Failure to Bind to a Remote IP Address for Akka Actor System

Showing 1-5 of 5 messages
Failure to Bind to a Remote IP Address for Akka Actor System razataz 9/13/12 1:14 PM
I was having trouble with initializing an actor system on a remote IP address. I am using akka actors and the play! framework. The code and the remote actor system are both on the remote rackspace servers. When I try to create a remote actor system on the the other server it fails to bind to that IP address. I don't think it is a network or firewall issue because Rackspace says that they opened up all connections between servers. This is the error message I am getting:
[error] application -

! Internal server error, for request [POST /payment/] ->

java
.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError: null
    at
Routes$$anonfun$routes$1$$anonfun$apply$3$$anonfun$apply$4.apply(routes_routing.scala:44) ~[classes/:na]
    at
Routes$$anonfun$routes$1$$anonfun$apply$3$$anonfun$apply$4.apply(routes_routing.scala:44) ~[classes
Re: [akka-user] Failure to Bind to a Remote IP Address for Akka Actor System rkuhn 9/13/12 1:21 PM
The exception tells you that it cannot listen on the address you are giving, which combined with the comment in the config file seems logical: you can only bind to a local address, i.e. one which is actually bound to a local interface. I don’t know exactly what “broadcast address” means for you (most of all because the last octet is not odd), but it hints that this is not a single system’s IP. Failure to listen is something local, nothing to do with firewalls or routing config.

Hope this helps,

Roland
Re: [akka-user] Failure to Bind to a Remote IP Address for Akka Actor System Louis D W 9/13/12 2:06 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I see what you are saying, however I am using the local ip address another server and it is not working. To clarify what I am trying to do here is that I am trying to create remote akka actors on a remote server from another server. I tried using the local ip address of the remote server in the configuration files and it still isn't able to bind. Is there anything that I'm missing or have to set up on the remote server in order to create remote actors there?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

-Louis

    at
Routes$$anonfun$routes$1$$anonfun$apply$3$$anonfun$apply$4.apply(routes_routing.scala:44) ~[classes/:na]
    at play
.core.Router$HandlerInvoker$$anon$3.call(Router.scala:1080) ~[play_2.9.1-
Re: [akka-user] Failure to Bind to a Remote IP Address for Akka Actor System rkuhn 9/13/12 2:12 PM
Hi Louis,

on each server you need to start an actor system, and each system needs to bind to its own local IP address. Then you can deploy actors from one to the other using akka.actor.deployment (for example), or you can look up pre-created actors using system.actorFor. Please have a look at the remoting docs, which include examples for both scenarios.

Regards,

Roland
unk...@googlegroups.com 9/14/12 10:58 AM <This message has been deleted.>