Google Groups

sad news

Robert Swartz Feb 1, 1995 9:26 AM
Posted in group: comp.os.coherent
It is my sad duty to announce that Mark Williams Company has gone out
of business.  There are many reasons for this decision.  Some are due
to mistakes that we have made, some to changing business conditions;
but the bottom line is that we must shut our doors.

In our 15 years of business, Mark Williams Company made history in the
computer industry through a series of breakthrough products, of which
any company would be proud:  Coherent, the first commercially viable
clone of UNIX - and the first reasonably priced UNIX for home PCs; csd,
the world's first C source debugger; Let's C, the first low-cost
professional C compiler for the IBM PC; Mark Williams C for the Atari ST,
the first industrial-strength compiler for that machine, and in some ways
still the best; C compilers for Intel, DEC, and Wang; and others too
numerous to list here.  That we've survived so long and done so much is a
testament to the many very capable people who have worked here over the
years; but mainly it is due to our loyal customers, who made it all
possible.  Thank you, one and all.

Site mwc.com will be going off the air.  Those of you who need technical
support can still poll comp.os.coherent; some of our now-former MWC employees
have volunteered to help out.

Again, thank you, and good-bye.

Bob Swartz
r...@mwc.com