nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over?

Showing 1-21 of 21 messages
nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Joel Shapiro 10/12/12 11:32 AM
I feel like this might be a stupid question, but is nowJS somewhere besides the old .com?
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Matthew Baggett 10/12/12 12:01 PM
Looks like the site is just down.
- Matthew Baggett

Add me on Linked In or Twitter!
Or call me: 07541 059 344
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Ian Serlin 10/12/12 12:59 PM
I'm not sure if you guys were aware, but Flotype moved on from nowjs to make bridge, but is now no longer making that either. There is no one actively maintaining the official nowjs codebase.

Ian
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Matthew Baggett 10/12/12 1:27 PM
Oh. Oh dear :(

- Matthew Baggett

Add me on Linked In or Twitter!
Or call me: 07541 059 344

Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Darshan Shankar 10/12/12 5:02 PM
We've been having some issues with AWS for the past few weeks. Some weird billing issues :-)

It's all taken care of now, so our servers should be back up in the next few minutes. Sorry for the downtime!

Darshan--
Darshan Shankar
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? RylandAlmanza 11/10/12 3:27 PM
These were amazing projects. Can anyone recommend an alternative to nowjs that is actively maintained? Without anyone maintaining nowjs, it will eventually be incompatible with newer node versions, right?
Re: nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Jeff Wilde 11/11/12 7:32 PM
Why did the project die?  Were there issues with the project?  Can someone else take over the project?
Re: [NowJS] Re: nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Nate 11/12/12 9:30 AM
The nowjs paradigm of functions that can be called back and forth from server and client is really inspired.

In my experience, the underlying "socket.io" module is not able to scale well (more than 150 connections was a problem for me), so I had to  retreat from using "nowjs" or more specifically, "socket.io" in one of my applications. On the other hand, I have another application that has been running for 9 months now without any problems, but it only handles 2 to 5 connections at a time.

My other observation is that: The magic pocket for variable (across sever and client) is not useful, because it does not have any notification events (ie onUpdate, etc.), so you never know when the magic has occurred.

"An opensource project never has to die" -- R. Stallman
--
--Nate
Re: [NowJS] Re: nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Ian Serlin 11/12/12 11:31 AM

Creating a basic "these are my functions, make them available everywhere" micro-lib could actually be cool. If anyone is interested in doing this together, ping me.

Ian

Ian Serlin
Owner Useful IO LLC
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? falcon 11/14/12 5:54 PM
I've been trying to connect to the website for the past few days, it is still down.
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Darshan Shankar 11/16/12 2:33 AM
I'm no longer maintaining NowJS. I don't have much time to devote to NowJS as I'm working full-time on another startup. I'm sorry to drop the ball on development and bugs! You might want to look at other projects like dnode which are still being actively developed.

Darshan
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Jeff Wilde 11/16/12 11:19 AM
If I or someone else wanted to take of maintenance of NowJS could we?  Are there issues with NowJS that lead you to abandon it or is it just a time constraint?
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Gabriel Petrovay 11/17/12 11:26 AM
Until an alternate page is availalbe/project taken over by somebody else, etc. you can
still find the old page in the web archive: http://web.archive.org

For example, a March copy:

Regards,
Gabriel

PS: I am also interested in taking care/part of the alternate project if you need volunteers. (Unless people strongly recommend other projects like substack's dnode or sock).
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Gabriel Petrovay 11/17/12 11:35 AM
Hi Darshan,

Can you pass over the control to the community? I guess there are plenty that you love to take further part into it. The code is not a problem since people can fork the code. I guess the web page is more important because many go through it to learn about NowJS. The twitter account is also another asset that might be interesting to be migrated together with the project.

But please share us some of the reasons about your retreat besides the fact that you are now dragged into the startup you mentioned. Are there non-obvious, hidden, or difficult issues with the project that people should be aware of. Do you recommend that people migrate to other projects (e.g. dnode, sock)? I also understand the scalability issue with socket.io, but probably there are projects where this doesn't matter.

Please share your experience and let's either completely kill it or move it further!

Thanks!
Gabriel
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Gabriel Petrovay 11/17/12 11:58 AM
A more recent copy of the nowJS website:

Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Velojet 11/17/12 12:46 PM
The code's already been forked by James Keane, who's said that he'll maintain it:

Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Andy Green 12/21/12 4:48 PM
It appears that the fork hasn't been maintained at all in the last 4 months - I wonder if there's a suitable replacement for now.js (which seemed very promising before it was abandoned).
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Andy Green 12/21/12 5:58 PM
What are they doing now if they've abandoned both nowjs and bridge? Is any kind of replacement for nowjs and bridgejs being developed, or is the project entirely defunct now (and lacking a suitable replacement?)
Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Nate 12/21/12 8:00 PM

I know that it is not exactly the same but how about dnode and shoe?

Re: [NowJS] nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? Ian Serlin 12/21/12 10:25 PM
Also pretty different, but you could check out meteor: http://meteor.com/ it is actively developed and venture backed.

Ian
Re: nowjs.com is dead. Is the project over? John Tex 8/18/14 8:45 PM
All, please note that the current version of socket.io does not work with nowjs.  I could not get the hello world example to work until I downrev'd to socket.io@0.9.17 .
Thanks to scriby who pointed this out in his github commit comment:
scriby added some commits on Jan 26, 2013

More topics »