Ubuntu 12.04 release party?

Showing 1-18 of 18 messages
Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Jack David Baucum 3/6/12 7:27 PM
It's David, from the Florida Ubuntu Loco.  As I'm sure y'all know,
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is going to be released next month.
With your blessing I'd like to come over for a visit and hold a
release party with your group.  Please let me know what your thoughts
are on this.
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Ian Barr 3/10/12 5:03 PM
Looks like the 28th is the scheduled release date, that is 11 days
after our regular meeting date.  Should we have a pre-release party at
the April meeting, or a post-release at the May meeting?   If it was a
pre-release party, we could have some beta 2 installs to show off, and
use that to generate some interest in the upcoming release.  OTOH, if
we had the post-release party, we would be handing out actual release
install discs.  Optionally, we could have a special event nearer to
the release date, but would need to find a host and be prepared for an
extra meet that month
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Dan C 3/10/12 8:30 PM
I kinda hate to say this... but.... since 12.04 will still be using the
Unity desktop, it doesn't make any difference to me when the "release
party" is scheduled, if you know what I mean... :-)
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Jack David Baucum 3/11/12 9:54 AM
April 28th sounds great.  If you could post the time and location I'll put it in my planner and see everyone then.
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? oneadvent 3/11/12 9:55 AM
hey i can go to that!

wooohooo, can it be a kubuntu install day too? I hate that thing they did with ubuntu, but I'm happy with Kubuntu and it is about time to wipe out my lappy and reinstall.

Josh
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Jack David Baucum 3/11/12 9:57 AM
I understand.  Unity has caused quite a debate, as has Gnome 3.  As a person who lives and breathes Unity, I have grown to really like it.  I feal like my productive goes down now when I use my Ubuntu 10.04 install on my main home PC.
If you do come, I could show everyone how to work effectively in Unity, showing how it can be used to make computing easier, at least IMO.
Last time I came someone decline to attend in reaction to Ubuntu's inclusion of Mono.  Given that as of this release Ubuntu ships Mono free, I'm wondering if that individual would consider coming this time around.  I don't recall his name.
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? oneadvent 3/11/12 10:01 AM
I'm cool with Mono, had it a few times...j/k

No I don't like Unity because I like different desktops and that kinda merges them together....like sometimes I might want to hide stuff on another desktop...like guests for instance dont need to see my stocks doing poorly, or whatever. Anyway I'm not gonna debate Unity (2 reasons, 1. barely used it. 2. not my place), but when Ubuntu 12.04 is released so is Kubuntu 12.04, so they are both celebrated.

Josh
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Dan C 3/11/12 4:32 PM
I'll do my best to attend, even though the odds of me ever using Unity
are pretty much zero.  I'm not even a Ubuntu user, other than playing
with it occasionally out of curiosity...  There are alternatives to it
(Unity), as I'm sure you know.

The guy you're referring to on that Mono issue was named "Ed", and he is
long gone.

Thanks for taking your time to do this.

>     <mailto:maxolas...@gmail.com>>  wrote:

>     >> It's David, from the Florida Ubuntu Loco.  As I'm sure y'all know,
>     >> Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is going to be released next month.
>     >> With your blessing I'd like to come over for a visit and hold a
>     >> release party with your group.  Please let me know what your
>     thoughts
>     >> are on this.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? SP_Otaku 3/13/12 8:18 AM
I agree on Unity not working well across multiple monitors, but maybe
that will be improved for the new release. Use kde on my desktop and
don't see it being replaced anytime soon, but on my laptop Unity is
the best option in my opinion. I especially like the way it quickly
shuffles around the multiple work spaces. All the animations and
effects are smooth and look nice, and that is with a laptop that is
kind of old and has generic graphics. Am also anxious to see Ubuntu
and Unity running in a TV and on an Android device one day.

On Mar 11, 12:01 pm, Joshua Welch <oneadv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm cool with Mono, had it a few times...j/k
>
> No I don't like Unity because I like different desktops and that kinda
> merges them together....like sometimes I might want to hide stuff on
> another desktop...like guests for instance dont need to see my stocks doing
> poorly, or whatever. Anyway I'm not gonna debate Unity (2 reasons, 1.
> barely used it. 2. not my place), but when Ubuntu 12.04 is released so is
> Kubuntu 12.04, so they are both celebrated.
>
> Josh

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Jack David Baucum 3/14/12 3:39 AM
Multimonitor support is being targeted in 12.04.  At UDS they had a six-monitor setup demonstrating a mockup for how they want Unity work by the 12.04 release.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbwNMnNUGFA--
    Jack David Baucum
    http://maxolasersquad.com
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Jack David Baucum 3/19/12 10:58 AM
I added an event at http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-us-florida/1616/detail/
I assumed it's going to be at O'zone @ 7, like the others.
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Sontek 3/19/12 11:25 AM
We will have to clear that date with O'Zone.   Having parties on Tuesday or Wednesday is no problem for them but on the weekends we have to guarantee we will provide enough people to make up for them dedicating a room to our group instead of allowing their standard customers to come.
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Jack David Baucum 3/19/12 11:46 AM
Thanks John.  Let me know and then I'll update the event at the Ubuntu site.
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? oneadvent 4/19/12 5:20 PM
I'm sorry my schedule changed. I can do it next wednesday, but
otherwise I wont be able to go at all.

On Mar 19, 1:46 pm, Jack David Baucum <maxolasersq...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Thanks John.  Let me know and then I'll update the event at the Ubuntu site.
>

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM, John Anderson <son...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We will have to clear that date with O'Zone.   Having parties on Tuesday
> > or Wednesday is no problem for them but on the weekends we have to
> > guarantee we will provide enough people to make up for them dedicating a
> > room to our group instead of allowing their standard customers to come.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Jack David Baucum 4/19/12 6:32 PM
Has there been any word on the date and time?
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Dan C 4/19/12 8:01 PM
Well, to be honest, it hasn't really been discussed any more than you
see here on this mailing list.

I won't presume to speak for the group as a whole, but in my opinion
there doesn't seem to be any real interest in holding such an event.
The LUG seems to be having some growing pains at the moment and things
are somewhat unorganized...  Unless somebody else steps in here to
disagree, I would recommend that you consider this event to be
non-happening...  As I recall you live quite a ways away from here
(Jax?) and I'd hate to see you come all that way for nothing.

If anyone has a differing opinion on this, *NOW* is the time to speak up...

Thanks.

On 04/19/2012 08:32 PM, Maxo wrote:
> Has there been any word on the date and time?
>
> On Monday, March 19, 2012 2:25:30 PM UTC-4, Sontek wrote:
>
>     We will have to clear that date with O'Zone.   Having parties on
>     Tuesday or Wednesday is no problem for them but on the weekends we
>     have to guarantee we will provide enough people to make up for
>     them dedicating a room to our group instead of allowing their
>     standard customers to come.
>

>     On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Maxo <maxolas...@gmail.com
>     <mailto:maxolas...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         I added an event at
>         http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-us-florida/1616/detail/
>         <http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-us-florida/1616/detail/>
>         I assumed it's going to be at O'zone @ 7, like the others.
>
>         On Sunday, March 11, 2012 12:54:16 PM UTC-4, Maxo wrote:
>
>             April 28th sounds great.  If you could post the time and
>             location I'll put it in my planner and see everyone then.
>
>             On Tuesday, March 6, 2012 10:27:23 PM UTC-5, Maxo wrote:
>
>                 It's David, from the Florida Ubuntu Loco.  As I'm sure
>                 y'all know,
>                 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is going to be released next month.
>                 With your blessing I'd like to come over for a visit
>                 and hold a
>                 release party with your group.  Please let me know
>                 what your thoughts
>                 are on this.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Jack David Baucum 4/20/12 3:36 AM
I see.  I live in Tallahassee.  I don't mind the trip as I have a lot of family in Pensacola that I'd get to visit in the meantime.  However, if things are not together enough right now to have it then perhaps I could come for another release.
Re: Ubuntu 12.04 release party? Sontek 4/20/12 7:05 AM
This is my fault. I'm on a 4 month trip to South America and I was the primary organizer of the group and I didn't set the schedule and let everyone know of the release party before I left so now everything is a little messy because we are trying to get everything more organized while I'm gone.  This release probably isn't going to be good for us because we just didn't prepare that well for it.   But we will definitely do the next one!