Twine 2 prototype

Showing 1-28 of 28 messages
Twine 2 prototype Chris Klimas 4/29/13 9:25 PM
Hi, I finally have a prototype to share with you all.

Please read the disclaimer carefully! I would hate for you to lose data... I don't even want to call it an alpha at this point, because there are many things left to be done and while I've used this to create toy stories (like, 5 passages at most) I have not tried anything serious with it.

More interestingly (?), I have source code repositories set up for both the app and the new template that goes with it and I'm eager for help with both.

There's a lot of ground still to cover... my plan is to periodically update the testing URL as progress is made, so there are especially no guarantees that your data will not get trashed there one day.

chris
Re: [tweecode] Twine 2 prototype thatguynm 4/30/13 1:44 AM
I like this. It's great so far (perfect for when I'm not at my computer). I tried to access it on my iPad, but only the background loaded. I created a new story and either I didn't see it or it wasn't implemented yet, but I had to create a linked passage manually.

I tried to import a story. The first time I clicked 'choose file' and it crashed Chrome. The second time it didn't recognize the file (was importing a .tws file).

I love the new format and I wish I could help you out with something, but my coding skills are very basic :/

Re: Twine 2 prototype Peter Hughes 4/30/13 2:12 AM
This is looking excellent!

Backbone is a sensible choice for app structure/routing etc - have you considered Knockout.js for handling view bindings? I've found the observable system makes changing/adding/removing elements a lot easier than having to hold on to all the DOM objects in Backbone.
Re: [tweecode] Twine 2 prototype Gleb 4/30/13 3:32 AM
It doesn't recognise passage titles, if they're written in unicode (non-latin). Shows all passages as "Untitled passage" in pasages list (when you choose a starting pssage)- but makes links properly, and story (at least, two-pages story) works in browser. I'm using Chrome on Mac OS.

2013/4/30 Chris Klimas <kli...@gmail.com>
Hi, I finally have a prototype to share with you all.

Please read the disclaimer carefully! I would hate for you to lose data... I don't even want to call it an alpha at this point, because there are many things left to be done and while I've used this to create toy stories (like, 5 passages at most) I have not tried anything serious with it.

More interestingly (?), I have source code repositories set up for both the app and the new template that goes with it and I"M eager for help with both.

There's a lot of ground still to cover... my plan is to periodically update the testing URL as progress is made, so there are especially no guarantees that your data will not get trashed there one day.

chris

С уважением,
Глеб Тржемецкий
Re: [tweecode] Twine 2 prototype Gleb 4/30/13 3:34 AM
...but.... It's great piece of work!

2013/4/30 Chris Klimas <kli...@gmail.com>

chris

С уважением,
Глеб Тржемецкий
Re: Twine 2 prototype riidom Li 4/30/13 9:53 AM
This looks very promising!

Works well on Opera Browser on Win XP.
I noticed a few things, probably just not implemented yet, but I'll just list them:
- "Publish to File" just opens a blank tab for me
- in the properties, "snap to grid", "stylesheet" and "javascript" dont work

Re: Twine 2 prototype Chris Martens 4/30/13 8:15 PM
(copying my comment over from a G+ post I thought was yours)

This is fantastic! One note: it looks like you have named links backwards: the desktop Twine client syntax is [[displayText|passageName]], where you have [[passageName|displayText]].

Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Chris
Re: [tweecode] Twine 2 prototype Chris Klimas 5/1/13 7:22 AM

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:44:20 AM UTC-4, thatguynm wrote:
I like this. It's great so far (perfect for when I'm not at my computer). I tried to access it on my iPad, but only the background loaded. I created a new story and either I didn't see it or it wasn't implemented yet, but I had to create a linked passage manually.

Correct, you have to create passages yourself for now. It's broken on iOS but I don't know why yet-- I turned on the Safari debugger on my iPad but all it yielded was a very unhelpful error message (don't remember what it was off the top of my head).

.tws import is probably not going to happen for a while, but it is something that I recognize people will want. For now importing lets you import either an archive file (via the Archive button in the upper right of the main page) or a published Twine 2 HTML file -- it now embeds everything you need to edit a story file in the published HTML.
Re: [tweecode] Twine 2 prototype Chris Klimas 5/1/13 7:24 AM

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 6:32:15 AM UTC-4, Gleb wrote:
It doesn't recognise passage titles, if they're written in unicode (non-latin). Shows all passages as "Untitled passage" in pasages list (when you choose a starting pssage)- but makes links properly, and story (at least, two-pages story) works in browser. I'm using Chrome on Mac OS.

Interesting-- I'm not sure why this is.

As a side note I want to eventually change the source code so internationalization will be a snap -- I think I have seen JS libraries to assist with this but I haven't really investigated them yet.
Re: Twine 2 prototype Chris Klimas 5/1/13 7:29 AM
Hm, do any of these demos work for in Opera? http://www.eligrey.com/demos/FileSaver.js/ The library claims it supports Opera 11+.

To be honest, since Opera will be moving to using the Chromium engine in the near future (i.e. http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/02/hey-presto-opera-switches-to-webkit/), it may not be worth it to chase bugs related to it.

The properties fields you noticed aren't implemented -- yet.

Re: Twine 2 prototype Chris Klimas 5/1/13 7:31 AM

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 11:15:55 PM UTC-4, Chris Martens wrote:
This is fantastic! One note: it looks like you have named links backwards: the desktop Twine client syntax is [[displayText|passageName]], where you have [[passageName|displayText]].

Ugh, this is the opposite of Creole (http://www.wikicreole.org/) which I had been using as a conceptual model -- originally Twine borrowed TiddlyWiki's syntax. But I don't want to break people's habits so I'll change it back.
Re: Twine 2 prototype riidom Li 5/1/13 8:34 AM
None of these examples work, they all just open blank tabs (Opera 12.15 here).
I agree, no need to spend time on this - I can use FF as well for now.

Re: Twine 2 prototype johnanth 5/1/13 9:01 AM
Looks brilliant, but I really hope we won't be forced to use the horrible Twitter Bootstrap widget style. I guess quitting the usage of TiddlyWiki was for the best though (created lots of problems from what I've heard). :)

So yeah, hoping to see more good stuff!
Re: Twine 2 prototype Chris Klimas 5/2/13 5:40 AM

On Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:01:23 PM UTC-4, johnanth wrote:

Looks brilliant, but I really hope we won't be forced to use the horrible Twitter Bootstrap widget style.

I'm not a graphic designer, but I don't have any objection to incorporating a UI theme someone would like to contribute... so long as it meets my own set of arbitrary standards for UI beauty :)

chris
Re: Twine 2 prototype Kirsty Singleton 5/2/13 11:34 AM

Doesn't seem to load at all in Chrome, so I tried it in IE.  Looks nice, very swish!
Re: Twine 2 prototype Peter Hughes 5/2/13 12:09 PM
What version of Chrome are you on? (latest is around 26, I believe) - works absolutely fine for me. Are there any errors in the web inspector? (press F12 to bring up the console)
Re: Twine 2 prototype Kirsty Singleton 5/2/13 1:33 PM
Version 26.0.1410.64 m, I have Adblock plus and Better Pop up blocker installed, allowed the site for both but still nothing.  Got this error in the web inspector:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'mouse' of undefined
Re: Twine 2 prototype Chris Klimas 5/3/13 1:59 PM

On Thursday, May 2, 2013 4:33:34 PM UTC-4, Kirsty Singleton wrote:

Version 26.0.1410.64 m, I have Adblock plus and Better Pop up blocker installed, allowed the site for both but still nothing.  Got this error in the web inspector:

Can you try disabling both those temporarily and see what happens? I use Chrome while developing so this is extra puzzling.

chris
Re: Twine 2 prototype Kirsty Singleton 5/4/13 3:19 AM
I've disabled every extension installed and restarted, and I'm still getting:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'mouse' of undefined.

Also tried running in incognito mode (not sure if that'd make any difference), I can't really think of any other way to test it?  Will log on to my laptop and see if it works from there...
Re: Twine 2 prototype maanto 7/8/13 1:13 AM
It looks like the <html></html> tags don't work. Is that listed somewhere? I didn't see any mention of it. Sorry if it is.
Re: [tweecode] Re: Twine 2 prototype Chris Klimas 7/8/13 5:38 AM
Hi, the prototype is using Markdown syntax, so in theory you should be able to embed HTML in it without using an <html> tag... but that looks like it's broken right now. Something for us to fix in the near future!

chris

Re: [tweecode] Re: Twine 2 prototype maanto 7/11/13 11:49 AM
Awesome, thank you, Chris!

Just a random thought for added future functionality as well...
We recently got our first tablet and I was thinking it would be great if tablet browsers were supported. I know more people that have tablets these days, and some of them would probably be good candidates to try out Twine.

I don't know if it's just my tablet that's not loading the page, or if anyone else has tried loading the Twine 2 pre-alpha on their tablets, but it looks to me like it just loads the blueprinty background image.
I'm using a Nook HD+, and tried it on all 3 browsers, Firefox, Chrome, and Opera.
Re: [tweecode] Re: Twine 2 prototype Chris Klimas 7/12/13 5:58 AM
Yes, there's something wrong right now with the current prototype with browsers on touch-based browsers. I don't really know what the cause is yet, but it's obviously important -- I think tablets should be a viable platform for Twine 2 -- so if anyone figures it out before me, please let me know! I tried using JQuery Touch Punch for this (http://touchpunch.furf.com) but I think I'm doing it wrong somehow.

chris
Re: Twine 2 prototype Darkhog 7/26/13 3:50 PM
While I certainly dig online Twine, I think we shouldn't abandon desktop version. Sometimes you don't have proper internet access. Sometimes you want to move project to different computer (moving .tws file is certainly easier than getting to know where is your browser's local storage and moving that), etc.
Re: Twine 2 prototype Andrew Jackson 11/16/13 1:37 PM
I love the project so far - please don't let it rest or give up on the development

On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:25:59 AM UTC-4, Chris Klimas wrote:
Re: [tweecode] Re: Twine 2 prototype Chris Klimas 11/18/13 6:09 PM
Thanks! This is a good chance to update everyone on Twine 2. The goal is to get a beta out by the end of the year, and I think this is feasible though it will likely land right at the end of December, and not match all of the features of Twine 1. But you'll be able to create basic stories with it, and it'll also be a good chance to get some more feedback from the community.

Leon also posted some notes on what he's been working on for the new runtime here: http://twine2.neocities.org/

chris

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Andrew Jackson <ajac...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Re: [tweecode] Re: Twine 2 prototype Richard Sharpe 11/22/13 4:19 PM
Dear Mr. Klimas,

Thanks so much for making and maintaining Twine. I really appreciate all the effort. It has brought me much entertainment and given me a creative outlet.

Kindest regards,

—Richard Sharpe
Re: [tweecode] Re: Twine 2 prototype Емануил Томов 11/23/13 12:27 AM
Very well said. Same for me.
More topics »