NERP (Not Exclusively Raspberry Pi) Monday July 30th

Showing 1-6 of 6 messages
NERP (Not Exclusively Raspberry Pi) Monday July 30th Ed Bennett 7/24/12 2:59 PM
The first meeting of the Embedded Systems But Not Exclusively Raspberry Pi
Interest Group (ESBNERPIG or just "NERP") will be Monday July 30th at
7:00pm. Embedded provides a place to look at trends in embedded computing
outside of the basic serial port connected or standalone Arduino. Open
standards, embedded interfacing, industrial systems, 32-bit MCU's,
operating systems, development tools, hardware design, form-factors,
vendors, and the inevitable competitors of the Raspberry Pi are a few
ideas for discussion.

July 30, Jay will start things off with a high-level tour of the Raspberry
Pi* SBC (Single Board Computer). Those who own a Pi and haven't booted it
yet [me], or who've booted their Pi and said "now what?" can watch the
demos and follow along to get started and get ideas for things to try. For
those who've had success with their Pis, we'd especially like to hear from
you and see what you've got.

*From their FAQ: "The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that
plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be
used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets,
word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to
see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming."
Re: NERP (Not Exclusively Raspberry Pi) Monday July 30th Drew Fustini 7/24/12 3:53 PM
Great, I'm looking forward to it.  I've been working on interfacing different I2C devices with the Pi, so I could talk about that a bit.  Also, I covered these topics in demos I've done in the office and I'd be happy to do (if Jay doesn't already cover):

- Booting the recommended Linux image (now Raspbian "Wheezy")
- The raspi-config configuration utility
- Basics of the Linux desktop environment (terminal, web browser, etc)
- Demo of 1080p HD video playback
- Demo of Quake3
- Demo of Scratch (kid's graphical programming enviornment)
- Demo of games written in Python
- Demo of using a GPIO pin to toggle an external LED
- Then I switched from Raspbian to another SD card with Raspbmc (XMBC media center for Raspberry Pi)
- For Raspbmc, I showed how to play a movie file on a USB thumbdrive
- For Raspbmc, I showed how video-on's can be installed to view streaming Internet video like YouTube, Vimeo, etc
- Advanced: using bootc.net's 3.2 kernel, interfacing I2C devices such as a Real-Time Clock and Temperature sensor

Cheers,
Drew
Re: [PS1-Public] NERP (Not Exclusively Raspberry Pi) Monday July 30th Eric Stein 7/24/12 10:19 PM
This appeals to the lazy person who owns a Raspberry Pi in me.

Eric

On 07/24/2012 04:59 PM, Ed Bennett wrote:
> The first meeting of the Embedded Systems But Not Exclusively Raspberry Pi
> Interest Group (ESBNERPIG or just "NERP") will be Monday July 30th at
> 7:00pm. Embedded provides a place to look at trends in embedded computing
> outside of the basic serial port connected or standalone Arduino. Open
> standards, embedded interfacing, industrial systems, 32-bit MCU's,
> operating systems, development tools, hardware design, form-factors,
> vendors, and the inevitable competitors of the Raspberry Pi are a few
> ideas for discussion.
>
> July 30, Jay will start things off with a high-level tour of the Raspberry
> Pi* SBC (Single Board Computer). Those who own a Pi and haven't booted it
> yet [me], or who've booted their Pi and said "now what?" can watch the
> demos and follow along to get started and get ideas for things to try. For
> those who've had success with their Pis, we'd especially like to hear from
> you and see what you've got.
>
> *From their FAQ: "The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that
> plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It�s a capable little PC which can be
> used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets,
> word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to
> see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming."
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/pumping-station-one-public?hl=en.

Re: [PS1-Public] NERP (Not Exclusively Raspberry Pi) followup Drew Fustini 7/31/12 4:27 PM
I really enjoyed NERP last night.  Here's some of the links I referenced:

The clear case I showed was the Pi Box by Adafruit: http://www.adafruit.com/products/859.  Their open source design is on Thingiverse so it may be possible to make one on our laser cutter.

This is the Newark element14 order page (fyi - I work there):  http://www.newark.com/raspberry-pi/raspbrry-pcba/raspberry-pi-model-b-board-only/dp/83T1943.  Reported lead time right now is about 4 weeks.  However production is 4,000 a day.  Ordering now helps to optimize the production volume, and you won't be charged until it ships.

If you have just gotten a Pi, then I recommend visiting the Raspberry Pi Foundation downloads page for instructions on flashing the SD card: http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads.  I recommend using Raspbian "Wheezy" for general purpose and Raspbmc (http://www.raspbmc.com/) for media center.   If you run into issues, then the RaspberryPi.org Forum is a good resource: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/.  If you can't get past a problem, then I'd be happy to help at next NERP meeting (like after the presentations).

The Raspberry Pi group on element14 Community is quite active too and another place to ask questions:  http://www.element14.com/community/groups/raspberry-piI am a developer on this site and also haven written Pi tutorials which can be found under my profile (http://www.element14.com/community/people/fustini) and our Pi blog (http://www.element14.com/community/groups/raspberry-pi?view=blog).

The eLinux wiki has a great troubleshooting guide:  http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting.
Check out the listing of equipment verified to work (and add your own once tested):  http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals.

Arduino IDE runs and uploads ok USB-connected Arduino with Raspbian "Wheezy"; just install via "apt-get install arduino".  For doing electronics directly on the Pi, WiringPi is a Python library which aims to make it as high-level as Arduino: https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/wiringpi/.  If Python isn't appealing, then this eLinux article gives GPIO examples in many languages: http://elinux.org/RPi_Low-level_peripherals

Quake for the current Raspbian "Wheezy" image can be downloaded here: http://www.memetic.org/quake-3-with-sound-for-the-raspberry-pi/.  Other interesting things are the "hello world" programs in /opt/vc/src especially the 1080p HD playback demo: /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/hello_video/.  More details in the webinar Eben Upton did: http://www.element14.com/community/docs/DOC-44459/l/video-programming-the-raspberry-pi-with-raspberry-pi-co-founder-eben-upton

Well, I think I'll stop there.  I've spent many late nights with the Pi and am happy to try to answer any questions.  Looking forward to the next NERP!

Cheers,
Drew

Re: [PS1-Public] NERP (Not Exclusively Raspberry Pi) followup Drew Fustini 7/31/12 4:32 PM
[yikes, all my links were whacky - trying again]

[...]

Re: [PS1-Public] NERP (Not Exclusively Raspberry Pi) followup Drew Fustini 7/31/12 5:36 PM
Hope there's room for more pi as a I forgot a couple items.  Here's an informative post on the media playback architecture:

Libraries, codecs, OSS

This is post would be interesting for those wondering how well it would do as a low-power server:

A Raspberry Pi, hosting... Raspberry Pi