend and I were talking about Microsoft and he said "Do you think we could write an operating system"? I said no, it would take too long and the way things move it would be obsolete before we finished it.

Linus took it a piece at a time, the Kernel, and look what happened!

Amazing for sure and I seriously doubt it will ever be done again.

I bet you have something better than "AT-harddisks" now.

Thanks a bunch & Happy New Year Linus and Linux!!!

Mageia 3 - Linux 3.10.24-desktop
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? gksha...@gmail.com 1/17/14 6:08 PM
Sorry Linus, I have great respect for what you've done and thank you for your contributions, but all in all, I think the Windows kernel is much better designed.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? colone...@yahoo.com 1/18/14 11:00 AM
Thundering heard of trolls used to cross this great usenet but now they
are reduced to a pitiful few, pawing desperately at a drying waterhole...

Re: What would you like to see most in minix? lie...@gmail.com 1/27/14 1:31 AM
On Monday, 26 August 1991 07:12:08 UTC+1, Linus Benedict Torvalds  wrote:
> Hello everybody out there using minix -
>
> I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and
> professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones.  This has been brewing
> since april, and is starting to get ready.  I'd like any feedback on
> things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
> (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
> among other things).
>
> I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
> This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and
> I'd like to know what features most people would want.  Any suggestions
> are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)
>
>                 Linus (torv...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
>
> PS.  Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
> It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
> will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Thank you Linus!
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? Jeremy Passarelli 1/30/14 5:20 AM
On Friday, January 17, 2014 9:08:23 PM UTC-5, gksha...@gmail.com wrote:
> Sorry Linus, I have great respect for what you've done and thank you for your contributions, but all in all, I think the Windows kernel is much better designed.

And how is it better designed? It's slow, doesn't have as much drivers as Linux does, and isn't open-source.
What would you like to see most in minix? kurs...@gmail.com 2/9/14 3:42 PM
Hi Linus,

I am reading your "Just For Fun" book nowadays and I never will not know if you will read or not these words. But I know actually that maybe we have to ask you "What can we do for linux development and what linux wants to do from us for freedom of all OSs?

We kindly thank you.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? maxime....@laposte.net 4/18/14 5:09 AM
its a part of history ! thx for linux man
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? gksha...@gmail.com 4/26/14 10:34 AM
1. The slower part is likely the userspace, which I agree is not very good. I'm just talking about the kernel. Windows NT (the kernel) is better designed mainly because it has a design. Each component of Windows NT is designed in a modular fashion and fits together well. Linux is just a non-cohesive collection of code that manages to work simply by brute force.
2. Why would Windows has as many drivers as Linux? Windows only targets the mainstream market (PCs and tablets).
3. Being open-source does not have anything to do with its design.
4. Come to think of it, you obviously have no idea what design means, since design has nothing to do with anything you listed.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? gksha...@gmail.com 5/2/14 6:12 PM
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not a troll. I honestly believe what I'm saying.
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? chihe...@gmail.com 6/1/14 7:15 AM
Thank you Linus :)
Re: What would you like to see most in minix? travi...@gmail.com 6/11/14 2:48 PM
>Yes Thanks Linus.