|New branch open: v3.1 (first-class documents)||Marijn Haverbeke||12/19/12 3:36 AM|
I've just pushed the first public version of the first-class document
overhaul. See the thread at  for background. In the v3.1 branch on
the github repository, which is checked out at , there are the
following new features:
- Create documents without editors
- Change the document that an editor is currently showing
- Create linked instances of a document, which automatically stay in
sync with their parent (for split views, see  for a demo).
- Create linked sub-views on a document (smaller documents which are
kept in sync with the part of the parent document that they refer to)
- Two models of handling history for linked documents: shared and separate
Find the docs for most of these new features at .
A lot of rewriting and re-engineering was needed to support this
model, so without a doubt new defects were introduced. If you're
interested in these features, please test, so that we can make this
into a stable 3.1 release soon. The API is backwards-compatible with
The v3.1 branch will be shamelessly rebased in the near future, so
don't count on its commits being stable just yet.