Google Groups

Personal search page

Chris Mitchell Mar 30, 1998 12:00 AM
Posted in group: comp.infosystems.search

Jorn Barger wrote:

> 1) a startup page with my most frequent links (incl many local
> directories, for html hacking)
> 2) a secondary page with infrequent bookmarks
> 3) a search page with a form for each of my fave search-engines, with
> the settings I favor.

I experimented with a local search page, on my server
rather than on my hard drive. It had a search box
for the Mamma metasearcher and a directory front-end to
EZ-Connect. It's orphaned now, but the sad remnants may be
seen at http://www.teleport.com/~lensman/yarp.htm

My home page consists of three links to my own sites and
three to other favorites, gussied up with some graphics and
formatting. That's all! Probably less a purist statement
than just my lame attempt at minimalist cool, though.

>Rankdex, which seems a lot more
>effective than Yahoo if I just want a decent page devoted to
>some random topic

If you like Rankdex's laser pinpointing of just a page or
three, I recommend a look at google.stanford.edu which uses
a similar but expanded quality algorithm and a much larger
Chris Mitchell
The Searcher's Road Less Travelled
http://www.teleport.com/~lensman/roadless.htm