Dr. Who's real name

Showing 1-197 of 197 messages
Dr. Who's real name Steven Moffat 1/8/95 5:21 PM
Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
of it.

Steven Moffat

Dr. Who's real name Pat Wigfull 1/8/95 7:07 PM
Steven Moffat (100043.121@CompuServe.COM) wrote:
: Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to

That's a great idea! Damn! I wish I HAD thought of it... I'm going to get
my TARDIS working again, go back in time and post it first! :)

Good stuff.. I really like it... If only the Doctor Who writers could be
so imaginative...

Pat

Dr. Who's real name Richard Evans 1/8/95 7:11 PM

>: direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
>: history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
>: him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
>: of it.

Sorry to disappoint you,  but the Doctor's real name is "Gern Blanston".

-- Richard
   http://www.mindspring.com/~neppie/neppie.html

Dr. Who's real name Jason A. Miller 1/9/95 6:41 AM
In article <neppie.21...@mindspring.com>, nep...@mindspring.com (Richard Evans) writes...

>Sorry to disappoint you,  but the Doctor's real name is "Gern Blanston".

        No it isn't, it's "Gordon Schumway".

        Co-starring Max Wright as "Willie Tanner", the new companion.

-Jason A. Miller
"some doctor guy"

Dr. Who's real name Corey Klemow--76670.1123@compuserve.com 1/9/95 3:50 PM

and then Jason a. Miller said:
>No it isn't, it's "Gordon Schumway".

>Co-starring Max Wright as "Willie Tanner", the new companion.

Wrong.  The Doctor's real name is Cosmo.  Cosmo Kramer.

Corey Klemow
76670,11...@compuserve.com

Dr. Who's real name Christopher D. Heer 1/12/95 10:17 AM
In article <3eq355$pln$1...@mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, Steven Moffat
<100043.121@CompuServe.COM> wrote:

> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
> of it.

What a cool idea!

You know, that makes some kind of wacky Whovian sense.  I mean, he's
impacted history enough in other ways. . . hey, why not?
--
Christopher D. Heer| "He's back, and it's about time!"
 ch...@isisph.com  |   -- Doctor Who: coming to FOX, May 1995!

Re: Dr. Who's real name Daniel 6/7/11 5:56 AM
Hello from the future.
Just watched the last episode of 6th season.

So you did it, Mr. Moffat, you put this idea in the series. After 16 years from its creation.

That's freaking amazing.

Re: Dr. Who's real name GezD 6/7/11 6:40 AM

nice find Daniel.

unk...@googlegroups.com 6/7/11 9:09 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Dr. Who's real name Ben Carneiro 6/7/11 9:17 AM

Sir Moffat. I admire you. You keep moffucking us, and I love it every
time. You probably just left fifty hints to season twelve's story-arch
in the last episode. Please don't ever leave head writer.

Re: Dr. Who's real name Jorge 6/12/11 1:27 PM

I Love it.  Oh, and did anyone notice that Moff's email address here
is a compuserve.com address? Freaking awesome. We love you, Mr. Moff!

Re: Dr. Who's real name joe_b...@hotmail.com 6/15/11 3:35 AM
Very cool find. And you even gave the dialogue to River Song too. Love it. Now I'm off the find any other posts by Mr Moffat odtted around the internet from 1995 which mention Omega symbols and regenerating young girls...
Re: Dr. Who's real name halogu...@gmail.com 6/18/12 8:35 PM
You know, normally I don't believe in destiny, but this seems like it to me.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Your Name 6/18/12 11:56 PM

Inspector Morse never revealed his first name during the most of the
seasons, but it was eventually revelaed to be "Endeavour Morse".

Maybe The Doctor has an equally unique name ... maybe "Mayflower Who".  ;-)

Of course since names don't actually mean anything (as we've discovered in
the "reboot" topic), he may as well be called "Wibble" as well ... just
replace every noun with "Wibble" and every verb with the appropriately
extended version ("wibbling", "wibbled", "wibbles", etc.).  :-\
Re: Dr. Who's real name Adam H. Kerman 6/19/12 2:44 AM
Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:

>Inspector Morse never revealed his first name during the most of the
>seasons, but it was eventually revelaed to be "Endeavour Morse".

>Maybe The Doctor has an equally unique name ... maybe "Mayflower Who".  ;-)

So, really embarassing, heh.
unk...@googlegroups.com 6/19/12 2:48 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 6/19/12 4:32 AM
In article <ce8754f3-26aa-4f1a-a0e3-dbd48c088c55@googlegroups.com>,
steve, please recall Trial of a Time Lord PArt 1.
--
Member - Liberal International        This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k

<halogu...@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
ce8754f3-26aa-4f1a-a0e3-dbd48c088c55@googlegroups.com...
> On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
>> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
>> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
>> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
>> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
>> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
>> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
>> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
>> of it.
>>
>> Steven Moffat
>
> You know, normally I don't believe in destiny, but this seems like it to
> me.

Well, I don't know what the Doctor's real name is, but I do think that the
Master's name is Baytor.

All right, I'm out of here !

Gérard Morvan (who used that because Garth Ennis couldn't).

"Kentoc'h Mervel!"

Re: Dr. Who's real name Charles E. Hardwidge 6/19/12 2:09 PM
"gerard.morvan" <gerard...@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message

> Well, I don't know what the Doctor's real name is, but I do think that the
> Master's name is Baytor.

"Baytor" sounds like your typical evil villain of a certain age type of name
which some may think is slightly ludicrous post-globalisation. OTOH, "Gok
Wan" is more proof of irony, the fifth fundamental force.

--
Charles E. Hardwidge

Re: Dr. Who's real name Duggy 6/19/12 7:57 PM
On Jun 20, 7:09 am, "Charles E. Hardwidge" <nos...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:
> "gerard.morvan" <gerard.mor...@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message

> > Well, I don't know what the Doctor's real name is, but I do think that the
> > Master's name is Baytor.

> "Baytor" sounds like your typical evil villain of a certain age type of name
> which some may think is slightly ludicrous post-globalisation. OTOH, "Gok
> Wan" is more proof of irony, the fifth fundamental force.

Clearly Charles Hardwidge is the only Master Baytor here.

===
= DUG.
===
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Coca Cola Kid 6/19/12 9:04 PM
Sometimes, I swear, when certain people are writing for him, it has got to
be Mary-Sue.

Re: Dr. Who's real name squirrels...@gmail.com 6/21/12 1:34 AM
On Monday, January 9, 1995 11:21:26 AM UTC+10, Steven Moffat wrote:
> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> historyah hah as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
Re: Dr. Who's real name ellysn...@gmail.com 8/6/12 5:28 AM
oh, no, his name is fluffy. fluffy who.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 8/6/12 7:44 AM
In article <efef5f91-56bb-485e-a10a-135a6e09de8e@googlegroups.com>,
The Doctor is no Fluffy.
--
Member - Liberal International        This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k
Quebec le 4 Sept 2012 ne votez pas pour le PQ!
Re: Dr. Who's real name elliso...@gmail.com 9/6/12 5:40 PM
On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
Congratulation Steven Moffat. I have never been more impressed. You truly are an amazing writer.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Fett 9/6/12 9:47 PM
I hate this kind of thinking. Do we have to make the Doctor connected to every ever done/made/happened etc etc? His name is really completely unimportant as well. The whole point of him, to me, is that 95% of what he does any person could do. He is, at his core, just a person trying to help and do the right things.

-Fett

On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
Re: Dr. Who's real name Duggy 9/6/12 10:09 PM
On Friday, 7 September 2012 14:47:22 UTC+10, (unknown)  wrote:
> I hate this kind of thinking. Do we have to make the Doctor connected to every ever done/made/happened etc etc? His name is really completely unimportant as well. The whole point of him, to me, is that 95% of what he does any person could do. He is, at his core, just a person trying to help and do the right things.

Nice come back.  Does it always take you 12 years?
Re: Dr. Who's real name MDS 9/7/12 2:14 AM
fett2...@gmail.com wrote:

> I hate this kind of thinking. Do we have to make the Doctor connected to every ever done/made/happened etc etc? His name is really completely unimportant as well. The whole point of him, to me, is that 95% of what he does any person could do. He is, at his core, just a person trying to help and do the right things.
>
> -Fett
>
> On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
> > Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> > be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> > doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> > earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> > direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> > history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
> > him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
> > of it.
> >
> > Steven Moffat

Dude, welcome back!

--
MDS (Mister Doctor Sir)
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/7/12 7:04 AM
 <fett2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I hate this kind of thinking. Do we have to make the Doctor connected to ev=
>ery ever done/made/happened etc etc? His name is really completely unimport=
>ant as well. The whole point of him, to me, is that 95% of what he does any=
> person could do. He is, at his core, just a person trying to help and do t=
>he right things.=20
>
>-Fett
>
>On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
>> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to=20
>> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no=20
>> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our=20
>> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is=20
>> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our=20
>> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from=20
>> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud=20
>> of it.
>>=20
>> Steven Moffat

Fett is that you?

BTW Moffat is interesting when it comes to posts.
--
Member - Liberal International        This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k
USA petition to dissolve the Republic and vote to disoolve it in November 2012
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/7/12 7:05 AM
In article <ab713224-6e93-411c-9096-7e1c5f0898b7@googlegroups.com>,
Duggy  <p.allan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Friday, 7 September 2012 14:47:22 UTC+10, (unknown)  wrote:
>> I hate this kind of thinking. Do we have to make the Doctor connected to =
>every ever done/made/happened etc etc? His name is really completely unimpo=
>rtant as well. The whole point of him, to me, is that 95% of what he does a=
>ny person could do. He is, at his core, just a person trying to help and do=
> the right things.=20
>
>Nice come back.  Does it always take you 12 years?

Google did archine Moffat correctly.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/7/12 7:06 AM
In article <5049BB0A.7206@RADW.USENET>, MDS  <MDS@RADW.USENET> wrote:
>fett2...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> I hate this kind of thinking. Do we have to make the Doctor connected to every ever done/made/happened etc etc? His name is really completely unimportant as well. The whole point of him, to me, is that 95% of what he does any person could do. He is, at his core, just a person trying to help and do the right things.
>>
>> -Fett
>>
>> On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
>> > Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
>> > be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
>> > doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
>> > earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
>> > direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
>> > history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
>> > him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
>> > of it.
>> >
>> > Steven Moffat
>

>Dude, welcome back!
>

>--
>MDS (Mister Doctor Sir)

REvival!!
Re: Dr. Who's real name Fett 9/7/12 9:18 PM
On Friday, September 7, 2012 1:09:21 AM UTC-4, Duggy wrote:
> On Friday, 7 September 2012 14:47:22 UTC+10, (unknown)  wrote:
>
> > I hate this kind of thinking. Do we have to make the Doctor connected to every ever done/made/happened etc etc? His name is really completely unimportant as well. The whole point of him, to me, is that 95% of what he does any person could do. He is, at his core, just a person trying to help and do the right things.
>

> Nice come back.  Does it always take you 12 years?

Somebody brought it back. It's an opinion not a comeback ya d-bag.

-Fett

Re: Dr. Who's real name Fett 9/7/12 9:18 PM
-Thanks!

Re: Dr. Who's real name Fett 9/7/12 9:19 PM
On Friday, September 7, 2012 10:04:10 AM UTC-4, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <38bc65a7-89fc-4b04-b301-91078cb62f8c@googlegroups.com>,
>
>  <fett2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I hate this kind of thinking. Do we have to make the Doctor connected to ev=
>
> >ery ever done/made/happened etc etc? His name is really completely unimport=
>
> >ant as well. The whole point of him, to me, is that 95% of what he does any=
>
> > person could do. He is, at his core, just a person trying to help and do t=
>
> >he right things.=20
>

> >-Fett
>

> >On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
>
> >> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to=20
>
> >> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no=20
>
> >> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our=20
>
> >> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is=20
>
> >> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our=20
>
> >> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from=20
>
> >> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud=20
>
> >> of it.
>
> >>=20
>
> >> Steven Moffat
>

> Fett is that you?

Yup. It's me.

> BTW Moffat is interesting when it comes to posts.

Elaborate please.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/8/12 5:45 AM
In article <6d172e94-979d-4f77-9be3-d9c6d4fd75da@googlegroups.com>,
 <fett2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Friday, September 7, 2012 1:09:21 AM UTC-4, Duggy wrote:
>> On Friday, 7 September 2012 14:47:22 UTC+10, (unknown)  wrote:
>>=20
>> > I hate this kind of thinking. Do we have to make the Doctor connected t=
>o every ever done/made/happened etc etc? His name is really completely unim=
>portant as well. The whole point of him, to me, is that 95% of what he does=
> any person could do. He is, at his core, just a person trying to help and =
>do the right things.=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Nice come back.  Does it always take you 12 years?
>
>Somebody brought it back. It's an opinion not a comeback ya d-bag.=20
>
>-Fett

Truth be known.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 9/8/12 3:32 PM

<fett2...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Friday, September 7, 2012 10:04:10 AM UTC-4, The Doctor wrote:
>>
>> BTW Moffat is interesting when it comes to posts.
>>

> Elaborate please.

That's Yads you're asking. He makes even less sense now than he did last
time you dropped by.

Re: Dr. Who's real name MDS 9/8/12 3:33 PM
Scary, isn't it?
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/8/12 4:33 PM
In article <0IP2s.355461$Wk.307337@fx09.am4>,
Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

><fett2...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Friday, September 7, 2012 10:04:10 AM UTC-4, The Doctor wrote:
>>>
>>> BTW Moffat is interesting when it comes to posts.
>>>

>> Elaborate please.
>
>That's Yads you're asking. He makes even less sense now than he did last
>time you dropped by.

Just ignore him Rob Fett.
In article <504BC7BF.4F81@RADW.USENET>, MDS  <MDS@RADW.USENET> wrote:
>Stephen Wilson wrote:
>>
>> <fett2...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Elaborate please.
>>
>> That's Yads you're asking. He makes even less sense now than he did last
>> time you dropped by.
>

>Scary, isn't it?
>

>--
>MDS (Mister Doctor Sir)

Wilson is a contradiction on 2 legs.
Re: Dr. Who's real name MDS 9/8/12 4:43 PM
The Doctor wrote:

> In article <0IP2s.355461$Wk.307337@fx09.am4>,
> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> ><fett2...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> Elaborate please.
> >
> >That's Yads you're asking. He makes even less sense now than he did last
> >time you dropped by.
> >

> Just ignore him Rob Fett.
> --

Who the hell is Rob Fett?
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/8/12 4:43 PM
Isn't Fett Rob Fett?
Re: Dr. Who's real name MDS 9/8/12 5:00 PM
The Doctor wrote:

> In article <504BD814.170A@RADW.USENET>, MDS  <MDS@RADW.USENET> wrote:
> >The Doctor wrote:

> >> Just ignore him Rob Fett.
> >> --
> >

> >Who the hell is Rob Fett?
> >

> >--
> >MDS (Mister Doctor Sir)
>
> Isn't Fett Rob Fett?
\

If you're asking if that's his real name, then no.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/8/12 5:35 PM
Hmm.. What is his name again?
Re: Dr. Who's real name MDS 9/8/12 5:37 PM
The Doctor wrote:

> On 2012-09-09, MDS <MDS@RADW.USENET> wrote:
> > The Doctor wrote:

> >> Isn't Fett Rob Fett?
> > \
> >

> > If you're asking if that's his real name, then no.
> >

> Hmm.. What is his name again?

Ask him.  He might tell you.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Fett 9/8/12 9:37 PM
Is that possible? That's like saying 0 - 0 = less than 0. :)
Re: Dr. Who's real name Fett 9/8/12 9:40 PM
On Saturday, September 8, 2012 8:37:04 PM UTC-4, MDS wrote:

> > > \
>

> > > If you're asking if that's his real name, then no.
>

> > Hmm.. What is his name again?
>

> Ask him.  He might tell you.

I assumed he was being clever and abbreviated Boba Fett as Bob Fett aka Rob Fett. I assumed too much.

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/9/12 4:30 AM
In article <e6996810-a979-4903-8123-090b278d7287@googlegroups.com>,
Fett  <fett...@aol.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, September 8, 2012 6:32:29 PM UTC-4, Stephen Wilson wrote:
>> <fett2...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Elaborate please.
>>

>> That's Yads you're asking. He makes even less sense now than he did last
>>
>> time you dropped by.
>
>Is that possible? That's like saying 0 - 0 = less than 0. :)

That makes 0 sense.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/9/12 4:31 AM
In article <1b96f869-4e2a-4e57-8c45-6b9cf902748d@googlegroups.com>,
Fett  <fett...@aol.com> wrote:

>> > Hmm.. What is his name again?
>>

>> Ask him.  He might tell you.
>>

>I assumed he was being clever and abbreviated Boba Fett as Bob Fett aka Rob Fett. I assumed too much.

Stinger!!
Re: Dr. Who's real name drumme...@gmail.com 9/10/12 6:16 PM
On Sunday, January 8, 1995 6:21:26 PM UTC-7, Steven Moffat wrote:
> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
> of it.
>
> Steven Moffat

GO STEVEN MOFFAT!
Re: Dr. Who's real name RebelCanadian 9/10/12 9:26 PM
I thought this was a pretty awesome theory, especially in light of
how things went at Demons Run. IE, The Doctor finding out that in
some places of the universe, "Doctor" means quite the opposite of
'healer' or 'wise man'.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/11/12 6:40 AM
In article <VcOdnQj6CPocINPNnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@giganews.com>,
Welcome Rebel!!
Re: Dr. Who's real name RebelCanadian 9/11/12 12:03 PM
On 2012-09-11, The Doctor <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
> In article <VcOdnQj6CPocINPNnZ2dnUVZ_t6dnZ2d@giganews.com>,
> RebelCanadian  <rebe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> GO STEVEN MOFFAT!
>>
>>I thought this was a pretty awesome theory, especially in light of
>>how things went at Demons Run. IE, The Doctor finding out that in
>>some places of the universe, "Doctor" means quite the opposite of
>>'healer' or 'wise man'.
>
> Welcome Rebel!!

Thanks!
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/11/12 12:05 PM
RebelCanadian <rebe...@gmail.com> wrote:
Stil around.
Re: Dr. Who's real name ¡Gölök Z.L.F Buday AKA The Black Jester AKA The Voltairian 9/29/12 10:15 PM
On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 00:35:32 +0000 (UTC), in rec.arts.drwho The Doctor <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:

¡On 2012-09-09, MDS <MDS@RADW.USENET> wrote:
¡> The Doctor wrote:
¡>>
¡>> In article <504BD814.170A@RADW.USENET>, MDS  <MDS@RADW.USENET> wrote:
¡>> >The Doctor wrote:
¡>> >>
¡>> >> In article <0IP2s.355461$Wk.307337@fx09.am4>,
¡>> >> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
¡>> >> >
¡>> >> ><fett2...@gmail.com> wrote in message
¡>> >> >news:03d5171c-288b-47f7-b630-4c3dd05f6e14@googlegroups.com...
¡>> >> >> On Friday, September 7, 2012 10:04:10 AM UTC-4, The Doctor wrote:
¡>> >> >>>
¡>> >> >>> BTW Moffat is interesting when it comes to posts.
¡>> >> >>>
¡>> >> >>
¡>> >> >> Elaborate please.
¡>> >> >
¡>> >> >That's Yads you're asking. He makes even less sense now than he did last
¡>> >> >time you dropped by.
¡>> >> >
¡>> >> >
¡>> >>
¡>> >> Just ignore him Rob Fett.
¡>> >> --
¡>> >
¡>> >
¡>> >Who the hell is Rob Fett?
¡>> >
¡>> >
¡>> >--
¡>> >MDS (Mister Doctor Sir)
¡>>
¡>> Isn't Fett Rob Fett?
¡> \
¡>
¡>
¡> If you're asking if that's his real name, then no.
¡>
¡>
¡>
¡
¡Hmm.. What is his name again?

Only brought up in Armegeddon Factor, Feta "Feat" Sigma.  At least in Drax's accent it sounds that way.

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 9/30/12 5:51 AM
?G?l?k Z.L.F Buday  AKA The Black Jester AKA The Voltairian <mentalmid...@slave.stopnwo.gubnah.state.us.wa.gov> wrote:
: On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 00:35:32 +0000 (UTC), in rec.arts.drwho The Doctor <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:

: ?On 2012-09-09, MDS <MDS@RADW.USENET> wrote:
: ?> The Doctor wrote:
: ?>>
: ?>> In article <504BD814.170A@RADW.USENET>, MDS  <MDS@RADW.USENET> wrote:
: ?>> >The Doctor wrote:
: ?>> >>
: ?>> >> In article <0IP2s.355461$Wk.307337@fx09.am4>,
: ?>> >> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
: ?>> >> >
: ?>> >> ><fett2...@gmail.com> wrote in message
: ?>> >> >news:03d5171c-288b-47f7-b630-4c3dd05f6e14@googlegroups.com...
: ?>> >> >> On Friday, September 7, 2012 10:04:10 AM UTC-4, The Doctor wrote:
: ?>> >> >>>
: ?>> >> >>> BTW Moffat is interesting when it comes to posts.
: ?>> >> >>>
: ?>> >> >>
: ?>> >> >> Elaborate please.
: ?>> >> >
: ?>> >> >That's Yads you're asking. He makes even less sense now than he did last
: ?>> >> >time you dropped by.
: ?>> >> >
: ?>> >> >
: ?>> >>
: ?>> >> Just ignore him Rob Fett.
: ?>> >> --
: ?>> >
: ?>> >
: ?>> >Who the hell is Rob Fett?
: ?>> >
: ?>> >
: ?>> >--
: ?>> >MDS (Mister Doctor Sir)
: ?>>
: ?>> Isn't Fett Rob Fett?
: ?> \
: ?>
: ?>
: ?> If you're asking if that's his real name, then no.
: ?>
: ?>
: ?>
: ?
: ?Hmm.. What is his name again?

: Only brought up in Armegeddon Factor, Feta "Feat" Sigma.  At least in Drax's accent it sounds that way.

That's a nickname.
unk...@googlegroups.com 10/1/12 4:14 AM <This message has been deleted.>
[DHS-Student] Re: Dr. Who's real name ethan....@doverschools.net 10/10/12 7:48 AM
doctor who is chool
Re: Dr. Who's real name l...@akensai.com 10/18/12 7:04 PM
Oh how I admire you sir. You went through time yourself to create this one and thats not something many can say. We all really just want to hear is name, if only just once, even if it has no meaning. Make. That. Happen.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 10/18/12 7:15 PM
In article <f3f41d1d-56ee-40f1-8b40-eec7a5750570@googlegroups.com>,
Cheers!!!
Re: Dr. Who's real name Your Name 10/18/12 10:41 PM
On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:

> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
> of it.

I was looking up the names on babynames.merschat.com that mean "Healer" to
post as a joke, but the list is too long ... BUT I did find these if you
want to start a wacky conspiracy theory:

   1.  The actress playing the new companion first appeared as a
       character called Oswin, and in Bengali, the girl's name
       Aswini means "healer".

   2.  The name "Oswin" is actually an English boy's name that
       means "God's Friend", so maybe The Doctor's name is "God".

{cue Twilight theme music: do do do-do, ...}   ;-)
unk...@googlegroups.com 10/27/12 3:23 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 10/27/12 4:12 PM
In article <slrnk8onm...@pjr.no-ip.org>,
Peter J Ross  <peadar...@gmx.com> wrote:
>In rec.arts.drwho on Thu, 18 Oct 2012 19:04:18 -0700 (PDT),
>l...@akensai.com <l...@akensai.com> wrote:
>
>> Oh how I admire you sir. You went through time yourself to create this one and thats not something many can say. We all really just want to hear is name, if only just once, even if it has no meaning. Make. That. Happen.
>>
>> On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
>>> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
>>> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
>>> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
>>> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
>>> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
>>> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
>>> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
>>> of it.
>>>
>>> Steven Moffat
>
>Wow. Moffat was a fanwanky moron as early as 1995. Thanks for the
>information.
>

>--
>PJR :-)  |  οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ, τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
>         |  φύλλα τὰ μέν τ' ἄνεμος χαμάδις χέει, ἄλλα δέ θ' ὕλη
>         |  τηλεθόωσα φύει, ἔαρος δ' ἐπιγίγνεται ὥρη·
>         |  ὣς ἀνδρῶν γενεὴ ἡ μὲν φύει ἡ δ' ἀπολήγει. (Homer)

You missed him here I see like me.
Re: Dr. Who's real name emmaw...@gmail.com 11/6/12 1:33 AM
In the early years of doctor who they used to call the doctor "Doctor Who" and in the credits they have Doctor Who and then the actors name. I think the doctor regenerated so many times he slowly changed his name even in his mind...
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 11/6/12 3:52 AM
He is still Doctor Who but most of the time is just called 'Doctor' i like
the mystery of not knowing his real name. At the start he was on the run
from his own people who he would not want any one to know what his real
name was.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 11/6/12 6:04 AM
 <emmaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>In the early years of doctor who they used to call the doctor "Doctor Who" and in the credits they have Doctor Who and then the actors name. I think the doctor regenerated so many times he slowly changed his name even in his mind...

War MAchines and Trial of a TimeLord do come to mind.
Re: Dr. Who's real name alli.m...@gmail.com 11/7/12 7:37 PM
On Sunday, January 8, 1995 7:21:26 PM UTC-6, Steven Moffat wrote:
> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
> of it.
>
> Steven Moffat

HAHA!  I love how he starts out, "Here's a particularly stupid theory..."
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 11/8/12 5:06 AM
In article <6bb36199-2979-44ff-a1bf-c1a80ce7d0c0@googlegroups.com>,
Where did you come from?
--
Member - Liberal International        This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Lest We Forget 11 NOv 2012
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 01:33:21 -0800 (PST), in rec.arts.drwho emmaw...@gmail.com wrote:

ĄIn the early years of doctor who they used to call the doctor "Doctor Who" and in the credits they have Doctor Who and then the actors name. I think the doctor regenerated so many times he slowly changed his name even in his mind...

Dr. John Smith is a joke from the Unearthly Child, Chesterton refers to a book, or in a memory of one told to him by Susan.
Forman was the rust yard.
His classmate, Draxx, called him Feet, Sig,  short for Feta Sigma.
Armageddon Factor of the Key to Time.

Re: Dr. Who's real name luser...@gmail.com 1/7/13 9:32 PM
On Sunday, January 8, 1995 7:21:26 PM UTC-6, Steven Moffat wrote:
> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
> of it.
>
> Steven Moffat

I don't remember the exact title, but there was a novel from the 15th or 16th century called "The Merrie Doctor" or something like that which described a doctor from an unknown foreign land with mystical/magical powers.

There's also the curious character Abaris the Hyperborean from Iamblichus' Life of Pythagoras who travelled using a "magic dart".

And, of course Asklepios from the Pymander (first part of The Corpus Hermeticum).

Some or all of these could be retconned.

HTH
luser-droog
unk...@googlegroups.com 1/7/13 10:12 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Dr. Who's real name brandy...@yahoo.com 1/9/13 7:49 PM
I KNOW THE DOCTORS REAL
NAME AND ITS AN ANAGRAM

Re: Dr. Who's real name Your Name 1/9/13 9:15 PM
In article <a81ffa2d-e374-4669-928c-082c3e4158fe@googlegroups.com>,
brandy...@yahoo.com wrote:

> I KNOW THE DOCTORS REAL
> NAME AND ITS AN ANAGRAM

So his real name is "How" ... Doctor How Who. He must be Chinese.  ;-)
unk...@googlegroups.com 1/9/13 10:32 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/9/13 10:44 PM
¡Gölök Z.L.F Buday  AKA The Black Jester AKA The Voltairian
<mentalmid...@slave.stopnwo.gubnah.state.us.wa.gov> wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 00:35:32 +0000 (UTC), in rec.arts.drwho The Doctor
> <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote:
>
> ¡On 2012-09-09, MDS <MDS@RADW.USENET> wrote:
>> The Doctor wrote:

>>> Isn't Fett Rob Fett?
>> \
>>

>> If you're asking if that's his real name, then no.
>>

> ¡
> ¡Hmm.. What is his name again?
>
> Only brought up in Armegeddon Factor, Feta "Feat" Sigma.  At least in
> Drax's accent it sounds that way.

The doctor is so old that he doesn't remember his own name.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Keith Cunningham 1/10/13 2:09 AM

<brandy...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I KNOW THE DOCTORS REAL
> NAME AND ITS AN ANAGRAM

Ah. So it's Lord Agranam!

KC

unk...@googlegroups.com 1/10/13 4:33 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/10/13 5:41 AM
In article <1430331920379492976.015956bclark-es.co.nz@free.teranews.com>,
It was about to be reveal in Trial of a TimeLord part 1.

--
Member - Liberal International        This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Birthdate : 29 Jan 1969 Redhill UK
On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:12:37 AM UTC-6, Rutles - China Blue Suede Schubert wrote:
> In article <04f49970-13e1-4dd3-85f4-e1b5998ef5c1@googlegroups.com>,
> Alternatively, since it seems the Doctor has been editted out of the universe,
>
> the question that must not be answerred because it will make the universe
>
> realise that one stray time lord is still yomping about the universe after all
>
> time lords were annihilated.

You might enjoy my Caligari digression.
http://scifi.stackexchange.com/a/14766/3007
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/12/13 5:42 AM
In article <5ee9aa70-def6-4fd5-ac6b-83d1ee70caed@googlegroups.com>,
We knwo the Master is on Gallifrey having a fight!
Re: Dr. Who's real name teak 1/12/13 7:47 AM
On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
> of it.
>
> Steven Moffat

Maybe it is John Smith after all.

teak
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/12/13 12:33 PM
In article <6aa78dbc-3360-4487-a211-4d22a9a2c3e7@googlegroups.com>,
Doubtful.
Re: Dr. Who's real name ¡Gölök Z.L.F Buday AKA The Black Jester AKA The Voltairian 3/30/13 6:29 PM
On Sat, 12 Jan 2013 01:06:23 -0800 (PST), in rec.arts.drwho luser...@gmail.com wrote:

�On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:12:37 AM UTC-6, Rutles - China Blue Suede Schubert wrote:
�> In article <04f49970-13e1-4dd3-85f4-e1b5998ef5c1@googlegroups.com>,
�>
�>  luser...@gmail.com wrote:
�>
�>
�>
[...]
�> > >
�>
�> > > Steven Moffat
�>
�> >
�>
[...]

Hah, well out of the Ghostlight directory.

But really, I said many times over.  One is left in E-Space with Biroc, the Villains like Rani won't go back to save them.
The even could have been used by Omega some how, course he is pre-time lord and bodiless.  Drax, which is more
like the Doctor now (Armagheddon Factor) who first gave his real name.  He is a Yeoman in time.
The Monk never got the return visit since the first Doctor and can not go anywhere.
Who knows who were on research projects.

Oh Galifrey can not be destroyed or the Trial of the Timelord can not happen, since it happens in a temporal link of his 6th and almost his last life.  His evil
side.  Actually so many events occur that make it impossible for the Doctor to live without Galifrey remaining.

Course the Trial says "The End of the World" could not happen since his people moved it.  Black lightning.

Oh, his Grand Daughter who he promiced to go back for when leaving her behind (1st).

Notice two of the worse assistant characters had the last name Tyler.  Rose and Steven.

Re: Dr. Who's real name just a fan 4/7/13 9:26 AM
On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
> of it.
>
> Steven Moffat

Is that where you got that bit with the girl from the Gamma Forests in "Demon's Run"?
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 4/7/13 12:49 PM
In article <f7481dfe-630a-4f51-b5da-b9308a7c3c54@googlegroups.com>,
Good question.
--
Member - Liberal International        This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 amnd 53 on Atheism
On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 09:26:47 -0700 (PDT), in rec.arts.drwho just a fan <billythec...@yahoo.com> wrote:

�On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
�> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
�> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
�> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
�> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
�> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
�> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
�> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
�> of it.
�>
�> Steven Moffat

�Is that where you got that bit with the girl from the Gamma Forests in "Demon's Run"?

Castillan in Invasion in Time (Vardan/Santaran attack).
He says to the Santaran leader "He called himself Doctor for many life times, but I never liked him...."

Santaran said to the Doctor "A discretion of one called Lord President..."

Feta Sigma aka Mr Foreman aka John Smith aka The Doctor.

Re: Dr. Who's real name ¡Gölök Z.L.F Buday AKA The Black Jester AKA The Voltairian 4/7/13 3:26 PM
On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 19:49:06 +0000 (UTC), in rec.arts.drwho doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The Doctor) wrote:

�In article <f7481dfe-630a-4f51-b5da-b9308a7c3c54@googlegroups.com>,
�just a fan  <billythec...@yahoo.com> wrote:
�>On Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
�>> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
�>> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
�>> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
�>> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
�>> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
�>> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
�>> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
�>> of it.
�>>
�>> Steven Moffat
�>
�>
�>Is that where you got that bit with the girl from the Gamma Forests in "Demon's Run"?

�Good question.

Moffat is saying this is his idea, that's killing me.

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 4/7/13 3:37 PM
In article <5161f224...@shawnews.vc.shawcable.net>,
ĄGölök Z.L.F Buday  AKA The Black Jester AKA The Voltairian <antihy...@SeAL.NAVY.buggeredbyNSA-NSC.int.nwo.gov> wrote:
>On Sun, 7 Apr 2013 09:26:47 -0700 (PDT), in rec.arts.drwho just a fan <billythec...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>ĄOn Sunday, January 8, 1995 8:21:26 PM UTC-5, Steven Moffat wrote:
>Ą> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
>Ą> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
>Ą> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
>Ą> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
>Ą> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
>Ą> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
>Ą> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
>Ą> of it.
>Ą>
>Ą> Steven Moffat

>ĄIs that where you got that bit with the girl from the Gamma Forests in "Demon's Run"?
>
>Castillan in Invasion in Time (Vardan/Santaran attack).
>He says to the Santaran leader "He called himself Doctor for many life times, but I never liked him...."
>
>Santaran said to the Doctor "A discretion of one called Lord President..."
>
>Feta Sigma aka Mr Foreman aka John Smith aka The Doctor.

Interesting.

REcall the Time War started with Genesis of the Daleks.
Re: Dr. Who's real name dlav...@gmail.com 4/30/13 4:53 AM
On Sunday, January 8, 1995 5:21:26 PM UTC-8, Steven Moffat wrote:
> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
> of it.
>
> Steven Moffat

I'd like to think that he's called The Doctor for some deep, meaningful reason, but my fear (since I'm deeply familliar with British writing) is that it was some casual throwaway line that gained in enigmatic value and is subsequently being played up by each successive writer. The British in particular seem uncannily good at this sort of fiction - taking small, nearly un-noticed bits of dialogue from far earlier and weaving them masterfully into the narrative, then admitting years later that even they the authour had no clue things would turn out that way. It's a skill with detail that as a writer I envy.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Siri Cruise 4/30/13 5:39 AM
In article <2541ad4c-3e4c-41aa-9a90-32b231bd97d9@googlegroups.com>,
They already gave away his name in the Armageddon Factor: Theta Sigma. They just
left out a few letters: Theta epsilon omicron sigma.
--
Mommy wants to take up a collection to send Daddy into space. Once he's
there Mommy says she might take up another collection to bring him back.
On Sunday, January 8, 1995 9:21:26 PM UTC-4, Steven Moffat wrote:
> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
> of it.
>
> Steven Moffat

Oh Steven. Steven Steven Steven Steven.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Your Name 11/30/13 6:54 PM
In article <6d5e8b0e-b892-4706-8e86-56d470a06596@googlegroups.com>,
Like many Asian cultures, the people of Gallifrey have their family
listed first, so the Doctor's full real name is: Who What When How
Where Why.   ;-)
Re: Dr. Who's real name MH 12/1/13 5:23 PM
On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 15:54:58 +1300, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
wrote:
Or, alternatively, they have very long names that get abbreviated,
just like Romanadvoratrelundar.

So, Whodoyouthinkyouarekiddingmisterhitlerifyouthinkwe'reontherundar.

Re: Dr. Who's real name Your Name 12/1/13 10:07 PM
In article <uvnn99l4odssum4ksmri90iito20hc6l8a@4ax.com>, MH
Whodoyouthinkyouare-I'macelbritygetmeouttahere.  ;-)
Dr. Who's real name abip...@gmail.com 12/30/13 4:31 PM
Hey Moffat just wanted to say, almost 19 years in the future you're an arse. I really dislike you at times.

On the bright side, after discovering this God knows how long ago I've realised you're not as sad as me to keep reading this so I can abuse you all I want: twat.

But yeah, to the good stuff and less of me being a prick (I mean, The Day of the Doctor was beautiful) I'm here to congratulate you on this tremendous idea! And the fact you went through with it!

We all love you (secretly)

And yno, if you do check this... Email me maybe?
Re: Dr. Who's real name Silence 1/7/14 6:21 AM
On Monday, January 9, 1995 9:21:26 AM UTC+8, Steven Moffat wrote:
> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
> of it.
>
> Steven Moffat

BRAVO, Mr. Moffat! THAT IS AMAZING!
And I see you have put that idea into the series.
But to be honest, I have, in many years, assumed that maybe the Doctor's real name is actually Who.
Silence 1/7/14 5:53 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Silence 1/7/14 5:55 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Dr. Who's real name Mark Outrage 1/7/14 6:51 PM
Whouronymus Bocks.

Re: Dr. Who's real name Siri Cruz 1/7/14 6:53 PM
George.

'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.'
Re: Dr. Who's real name Your Name 1/7/14 9:03 PM
In article <52ccbd1f$0$51557$c3e8da3$eb767761@news.astraweb.com>, Mark
Outrage <nob...@mailhub.philly.net> wrote:

> Whouronymus Bocks.

Nope, Whozel Gummidge ... and he doesn't regenerate, he simply keeps
changing his turnip 'ead.  ;-)
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/8/14 12:14 AM
Most of the time he is referred to as Doctor. It was Ian (school teacher)
in a early episode that seem to think that he was some kind of Doctor. I
don't think the Doctor has ever been called Mr. Who.

I often wonder if it was planned this way. Did the writers fail to think of
a name for the Doctor or did they want to add some mystery to the series.
It was suggested that who was on the run and may have stolen the Tardis so
he would not want to reveal his real name.
--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Silence 1/8/14 3:21 AM

And now I feel myself a bit of stupid to have guessed the Doctor's name as Who. Before, I was thinking that maybe his name is Who and he chose the name Doctor in order to distract people from thinking his name is actually Who since the question everyone asks about his name would always be 'Doctor Who?'. Now, however, recalling that the Great Intelligence asked, 'Doctor Who?' in 'The Name of the Doctor' in front of the gate locked by the Doctor's real name, I am eventually convinced that the Doctor's name can never be Who or Doctor Who.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/8/14 5:15 AM
In article <b0ec9096-514a-42ef-8a80-576834f80021@googlegroups.com>,
Silence  <tedd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, January 9, 1995 9:21:26 AM UTC+8, Steven Moffat wrote:
>> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
>> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
>> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
>> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
>> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
>> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
>> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
>> of it.
>>
>> Steven Moffat
>
>BRAVO, Mr. Moffat! THAT IS AMAZING!
>And I see you have put that idea into the series.
>But to be honest, I have, in many years, assumed that maybe the Doctor's real name is actually Who.

The         question that must be never asked.
--
Member - Liberal International        This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Mark Outrage  <marko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Whouronymus Bocks.

Doubtful.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/8/14 6:24 AM
Silence <tedd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 8, 2014 4:14:26 PM UTC+8, Brian wrote:
>> Silence <tedd...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> BRAVO, Mr. Moffat! THAT IS AMAZING!
>>
>>> And I see you have put that idea into the series.
>>
>>> But to be honest, I have, in many years, assumed that maybe the Doctor's
>>
>>> real name is actually Who.

I've always understood the word 'Who' to be the name of the program. Just
as you would not call Logan Mr Run in the movie Logan's Run.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/8/14 11:20 AM

"Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message
Have you ever tried watching the credits at the end? Logan's Run is the name
of a film. Michael York plays a character known as "Logan 5". I'm not
entirely sure why anyone would think that "Run" had anything to do with the
character's name. "Run" is what he did, not what he was called.

However, if you look at Dr Who, William Hartnell is credited not as "the
Doctor" but as "Doctor Who". Yet the character is not called either "Doctor"
or "Doctor Who". His actual name has never been revealed. You can think of
him as "Doctor", or you can think of him as "Doctor Who". Whatever suits
you.

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/8/14 12:21 PM
In article <2131611436410883734.102824bclark-es.co.nz@free.teranews.com>,
There is a quote.

Re: Dr. Who's real name williamwright. orsk @ gmail. com 1/8/14 2:37 PM
On 08/01/2014 02:51, Mark Outrage wrote:
>Whouronymus Bocks.

Mr Flibble

From,
William
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/8/14 2:52 PM
In article <52cdd344$0$49654$c3e8da3$fdf4f6af@news.astraweb.com>,
Nice one Mr. Bean.
Re: Dr. Who's real name pudentame 1/8/14 7:47 PM
On Wed, 08 Jan 2014 14:24:59 GMT, Brian <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote:

>Silence <tedd...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Most of the time he is referred to as Doctor. It was Ian (school teacher)
>>> in a early episode that seem to think that he was some kind of Doctor. I
>>> don't think the Doctor has ever been called Mr. Who.
>>>
>>> I often wonder if it was planned this way. Did the writers fail to think of
>>> a name for the Doctor or did they want to add some mystery to the series.
>>> It was suggested that who was on the run and may have stolen the Tardis so
>>> he would not want to reveal his real name.
>>
>> Yea, you are probably right. But if the Doctor chose to hide his name
>> because he was on the run and have stolen a TARDIS, the Timelords and
>> other creatures that are capable to travel in time could simply trace
>> back through the Doctor's history and find his identity out, unless his
>> name is, as Moffat says, The Doctor, for those who want to find the
>> Doctor's name out would always feel that they have not approached the
>> point of time when the Doctor's real name could be told. And it can
>> somewhat prove Moffat's idea.
>>
>> And now I feel myself a bit of stupid to have guessed the Doctor's name
>> as Who. Before, I was thinking that maybe his name is Who and he chose
>> the name Doctor in order to distract people from thinking his name is
>> actually Who since the question everyone asks about his name would always
>> be 'Doctor Who?'. Now, however, recalling that the Great Intelligence
>> asked, 'Doctor Who?' in 'The Name of the Doctor' in front of the gate
>> locked by the Doctor's real name, I am eventually convinced that the
>> Doctor's name can never be Who or Doctor Who.
>
>I've always understood the word 'Who' to be the name of the program. Just
>as you would not call Logan Mr Run in the movie Logan's Run.

It's a stand-in for his name. He introduces himself as "The Doctor",
and the inevitable question is Doctor who?

The Doctor has kind of gone both ways on the question of whether he is
a doctor of medicine; denying it on some occasions & affirming it on
others and at least once having it both ways at once.
Re: Dr. Who's real name pudentame 1/8/14 8:15 PM
On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 13:15:44 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The
Doctor) wrote:

>In article <b0ec9096-514a-42ef-8a80-576834f80021@googlegroups.com>,
>Silence  <tedd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Monday, January 9, 1995 9:21:26 AM UTC+8, Steven Moffat wrote:
>>> Here's a particularly stupid theory.  If we take "The Doctor" to
>>> be the Doctor's name - even if it is in the form of a title no
>>> doubt meaning something deep and Gallifreyan - perhaps our
>>> earthly use of the word "doctor" meaning healer or wise man is
>>> direct result of the Doctor's multiple interventions in our
>>> history as a healer and wise man.  In other words, we got it from
>>> him.  This is a very silly idea and I'm consequently rather proud
>>> of it.
>>>
>>> Steven Moffat
>>
>>BRAVO, Mr. Moffat! THAT IS AMAZING!
>>And I see you have put that idea into the series.
>>But to be honest, I have, in many years, assumed that maybe the Doctor's real name is actually Who.
>
>The         question that must be never asked.

It's the question that must never be answered; hidden in plain sight.

It gets ASKED in just about every episode.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/9/14 5:42 AM
In article <207sc9pm0gmccu0opdum62g8d4mlsb5gej@4ax.com>,
And always will be.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/9/14 7:40 AM
"Stephen Wilson" <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
> "Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>> Silence <tedd...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yea, you are probably right. But if the Doctor chose to hide his name
>>> because he was on the run and have stolen a TARDIS, the Timelords and
>>> other creatures that are capable to travel in time could simply trace
>>> back through the Doctor's history and find his identity out, unless his
>>> name is, as Moffat says, The Doctor, for those who want to find the
>>> Doctor's name out would always feel that they have not approached the
>>> point of time when the Doctor's real name could be told. And it can
>>> somewhat prove Moffat's idea.
>>>
>>> And now I feel myself a bit of stupid to have guessed the Doctor's name
>>> as Who. Before, I was thinking that maybe his name is Who and he chose
>>> the name Doctor in order to distract people from thinking his name is
>>> actually Who since the question everyone asks about his name would always
>>> be 'Doctor Who?'. Now, however, recalling that the Great Intelligence
>>> asked, 'Doctor Who?' in 'The Name of the Doctor' in front of the gate
>>> locked by the Doctor's real name, I am eventually convinced that the
>>> Doctor's name can never be Who or Doctor Who.
>>
>> I've always understood the word 'Who' to be the name of the program. Just
>> as you would not call Logan Mr Run in the movie Logan's Run.
>
> Have you ever tried watching the credits at the end? Logan's Run is the name
> of a film. Michael York plays a character known as "Logan 5". I'm not
> entirely sure why anyone would think that "Run" had anything to do with the
> character's name. "Run" is what he did, not what he was called.
>
> However, if you look at Dr Who, William Hartnell is credited not as "the
> Doctor" but as "Doctor Who". Yet the character is not called either "Doctor"
> or "Doctor Who". His actual name has never been revealed. You can think of
> him as "Doctor", or you can think of him as "Doctor Who". Whatever suits
> you.

He is referred to as Doctor by the other characters in the show. "Ask the
Doctor", "Have you seen the Doctor", "What do you think Doctor?"

I see it as more of a question.
Person 1 "Doctor"
Person 2 "Doctor Who?"

I think Ian said "Doctor Who" in the first episode of the show....or was it
the Doctor that said it to himself. Its been a while since I've seen the
first episode.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/9/14 7:46 AM
pudentame <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 13:15:44 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The
> Doctor) wrote:
>
>> In article <b0ec9096-514a-42ef-8a80-576834f80021@googlegroups.com>,
>> Silence  <tedd...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> BRAVO, Mr. Moffat! THAT IS AMAZING!
>>> And I see you have put that idea into the series.
>>> But to be honest, I have, in many years, assumed that maybe the
>>> Doctor's real name is actually Who.
>>
>> The         question that must be never asked.
>
> It's the question that must never be answered; hidden in plain sight.
>
> It gets ASKED in just about every episode.

Imagine in real life if your name was Who and you became a doctor. "Please
take a seat. doctor who will be with you in a moment" :-)

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/9/14 2:34 PM
>--
>Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name pudentame 1/10/14 9:29 AM
On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 22:34:30 +0000 (UTC), doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca (The
Or if your name was Who and your parents named you Doctor and you
became a world famous baseball player.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/10/14 11:11 AM
In article <beb0d911sa565s1h5cbim3uvui0f0kcbm6@4ax.com>,
NOw that is old!
Re: Dr. Who's real name solar penguin 1/14/14 2:49 AM
On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 15:40:25 +0000, Brian wrote:

> He is referred to as Doctor by the other characters in the show. "Ask
> the Doctor", "Have you seen the Doctor", "What do you think Doctor?"
>
> I see it as more of a question.
> Person 1 "Doctor"
> Person 2 "Doctor Who?"
>
> I think Ian said "Doctor Who" in the first episode of the show....or was
> it the Doctor that said it to himself. Its been a while since I've seen
> the first episode.

Second episode, "The Cave of Skulls".

And it was both Ian and the Doctor who said it, at different points in
the episode:

IAN: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.

DOCTOR: Eh? Doctor who? What's he talking about?

BARBARA: Oh, look, I don't understand it any more than you do. The inside
of the ship, suddenly finding ourselves here. Even some of the things
Doctor Foreman says

IAN: That's not his name. Who is he? Doctor who? Perhaps if we knew his
name we might have a clue to all this.

Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/14/14 5:51 AM
Thanks Solar penguin.
It was a good way of establishing the reason for the title of the show.

I feel that the mystery about the show got it off to a good start.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Ross 1/14/14 6:13 AM

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name pudentame 1/15/14 8:57 PM
<solar....@googlemail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 15:40:25 +0000, Brian wrote:
>

>> He is referred to as Doctor by the other characters in the show. "Ask
>> the Doctor", "Have you seen the Doctor", "What do you think Doctor?"
>>
>> I see it as more of a question.
>> Person 1 "Doctor"
>> Person 2 "Doctor Who?"
>>
>> I think Ian said "Doctor Who" in the first episode of the show....or was
>> it the Doctor that said it to himself. Its been a while since I've seen
>> the first episode.
>
>Second episode, "The Cave of Skulls".
>
>And it was both Ian and the Doctor who said it, at different points in
>the episode:
>
>IAN: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.
>
>DOCTOR: Eh? Doctor who? What's he talking about?

>BARBARA: Oh, look, I don't understand it any more than you do. The inside
>of the ship, suddenly finding ourselves here. Even some of the things
>Doctor Foreman says
>
>IAN: That's not his name. Who is he? Doctor who? Perhaps if we knew his
>name we might have a clue to all this.

Isn't there an earlier reference in the first episode where Ian calls
The Doctor "Mister Foreman" and The Doctor corrects him?
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/15/14 9:48 PM
No its doesn't.
You can check the script at this site

http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/1-1.htm

Its unknown why Ian addresses the Doctor as "Doctor" and not "Mr".

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/16/14 5:18 AM
Member - Liberal International        This is doc...@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doc...@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k  Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Birthdate: 29 Jan 1969 Redhill, Surrey, U.K.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Monsieur Tabernac 1/16/14 5:56 AM
On 16/01/2014 12:48 AM, Brian wrote:
> pudentame <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:

>> Isn't there an earlier reference in the first episode where Ian calls
>> The Doctor "Mister Foreman" and The Doctor corrects him?
>
> No its doesn't.
> You can check the script at this site
>
> http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/1-1.htm
>
> Its unknown why Ian addresses the Doctor as "Doctor" and not "Mr".

Eh?

DOCTOR: They are saying I'm a charlatan. What concrete evidence would
satisfy you?
IAN: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.
DOCTOR: Eh? Doctor who? What's he talking about?
BARBARA: They're so sure, Ian.
IAN: Yes, I know.

Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/16/14 6:52 AM
I might be missing something but I still don't see from the dialog why Ian
would call him Doctor.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Monsieur Tabernac 1/16/14 8:32 AM

IAN: He's a doctor, isn't he? That's a bit of a lame excuse.

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/16/14 12:34 PM
In article <52d7e71b$0$3211$a826...@newsreader.readnews.com>,
Monsieur Tabernac  <mtabernac@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>On 16/01/2014 12:48 AM, Brian wrote:
>> pudentame <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Isn't there an earlier reference in the first episode where Ian calls
>>> The Doctor "Mister Foreman" and The Doctor corrects him?
>>
>> No its doesn't.
>> You can check the script at this site
>>
>> http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/1-1.htm
>>
>> Its unknown why Ian addresses the Doctor as "Doctor" and not "Mr".
>>

>Eh?
>
>DOCTOR: They are saying I'm a charlatan. What concrete evidence would
>satisfy you?
>IAN: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.
>DOCTOR: Eh? Doctor who? What's he talking about?
>BARBARA: They're so sure, Ian.
>IAN: Yes, I know.

The second episode of DW.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/16/14 12:36 PM
In article <473219193411576677.245158bclark-es.co.nz@free.teranews.com>,
Brian  <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote:
>Monsieur Tabernac <mtabernac@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>>> No its doesn't.
>>> You can check the script at this site
>>>
>>> http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/1-1.htm
>>>
>>> Its unknown why Ian addresses the Doctor as "Doctor" and not "Mr".
>>>

>> Eh?
>>
>> DOCTOR: They are saying I'm a charlatan. What concrete evidence would satisfy you?
>> IAN: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.
>> DOCTOR: Eh? Doctor who? What's he talking about?
>> BARBARA: They're so sure, Ian.
>> IAN: Yes, I know.
>
>I might be missing something but I still don't see from the dialog why Ian
>would call him Doctor.
>
>--
>Regards Brian

That goes back to Episode 1 whn Ian and Barbara are in dialogue.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/16/14 12:39 PM
In article <52d80bae$0$3217$a826...@newsreader.readnews.com>,
Monsieur Tabernac  <mtabernac@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
>On 16/01/2014 9:52 AM, Brian wrote:
>> Monsieur Tabernac <mtabernac@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Eh?
>>>
>>> DOCTOR: They are saying I'm a charlatan. What concrete evidence would satisfy you?
>>> IAN: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.
>>> DOCTOR: Eh? Doctor who? What's he talking about?
>>> BARBARA: They're so sure, Ian.
>>> IAN: Yes, I know.
>>
>> I might be missing something but I still don't see from the dialog why Ian
>> would call him Doctor.
>>

>BARBARA: Well, I told you how good she is at history. I had a talk with
>her and told her she ought to specialise. Well, she seemed quite
>interested until I said I'd be willing to work with her at her home.
>Then she said that would be absolutely impossible as her grandfather
>didn't like strangers.
>
>IAN: He's a doctor, isn't he? That's a bit of a lame excuse.

10/10 !
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/16/14 1:57 PM

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
> In article <hjped9p5rg3nosfhooo72r0m0kmc65cm0h@4ax.com>,
> pudentame  <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>>On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:49:21 +0000 (UTC), solar penguin
>><solar....@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>>Second episode, "The Cave of Skulls".
>>>
>>>And it was both Ian and the Doctor who said it, at different points in
>>>the episode:
>>>
>>>IAN: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.
>>>
>>>DOCTOR: Eh? Doctor who? What's he talking about?

>>>BARBARA: Oh, look, I don't understand it any more than you do. The inside
>>>of the ship, suddenly finding ourselves here. Even some of the things
>>>Doctor Foreman says
>>>
>>>IAN: That's not his name. Who is he? Doctor who? Perhaps if we knew his
>>>name we might have a clue to all this.
>>
>>Isn't there an earlier reference in the first episode where Ian calls
>>The Doctor "Mister Foreman" and The Doctor corrects him?
>
> Correct.

0/10

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/16/14 2:04 PM
In article <uBYBu.151$e9.148@fx34.am4>,
Get the script.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/16/14 2:05 PM

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
I don't need it. You're the one that got it wrong.

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/16/14 2:14 PM
In article <6JYBu.30231$Xr3.30144@fx19.am4>,
Episodes 1 and 2.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/16/14 2:42 PM

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
0/10

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/16/14 2:46 PM
In article <VfZBu.3298$5p6.910@fx25.am4>,
That is what you are scoring SW.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/16/14 3:14 PM

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
0/10

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/16/14 7:18 PM
In article <OJZBu.2341$d07.678@fx18.am4>,
Yes SW you are 0/10.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/17/14 6:17 AM
Monsieur Tabernac <mtabernac@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
> On 16/01/2014 9:52 AM, Brian wrote:
>> Monsieur Tabernac <mtabernac@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Eh?
>>>
>>> DOCTOR: They are saying I'm a charlatan. What concrete evidence would satisfy you?
>>> IAN: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.
>>> DOCTOR: Eh? Doctor who? What's he talking about?
>>> BARBARA: They're so sure, Ian.
>>> IAN: Yes, I know.
>>
>> I might be missing something but I still don't see from the dialog why Ian
>> would call him Doctor.
>>

> BARBARA: Well, I told you how good she is at history. I had a talk with
> her and told her she ought to specialise. Well, she seemed quite
> interested until I said I'd be willing to work with her at her home. Then
> she said that would be absolutely impossible as her grandfather didn't like strangers.
>
> IAN: He's a doctor, isn't he? That's a bit of a lame excuse.

OK I'll just have to accept that Susan must have told Ian and Barbara that
her grandfather was a Doctor. Susan would have meant a Doctor of Science
but the school teachers assumed that he was a medical doctor.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/17/14 10:02 AM

>>> That is what you are scoring SW.
>>
>>0/10
>>

> Yes SW you are 0/10.

OK Yads, here's your chance to prove it. I'll make it very easy for you.
Script for An Unearthly Child:
http://dwtpscripts.tripod.com/1stdoc/a/a1.html
Script for The Cave of Skulls:
http://dwtpscripts.tripod.com/1stdoc/a/a2.html

I have watched both episodes. At no point did I hear Ian call the Doctor
"Mister Foreman". At no point could I find a reference in the scripts to
"Mister Foreman".

The scrapyard belongs to I.M. Foreman. Susan is known as "Susan Foreman". In
the first episode, the Doctor is introduced to Ian and Barbara by Susan as
her grandfather. In the second episode Ian to him as "Doctor Foreman" and
later so does Barbara.

So tell me at what point in episodes 1 and 2 you think Ian calls him "Mister
Foreman" because I can't find it.

Re: Dr. Who's real name pudentame 1/17/14 2:35 PM
On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 08:56:46 -0500, Monsieur Tabernac
<mtabernac@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>On 16/01/2014 12:48 AM, Brian wrote:
>> pudentame <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>
>>> Isn't there an earlier reference in the first episode where Ian calls
>>> The Doctor "Mister Foreman" and The Doctor corrects him?
>>
>> No its doesn't.
>> You can check the script at this site
>>
>> http://www.chakoteya.net/doctorwho/1-1.htm
>>
>> Its unknown why Ian addresses the Doctor as "Doctor" and not "Mr".

Found that in the script that you linked to.

Susan's grandfather's profession is apparently in the school's records
about Susan:

..BARBARA: Well, I told you how good she is at history. I had a talk
..with her and told her she ought to specialise. Well, she seemed
..quite interested until I said I'd be willing to work with her at her
..home. Then she said that would be absolutely impossible as her
..grandfather didn't like strangers.
..
..IAN: He's a doctor, isn't he? That's a bit of a lame excuse.

>Eh?
>
>DOCTOR: They are saying I'm a charlatan. What concrete evidence would
>satisfy you?
>IAN: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.
>DOCTOR: Eh? Doctor who? What's he talking about?
Re: Dr. Who's real name pudentame 1/17/14 2:41 PM
On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 14:17:47 GMT, Brian <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote:

>Monsieur Tabernac <mtabernac@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I might be missing something but I still don't see from the dialog why Ian
>>> would call him Doctor.
>>>

>> BARBARA: Well, I told you how good she is at history. I had a talk with
>> her and told her she ought to specialise. Well, she seemed quite
>> interested until I said I'd be willing to work with her at her home. Then
>> she said that would be absolutely impossible as her grandfather didn't like strangers.
>>
>> IAN: He's a doctor, isn't he? That's a bit of a lame excuse.
>
>OK I'll just have to accept that Susan must have told Ian and Barbara that
>her grandfather was a Doctor. Susan would have meant a Doctor of Science
>but the school teachers assumed that he was a medical doctor.

It would be common for school records of the day to include some
information about a student's homelife - address & parents' or
guardian's profession.

I don't expect The Doctor took her down to the school & enrolled her,
but she would have had to fill in the required forms if she self
enrolled.

The more you look at that whole school thing the shakier it gets,
because the back story would make Susan quite a bit older than
secondary school age.
Re: Dr. Who's real name pudentame 1/17/14 3:01 PM
On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 18:02:05 -0000, "Stephen Wilson"

>>>0/10
>>>

>> Yes SW you are 0/10.
>
>OK Yads, here's your chance to prove it. I'll make it very easy for you.
>Script for An Unearthly Child:
>http://dwtpscripts.tripod.com/1stdoc/a/a1.html
>Script for The Cave of Skulls:
>http://dwtpscripts.tripod.com/1stdoc/a/a2.html
>
>I have watched both episodes. At no point did I hear Ian call the Doctor
>"Mister Foreman". At no point could I find a reference in the scripts to
>"Mister Foreman".
>
>The scrapyard belongs to I.M. Foreman. Susan is known as "Susan Foreman". In
>the first episode, the Doctor is introduced to Ian and Barbara by Susan as
>her grandfather. In the second episode Ian to him as "Doctor Foreman" and
>later so does Barbara.
>
>So tell me at what point in episodes 1 and 2 you think Ian calls him "Mister
>Foreman" because I can't find it.

Actually, that was my mistake.

I misremembered the part from the first episode where Barbara & Ian
are discussing Susan & Barbara says Susan's grandfather "doesn't like
strangers" with Ian's response "He's a doctor, isn't he?"

Conflated that with the conversation in episode 2 where Ian calls The
Doctor "Doctor Foreman".
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/17/14 3:18 PM

"pudentame" <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote in message
Oh yes, I'm aware of that. But it was Yads who then went on, not only to say
that you were correct, but also that Ian called the Doctor "Mister Foreman"
in both An Unearthly Child *and* in Cave of Skulls.

Thing with Yads though is he never admits to being wrong. He usually just
calls people names and tries to change the subject.

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/17/14 3:37 PM
In article <1344675046411660664.187484bclark-es.co.nz@free.teranews.com>,
Brian  <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote:
>Monsieur Tabernac <mtabernac@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I might be missing something but I still don't see from the dialog why Ian
>>> would call him Doctor.
>>>

>> BARBARA: Well, I told you how good she is at history. I had a talk with
>> her and told her she ought to specialise. Well, she seemed quite
>> interested until I said I'd be willing to work with her at her home. Then
>> she said that would be absolutely impossible as her grandfather didn't like strangers.
>>
>> IAN: He's a doctor, isn't he? That's a bit of a lame excuse.
>
>OK I'll just have to accept that Susan must have told Ian and Barbara that
>her grandfather was a Doctor. Susan would have meant a Doctor of Science
>but the school teachers assumed that he was a medical doctor.

A Doctor of sorts.

>--
>Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/17/14 3:40 PM
In article <gkcjd9lsmmoo41il0ssp3tbd3s156k7u63@4ax.com>,

>>> Yes SW you are 0/10.
>>
>>OK Yads, here's your chance to prove it. I'll make it very easy for you.
>>Script for An Unearthly Child:
>>http://dwtpscripts.tripod.com/1stdoc/a/a1.html
>>Script for The Cave of Skulls:
>>http://dwtpscripts.tripod.com/1stdoc/a/a2.html
>>
>>I have watched both episodes. At no point did I hear Ian call the Doctor
>>"Mister Foreman". At no point could I find a reference in the scripts to
>>"Mister Foreman".
>>
>>The scrapyard belongs to I.M. Foreman. Susan is known as "Susan Foreman". In
>>the first episode, the Doctor is introduced to Ian and Barbara by Susan as
>>her grandfather. In the second episode Ian to him as "Doctor Foreman" and
>>later so does Barbara.
>>
>>So tell me at what point in episodes 1 and 2 you think Ian calls him "Mister
>>Foreman" because I can't find it.
>>

>Actually, that was my mistake.
>
>I misremembered the part from the first episode where Barbara & Ian
>are discussing Susan & Barbara says Susan's grandfather "doesn't like
>strangers" with Ian's response "He's a doctor, isn't he?"
>
>Conflated that with the conversation in episode 2 where Ian calls The
>Doctor "Doctor Foreman".
>
>"IAN: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.
>DOCTOR: Eh? Doctor who? What's he talking about?"

There we are; context!
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/17/14 3:41 PM
In article <rTiCu.1628$Cq7.1221@fx22.am4>,
Stephen Wilson <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"pudentame" <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote in message
>Oh yes, I'm aware of that. But it was Yads who then went on, not only to say
>that you were correct, but also that Ian called the Doctor "Mister Foreman"
>in both An Unearthly Child *and* in Cave of Skulls.
>
>Thing with Yads though is he never admits to being wrong. He usually just
>calls people names and tries to change the subject.

That is what you get when you show up.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Your Name 1/17/14 4:51 PM
In article <h3cjd91ubo99hofqe2t0objnc8n3q3nojn@4ax.com>, pudentame
<no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:

> It would be common for school records of the day to include some
> information about a student's homelife - address & parents' or
> guardian's profession.
>
> I don't expect The Doctor took her down to the school & enrolled her,
> but she would have had to fill in the required forms if she self
> enrolled.
>
> The more you look at that whole school thing the shakier it gets,
> because the back story would make Susan quite a bit older than
> secondary school age.

It's easy enough to fake forms and backgrounds, as many news stories
will prove.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/17/14 5:28 PM
In article <180120141351434355%YourName@YourISP.com>,
Sad but true.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/18/14 4:02 AM

> In article <gkcjd9lsmmoo41il0ssp3tbd3s156k7u63@4ax.com>,
>>I misremembered the part from the first episode where Barbara & Ian
>>are discussing Susan & Barbara says Susan's grandfather "doesn't like
>>strangers" with Ian's response "He's a doctor, isn't he?"
>>
>>Conflated that with the conversation in episode 2 where Ian calls The
>>Doctor "Doctor Foreman".
>>
>>"IAN: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.
>>DOCTOR: Eh? Doctor who? What's he talking about?"
>>

> There we are; context!

And, as I predicted, you are still unable to admit, let alone apologise, for
being wrong. Just 2 questions for you:

1. The context (preserved in full above) shows that you agreed that Ian
called the Doctor "Mister Foreman". It also shows that you then said he did
this in both episode 1 and episode 2. Do you agree? If you don't agree, what
do you think the context shows you said?

2. The context (preserved in full above) shows that Ian did not call the
Doctor "Mister Foreman" in episode 1 or episode 2. The closest he got was
once in episode 2 where he addressed him as "Doctor Foreman". Do you agree?
If you don't agree, what do you think it shows?

Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/18/14 4:14 AM

"Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in message
> In article <h3cjd91ubo99hofqe2t0objnc8n3q3nojn@4ax.com>, pudentame
> <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> It would be common for school records of the day to include some
>> information about a student's homelife - address & parents' or
>> guardian's profession.
>>
>> I don't expect The Doctor took her down to the school & enrolled her,
>> but she would have had to fill in the required forms if she self
>> enrolled.
>>
>> The more you look at that whole school thing the shakier it gets,
>> because the back story would make Susan quite a bit older than
>> secondary school age.

One theory is that she may well have been older. We don't know Susan's age
in Time Lord terms, let alone human years. However it has been shown that
Time Lords live a lot longer than humans, and also age at a slower rate. So
perhaps by the time they look like a 16 year old human they've been alive
for many more years than that. But in order to blend in on earth, she was
given the alias of a 16 year old girl, and attended school in order to avoid
suspicion (and maybe also to gain knowledge of life on earth and its
history). In 1963, Carol Ann Ford herself was 23 years old.

> It's easy enough to fake forms and backgrounds, as many news stories
> will prove.

And in 1963, records were probably sketchier than they are today. I think
it's a minor issue - but we could always assume that the Doctor forged any
required documentation. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of today's teachers
have never met the parents of some of their pupils...

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/18/14 5:37 AM
In article <MeuCu.70109$B86.7425@fx05.am4>,
Stephen Wilson <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in message
>> In article <h3cjd91ubo99hofqe2t0objnc8n3q3nojn@4ax.com>, pudentame
>> <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be common for school records of the day to include some
>>> information about a student's homelife - address & parents' or
>>> guardian's profession.
>>>
>>> I don't expect The Doctor took her down to the school & enrolled her,
>>> but she would have had to fill in the required forms if she self
>>> enrolled.
>>>
>>> The more you look at that whole school thing the shakier it gets,
>>> because the back story would make Susan quite a bit older than
>>> secondary school age.
>
>One theory is that she may well have been older. We don't know Susan's age
>in Time Lord terms, let alone human years. However it has been shown that
>Time Lords live a lot longer than humans, and also age at a slower rate. So
>perhaps by the time they look like a 16 year old human they've been alive
>for many more years than that. But in order to blend in on earth, she was
>given the alias of a 16 year old girl, and attended school in order to avoid
>suspicion (and maybe also to gain knowledge of life on earth and its
>history). In 1963, Carol Ann Ford herself was 23 years old.

Recall about the bit of when she was from.

>> It's easy enough to fake forms and backgrounds, as many news stories
>> will prove.
>
>And in 1963, records were probably sketchier than they are today. I think
>it's a minor issue - but we could always assume that the Doctor forged any
>required documentation. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of today's teachers
>have never met the parents of some of their pupils...

He might have able to forge something given when he was from.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/18/14 5:59 AM

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
No. When did she say she was from (and the pilot episode doesn't count)? And
what about it? What does it tell us about her age, either in terms of Time
Lord years or human years?

>>> It's easy enough to fake forms and backgrounds, as many news stories
>>> will prove.
>>
>>And in 1963, records were probably sketchier than they are today. I think
>>it's a minor issue - but we could always assume that the Doctor forged any
>>required documentation. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of today's
>>teachers
>>have never met the parents of some of their pupils...
>>

> He might have able to forge something given when he was from.

So what? I can forge things given when I'm from.

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/18/14 6:01 AM
In article <NMvCu.44$Kx5.4@fx28.am4>,
Easier now a day.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/18/14 6:21 AM

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
"Recall about the bit of when she was from." No, apart from "another time",
I don't. What does it tell us about his age?

"He might have able to forge something given when he was from." And I might
be able to forge something too. So what?

"Stephen Wilson" <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <gkcjd9lsmmoo41il0ssp3tbd3s156k7u63@4ax.com>,
>> pudentame  <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:

Nothing to say, Yads?

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/18/14 4:35 PM
In article <O4wCu.384$Kr2.195@fx32.am4>,
Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <NMvCu.44$Kx5.4@fx28.am4>,
>> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
I can forge an identity without the need of papers.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/18/14 10:11 PM
"Stephen Wilson" <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
> "Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in message
>> In article <h3cjd91ubo99hofqe2t0objnc8n3q3nojn@4ax.com>, pudentame
>> <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be common for school records of the day to include some
>>> information about a student's homelife - address & parents' or
>>> guardian's profession.
>>>
>>> I don't expect The Doctor took her down to the school & enrolled her,
>>> but she would have had to fill in the required forms if she self
>>> enrolled.
>>>
>>> The more you look at that whole school thing the shakier it gets,
>>> because the back story would make Susan quite a bit older than
>>> secondary school age.
>
> One theory is that she may well have been older. We don't know Susan's age
> in Time Lord terms, let alone human years. However it has been shown that
> Time Lords live a lot longer than humans, and also age at a slower rate. So
> perhaps by the time they look like a 16 year old human they've been alive
> for many more years than that. But in order to blend in on earth, she was
> given the alias of a 16 year old girl, and attended school in order to avoid
> suspicion (and maybe also to gain knowledge of life on earth and its
> history). In 1963, Carol Ann Ford herself was 23 years old.
>
>> It's easy enough to fake forms and backgrounds, as many news stories
>> will prove.
>
> And in 1963, records were probably sketchier than they are today. I think
> it's a minor issue - but we could always assume that the Doctor forged any
> required documentation. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of today's teachers
> have never met the parents of some of their pupils...

It also seems to suggest that her and her grandfather must have spent at
least one term on earth as she would't be going to school for just for a
few weeks. It must have been boring for her at school apart from learning
the customs of humans. I suspect the Doctor found earth a good hiding place
as he was on the run from the Timelords and as soon as his identity could
be known he travelled in the Tardis to another place.

In the early days of Doctor Who there was a definite aim and that was to
get his companion(s) back to earth which gave the show a better purpose but
that got lost later on.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/18/14 10:11 PM
pudentame <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 14:17:47 GMT, Brian <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> Monsieur Tabernac <mtabernac@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:

>>> BARBARA: Well, I told you how good she is at history. I had a talk with
>>> her and told her she ought to specialise. Well, she seemed quite
>>> interested until I said I'd be willing to work with her at her home. Then
>>> she said that would be absolutely impossible as her grandfather didn't like strangers.
>>>
>>> IAN: He's a doctor, isn't he? That's a bit of a lame excuse.
>>
>> OK I'll just have to accept that Susan must have told Ian and Barbara that
>> her grandfather was a Doctor. Susan would have meant a Doctor of Science
>> but the school teachers assumed that he was a medical doctor.
>
> It would be common for school records of the day to include some
> information about a student's homelife - address & parents' or
> guardian's profession.
>
> I don't expect The Doctor took her down to the school & enrolled her,
> but she would have had to fill in the required forms if she self
> enrolled.
>
> The more you look at that whole school thing the shakier it gets,
> because the back story would make Susan quite a bit older than
> secondary school age.

Maybe she regenerated into a young girl : - )

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/19/14 3:12 AM

> In article <O4wCu.384$Kr2.195@fx32.am4>,
> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>> Easier now a day.
>>
>>"Recall about the bit of when she was from." No, apart from "another
>>time",
>>I don't. What does it tell us about his age?
>>
>>"He might have able to forge something given when he was from." And I
>>might
>>be able to forge something too. So what?
>>

> I can forge an identity without the need of papers.

Hello? Earth calling Yads! Anyone home?

We were talking about Susan Foreman. Coal Hill School. How would you have
forged an identity for a schoolgirl in 1963 "without the need of papers"?

Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/19/14 3:17 AM

>>> It's easy enough to fake forms and backgrounds, as many news stories
>>> will prove.
>>
>> And in 1963, records were probably sketchier than they are today. I think
>> it's a minor issue - but we could always assume that the Doctor forged
>> any
>> required documentation. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of today's
>> teachers
>> have never met the parents of some of their pupils...
>
> It also seems to suggest that her and her grandfather must have spent at
> least one term on earth as she would't be going to school for just for a
> few weeks. It must have been boring for her at school apart from learning
> the customs of humans. I suspect the Doctor found earth a good hiding
> place
> as he was on the run from the Timelords and as soon as his identity could
> be known he travelled in the Tardis to another place.

What makes you suspect that? What the Doctor actually said was tha he and
Susan were "cut off from our own planet, without friends or protection." The
reason he and Susan were on earth was never explicitly explained. What makes
you think he was on the run, or that he needed a place to hide?

> In the early days of Doctor Who there was a definite aim and that was to
> get his companion(s) back to earth which gave the show a better purpose
> but
> that got lost later on.

No - in the early days the Doctor deliberately kidnapped Ian and Barbara. It
took a while before he agreed to try and get them back home.

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/19/14 5:13 AM
In article <180131756411804150.689602bclark-es.co.nz@free.teranews.com>,
>In the early days of Doctor Who there was a definite aim and that was to
>get his companion(s) back to earth which gave the show a better purpose but
>that got lost later on.

In season one, they did reveal they visited Earth earlier.

>--
>Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/19/14 5:15 AM
In article <1081740776411803880.876201bclark-es.co.nz@free.teranews.com>,
>> It would be common for school records of the day to include some
>> information about a student's homelife - address & parents' or
>> guardian's profession.
>>
>> I don't expect The Doctor took her down to the school & enrolled her,
>> but she would have had to fill in the required forms if she self
>> enrolled.
>>
>> The more you look at that whole school thing the shakier it gets,
>> because the back story would make Susan quite a bit older than
>> secondary school age.
>
>Maybe she regenerated into a young girl : - )

Doubtful either or regenerated.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/19/14 5:15 AM
In article <GqOCu.40515$q32.21829@fx07.am4>,
Stephen Wilson <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <O4wCu.384$Kr2.195@fx32.am4>,
>> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>>"Recall about the bit of when she was from." No, apart from "another
>>>time",
>>>I don't. What does it tell us about his age?
>>>
>>>"He might have able to forge something given when he was from." And I
>>>might
>>>be able to forge something too. So what?
>>>

>> I can forge an identity without the need of papers.
>
>Hello? Earth calling Yads! Anyone home?
>
>We were talking about Susan Foreman. Coal Hill School. How would you have
>forged an identity for a schoolgirl in 1963 "without the need of papers"?

How about psychic paper?
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/19/14 5:16 AM
In article <HvOCu.76$956.23@fx10.am4>,
Stephen Wilson <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>>>
>>> And in 1963, records were probably sketchier than they are today. I think
>>> it's a minor issue - but we could always assume that the Doctor forged
>>> any
>>> required documentation. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of today's
>>> teachers
>>> have never met the parents of some of their pupils...
>>
>> It also seems to suggest that her and her grandfather must have spent at
>> least one term on earth as she would't be going to school for just for a
>> few weeks. It must have been boring for her at school apart from learning
>> the customs of humans. I suspect the Doctor found earth a good hiding
>> place
>> as he was on the run from the Timelords and as soon as his identity could
>> be known he travelled in the Tardis to another place.
>
>What makes you suspect that? What the Doctor actually said was tha he and
>Susan were "cut off from our own planet, without friends or protection." The
>reason he and Susan were on earth was never explicitly explained. What makes
>you think he was on the run, or that he needed a place to hide?
>
>> In the early days of Doctor Who there was a definite aim and that was to
>> get his companion(s) back to earth which gave the show a better purpose
>> but
>> that got lost later on.
>
>No - in the early days the Doctor deliberately kidnapped Ian and Barbara. It
>took a while before he agreed to try and get them back home.

Using typical English colonial logic.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/19/14 5:25 AM
What do they need protection from? It was suggested that they stole a
Tardis.

>> In the early days of Doctor Who there was a definite aim and that was to
>> get his companion(s) back to earth which gave the show a better purpose
>> but
>> that got lost later on.
>
> No - in the early days the Doctor deliberately kidnapped Ian and Barbara. It
> took a while before he agreed to try and get them back home.

The point I'm making is that the show had a better purpose.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/19/14 12:16 PM

> In article <GqOCu.40515$q32.21829@fx07.am4>,
> Stephen Wilson <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>> I can forge an identity without the need of papers.
>>
>>Hello? Earth calling Yads! Anyone home?
>>
>>We were talking about Susan Foreman. Coal Hill School. How would you have
>>forged an identity for a schoolgirl in 1963 "without the need of papers"?
>>

> How about psychic paper?

You can forge identities with psychic paper? Wow. And there was me thinking
psychic paper was a fictional device.

Mind you, I always thought that poltergeists and succubuses were fictional -
but as you've personally met them, shows what I know, eh...

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/19/14 12:23 PM
In article <voWCu.1996$E92.357@fx08.am4>,
Well the Gallifreyan seems to possess it in quantities.

>Mind you, I always thought that poltergeists and succubuses were fictional -
>but as you've personally met them, shows what I know, eh...

Get ready to meet a ghost SW.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/19/14 12:17 PM

> In article <HvOCu.76$956.23@fx10.am4>,
> Stephen Wilson <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>"Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message

>>> It also seems to suggest that her and her grandfather must have spent at
>>> least one term on earth as she would't be going to school for just for a
>>> few weeks. It must have been boring for her at school apart from
>>> learning
>>> the customs of humans. I suspect the Doctor found earth a good hiding
>>> place
>>> as he was on the run from the Timelords and as soon as his identity
>>> could
>>> be known he travelled in the Tardis to another place.
>>
>>What makes you suspect that? What the Doctor actually said was tha he and
>>Susan were "cut off from our own planet, without friends or protection."
>>The
>>reason he and Susan were on earth was never explicitly explained. What
>>makes
>>you think he was on the run, or that he needed a place to hide?
>>
>>> In the early days of Doctor Who there was a definite aim and that was to
>>> get his companion(s) back to earth which gave the show a better purpose
>>> but
>>> that got lost later on.
>>
>>No - in the early days the Doctor deliberately kidnapped Ian and Barbara.
>>It
>>took a while before he agreed to try and get them back home.
>>

> Using typical English colonial logic.

0/10

Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/19/14 12:33 PM

> What do they need protection from? It was suggested that they stole a
> Tardis.

Not in 1963 it wasn't. That suggestion came much later. In fact, when he was
finally put on trial in the War Games, the theft of a TARDIS wasn't even
mentioned. He was put on trial for interfering with history and breaking the
laws of time.

>>> In the early days of Doctor Who there was a definite aim and that was to
>>> get his companion(s) back to earth which gave the show a better purpose
>>> but
>>> that got lost later on.
>>
>> No - in the early days the Doctor deliberately kidnapped Ian and Barbara.
>> It
>> took a while before he agreed to try and get them back home.
>
> The point I'm making is that the show had a better purpose.

It was originally meant to be slightly more educational. Other than that,
the show today has exactly the same purpose it had in 1963, i.e. to land the
TARDIS crew in some new time and place, get them involved in some kind of
trouble, and end the story with them resolving the trouble somehow, return
to the TARDIS and do it all over again in the next story.

Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/19/14 12:48 PM

> In article <voWCu.1996$E92.357@fx08.am4>,
> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>> How about psychic paper?
>>
>>You can forge identities with psychic paper? Wow. And there was me
>>thinking
>>psychic paper was a fictional device.
>>

> Well the Gallifreyan seems to possess it in quantities.

So where did you get yours from?

>>Mind you, I always thought that poltergeists and succubuses were
>>fictional -
>>but as you've personally met them, shows what I know, eh...
>>

> Get ready to meet a ghost SW.

Are you sending me one of yours?

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/19/14 1:49 PM
In article <9EWCu.12319$_l1.9634@fx33.am4>,
Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <HvOCu.76$956.23@fx10.am4>,
>> Stephen Wilson <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>"Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message

>>>What makes you suspect that? What the Doctor actually said was tha he and
>>>Susan were "cut off from our own planet, without friends or protection."
>>>The
>>>reason he and Susan were on earth was never explicitly explained. What
>>>makes
>>>you think he was on the run, or that he needed a place to hide?

>>>No - in the early days the Doctor deliberately kidnapped Ian and Barbara.
>>>It
>>>took a while before he agreed to try and get them back home.
>>>

>> Using typical English colonial logic.
>
>0/10

Colonial as awlays SW.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/19/14 1:50 PM
In article <2SWCu.7665$5p6.849@fx25.am4>,
Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <voWCu.1996$E92.357@fx08.am4>,
>> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>>You can forge identities with psychic paper? Wow. And there was me
>>>thinking
>>>psychic paper was a fictional device.
>>>

>> Well the Gallifreyan seems to possess it in quantities.
>
>So where did you get yours from?

The Doctor.

>>>Mind you, I always thought that poltergeists and succubuses were
>>>fictional -
>>>but as you've personally met them, shows what I know, eh...
>>>

>> Get ready to meet a ghost SW.
>
>Are you sending me one of yours?

Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/19/14 2:00 PM

> In article <9EWCu.12319$_l1.9634@fx33.am4>,
> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

I'm not colonial now. I've never been colonial. I was born in this country.
Which country do you believe is my parent country if not this one? And why?

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/19/14 2:07 PM
In article <GUXCu.9704$AP7.4929@fx27.am4>,
Your attitudes are colonial.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/19/14 2:34 PM

"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
Give me one example of an attitude you think I have that is colonial.

Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/19/14 3:44 PM
In article <MoYCu.7667$5p6.3735@fx25.am4>,
You patronising attitude.
Re: Dr. Who's real name pudentame 1/19/14 6:52 PM
On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:14:33 -0000, "Stephen Wilson"
<stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in message
>> In article <h3cjd91ubo99hofqe2t0objnc8n3q3nojn@4ax.com>, pudentame
>> <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> It would be common for school records of the day to include some
>>> information about a student's homelife - address & parents' or
>>> guardian's profession.
>>>
>>> I don't expect The Doctor took her down to the school & enrolled her,
>>> but she would have had to fill in the required forms if she self
>>> enrolled.
>>>
>>> The more you look at that whole school thing the shakier it gets,
>>> because the back story would make Susan quite a bit older than
>>> secondary school age.
>
>One theory is that she may well have been older. We don't know Susan's age
>in Time Lord terms, let alone human years. However it has been shown that
>Time Lords live a lot longer than humans, and also age at a slower rate. So
>perhaps by the time they look like a 16 year old human they've been alive
>for many more years than that. But in order to blend in on earth, she was
>given the alias of a 16 year old girl, and attended school in order to avoid
>suspicion (and maybe also to gain knowledge of life on earth and its
>history). In 1963, Carol Ann Ford herself was 23 years old.

Yeah, but the thing I don't get is WHY would she want to go to the
earth school?

>> It's easy enough to fake forms and backgrounds, as many news stories
>> will prove.
>
>And in 1963, records were probably sketchier than they are today. I think
>it's a minor issue - but we could always assume that the Doctor forged any
>required documentation. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of today's teachers
>have never met the parents of some of their pupils...

I don't think sketchier is quite the word. Perhaps less comprehensive
would be a better term.

But your school record (at least here in the U.S.) would almost
certainly have included parents names, the home address &  emergency
contact information for the parents, including how to get in touch
with them at work. Most women were still stay at home moms, but what
that really means is that they didn't have paying jobs. They didn't
stay at home all the time, they had their churches & civic
organizations to attend to.

And some of them DID have jobs, although it wasn't yet the common
thing.

And while TODAY's teachers may not have met very many of their pupil's
parents, they almost surely met one or both parents in 1963 ...
several times a year. Not as many mothers had to work back then and
they were often involved in the classroom.

The role filled by teacher's aids today was filled by volunteer moms
back then. Fathers seldom interacted with teachers during the school
day, but they made it to the PTA meetings in the evenings.
Re: Dr. Who's real name pudentame 1/19/14 7:08 PM
On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 06:11:07 GMT, Brian <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote:

>"Stephen Wilson" <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> "Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in message

>> One theory is that she may well have been older. We don't know Susan's age
>> in Time Lord terms, let alone human years. However it has been shown that
>> Time Lords live a lot longer than humans, and also age at a slower rate. So
>> perhaps by the time they look like a 16 year old human they've been alive
>> for many more years than that. But in order to blend in on earth, she was
>> given the alias of a 16 year old girl, and attended school in order to avoid
>> suspicion (and maybe also to gain knowledge of life on earth and its
>> history). In 1963, Carol Ann Ford herself was 23 years old.
>>
>>> It's easy enough to fake forms and backgrounds, as many news stories
>>> will prove.
>>
>> And in 1963, records were probably sketchier than they are today. I think
>> it's a minor issue - but we could always assume that the Doctor forged any
>> required documentation. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of today's teachers
>> have never met the parents of some of their pupils...
>
>It also seems to suggest that her and her grandfather must have spent at
>least one term on earth as she would't be going to school for just for a
>few weeks. It must have been boring for her at school apart from learning
>the customs of humans. I suspect the Doctor found earth a good hiding place
>as he was on the run from the Timelords and as soon as his identity could
>be known he travelled in the Tardis to another place.
>
>In the early days of Doctor Who there was a definite aim and that was to
>get his companion(s) back to earth which gave the show a better purpose but
>that got lost later on.

The thing is, it's implied fairly strongly from early on that The
Doctor & Susan have been traveling together for quite some time before
they arrive at Trotters Lane in 1963

1963 is assuming that the first episode is set on earth contemporary
with the original broadcast date.

Which again suggests that Susan is MUCH older than the school girl she
appears to be.  If you try to rationalize why Susan is enrolled in the
local school, it falls apart.

Better to just suspend disbelief & get on with the story.

Re: Dr. Who's real name Your Name 1/19/14 7:45 PM
In article <ct2pd9hnb5lockt7bahhht7ko85jb82ckc@4ax.com>, pudentame
<no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:14:33 -0000, "Stephen Wilson"
> <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >"Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in message

> >One theory is that she may well have been older. We don't know Susan's age
> >in Time Lord terms, let alone human years. However it has been shown that
> >Time Lords live a lot longer than humans, and also age at a slower rate. So
> >perhaps by the time they look like a 16 year old human they've been alive
> >for many more years than that. But in order to blend in on earth, she was
> >given the alias of a 16 year old girl, and attended school in order to avoid
> >suspicion (and maybe also to gain knowledge of life on earth and its
> >history). In 1963, Carol Ann Ford herself was 23 years old.
>
> Yeah, but the thing I don't get is WHY would she want to go to the
> earth school?

Why would a foreign exchange student want to live and go to a school in
South America for six months / a year?

People often do weird things that make no sense to others. Maybe she
simply missed being around people closer to her own age.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/19/14 9:45 PM
"Stephen Wilson" <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> "Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>> "Stephen Wilson" <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> "Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message

>>> What makes you suspect that? What the Doctor actually said was tha he and
>>> Susan were "cut off from our own planet, without friends or protection."
>>> The
>>> reason he and Susan were on earth was never explicitly explained. What
>>> makes
>>> you think he was on the run, or that he needed a place to hide?
>>
>> What do they need protection from? It was suggested that they stole a
>> Tardis.
>
> Not in 1963 it wasn't. That suggestion came much later. In fact, when he was
> finally put on trial in the War Games, the theft of a TARDIS wasn't even
> mentioned. He was put on trial for interfering with history and breaking the
> laws of time.

It was later revealed that the Timelords had control over the Tardis so at
one stage the Doctor (third Doctor) was grounded on earth. But the
Timelords did not control the Tardis of the first Doctor...maybe they
didn't know the Tardis had gone missing.

>>> No - in the early days the Doctor deliberately kidnapped Ian and Barbara.
>>> It
>>> took a while before he agreed to try and get them back home.
>>
>> The point I'm making is that the show had a better purpose.
>
> It was originally meant to be slightly more educational. Other than that,
> the show today has exactly the same purpose it had in 1963, i.e. to land the
> TARDIS crew in some new time and place, get them involved in some kind of
> trouble, and end the story with them resolving the trouble somehow, return
> to the TARDIS and do it all over again in the next story.

Not knowing where the Tardis has landed (or materialized) and the period of
the timeline was one of the best features of Doctor Who. I enjoy mystery.
But that seems to have changed as the Doctor can now land the Tardis where
he wants to.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/20/14 4:07 AM

> In article <MoYCu.7667$5p6.3735@fx25.am4>,
> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>> Your attitudes are colonial.
>>
>>Give me one example of an attitude you think I have that is colonial.
>>

> You patronising attitude.

I expect I am patronising at time - you make it very difficult for anyone
not to be patronising. But just because someone might be patronising towards
you doesn't mean they have "colonial attitudes".

Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/20/14 4:14 AM

> "Stephen Wilson" <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> "Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> What do they need protection from? It was suggested that they stole a
>>> Tardis.
>>
>> Not in 1963 it wasn't. That suggestion came much later. In fact, when he
>> was
>> finally put on trial in the War Games, the theft of a TARDIS wasn't even
>> mentioned. He was put on trial for interfering with history and breaking
>> the
>> laws of time.
>
> It was later revealed that the Timelords had control over the Tardis so at
> one stage the Doctor (third Doctor) was grounded on earth. But the
> Timelords did not control the Tardis of the first Doctor...maybe they
> didn't know the Tardis had gone missing.

>>> The point I'm making is that the show had a better purpose.
>>
>> It was originally meant to be slightly more educational. Other than that,
>> the show today has exactly the same purpose it had in 1963, i.e. to land
>> the
>> TARDIS crew in some new time and place, get them involved in some kind of
>> trouble, and end the story with them resolving the trouble somehow,
>> return
>> to the TARDIS and do it all over again in the next story.
>
> Not knowing where the Tardis has landed (or materialized) and the period
> of
> the timeline was one of the best features of Doctor Who.

It was a feature. Not necessarily "one of the best". You couldn't do it
today even if you wanted to. Back in the 1960s you watched a programme and
would have little idea what was coming up - there were very few "spoilers".
Today it's quite difficult to avoid them.

> I enjoy mystery.
> But that seems to have changed as the Doctor can now land the Tardis where
> he wants to.

Sometimes he lands it where he wants to. Not always. Sherlock Holmes lived
in London. Almost all of his stories were set in London, and no time travel
was involved. Are you saying there was no mystery in any Sherlock Holmes'
stories?

Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/20/14 5:15 AM
Doctor Who and Sherlock Holmes are different people. Basically I'm telling
you what I liked about Doctor Who and my favorite moments was at the start
of a new story when he lands the Tardis but does not know where he is.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/20/14 6:44 AM
pudentame  <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 06:11:07 GMT, Brian <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>In the early days of Doctor Who there was a definite aim and that was to
>>get his companion(s) back to earth which gave the show a better purpose but
>>that got lost later on.
>
>The thing is, it's implied fairly strongly from early on that The
>Doctor & Susan have been traveling together for quite some time before
>they arrive at Trotters Lane in 1963
>
>1963 is assuming that the first episode is set on earth contemporary
>with the original broadcast date.
>
>Which again suggests that Susan is MUCH older than the school girl she
>appears to be.  If you try to rationalize why Susan is enrolled in the
>local school, it falls apart.
>
>Better to just suspend disbelief & get on with the story.

You got that correct.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/20/14 6:45 AM
In article <200120141645522020%YourName@YourISP.com>,
Your Name  <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote:
>In article <ct2pd9hnb5lockt7bahhht7ko85jb82ckc@4ax.com>, pudentame
><no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:14:33 -0000, "Stephen Wilson"
>> <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> >"Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in message

>> >One theory is that she may well have been older. We don't know Susan's age
>> >in Time Lord terms, let alone human years. However it has been shown that
>> >Time Lords live a lot longer than humans, and also age at a slower rate. So
>> >perhaps by the time they look like a 16 year old human they've been alive
>> >for many more years than that. But in order to blend in on earth, she was
>> >given the alias of a 16 year old girl, and attended school in order to avoid
>> >suspicion (and maybe also to gain knowledge of life on earth and its
>> >history). In 1963, Carol Ann Ford herself was 23 years old.
>>
>> Yeah, but the thing I don't get is WHY would she want to go to the
>> earth school?
>
>Why would a foreign exchange student want to live and go to a school in
>South America for six months / a year?
>
>People often do weird things that make no sense to others. Maybe she
>simply missed being around people closer to her own age.

Depends.  Why did the sons of the PRince of Wales did time in South America?
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/20/14 6:46 AM
In article <yj8Du.399$Kr2.84@fx32.am4>,
Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <MoYCu.7667$5p6.3735@fx25.am4>,
>> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>>Give me one example of an attitude you think I have that is colonial.
>>>

>> You patronising attitude.
>
>I expect I am patronising at time - you make it very difficult for anyone
>not to be patronising. But just because someone might be patronising towards
>you doesn't mean they have "colonial attitudes".

Tell that to any non-white Briton.
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/20/14 6:48 AM
In article <1717662261411916401.867860bclark-es.co.nz@free.teranews.com>,
Brian  <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote:
>"Stephen Wilson" <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> "Brian" <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote in message

>>> It was later revealed that the Timelords had control over the Tardis so at
>>> one stage the Doctor (third Doctor) was grounded on earth. But the
>>> Timelords did not control the Tardis of the first Doctor...maybe they
>>> didn't know the Tardis had gone missing.

And British folkloric famous fictional people.

>--
>Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Stephen Wilson 1/20/14 7:55 AM

> In article <yj8Du.399$Kr2.84@fx32.am4>,
> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

>>> You patronising attitude.
>>
>>I expect I am patronising at time - you make it very difficult for anyone
>>not to be patronising. But just because someone might be patronising
>>towards
>>you doesn't mean they have "colonial attitudes".
>>

> Tell that to any non-white Briton.

Non-white Britons are just as capable of being patronising as white Britons,
and frequently are. Do tell patronising non-white Britons that they have
"colonial attitudes" too?

Re: Dr. Who's real name pudentame 1/20/14 11:09 AM
On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 15:55:07 -0000, "Stephen Wilson"
<stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <yj8Du.399$Kr2.84@fx32.am4>,
>> Stephen Wilson <stephen.wils...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>"The Doctor" <doc...@doctor.nl2k.ab.ca> wrote in message

You two really should just GET A ROOM!
Re: Dr. Who's real name pudentame 1/20/14 11:13 AM
On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 16:45:52 +1300, Your Name <YourName@YourISP.com>
wrote:

>In article <ct2pd9hnb5lockt7bahhht7ko85jb82ckc@4ax.com>, pudentame
><no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:14:33 -0000, "Stephen Wilson"
>> <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> >"Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in message

>> >One theory is that she may well have been older. We don't know Susan's age
>> >in Time Lord terms, let alone human years. However it has been shown that
>> >Time Lords live a lot longer than humans, and also age at a slower rate. So
>> >perhaps by the time they look like a 16 year old human they've been alive
>> >for many more years than that. But in order to blend in on earth, she was
>> >given the alias of a 16 year old girl, and attended school in order to avoid
>> >suspicion (and maybe also to gain knowledge of life on earth and its
>> >history). In 1963, Carol Ann Ford herself was 23 years old.
>>
>> Yeah, but the thing I don't get is WHY would she want to go to the
>> earth school?
>
>Why would a foreign exchange student want to live and go to a school in
>South America for six months / a year?
>
>People often do weird things that make no sense to others. Maybe she
>simply missed being around people closer to her own age.

Why would an ADULT foreigner masquerade as an English secondary school
student?
Re: Dr. Who's real name Your Name 1/20/14 12:31 PM
In article <g7tqd9lnmpksuvbn5pv1g8ok6gl74biple@4ax.com>, pudentame
Perhaps to study them for her PhD, or maybe she was a "21 Jump Street"
style undercover timelord.  ;-)

As I said, there's all sorts of reasons people do things, most of which
probably make little or no sense to anyone else. Personally I can't see
a reason why any sane person would want to visit third-world hell holes
in Asia, South America, Middle East, or Africa, and yet millions of
tourists do so every year for "pleasure".
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/20/14 1:46 PM
In article <d0tqd91ba8egmbk74uhrqsiova8jh3dodu@4ax.com>,
pudentame  <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
SW would be in a graveyard the next day if that were to happen.
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/20/14 10:42 PM
pudentame <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>>> It's easy enough to fake forms and backgrounds, as many news stories
>>> will prove.
>>
>> And in 1963, records were probably sketchier than they are today. I think
>> it's a minor issue - but we could always assume that the Doctor forged any
>> required documentation. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of today's teachers
>> have never met the parents of some of their pupils...
>>

> I don't think sketchier is quite the word. Perhaps less comprehensive
> would be a better term.
>
> But your school record (at least here in the U.S.) would almost
> certainly have included parents names, the home address &  emergency
> contact information for the parents, including how to get in touch
> with them at work. Most women were still stay at home moms, but what
> that really means is that they didn't have paying jobs. They didn't
> stay at home all the time, they had their churches & civic
> organizations to attend to.
>
> And some of them DID have jobs, although it wasn't yet the common
> thing.
>
> And while TODAY's teachers may not have met very many of their pupil's
> parents, they almost surely met one or both parents in 1963 ...
> several times a year. Not as many mothers had to work back then and
> they were often involved in the classroom.
>
> The role filled by teacher's aids today was filled by volunteer moms
> back then. Fathers seldom interacted with teachers during the school
> day, but they made it to the PTA meetings in the evenings.

As the school teachers had not meet her grandfather it gave them a reason
to try and find out more by following her home. The main aim was to have
the school teachers traveling in the Tardis during the series. The school
teachers would give facts about historical events that they travel to in
the Tardis. A good way to educate young viewers.

Why a old man has a young girl in a police box may be of concern to viewers
if they had ended the episode at that stage.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name Brian 1/20/14 10:42 PM
pudentame <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 06:11:07 GMT, Brian <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote:
>
>> "Stephen Wilson" <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> "Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in message

>>> One theory is that she may well have been older. We don't know Susan's age
>>> in Time Lord terms, let alone human years. However it has been shown that
>>> Time Lords live a lot longer than humans, and also age at a slower rate. So
>>> perhaps by the time they look like a 16 year old human they've been alive
>>> for many more years than that. But in order to blend in on earth, she was
>>> given the alias of a 16 year old girl, and attended school in order to avoid
>>> suspicion (and maybe also to gain knowledge of life on earth and its
>>> history). In 1963, Carol Ann Ford herself was 23 years old.

>>> And in 1963, records were probably sketchier than they are today. I think
>>> it's a minor issue - but we could always assume that the Doctor forged any
>>> required documentation. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of today's teachers
>>> have never met the parents of some of their pupils...
>>
>> It also seems to suggest that her and her grandfather must have spent at
>> least one term on earth as she would't be going to school for just for a
>> few weeks. It must have been boring for her at school apart from learning
>> the customs of humans. I suspect the Doctor found earth a good hiding place
>> as he was on the run from the Timelords and as soon as his identity could
>> be known he travelled in the Tardis to another place.
>>
>> In the early days of Doctor Who there was a definite aim and that was to
>> get his companion(s) back to earth which gave the show a better purpose but
>> that got lost later on.
>
> The thing is, it's implied fairly strongly from early on that The
> Doctor & Susan have been traveling together for quite some time before
> they arrive at Trotters Lane in 1963
>
> 1963 is assuming that the first episode is set on earth contemporary
> with the original broadcast date.
>
> Which again suggests that Susan is MUCH older than the school girl she
> appears to be.  If you try to rationalize why Susan is enrolled in the
> local school, it falls apart.
>
> Better to just suspend disbelief & get on with the story.

Actually I think it gives a reason for two school teachers to be in the
Tardis. It was meant to be an educational series for children so the school
teachers can give details about some of the historical events that they
travel to.

--
Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/21/14 7:10 AM
Brian  <bcl...@es.co.nz> wrote:
>pudentame <no.one@no.where.invalid> wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:14:33 -0000, "Stephen Wilson"
>> <stephen.w...@nospam.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>

>>> "Your Name" <YourName@YourISP.com> wrote in message

>>> One theory is that she may well have been older. We don't know Susan's age
>>> in Time Lord terms, let alone human years. However it has been shown that
>>> Time Lords live a lot longer than humans, and also age at a slower rate. So
>>> perhaps by the time they look like a 16 year old human they've been alive
>>> for many more years than that. But in order to blend in on earth, she was
>>> given the alias of a 16 year old girl, and attended school in order to avoid
>>> suspicion (and maybe also to gain knowledge of life on earth and its
>>> history). In 1963, Carol Ann Ford herself was 23 years old.
>>>

>> Yeah, but the thing I don't get is WHY would she want to go to the
>> earth school?

>>> And in 1963, records were probably sketchier than they are today. I think
>>> it's a minor issue - but we could always assume that the Doctor forged any
>>> required documentation. It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of today's teachers
>>> have never met the parents of some of their pupils...

If they were not related.

>--
>Regards Brian
Re: Dr. Who's real name The Doctor 1/21/14 7:11 AM

PAthfinders-ish.
More topics »