OT: do I need to match MTB tube and tire diameters?

Showing 1-3 of 3 messages
OT: do I need to match MTB tube and tire diameters? Nathan Dushman 5/1/12 4:17 PM
I'm planning to go mountain biking tomorrow afternoon with coworkers.
My mountain bike doubles as my city bike and it currently has 1.5"
slick tires with appropriately-sized tubes.  I'm going to swap out the
tires for 2.2" ones with more tread.  If I use the smaller diameter
tubes with the larger diameter tires, am I likely to be sad the first
time I hit a substantial bump?

Nathan
Re: OT: do I need to match MTB tube and tire diameters? TedK 5/1/12 4:19 PM

It probably will not fail immediately, but it's not the best.

Re: OT: do I need to match MTB tube and tire diameters? Ben Kochie 5/1/12 6:07 PM
The tubes probably say exactly what range they're supposed to handle.
Personally I would just grab a second set of tubes.