Intercepting an incoming/outgoing email

Showing 1-6 of 6 messages
Intercepting an incoming/outgoing email Anonymous Guy 6/14/09 6:14 PM
I have tried searching everywhere for information on intercepting an
email (both incoming and outgoing) with an Intent, but all I come up
with is how to do it with an SMS message.  Is there a way to do it
with emails?  I've seen "android.intent.extra.EMAIL" mentioned, but
never used in anything to intercept (only to send out).

If anyone can help (with either a push in the right direction or a
small code snippet), that would be greatly appreciated.

An Anonymous Guy
Re: Intercepting an incoming/outgoing email Anonymous Guy 6/16/09 4:02 PM
Anybody?  This is a basic thing to do on other platforms (well, other
than iPhone which can't have any background processes :P ).  Without
it being possible to intercept/change email messages, it limits what
the platform can actually accomplish.  And if it's a "security issue",
see Blackberries -- they are the most secure, yet still allow this for
third-party developers.  If a user puts an application on the phone,
they implicitly trust that application.

An Anonymous Guy

Re: [android-developers] Re: Intercepting an incoming/outgoing email Dianne Hackborn 6/16/09 4:38 PM
No there isn't.  There is a generic e-mail application that ships with the platform, the special Gmail application from Google, and who knows what other e-mail applications that other manufacturers can include or users can download from the market.  There is thus no generic platform concept of interacting with outgoing e-mail.--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hac...@android.com

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Re: Intercepting an incoming/outgoing email Anonymous Guy 6/16/09 5:12 PM
On Jun 16, 7:38 pm, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> No there isn't.

Ok, thanks for the info.  That's too bad, really.

> There is a generic e-mail application that ships with the
> platform, the special Gmail application from Google, and who knows what
> other e-mail applications that other manufacturers can include or users can
> download from the market.  There is thus no generic platform concept of
> interacting with outgoing e-mail.

I was mostly aiming at the internal email apps.  Seems the only way to
do it is to create an email application with the functionality I want
built in.  I think I'll wait to see if the platform matures enough,
first. :P

An Anonymous Guy
Re: [android-developers] Re: Intercepting an incoming/outgoing email Dianne Hackborn 6/16/09 6:39 PM
I wouldn't expect it to "mature" much in this regard.  At least not any time soon.  First, the Gmail app is owned by Google, and by its nature is pretty self-contained and unlikely to rely on any generic platform e-mail mechanism you could intercept.  (Think of it the same way as the user using gmail in their web browser on a desktop.)  Second, I don't think there is any interest in any time soon having some kind of e-mail content provider or back-end storage that mail apps would use, so the platform's generic e-mail app will remain fairly self contained, and anyway I think it is something that individual devices are likely to significantly customize or outright replace.
Re: Intercepting an incoming/outgoing email Anonymous Guy 6/17/09 9:53 PM
I would have to respectfully disagree with that.  Cell phones are
converging and becoming more "communication devices".  That means,
however you want to communicate (voice, IMs, email, messaging, video,
etc.) it will be on a phone.  I have a feeling it's because of the
reasonable size of a phone, as opposed to a tablet/netbook/laptop --
it's much easier to strap a small device on to your belt so you have
two hands free, than it is to carry something.  As well, the user is
in constant contact, which is better than having to be in front of a
computer for some occupations.

To eliminate one of the communication methods (or, at least, restrict
it so much that every other phone does more and better things for that
method), is just short-sighted.  I'm not overly concerned about the
Gmail app (as most businesses and individuals won't use Gmail but
their own), so if you were to never build hooks into doing things with
it then that would be a business decision by those in charge of the
OS.  However, if the ability for third-party development shops isn't
there for expanding what the on-device applications can do, other
devices will slowly overtake and surpass the lagging device.

Oh, there's always the "solution" of creating a full application with
the additional functionalities built in, but then when a customer
wants to have multiples, what do they do?  An example would be if
someone wanted the ability to use both S/MIME and third-party mime-
type handler for a specific attachment type (let's call it
"application/abc" and the files end with ".abc").  The customer could
download a mail program with S/MIME built in, as well as another one
with the mime-type handler built in.  This would cause issues with the
user when he downloaded an email with one thing in it to the wrong
email application.

An Anonymous Guy