Update: Open Government Initiative in Tucson Moves Forward

Showing 1-2 of 2 messages
Update: Open Government Initiative in Tucson Moves Forward Andrew Greenhill 5/23/12 4:43 PM
Thanks again to everyone who expressed their support for Tucson's Open Government Initiative.

I'm happy to report that the Tucson City Council gave unanimous support yesterday for the Mayor's Office's recommendations.  The motion was as follows:

I move that we direct the City Attorney to work with City staff and return in 60 days with the following:

  • Proposed legislation that confirms the City’s commitment to open government principles and to the development of a City webpage where the catalog of open data sets can be accessed and public input on the value of these data sets, requests for other data sets and examples of how citizens are using these data sets is collected.
  • A list of valuable and useful data sets based upon input from Mayor and Council, City Staff and citizens
  • Staff determination of the costs of implementation and recommendations on how best to proceed.
Ian Johnson, my fellow Open Tucson co-founder, made an impressive presentation to the Mayor and Council, and he fielded their questions afterwards.  Ian blogs about the hearing at our Open Tucson website:  www.opentucson.org

Next steps:

1.  Open Tucson, the City, and others will solicit community input to identify high-value data sets we'd like the City to open early on.  Our first meeting will be June 4th, 6:30-8:00pm at Spoke 6 (http://spoke6.com/)

2.  Tucson will host a Code-a-thon this summer in partnership with Startup Tucson, Code For America and others.  Details TBD.

3.  The City of Tucson Mayor & Council will consider the staff recommendations on the Open Government Initiative in approximately 60 days.  I will forward those materials to this group when they are made available--probably within a week of the Council meeting date.

Again, thank you all for your support for a more efficient, transparent and collaborative City of Tucson.  It is definitely, as Code For America founder Jen Pahlka blogged today, "A Good Day For Digital Government" (http://codeforamerica.org/2012/05/23/a-good-day-for-digital-government/)

--Andrew

Re: Update: Open Government Initiative in Tucson Moves Forward Chad Woolley 5/23/12 9:33 PM
Great job, thank you and the others who have worked on this for all your efforts.