Further work on the new Patch submission process

Showing 1-16 of 16 messages
Further work on the new Patch submission process Martijn Verburg 2/17/13 9:48 AM
Hi all,

So I've run this past a few folks and we've come up with the following workflow (note this is using jdk8/tl forest as an example - we'll likely have a repo per top level OpenJDK forest):

1.) The official OpenJDK jdk8/tl forest and the Adopt OpenJDK GitHub jdk8_tl project will be kept in sync (via Mercurial hook)

2.) People can fork from the GitHub project and make Pull Requests.

3.) The Pull Requests will be reviewed by Adopt OpenJDK reviewers (including further down the track, automated review such as checkstyle).

3.a) When finally accepted, will have a webrev generated for them

4.) The webrev will be sent to the appropriate OpenJDK sponsor/mailing list for review.

4.a.) and if further work is required then the original pull request should be updated and the webrev re-generated.

5.) When the webrev is finally accepted and merged, then we loop back to 1.).

So slightly oddly, Pull Requests will never be "accepted", as we want the Mercurial Repo to be the canonical source.

We're hoping to do the work to build steps 1.) and 3.a) next Sunday and will likely have the full flow up and running around the 25th of Feb.

In the mean time I'll still look at the old back logs and clear them out then shutdown those old projects.

Cheers,
Martijn
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Martijn Verburg 2/17/13 9:53 AM
BTW - I've shut off Pull Request Access for now until we get the workflow correct - else it's going to get.... messy :-).

Cheers,
Martijn
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process mani 2/17/13 3:31 PM
That's great news! Things are falling in their place!

Cheers,
mani

Twitter: @theNeomatrix369
JUG activity: LJC Advocate
Don't chase success, rather aim for "Excellence", and success will come chasing after you!
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Martijn Verburg 2/24/13 9:27 AM
Hi all,

Further progress, see https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/Betterrev for
the overall project being worked on and
https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/Betterrev/issues/3 for the current
state of play for the existing blocker.
Cheers,
Martijn
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Martijn Verburg 3/1/13 6:19 AM
Hi all,

I'll be trying to work on this a little more over the weekend (but I
also have training to help out with), will let you know how it goes.
Cheers,
Martijn
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Martijn Verburg 3/9/13 10:25 AM
Hi all,

More news - so we had a meeting with a bunch of folks on Friday night and came to the conclusion that our approach of mercurical to Git involves a Pyramid of Yaks.....

Richard quite sensibly suggested we reduce the Yak pile by trying out bitbucket (basically GitHub for Mercurial) instead so we can focus on the real issues (code review, continuous integration and finding the right mailing list sponsort to submit the patch to).

We're going to take some time out from our start-up (jClarity) to work on this idea on Monday.  Once more apologies for the delays in this programme, we feel your pain, but we know from many years of experience with OpenJDK that we need to get a smooth process in order for patches to flow.

Cheers,
Martijn
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Helio Frota 3/15/13 11:43 PM
Hi Martijn,

Once more apologies for the delays in this programme, we feel your pain, but we know from many years of experience with OpenJDK that we need to get a smooth process in order for patches to flow.

No problem for me, but just keep the good work and thanks for share the information.

2013/3/9 Martijn Verburg <martijn...@gmail.com>

--
Helio Frota
http://www.heliofrota.com/

So I've created an adopto...@gmail.com account to administrate various things like Bitbucket, GitHub, Gravatar etc.

I've also created the BitBucket Adopt OpenJDK team and set myself and Richard up as admins for now.  I'm going to have a crack at importing OpenJDK into a repo this weekend, will let you know how I get on!

* Richard has already built some of the other betterrev tooling
* Mani has been working on the mapping of the package that a patch is in vs the OpenJDK mailing list vs a recommended OpenJDK sponsor to get the patch in.

I apologise again for the slow progress, I'm afraid with Devoxx UK right around the corner I've had very little time for other community work :-(.

Cheers,
Martijn
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Helio Frota 3/16/13 6:27 AM
Hi Martijn, Richard, Mani Good feedback.

So I've created an adopto...@gmail.com account to administrate various things like Bitbucket, GitHub, Gravatar etc.

I've also created the BitBucket Adopt OpenJDK team and set myself and Richard up as admins for now.  I'm going to have a crack at importing OpenJDK into a repo this weekend, will let you know how I get on!

* Richard has already built some of the other betterrev tooling
* Mani has been working on the mapping of the package that a patch is in vs the OpenJDK mailing list vs a recommended OpenJDK sponsor to get the patch in.

Good feedback.

I apologise again for the slow progress, I'm afraid with Devoxx UK right around the corner I've had very little time for other community work :-(.

The community is made by people, no need to apologize, just keep up the good work because you are helping many people including me.

2013/3/16 Martijn Verburg <martijn...@gmail.com>
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Martijn Verburg 3/23/13 4:21 AM
Hi all,

We're at an OpenJDK test fest today with IBM and Oracle.

Some further news:

* Richard has uploaded a version of jdk8/tl into the BitBucket repo, I'll pull that down and see if it builds, we'll then look to provide an alternative to get_source.sh that updates you from BitBucket instead

* Mani is checking his spreadsheet mapping packages to lists with the Oracle folks this weekend

* We'll all be getting together on Easter Monday to try and wrap with work up and make betterrev available to the world.

Cheers,
Martijn
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process mani 3/29/13 5:08 AM
Hi all,

Here's a post from one of the participants at the OpenJDK TestFest in London last week:

Regards,
mani
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Martijn Verburg 4/3/13 1:55 AM
Hi all,

---------
TLDR:
---------

We made lots of progress, we can keep OpenJDK and AdoptOpenJDK BitBucket in sync and are now concentrating on the Betterrev Web Application that will control the workflow of patches.

* We need volunteers to test Richard's script
* We can always do with more development help, especially if you know Play or are good with Regex. See https://bitbucket.org/adoptopenjdk/betterrev if you'd like to join in.

-----------
Details:
-----------

New volunteer!
---------------------

First of all we have a new developer on board, so welcome to Daniel Bryant!  Daniel is building the Java library which will wrap the BitBucket API so we can do things like detect when a new Pull Request has been opened.

So some progress:
---------------------------

1.) Richard managed to complete a script which allows Betterrev to pull from the official OpenJDK repo and push to the Adopt OpenJDK BitBucket master repo.
1.a) That same script can be used by anyone to update their BitBucket fork of OpenJDK with the latest from the Adopt OpenJDK master repo

The idea being that Adopt OpenJDK participants can treat the AdoptOpenJDK master repo as the canonical source of OpenJDK.

2.) We designed a domain model around use cases/stories for Betterrev.
2.a) Richard is building this in the Play framework.
2.b) I'll work with a Graphic Designer we know to design the UI/Ux

Cheers,
Martijn
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Martijn Verburg 4/3/13 1:56 AM
Oh and I forgot.

Mani is working on converting the mappings of packages to projects/mailing lists (Mentors in Betterrev terminology).  If you'd like to help him, please ping him directly (it's Java 7/regex work).

Cheers,
Martijn
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Helio Frota 4/4/13 3:50 PM
Hi all,

What is Betterrev ?

Better review ?
Better revision ?

I created a bitbucket account to start follow.

Thanks

2013/4/3 Martijn Verburg <martijn...@gmail.com>
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Helio Frota 4/4/13 4:18 PM

2013/4/4 Helio Frota <helio...@gmail.com>
Re: Further work on the new Patch submission process Helio Frota 4/4/13 6:54 PM
cool Betterrev runing