CD REVIEW - 13 Mountain Mystery Brews

Showing 1-1 of 1 messages
CD REVIEW - 13 Mountain Mystery Brews Mike 3/1/11 7:25 AM
13 Mountain Mystery Brews: Book 1  by Ron Chevarie and Witchdoctor Utu
and "Music to Mix Elixirs To - Volume 13" (CD) by Dragon Ritual
Drummers  © 2010        47 pages   Paperback   CD:   9 Tracks
Running Time        40:14    $30.00 (U.S.)    www.DragonRitualDrummers.com

Hoodoo Hill:  Enchanted Appalachian Pass                3:50
Craw Daddy Crow                                3:14
Bullfrog Bog                                6:08
Gator Swap Jamboree                        3:18
Two Snakes Over a Blue Moon                        1:32
Appalachian Half Step Possum Piss Boogie                3:13
Wetland Willie                                6:37
Bayou Buzz                                4:22
Tipsy Trails Home                                8:00

The authors of the mixologist's book, which is an integral part of
this set, have assembled (or had revealed to them, depending on how
much faith you have in their account) a collection of elixirs which,
while they may not transform you into the animals for which they are
named, will undoubtedly have an effect on your perceptions of the
natural world.

They include a large dose of beer, Dr. Pepper and cola (sometimes all
in the same elixir).  In any case, Beer is always to be added to the
elixirs, so if you aren't a beer drinker, you will need to experiment
- which is always encouraged, anyhow.  Certain variations are included
- such as martini versions (which you can shake [carefully]), to
punches, slurpys and Virgin Vermin (for those of tender years).

There are certain ritual expectations to be adhered to, such as NOT
mixing the ingredients, merely stabbing them with a knife.  A
checklist is provided for you to record your first creation of each
elixir as well as "Crawdentials" (both wallet card and certificate for
your wall).

This CD is a complete departure for Dragon Ritual Drummers.  In their
previous release "Tribal Magick" they had a track called "Mountain
Mystery."  This album expands on that theme (Life in Appalachia) and
is meant to accompany the book, which represents some rather unique
alcoholic drinks.

Whereas the emphasis in previous works has been towards ecstatic
drumming and music, this is somewhat more sedate, drawing as it does
from the Appalachian traditions of music making.  That's not to say
that  it lacks any of their enthusiasm, merely that it has been
redirected.  Their characteristic vibrancy is very evident.

As with all their previous work, what you hear is all Ritual Dragon
Drummers.  They don't sample, they do play all the instruments
themselves, and their enthusiasm and energy is palpable.  I honestly
don't know how they manage to make each production as fresh and
vibrant as they do.  These guys pour their hearts and souls into what
they do, and that is what so appealing about them.

To be honest, I'm not sure how this CD will sit with some of their
fans.  It is such a change from their established style and
presentation, I'm afraid some folks may not give it a fair chance.
That would be a very serious mistake.  The further you get into the
tracks, the more enmeshed you become in their vision.  If you can't
"see" yourself in the hills of Appalachia as you listen, perhaps you
need to imbibe one or more of the elixirs before restarting your
journey.

Of course, you COULD just listen to the music without even knowing the
name of each track and still have a thoroughly enjoyable journey.
I've said it in the past, and I will repeat it now - if you have never
experienced the sounds these gentlemen produce; if you haven’t
purchased a drumming CD, this is definitely the way to start.  They
will set you on the correct path with their compelling sound.

The last half of the final track 'appears" to be simple dead air for
about three minutes, although it is possible that my tired old ears
are simply incapable of hearing what is there.
Don't stop listening however, as there is more coming