Home made supercharger ?

Showing 1-50 of 50 messages
Home made supercharger ? Hyena 4/4/01 5:40 PM
Hey guys

Here's an idea I've been toying with. I was thinking of making my own
home made supercharger type thing. Not knowing much about forced
induction, I've got the following basics: turbos are run off the
exhaust, superchargers are run off the engine/belt itself. Both are too
much mucking around for my liking - I'm looking at doing this just out
of shit I have laying around, or can pick up cheaply. I was thinking of
doing it with an electric motor, and probably have a second battery
(possibly with a switch so it can be turned on when wanted thus saving
power the rest of the time) Put simply I'm looking at strapping a worked
hairdryer to my intake ! :-)

What do you reckon ? Does it sound worthwhile or am I not going to get
any sort of benefit out of it.
If nothing else I'd probably have the worlds flashest cold air intake
:-)


Home made supercharger ? Eddie Goblok 4/4/01 6:57 PM
I am sorry to say but you are pulling your dick big time. Do you have
a few kilowatts or so electric motor that runs off 12 volts? That's
how much power you would need - enough to melt down your wiring.


Eddie

Home made supercharger ? Luke 4/4/01 6:58 PM
In my opinion, it wouldnt be any good with a hair dryer because that would
not generate enough wind pressure to charge anything, as against the wind
pressure of the car travelling, you would need something like a 50000 rpm.to
make any difference, what does a turbo or supercharger rev at ??
I have thought of the same type of thing, but after looking at the pressure
needed, I dropped the idea altogether.

Hyena <hyena1@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die> wrote in message
news:3ACBBFA7.37136058@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die...


> Hey guys
>
> Here's an idea I've been toying with. I was thinking of making my own
> home made supercharger type thing. Not knowing much about forced
> induction, I've got the following basics: turbos are run off the
> exhaust, superchargers are run off the engine/belt itself. Both are too
> much mucking around for my liking - I'm looking at doing this just out
> of shit I have laying around, or can pick up cheaply. I was thinking of
> doing it with an electric motor, and probably have a second battery
> (possibly with a switch so it can be turned on when wanted thus saving
> power the rest of the time) Put simply I'm looking at strapping a worked
> hairdryer to my intake ! :-)
>
> What do you reckon ? Does it sound worthwhile or am I not going to get
> any sort of benefit out of it.
> If nothing else I'd probably have the worlds flashest cold air intake
> :-)
>
>


Home made supercharger ? David Bomba 4/4/01 7:23 PM
get your hand off it
Home made supercharger ? Peter Stratton 4/4/01 8:00 PM
I have no idea of the actual figures but a starter motor draws a
truckload of current - just look at the thickness of the wire going
to it from the battery.

100 amps (not unrealistic I assume) at 12 volts would be 1.2kw
Geared up enough a starter motor might provide enough pressure with
enough volume to make a difference.

That said I think an electric setup would be just as much hassle
as a supercharger running off the fanbelt (but less hassle than a
turbo).

Pete

>I am sorry to say but you are pulling your dick big time. Do you have
>a few kilowatts or so electric motor that runs off 12 volts? That's
>how much power you would need - enough to melt down your wiring.

Home made supercharger ? Hyena 4/4/01 8:06 PM
> get your hand off it

You're still cut about the wheels post !  :-)

Home made supercharger ? Hyena 4/4/01 8:10 PM
> I am sorry to say but you are pulling your dick big time.

It happens from time to time :-)


> Do you have a few kilowatts or so electric motor that runs off 12 volts?
> That's
> how much power you would need - enough to melt down your wiring.
>

Shit hey. Oh well, I thought it sounded like a good idea but I guess thats
why no one has done it. Although it wouldn't be the first time some one
patented an idea that I'd had a year earlier.


Home made supercharger ? The Red Krawler 4/4/01 9:28 PM
> Shit hey. Oh well, I thought it sounded like a good idea but I guess thats
> why no one has done it. Although it wouldn't be the first time some one
> patented an idea that I'd had a year earlier.

Someone already has :)
www.turbozet.com


-- The Red Krawler

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.
No, wait.. Not me....
You.

Home made supercharger ? The Red Krawler 4/4/01 9:28 PM
> Put simply I'm looking at strapping a worked
> hairdryer to my intake ! :-)

You're a hopeless mofo.
Speaking of hopeless mofos... www.turbozet.com

-- The Red Krawler

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.
No, wait.. Not me....
You.

Home made supercharger ? Norbie 4/4/01 9:30 PM

"Peter Stratton" <stra...@dstc.edu.au> wrote in message
news:986439388.942657@bottle.csee.uq.edu.au...

> I have no idea of the actual figures but a starter motor draws a
> truckload of current - just look at the thickness of the wire going
> to it from the battery.
>
> 100 amps (not unrealistic I assume) at 12 volts would be 1.2kw
> Geared up enough a starter motor might provide enough pressure with
> enough volume to make a difference.

1.2kw would only be enough to deliver a small amount of boost on a small
engine.  And a starter motor isn't designed for continuous operation - it
would die quickly if used for something like that.

On top of that, all this electricity has to come from somewhere - can you
imagine how big your alternator would have to be to deliver 1.2kw on top of
its existing load?  It would have to be as big as your average supercharger!

> That said I think an electric setup would be just as much hassle
> as a supercharger running off the fanbelt

Much more hassle actually.

> (but less hassle than a turbo).

I don't understand why people think turbos are complex - in many cases it's
*easier* to fit a turbo than a supercharger.  No need to fabricate a big
solid bracket, line it up perfectly at the front of the engine, modify your
crank pulley, etc.  All you need is a manifold to mount the turbo somewhere
near the exhaust side of the engine, a few hoses for the coolant and oil,
and you're away.  Of course you also need to worry about intercoolers and
inlet plumbing, but you have the same issues with superchargers.

Norbie.


Home made supercharger ? Hyena 4/4/01 9:46 PM
> > Shit hey. Oh well, I thought it sounded like a good idea but I guess thats
> > why no one has done it. Although it wouldn't be the first time some one
> > patented an idea that I'd had a year earlier.
>
> Someone already has :)
> www.turbozet.com

F*CK ME !!  Snaked again !
I'm sure I could corner the Australian market with the Hyena-Charger :-)


Home made supercharger ? Hyena 4/4/01 9:53 PM
> You're a hopeless mofo.

Screw you Krawley, sitting all high and mighty behind the wheel of your
twin turbozetted laser !

Home made supercharger ? Nevo 4/4/01 10:05 PM
:-) Here we go, I like your initiative. Find a Jap import wrecker, source a
secondhand turbo or supercharger for a few hundred dollars and save yourself
a lot of trouble;-)

There's a good reason why turbo's and superchargers work they way they do.
There's a significant amount of energy required to drive these items and
compress large volumes of air. Ever hold your hand partly over the top of a
carby while the engine is idling? There's a very strong suction and a decent
volume of air being consumed, now multiply that by 6000rpm and then multiple
that by the increased boost that your trying to add and you'll soon realise
why turbo impellers spin at around 100,000rpm. Try make your hairdryer pump
that much air;-) Even consider an air compressor with a 1 or 2 hp engine,
the volume of air is still nowhere near what an engine would require. As the
person in the other post said your require something like 14kw to drive a
device to produce that much air.

Nevo

"Hyena" <hyena1@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die> wrote in message
news:3ACBBFA7.37136058@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die...
> Hey guys
>
> Here's an idea I've been toying with. I was thinking of making my own
> home made supercharger type thing. Not knowing much about forced
> induction, I've got the following basics: turbos are run off the
> exhaust, superchargers are run off the engine/belt itself. Both are too
> much mucking around for my liking - I'm looking at doing this just out
> of shit I have laying around, or can pick up cheaply. I was thinking of
> doing it with an electric motor, and probably have a second battery
> (possibly with a switch so it can be turned on when wanted thus saving
> power the rest of the time) Put simply I'm looking at strapping a worked

> hairdryer to my intake ! :-)
>
> What do you reckon ? Does it sound worthwhile or am I not going to get
> any sort of benefit out of it.
> If nothing else I'd probably have the worlds flashest cold air intake
> :-)
>
>


Home made supercharger ? Hatzolah 4/4/01 10:06 PM
Good luck Hyena,hope it works and you dont "blow" yourself up....

In any case you can actually buy one to fit a BriggsStratton small engine
cost is US$799 (AUS$1600) so you might get a few ideas from this one
http://www.hscsupercharger.com/

Ciao HL

"Hyena" <hyena1@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die> wrote in message
news:3ACBBFA7.37136058@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die...
> Hey guys
>

Home made supercharger ? Hyena 4/4/01 11:18 PM
> I have thought of the same type of thing, but after looking at the pressure
> needed, I dropped the idea altogether.
>

Don't suppose anyone is interested in my other idea, the old pipe your
airconditioner into your intake trick ? The worlds first intercooled N/A engine
:-)

Home made supercharger ? Norbie 4/4/01 11:56 PM

"Hyena" <hyena1@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die> wrote in message
news:3ACBF967.17355DEF@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die...

>
> F*CK ME !!  Snaked again !
> I'm sure I could corner the Australian market with the Hyena-Charger :-)

You could, with appropriate marketing to the brainless ricer demographic.
Just look at the success of the Turbozet thing - it's utterly useless, but
people continue to buy them!

Norbie.


Home made supercharger ? Charlie 4/5/01 12:06 AM
Hyena wrote:

> Don't suppose anyone is interested in my other idea, the old pipe your
> airconditioner into your intake trick ? The worlds first intercooled N/A engine
> :-)

how about my idea of putting a new engine in the back to power the air
conditioner, so you don't suffer any power loss when you turn it on?

Home made supercharger ? Peter Stratton 4/5/01 12:46 AM
All good points. As far as hassle goes, I was thinking of the heat that
turbos have to handle and therefore the impossibility of throwing one
together from 'stuff lying around'.

Pete

"Norbie" <nor...@norbie.net> writes:

>1.2kw would only be enough to deliver a small amount of boost on a small
>engine.  And a starter motor isn't designed for continuous operation - it
>would die quickly if used for something like that.

>On top of that, all this electricity has to come from somewhere - can you
>imagine how big your alternator would have to be to deliver 1.2kw on top of
>its existing load?  It would have to be as big as your average supercharger!

>> That said I think an electric setup would be just as much hassle
>> as a supercharger running off the fanbelt

>Much more hassle actually.

>> (but less hassle than a turbo).

>I don't understand why people think turbos are complex - in many cases it's
>*easier* to fit a turbo than a supercharger.  No need to fabricate a big
>solid bracket, line it up perfectly at the front of the engine, modify your
>crank pulley, etc.  All you need is a manifold to mount the turbo somewhere
>near the exhaust side of the engine, a few hoses for the coolant and oil,
>and you're away.  Of course you also need to worry about intercoolers and
>inlet plumbing, but you have the same issues with superchargers.

>Norbie.


Home made supercharger ? Shaddow Edge 4/5/01 12:46 AM
Can I saddly say I know of a gem that is running a aircon fan inside a pipe
that feeds the carby. There is actually a power increase amazingly enough.
But the motors for the fan keep melting cause they boosted the power to it
or something.

Shaddow


Home made supercharger ? Trent 4/5/01 1:28 AM

"Norbie" <nor...@norbie.net> wrote in message
news:NBUy6.57$OF2.5385@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...


there was a WRX with one in a mag a while ago. he claimed it improved
throttle response.

Trent


Home made supercharger ? Brendon 4/5/01 4:56 AM
"The Red Krawler" <kra...@hoontown.com> wrote in message
news:3ACBF401.A239BCD6@hoontown.com...

> Someone already has :)
> www.turbozet.com

Autospeed loved it :-)

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0237/page1.html


Home made supercharger ? Hyena 4/5/01 5:32 AM

Yeah turning the aircon off is almost like a "turbo boost" button you see in
old car movies / cartoons etc.

Home made supercharger ? Noddy 4/5/01 6:10 AM

"Hyena" <hyena1@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die> wrote in message

> What do you reckon ? Does it sound worthwhile or am I not going to get


> any sort of benefit out of it.
> If nothing else I'd probably have the worlds flashest cold air intake
> :-)

I don't think you would.

You'd probably need an electric motor the size of a Fiat 500 to make enough
power to drive a blower on your average engine.  This doesn't mean that it's
an impossible task, but the car is sure to have a *very* limited range
unless you can come up with some extremely long 3 phase power leads to run
the blower drive.

Either that, or you can come up with some sort of "tail hook" like the
DeLorean in "Back to the Future" had on it and run it off the overhead tram
wiring, as it would take you more than a bootload of car batteries to get
you half a kilometre :)

Regards,
Noddy.


Home made supercharger ? The Red Krawler 4/5/01 2:40 PM
> > www.turbozet.com
 
> Autospeed loved it :-)
> http://www.autospeed.com/A_0237/page1.html

When connected to power:
Tiny electric fans rotate at speed similar to PC-cooling fans, creating
a faint breeze

Reaction of all technical experts who examined the Twin Turbo Zet:
Extreme mirth

Yep, they sure do :)

-- The Red Krawler

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.
No, wait.. Not me....
You.

Home made supercharger ? The Red Krawler 4/5/01 2:42 PM
> > You're a hopeless mofo.
 
> Screw you Krawley, sitting all high and mighty behind the wheel of your
> twin turbozetted laser !

hahahahhh
Dont go too far, or I'll suggest you're a closet Camira owner.

-- The Red Krawler

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.
No, wait.. Not me....
You.

Home made supercharger ? Dale Walker 4/5/01 2:43 PM

Check out http://www.electricsupercharge.com/ and look at their eRam
package..

I'd love to hear everyone thoughts on this one... there's even a
downloadable mpg with an example on it.

--
Dale Walker < da...@icr.com.au >

Home made supercharger ? Hyena 4/5/01 3:42 PM
>> Screw you Krawley, sitting all high and mighty behind the wheel of your
>> twin turbozetted laser !
>
>hahahahhh
>Dont go too far, or I'll suggest you're a closet Camira owner.


Hey I don't own no poor mans Commodore !

Speaking of Camiras, I must take a picture of this riced up one that I
always see parked up the train station. It's got like a full Walkinshaw kit
on it. The funniest part is all the paint is flaking off the stick on bits.


Home made supercharger ? Dale Walker 4/5/01 3:56 PM

whoops... thats... http://www.electricsupercharger.com/


--
Dale Walker < da...@icr.com.au >

Home made supercharger ? M@W8 4/5/01 5:00 PM

"Trent" <sv...@tig.com.au> wrote in message
news:9aha84$pl4$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au...
>
> "Norbie" <nor...@norbie.net> wrote in message
> news:NBUy6.57$OF2.5385@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
> >
> > "Hyena" <hyena1@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die> wrote in message
> > news:3ACBF967.17355DEF@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die...
> > >
> > > F*CK ME !!  Snaked again !
> > > I'm sure I could corner the Australian market with the Hyena-Charger
:-)
> >
> > You could, with appropriate marketing to the brainless ricer
demographic.
> > Just look at the success of the Turbozet thing - it's utterly useless,
but
> > people continue to buy them!
>
>
> there was a WRX with one in a mag a while ago. he claimed it improved
> throttle response.
>
I'm sure he wouldn't want to admit he'd been sucked in... and his car was
already turbocharged anyway!!


Home made supercharger ? M@W8 4/5/01 5:14 PM

"Dale Walker" <da...@icr.com.au> wrote in message
news:3ACCE8BE.129F0E76@icr.com.au...

>
> Check out http://www.electricsupercharge.com/ and look at their eRam
> package..
>

Read the Autospeed article and draw your own conclusions...
http://www.autospeed.com/A_0237/P_1/article.html


Home made supercharger ? M@W8 4/5/01 5:16 PM

"Norbie" <nor...@norbie.net> wrote in message
news:NBUy6.57$OF2.5385@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net...
>
> "Hyena" <hyena1@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die> wrote in message
> news:3ACBF967.17355DEF@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die...
> >
> > F*CK ME !!  Snaked again !
> > I'm sure I could corner the Australian market with the Hyena-Charger :-)
>
> You could, with appropriate marketing to the brainless ricer demographic.
> Just look at the success of the Turbozet thing - it's utterly useless, but
> people continue to buy them!

Worse than useless.  The thing would actually RESTRICT the intake, and you'd
probable lose power!


Home made supercharger ? The Red Krawler 4/5/01 5:39 PM
> > Check out http://www.electricsupercharge.com/ and look at their eRam
> > package..

> Read the Autospeed article and draw your own conclusions...
> http://www.autospeed.com/A_0237/P_1/article.html

Thats about the TurboZet you mofo (www.turbozet.com), not the eRam
supercharger.

Geez. Some people.

-- The Red Krawler

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.
No, wait.. Not me....
You.

Home made supercharger ? Hyena 4/5/01 5:47 PM
> Check out http://www.electricsupercharge.com/ and look at their eRam
> package..
>
> I'd love to hear everyone thoughts on this one... there's even a
> downloadable mpg with an example on it.

Well atleast its a bit bigger than the wankzet

Home made supercharger ? RANT 4/5/01 7:21 PM
I have a the motor off our pool pump if u wonna try.. sure thats capable of
a little more flow.. dont know how much boost though
Motor is fine but we cant use it cos somting hangin off it broke ..

Hyena <hyena1@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die> wrote in message
news:3ACBBFA7.37136058@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die...
> Hey guys
>
> Here's an idea I've been toying with. I was thinking of making my own
> home made supercharger type thing. Not knowing much about forced
> induction, I've got the following basics: turbos are run off the
> exhaust, superchargers are run off the engine/belt itself. Both are too
> much mucking around for my liking - I'm looking at doing this just out
> of shit I have laying around, or can pick up cheaply. I was thinking of
> doing it with an electric motor, and probably have a second battery
> (possibly with a switch so it can be turned on when wanted thus saving
> power the rest of the time) Put simply I'm looking at strapping a worked
> hairdryer to my intake ! :-)
>
> What do you reckon ? Does it sound worthwhile or am I not going to get
> any sort of benefit out of it.
> If nothing else I'd probably have the worlds flashest cold air intake
> :-)
>
>


Home made supercharger ? RANT 4/5/01 7:22 PM
He could have an inverter straight from a battory and run 240v.. cheaper to
get a turbo though!


Eddie Goblok <gob...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:3acbcfb7.338523150@news.onthenet.com.au...
> I am sorry to say but you are pulling your dick big time. Do you have
> a few kilowatts or so electric motor that runs off 12 volts? That's
> how much power you would need - enough to melt down your wiring.
>
>
> Eddie


>
> On Thu, 05 Apr 2001 10:43:19 +1000, Hyena
> <hyena1@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die> wrote:
>
> >Hey guys
> >
> >Here's an idea I've been toying with. I was thinking of making my own
> >home made supercharger type thing. Not knowing much about forced
> >induction, I've got the following basics: turbos are run off the
> >exhaust, superchargers are run off the engine/belt itself. Both are too
> >much mucking around for my liking - I'm looking at doing this just out
> >of shit I have laying around, or can pick up cheaply. I was thinking of
> >doing it with an electric motor, and probably have a second battery
> >(possibly with a switch so it can be turned on when wanted thus saving
> >power the rest of the time) Put simply I'm looking at strapping a worked
> >hairdryer to my intake ! :-)
> >
> >What do you reckon ? Does it sound worthwhile or am I not going to get
> >any sort of benefit out of it.
> >If nothing else I'd probably have the worlds flashest cold air intake
> >:-)
> >
> >
>


Home made supercharger ? Eddie Goblok 4/5/01 7:56 PM
Whether it is 240VAC or 12VDC matters little. You would need an
inverter capable of handling several kw. The battery is not capable of
providing this kind of power.  In fact an invertor would be a bit
worse because you will have some thermal energy loss in it.

Could be a neat way to electrocute car theives though :)

Eddie

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 12:26:39 +1000, "RANT" <kim...@ihug.com.au> wrote:

>He could have an inverter straight from a battory and run 240v.. cheaper to
>get a turbo though!
>
>
>
>
>Eddie Goblok <gob...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:3acbcfb7.338523150@news.onthenet.com.au...
>> I am sorry to say but you are pulling your dick big time. Do you have
>> a few kilowatts or so electric motor that runs off 12 volts? That's
>> how much power you would need - enough to melt down your wiring.
>>
>>

Home made supercharger ? Hyena 4/5/01 10:20 PM
> Could be a neat way to electrocute car theives though :)

I've often thought of having an electrocution type car alarm. Have metal
contacts or spikes in the seat that deliver an electric charge into the bum of
the potential theif. There'd be nothing better that coming back to your car an
hour later to find a tasered unconcious would-be car their laying in your seat
:-)

Home made supercharger ? Rowan Crowe (NoSpam) 4/6/01 2:14 AM
On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, RANT wrote:

> He could have an inverter straight from a battory and run 240v.. cheaper to
> get a turbo though!

That would be even worse. There is no free energy, so a motor that
consumes 4kW at 12VDC will still consume similar at 240VAC, assuming no
conversions losses.

In fact, we are living in the real world and therefore using an inverter
is very silly, because of 2 things:


1) No inverter is 100% efficient. If it's 80% efficient (and that's being
generous) you now need 5kW worth of battery input power to get 4kW worth
of 240VAC output power. That extra 1kW is dissipated as waste heat mainly
in the output drivers and transformer.

2) The more efficient inverters produce a "dirty" square wave output. A
true sine wave inverter produces something much closer to a mains output,
but at the cost of efficiency. A motor will NOT run well on a dirty square
wave output, so when you hang it off a true sine wave inverter your
efficiency from battery to motor terminals will be something shocking like
50%. 8kW in, 4kW out.


Then there is the motor (in)efficiency to contend with. Inefficiences are
cumulative, so the amount of output power at the motor spindle versus the
power taken from the batteries may be significiantly smaller.

I've heard it said that heat is the only near 100% efficient conversion
from electrical energy.

BTW, where are you going to find an alternator, charging system, and
battery that can handle continuous current charge/draw of 300+ amps
(assuming 4kW at the battery)?

Cheers.


--
"rowan-ns" is used exclusively for newsgroup postings, to clearly show when
spammers have indiscriminately harvested my email address from a newsgroup.
Please remove the "-ns" to reach me directly.


Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/
Personal webcam index and archiving               http://www.camrecord.com/
Sensation Bot (AI chat)                        http://www.sensationbot.com/


Home made supercharger ? Alien Spawn 4/6/01 2:25 AM

"Hyena" <hyena1@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die> wrote in message
news:3ACBBFA7.37136058@start.com.au.spam-me-and-die...
> Hey guys
>
> Here's an idea I've been toying with. I was thinking of making my own
> home made supercharger type thing. Not knowing much about forced
> induction, I've got the following basics: turbos are run off the
> exhaust, superchargers are run off the engine/belt itself. Both are too
> much mucking around for my liking - I'm looking at doing this just out
> of shit I have laying around, or can pick up cheaply. I was thinking of
> doing it with an electric motor, and probably have a second battery
> (possibly with a switch so it can be turned on when wanted thus saving
> power the rest of the time) Put simply I'm looking at strapping a worked
> hairdryer to my intake ! :-)
>
> What do you reckon ? Does it sound worthwhile or am I not going to get
> any sort of benefit out of it.
> If nothing else I'd probably have the worlds flashest cold air intake
> :-)

ever connected a vacuum cleaner to a lawn mower ??

Home made supercharger ? Phil Bruce 4/6/01 5:17 AM

Brendon wrote:

> "The Red Krawler" <kra...@hoontown.com> wrote in message
> news:3ACBF401.A239BCD6@hoontown.com...
>
> > Someone already has :)
> > www.turbozet.com
>
> Autospeed loved it :-)
>

They Get payed to...

>
> http://www.autospeed.com/A_0237/page1.html

Home made supercharger ? Phil Bruce 4/6/01 5:27 AM
I would put the pool motor on in place of the engine!

RANT wrote:

> I have a the motor off our pool pump if u wonna try.. sure thats capable of
> a little more flow.. dont know how much boost though
> Motor is fine but we cant use it cos somting hangin off it broke ..

Home made supercharger ? Phil Bruce 4/6/01 5:37 AM
Here is my idea....A super/turbo exhaust Extractor.This was used on the
bombers during WW2  I cant remember who ( I think it was Allison  or
Packard)
Run a shaft off the flywheel like the starter motor, connected up the a
Turbo through an overrun clutch ( the starter motor has one) . This would
create a vacuum in the manifold and in turn the cylinder drawing the fuel
into the cylinder.  A supercharger in reverse!
Feedback??? Anyone???
Home made supercharger ? Oz1 4/6/01 5:44 AM
On Fri, 06 Apr 2001 22:40:20 +1000, Phil Bruce <filb...@ihug.com.au>
wrote:

>Here is my idea....A super/turbo exhaust Extractor.This was used on the
>bombers during WW2  I cant remember who ( I think it was Allison  or
>Packard)
>Run a shaft off the flywheel like the starter motor, connected up the a
>Turbo through an overrun clutch ( the starter motor has one) . This would
>create a vacuum in the manifold and in turn the cylinder drawing the fuel
>into the cylinder.  A supercharger in reverse!
>Feedback??? Anyone???
>
Nope, it just ensures that no exhaust is left in the chamber, doesn't
boost.
Although a small boost could be achieved by using long inlet tracts
and the inertia of the inlet charge. Really only suitable for constant
speed engines like aircraft (funny that).

Oz

Home made supercharger ? Norbie 4/8/01 7:44 PM

"Phil Bruce" <filb...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
news:3ACDB934.EAF1987C@ihug.com.au...

> Here is my idea....A super/turbo exhaust Extractor.This was used on the
> bombers during WW2  I cant remember who ( I think it was Allison  or
> Packard)
> Run a shaft off the flywheel like the starter motor, connected up the a
> Turbo through an overrun clutch ( the starter motor has one) . This would
> create a vacuum in the manifold and in turn the cylinder drawing the fuel
> into the cylinder.  A supercharger in reverse!
> Feedback??? Anyone???

A system like this is already used on large diesels (eg Caterpillar), but
the turbine doesn't draw exhaust out of the cylinders - it works the other
way, ie the turbine drives the crank.  In other words, the waste energy in
the exhaust is being put to good use.

Those who claim that turbochargers create parasitic drag on the engine, take
note of this.  If that were the case, this system would not work!

Norbie.


Home made supercharger ? Ian 4/8/01 8:29 PM
They are called power recovery turbines. The last aircraft engine they were
used on was the Wright Compound as used in the Neptune.


Ian


>
> A system like this is already used on large diesels (eg Caterpillar), but
> the turbine doesn't draw exhaust out of the cylinders - it works the other
> way, ie the turbine drives the crank.  In other words, the waste energy in
> the exhaust is being put to good use.
>
> Those who claim that turbochargers create parasitic drag on the engine,
take
> note of this.  If that were the case, this system would not work!
>
> Norbie.
>
>


Home made supercharger ? Shaddow Edge 4/8/01 11:34 PM

Norbie wrote in message ...

>
>"Phil Bruce" <filb...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
>news:3ACDB934.EAF1987C@ihug.com.au...
>> Here is my idea....A super/turbo exhaust Extractor.This was used on the
>> bombers during WW2  I cant remember who ( I think it was Allison  or
>> Packard)
>> Run a shaft off the flywheel like the starter motor, connected up the a
>> Turbo through an overrun clutch ( the starter motor has one) . This would
>> create a vacuum in the manifold and in turn the cylinder drawing the fuel
>> into the cylinder.  A supercharger in reverse!
>> Feedback??? Anyone???
>
>A system like this is already used on large diesels (eg Caterpillar), but
>the turbine doesn't draw exhaust out of the cylinders - it works the other
>way, ie the turbine drives the crank.  In other words, the waste energy in
>the exhaust is being put to good use.

How?

Shaddow

Home made supercharger ? Marty Hogan 4/9/01 2:14 AM

Phil Bruce <filb...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
news:3ACDB476.8FD19AD9@ihug.com.au...

>
>
> Brendon wrote:
>
> > "The Red Krawler" <kra...@hoontown.com> wrote in message
> > news:3ACBF401.A239BCD6@hoontown.com...
> >
> > > Someone already has :)
> > > www.turbozet.com
> >
> > Autospeed loved it :-)
> >
>
> They Get payed to...
>


They got paid to say how useless it was ? get with it.

Home made supercharger ? Norbie 4/9/01 4:32 PM

"Shaddow Edge" <shadd...@kooee.com.au> wrote in message
news:3ad153d6@news.iprimus.com.au...

>
> Norbie wrote in message ...
> >
> >A system like this is already used on large diesels (eg Caterpillar), but
> >the turbine doesn't draw exhaust out of the cylinders - it works the
other
> >way, ie the turbine drives the crank.  In other words, the waste energy
in
> >the exhaust is being put to good use.
>
> How?

I would have thought it was pretty self explanatory - there is a turbine in
the exhaust which is connected directly to the crank, presumably via
drop-down gears since the turbine would be spinning much faster than the
crank.

Norbie.


Home made supercharger ? Shaddow Edge 4/10/01 1:44 AM

Norbie wrote in message ...
>
>"Shaddow Edge" <shadd...@kooee.com.au> wrote in message
>news:3ad153d6@news.iprimus.com.au...
>>
>> Norbie wrote in message ...
>> >
>> >A system like this is already used on large diesels (eg Caterpillar),
but
>> >the turbine doesn't draw exhaust out of the cylinders - it works the
>other
>> >way, ie the turbine drives the crank.  In other words, the waste energy
>in
>> >the exhaust is being put to good use.
>>
>> How?
>
>I would have thought it was pretty self explanatory - there is a turbine in
>the exhaust which is connected directly to the crank, presumably via
>drop-down gears since the turbine would be spinning much faster than the
>crank.

I was thinking and couldn't be bothered so thanks.

Shaddow


Home made supercharger ? Brendon 4/11/01 3:38 AM
"Phil Bruce" <filb...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message
news:3ACDB476.8FD19AD9@ihug.com.au...

> They Get payed to...

Why don't you follow the link, and read... THEN learn what an :-) means.


More topics »