Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy

Showing 1-27 of 27 messages
Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Terry 8/30/12 10:28 PM
I just received an email from the Google Play Team, starting as follows:

"This is a notification that your application, Secret Audio Recording Free, with package ID com.xxxx.sarf, is currently in violation of our developer terms.

REASON FOR WARNING: Violation of the spam provisions of the Content Policy.
  • Do not post repetitive content.
  • Product descriptions should not be misleading or loaded with keywords in an attempt to manipulate ranking or relevancy in the store’s search results.
Your application will be removed if you do not make modifications to your application’s description to bring it into compliance within 7 days"

I would like to change the product description as fast as possible, but I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO CHANGE!

It would make it simpler if Google could have been more explisit, or that some examples of such violations could have been listed somewhere, but I cannot find any.
I guess that many other developers have the same problem understanding this.

The app in question is "Secret Audio Recording Free", by terboel.

I shall appreciate all good advice.

Regards Terry

Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Terry 8/30/12 10:43 PM
Re: [android-developers] Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy TreKing 8/30/12 11:14 PM
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Terry <ter...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would like to change the product description as fast as possible, but I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO CHANGE!

Seriously?

You are told:

Product descriptions should not be misleading or loaded with keywords in an attempt to manipulate ranking or relevancy in the store’s search results.

And this is the bottom of your description:

I can see why you're so confused as to what the problem is. This is a head scratcher.

TreKing - Chicago transit tracking app for Android-powered devices

Re: [android-developers] Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Terry 8/30/12 11:33 PM
Thank you, TreKing.
Yes, there are some keywords, but the same number of keywords - and even more - can be found in most apps (?)

Terry
Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Terry 8/30/12 11:36 PM
The following keywords are from another app - which has been at the Play Store for a very long time:

Track, Find, Lost, Phone, My Phone, Locate, Locate, Locator, Tracker, Real Time Tracking, Find Phone, Find Stolen Phone, Find Lost Phone, Seek Droid, Security, Tracker, Where’s my Droid, Wheres my Droid, Find My Droid, Find My Phone, Droid finder, Phone finder, FindMyDroid, FindMyPhone

Titanium Backup Pro, Mybackup Pro, Beautiful Widgets, Root Explorer
Titanium Backup Pro, Mybackup Pro, Beautiful Widgets, Root Explorer

mobile locate,mobile locate

Find my phone, find my phone
Where's my droid, wheres my droid
Where's my droid, where's my droid
Where's my droid, wheres my droid

mobile protection, mobile security, mobile protection plan, mobile protection, mobile locate

find my phone find my phone find my phone
find my phone find my phone find my phone

locate phone locate phone locate
phone locator

seek droid, lookout mobile security, seek droid, lookout

Regards, Terry

Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Jason Sesso 8/31/12 12:28 AM
I would take them out. that's completely wrong to do that IMO. It takes time to search millions of apps. I'm sure theirs will get reported.
Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Terry 8/31/12 1:50 AM
But - if the keywords in the description seem to be the cause of this violation - what may be the conclusion: Can a description have ANY keywords? If so, how many? I think it is pretty bad that Google cannot be clearer on this.

It would be nice to have other developers view as well..
I am certain that this applies - and is of great interest - to many of us.

Terry
Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy b0b 8/31/12 2:25 AM
For your enjoyment here's what can be found in the description of the Google Maps app:

Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy John Coryat 8/31/12 6:10 AM
Look, you can take out that keyword list or watch your app be removed. Just because others, including Google Maps, does it, doesn't make it right. Play Store is cracking down on infringements of their terms and it's just your turn to be put in the cross hairs.

It's really about time something was done about all the terms violating apps. They diminish the work of thousands of hard working and terms adhering developers.

-John Coryat
Re: [android-developers] Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy TreKing 8/31/12 11:23 AM
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 1:33 AM, Terry <ter...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, there are some keywords, but the same number of keywords - and even more - can be found in most apps (?)

The fact that other apps also do the wrong thing does not somehow excuse you from also doing the wrong thing.
Re: [android-developers] Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Kristopher Micinski 8/31/12 11:29 AM
On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 2:23 PM, TreKing <treki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 1:33 AM, Terry <ter...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, there are some keywords, but the same number of keywords - and even
>> more - can be found in most apps (?)
>

> The fact that other apps also do the wrong thing does not somehow excuse you
> from also doing the wrong thing.

+1 it's pretty annoying to have people complain here (remember, this
forum can in *no way* help get your app reinstated!) along the lines
of

"hey I was wrong but these other people were too and they didn't get
caught why did I?"

kris
Re: [android-developers] Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Terry 8/31/12 11:06 PM
Thanks to all for contributing on this thread. This discussion has been very useful to me - and hopefully to many other developers - as it has made a section of Google's Content Policy a bit clearer to me/us. Even though I do not interpret (the following sentence of the Content Policy) "Product descriptions should not be misleading or loaded with keywords in an attempt to manipulate ranking or relevancy in the Store’s search results." as "remove all your keywords from the description of your app", I will follow John's advice, and remove all keywords from all of my apps. Just to be on the safe side, and not risk having my apps removed. But I still wish that Google's Content Policy could have been somewhat more explisit, and not so hard to understand.

Regards, Terry
Re: [android-developers] Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Zsolt Vasvari 9/1/12 4:53 AM
If you have a problem with other apps (your competitors) violating these policies, go ahead and report them.  Anybody can report an app for terms violations.
Re: [android-developers] Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Zsolt Vasvari 9/1/12 4:54 AM
But I still wish that Google's Content Policy could have been somewhat more explisit, and not so hard to understand.

"loaded with keywords"

That's not explicit enough for you??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Re: [android-developers] Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy TreKing 9/1/12 10:32 AM
On Sat, Sep 1, 2012 at 1:06 AM, Terry <ter...@gmail.com> wrote:
Even though I do not interpret (the following sentence of the Content Policy) "Product descriptions should not be misleading or loaded with keywords in an attempt to manipulate ranking or relevancy in the Store’s search results." as "remove all your keywords from the description of your app"

And you shouldn't, but that's not what you did. In the section I quoted, you re-used the words "voice", "recorder", and "hidden", just to name a few, over and over again. That's keyword spam, as far as I'm concerned, and the more than likely the reason you were warned.

Why even have a "keywords" section, anyway? Use a little creativity and work your keywords in as part of your app description.
Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Terry 9/19/12 11:46 PM
On Sept 1 Zsolt Vasavari wrote:

> If you have a problem with other apps (your competitors) violating these
> policies, go ahead and report them.  Anybody can report an app for terms
> violations.

HOW?

It seem that using "Flag as inappropriate" (at the bootom of every app
description in Play Store) will NOT work for this purpose (?)

Is there another way?

Terry
Re: [android-developers] Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy TreKing 9/22/12 10:46 PM
On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Terry <ter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you have a problem with other apps (your competitors) violating these
> policies, go ahead and report them.  Anybody can report an app for terms
> violations.

HOW?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=google+play+report+app
Re: [android-developers] Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy FiltrSoft 9/23/12 7:18 AM
Maybe if Google's search results in the Play Store actually worked, devs wouldn't have to resort to tactics like these to get their apps to show up correctly in searches.
Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy FiltrSoft 9/23/12 1:48 PM
lol, it's do as I say, not as I do, with The Google.
Re: [android-developers] Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Harri Smått 9/23/12 1:56 PM

Hi,

I've never played around with keywords but I have to admit I tend to see huge difference in Google Maps keywords and the application in question here. For me the latter list seems more of a list of synonyms.

Re: [android-developers] Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy b0b 9/23/12 2:06 PM
Does it mean that making a list with all words of the dictionary that are not synonyms is ok ?
Re: [android-developers] Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Harri Smått 9/23/12 2:14 PM

Hi,

I'd like to see application that required the whole dictionary as keywords to explain it. Otherwise I see keywords were something you need to find a few good ones only. But as said, I'm not familiar with how keywords affect searches and it's best I end this discussion on my behalf here.

Re: [android-developers] Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Kostya Vasilyev 9/23/12 2:23 PM
Market searches are pretty weird, even if you don't consider additional keywords.

My pet peeve: trying to find, by name, an app that happens to support themes results in an endless list of "Britney Spears Theme for App Name Pro" and the like... The app itself is then buried somewhere on the zillionth page.

-- K

2012/9/24 Harri Smått <har...@gmail.com>

Re: [android-developers] Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Terry 9/24/12 10:51 PM

on 23. september, TreKing wrote:
> If you have a problem with other apps (your competitors) violating these
> policies, go ahead and report them.  Anybody can report an app for terms
> violations.

HOW?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=google+play+report+app

I have used this form ( http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.py?contact_type=takedown ) to report one of the assumed worst apps in the Play Store as to repetitive/spam content, but it either doesn't work, or it is ignored by Google, or it takes more than a few weeks to be handled/processed. Anyway, I have not seen any results from my report.

Can anyone say that they have successfully reported an app wrt repetitive/spam content?

HOW?

Terry
Re: [android-developers] Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Terry 9/27/12 6:18 AM
on 23. september, TreKing wrote:
> If you have a problem with other apps (your competitors) violating these
> policies, go ahead and report them.  Anybody can report an app for terms
> violations.

HOW?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=google+play+report+app

I have used this form ( http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/request.py?contact_type=takedown ) to report one of the assumed worst apps in the Play Store as to repetitive/spam content, but it either doesn't work, or it is ignored by Google, or it takes more than a few weeks to be handled/processed. Anyway, I have not seen any results from my report.

Can anyone say that they have successfully reported an app wrt repetitive/spam content?

HOW?

Terry

Carl 10/11/12 8:36 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Help: My app has violated the spam provisions of the Content Policy Simon Frederic 2/3/13 11:14 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am facing a similar issue with an app I posted last year for testing. Event Animals.
the app was downloaded < 10 times (for testing only)

I received a similar email. No explanation whatsoever for the suspension; and unfortunately no response whatsoever to email.
> Post suspension I can see five install to 31 ratings.  Which might very well be the reason for the suspension-

I don't think it is possible from backend to remove comment (or else everyone would remove bad ratings) -
I don't think it is possible for me to re-submit the apk (right?)

This apk took one year of developement to create and now it is forced out the market for reasons that are being my control.
I am not asking how to get reinstated but would like to get information to logical step that would potentially solve this issue from people that might have experience something similar.
Google China tell me they don't have the authority to manage the app from here.
Google US developer dont reply to emails (they never did - even when I had trouble paying the developer fee )

Any word of advice. or shared experience would be greatly appreciated.

Frederic

More topics »