Hardware restrictions

Showing 1-17 of 17 messages
Hardware restrictions Helio Frota 2/13/13 7:58 PM
Hello everybody,

I'm reading from the beginning of the adoption program of openjdk.

I stopped in this part:
"You'll want to make sure That your hardware is fairly modern. That is, multi-core processor (s), lots of RAM (8GB recommended)"
http://java.net/projects/adoptopenjdk/pages/YourOwnEnvironment

My machine does not have 8GB of RAM
I need to get a new computer to be able to continue ?

Thanks

Re: Hardware restrictions Richard Warburton 2/14/13 1:26 AM
No - you can build openjdk with far less RAM than that.  It will be slow if you have slow hardware though.  Since build-infra (the new build system) has come in you can do incremental builds as well so compile times are not such an issue.

On a broader note I think we should cut those requirements down a bit they're quite worrying for people and you really don't need 8GB of RAM.

regards,

  Richard Warburton

Re: Hardware restrictions Helio Frota 2/14/13 2:01 AM
Hi Richard Warburton,

Thanks for reply.

I will try on ADM Turion dual core 2.0GHZ with 512KB of cache, 3GB of RAM running raw gentoo GNU/Linux only with X11 and XFCE4 window manager.

I hope to succeed.

Regards
Re: Hardware restrictions Martijn Verburg 2/14/13 2:03 AM
Hi Helio,

You should be OK under the new build, however I do recommend that in
order to make it faster that you don't have too many things running at
the same time :-).

I'm changing the note on the wiki.

Cheers,
Martijn
Cheers,
Martijn

Re: Hardware restrictions Helio Frota 2/14/13 2:43 AM
Hi Martijn,

I will check if X11 is required for the build, if not, i will try from text mode only starting with 40MB of RAM. (wish me luck)

If I succeed, i will write the steps here ok ?

Thanks for reply and for change the note on the wiki.

2013/2/14 Martijn Verburg <martijn...@gmail.com>

--
Helio Frota
http://www.heliofrota.com/

2013/2/14 Martijn Verburg <martijnverburg@gmail.com>
Hi Helio,

You should be OK under the new build, however I do recommend that in
order to make it faster that you don't have too many things running at
the same time :-).

I'm changing the note on the wiki.

Cheers,
Martijn
Cheers,
Martijn
> email to adopt-openjdk+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

> Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/adopt-openjdk?hl=en-GB.

Helio Frota
http://www.heliofrota.com/

Cheers,
Martijn
Re: Hardware restrictions Helio Frota 2/17/13 3:31 AM
Build started, until now not passed from 1024MB of RAM..

2013/2/14 Martijn Verburg <martijn...@gmail.com>

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/adopt-openjdk?hl=en-GB.

Re: Hardware restrictions Helio Frota 2/17/13 6:49 AM
Hi guys,

What needs to be done to formalize the participation of CEJUG on adoption of OpenJDK ?

Thanks

2013/2/17 Helio Frota <helio...@gmail.com>
Re: Hardware restrictions mani 2/17/13 7:12 AM
Martijn is there any formality required of just joining the mailing list and the java.net sites are good enough. The rest will come from participation with patches (Github forks & push requests) - did i get these right?

Cheers,
maniTwitter: @theNeomatrix369
JUG activity: LJC Advocate
Don't chase success, rather aim for "Excellence", and success will come chasing after you!
Re: Hardware restrictions Helio Frota 2/17/13 7:17 AM
http://java.net/projects/adoptopenjdk/pages/AdoptOpenJDK#Who_s_Adopting_OpenJDK?

The wiki points to some JUGs, i am a new jug leader from CEJUG

What needs to be done to put CEJUG in this list ?

2013/2/17 Mani Sarkar <sadh...@gmail.com>
Re: Hardware restrictions mani 2/17/13 7:29 AM
I'll add you to the list ! WHat does CE stand for?
Re: Hardware restrictions mani 2/17/13 7:33 AM
Okay I have added you, can you please check if the details are correct.

Martijn - is that how you add them, or is there another step to do before adding to the list?

On Sun, Feb 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM, Helio Frota <helio...@gmail.com> wrote:
http://java.net/projects/adoptopenjdk/pages/AdoptOpenJDK#Who_s_Adopting_OpenJDK?

The wiki points to some JUGs, i am a new jug leader from CEJUG

What needs to be done to put CEJUG in this list ?

2013/2/17 Mani Sarkar <sadh...@gmail.com>
Martijn is there any formality required of just joining the mailing list and the java.net sites are good enough. The rest will come from participation with patches (Github forks & push requests) - did i get these right?

Cheers,
mani

--
Twitter: @theNeomatrix369
JUG activity: LJC Advocate
Don't chase success, rather aim for "Excellence", and success will come chasing after you!
Re: Hardware restrictions Helio Frota 2/17/13 7:33 AM
Hi Mani !

"CE" means Ceara , is a state of  Brazil.

"Ceara Java User Group "

http://www.cejug.org/

Member of JCP and JSRs  adotion program too !
http://www.cejug.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/jcp-org-jug-list.png

2013/2/17 Mani Sarkar <sadh...@gmail.com>
Re: Hardware restrictions Helio Frota 2/17/13 7:36 AM
Thanks Mani !

You is awesome !

The CEJUG community thanks

2013/2/17 Helio Frota <helio...@gmail.com>
Re: Hardware restrictions Helio Frota 2/17/13 11:39 AM
Re: Hardware restrictions mani 2/17/13 3:36 PM
Thanks Helio, also congrats on becoming the leader of CEJUG! And many thanks for these logs! Could you share with us what you did to optimise build time (and what your system configurations were during each attempt) so that we can use them for our wiki instructions for OpenJDK - for the benefit of the existing and new members of the community!

Great achievement, welldone!

Cheers,
mani
Re: Hardware restrictions Helio Frota 2/17/13 3:51 PM
Hi Mani !

I answer that on the another list.

I just put the ccache to work so the second build is 20 min more fast here on my machine.
: ]

My machine:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | head -n 9
processor    : 0
vendor_id    : AuthenticAMD
cpu family    : 17
model        : 3
model name    : AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70
stepping    : 1
microcode    : 0x2000057
cpu MHz        : 1999.037
cache size    : 512 KB  <---- ridiculous processor cache : ]

And 2780MB of RAM

I speculated about other points of optimization of the build in the email sent to another list.

Thanks again !