iPad 2 - Picture Orientation Issue

Showing 1-2 of 2 messages
iPad 2 - Picture Orientation Issue Nick 7/6/12 8:01 AM
Hi,

I'm having picture orientation issues when using the camera on my iPad 2. The saved pictures are not oriented correctly when displayed in full screen mode using PhotoSwipe for example. Test system:

iPad 2 with iOS 5.1.1
Rhodes 3.3.3 + Ruby 1.9.3 on Mac OS X 10.7.4
XCode 4.3.3 - iOS SDK 5.1 (Target iOS SDK 4.2).

If I use the following code, the pictures are not oriented correctly:

settings = {:enable_editing => false, :desired_width => 800, :desired_height => 800}
Camera::take_picture(url_for(:action => :camera_callback_new), settings)

Picture taken holding the iPad in Portrait Mode. The orientation in the EXIF is Orientation 6 Rotated 90 degrees CCW. This picture should not be rotated.

Picture taken holding the iPad in Landscape Mode (Rotated clockwise 90 degrees). The orientation in the EXIF is Orientation 3 Rotated 180 degrees. This picture should not be displayed flipped 180 degrees.

If I use the following code, the pictures are oriented correctly:

settings = {:enable_editing => true}
Camera::take_picture(url_for(:action => :camera_callback_new), settings)

Picture taken holding the iPad in Portrait Mode. The orientation in the EXIF is Orientation 1 Normal. This picture displays correctly.

Picture taken holding the iPad in Landscape Mode (Rotated 90 degrees clockwise). The orientation in the EXIF is Orientation 1 Normal. This picture displays correctly.

I would like to not use ":enable_editing => true" so that I can save higher resolution pictures. Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks,

Nick,

Re: iPad 2 - Picture Orientation Issue Nick 8/10/12 7:15 AM
I fixed this problem by using the UIImage+Resize class extension. I submitted a pull request to rhodes. Hopefully it will be integrated. This problem apparently affects all iOS devices.

Nick,