Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase Marcos Ortiz 5/24/12 11:52 AM
Regards to all the list.
We are using Amazon S3 to store millions of files with certain format,
and we want to read the content of these files and then upload its
content to
a HBase cluster.
Anyone has done this?
Can you recommend me a efficient way to do this?

Best wishes.

--
Marcos Luis Ort�z Valmaseda
  Data Engineer&&  Sr. System Administrator at UCI

http://www.uci.cu
http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci
Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase Amandeep Khurana 5/24/12 11:55 AM
Marcos,

You could to a distcp from S3 to HDFS and then do a bulk import into HBase.

Are you running HBase on EC2 or on your own hardware?

-Amandeep

On Thursday, May 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM, Marcos Ortiz wrote:

> Regards to all the list.
> We are using Amazon S3 to store millions of files with certain format,
> and we want to read the content of these files and then upload its
> content to
> a HBase cluster.
> Anyone has done this?
> Can you recommend me a efficient way to do this?
>
> Best wishes.
>
> --
> Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda 5/24/12 12:18 PM
Thanks a lot for your answer, Amandeep.

On 05/24/2012 02:55 PM, Amandeep Khurana wrote:
> Marcos,
>
> You could to a distcp from S3 to HDFS and then do a bulk import into HBase.
The quantity of files are very large, so, we want to combine some files,
and then construct
the HFile to upload to HBase.
Any example of a custom FileMerger for it?

> Are you running HBase on EC2 or on your own hardware?
We have created a small HBase in our own hardware, but we want to build
another cluster on top of Amazon EC2. This
could be very good for the integration between S3 and the HBase cluster.

Regards
Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase Amandeep Khurana 5/24/12 12:21 PM
Marcos

Can you elaborate on your use case a little bit? What is the nature of
data in S3 and why you want to use HBase? Why do you want to combine
HFiles and upload back to S3? It'll help us answer your questions
better.

Amandeep
Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda 5/24/12 12:52 PM

On 05/24/2012 03:21 PM, Amandeep Khurana wrote:
> Marcos
>
> Can you elaborate on your use case a little bit? What is the nature of
> data in S3 and why you want to use HBase? Why do you want to combine
> HFiles and upload back to S3? It'll help us answer your questions
> better.
>
> Amandeep
Ok, let me explain more.
We are working on a ads optimization platform on top of Hadoop and HBase.
Another team of my organization create a type of log file per click by user
and store this file in S3. I discussed with them that a better approach
is to storage this
"workflow" log in HBase, instead S3, because in this way, we can quit
the another step
to read from S3 the content of the file, build the HFile and upload it
to HBase.

The content of the file in S3 is the basic information for the operation:
- Source URL
- User Id
- User agent of the user
- Campaign id
and more fields.

So, we want this to then create MapReduce jobs on top of HBase to some
calculations and reports
for this data.

We are valuating HBase because our current solution is on top of
PostgreSQL, but the main issue is when you
launch a campaign on the platform, the INSERTs and UPDATEs to PostgreSQL
in a short time, could rise from 1 to
100 clicks per second. We did some preliminary tests and in two days,
the table where we store the "workflow"
log grow exponentially to 350, 000 tuples, so, it could be a problem.
For that reason, we want to migrate this to HBase.

But I think that the approach to generate a file in S3 and then upload
to HBase is not the best way to do this; because, you can always
create the workflow log for every user, build a Put for it and upload it
to HBase, and to avoid the locks, I�m valuating to use the asynchronous
API released
by StumbleUpon. [1]

What do you think about this?

[1] https://github.com/stumbleupon/asynchbase

>>> 10mo. ANIVERSARIO DE LA CREACION DE LA UNIVERSIDAD DE LAS CIENCIAS INFORMATICAS...
>>> CONECTADOS AL FUTURO, CONECTADOS A LA REVOLUCION
>>>
>>> http://www.uci.cu
>>> http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/universidad_uci
>>>

>> --
>> Marcos Luis Ort�z Valmaseda
>> Data Engineer&&   Sr. System Administrator at UCI
>> http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com
>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186
>> Twitter: @marcosluis2186
>>

>> 10mo. ANIVERSARIO DE LA CREACION DE LA UNIVERSIDAD DE LAS CIENCIAS INFORMATICAS...
>> CONECTADOS AL FUTURO, CONECTADOS A LA REVOLUCION
>>
>> http://www.uci.cu
>> http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/universidad_uci
>
> http://www.uci.cu

Marcos Luis Ort�z Valmaseda
Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase Amandeep Khurana 5/24/12 1:47 PM
Thanks for that description. I'm not entirely sure why you want to use HBase here. You've got logs coming that you want to process in batch to do calculations on. This can be done by running MR jobs on the flat files itself. You could use Java MR, Hive or Pig to accomplish this. Why do you want HBase here?

-ak

> > > --
> > > Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
> > > Data Engineer&& Sr. System Administrator at UCI
> > > http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com
> > > http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186
> > > Twitter: @marcosluis2186
> > >

> > > 10mo. ANIVERSARIO DE LA CREACION DE LA UNIVERSIDAD DE LAS CIENCIAS INFORMATICAS...
> > > CONECTADOS AL FUTURO, CONECTADOS A LA REVOLUCION
> > >
> > > http://www.uci.cu
> > > http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci
> > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/universidad_uci
> > >

> > 10mo. ANIVERSARIO DE LA CREACION DE LA UNIVERSIDAD DE LAS CIENCIAS INFORMATICAS...
> > CONECTADOS AL FUTURO, CONECTADOS A LA REVOLUCION
> >
> > http://www.uci.cu
> > http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/universidad_uci
> >

> --
> Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda 5/24/12 1:53 PM

On 05/24/2012 04:47 PM, Amandeep Khurana wrote:
> Thanks for that description. I'm not entirely sure why you want to use
> HBase here. You've got logs coming that you want to process in batch
> to do calculations on. This can be done by running MR jobs on the flat
> files itself. You could use Java MR, Hive or Pig to accomplish this.
> Why do you want HBase here?
Tha main reason to use HBase is for the quantity of rows involved in the
process. It could provide a efficient and "quick" way to store all this.
Hive can be an option too.

I will discuss all this again with the dev team.
Thanks a lot for your answers.
Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase Ian Varley 5/24/12 2:12 PM
This is a question I see coming up a lot. Put differently: what characteristics make it useful to use HBase on top of HDFS, as opposed to just flat files in HDFS directly? "Quantity" isn't really an answer, b/c HDFS does fine with quantity (better, even).

The basic answers are that HBase is good if:

a) You want to be able to read random small bits of data in the middle of (large) HDFS files with low latency (i.e. without loading the whole thing from disk)
b) You want to be able to modify (insert) random small bits of data in the middle of (immutable, sorted) HDFS files without writing the whole thing out again each time.

If all you want is a way to quickly store a lot of data, it's hard to beat writing to flat files (only /dev/null/ is faster, but it doesn't support sharding). :) But if you want to then be able to do either (a) or (b) above, that's where you start looking at HBase. I assume in your case, you need sub-second access to single records (or ranges of records) anywhere in the set?

Ian
Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda 5/24/12 3:33 PM

On 05/24/2012 05:12 PM, Ian Varley wrote:
> This is a question I see coming up a lot. Put differently: what characteristics make it useful to use HBase on top of HDFS, as opposed to just flat files in HDFS directly? "Quantity" isn't really an answer, b/c HDFS does fine with quantity (better, even).
>
> The basic answers are that HBase is good if:
>
> a) You want to be able to read random small bits of data in the middle of (large) HDFS files with low latency (i.e. without loading the whole thing from disk)
Yes.
> b) You want to be able to modify (insert) random small bits of data in the middle of (immutable, sorted) HDFS files without writing the whole thing out again each time.
and Yes again.

> If all you want is a way to quickly store a lot of data, it's hard to beat writing to flat files (only /dev/null/ is faster, but it doesn't support sharding). :) But if you want to then be able to do either (a) or (b) above, that's where you start looking at HBase. I assume in your case, you need sub-second access to single records (or ranges of records) anywhere in the set?
We want to use HBase because we think that's perfect for our requirements.

>> --
>> Marcos Luis Ort�z Valmaseda
>>   Data Engineer&&   Sr. System Administrator at UCI
>>   http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com
>>   http://www.linkedin.com/in/marcosluis2186
>>   Twitter: @marcosluis2186
>>

>> 10mo. ANIVERSARIO DE LA CREACION DE LA UNIVERSIDAD DE LAS CIENCIAS INFORMATICAS...
>> CONECTADOS AL FUTURO, CONECTADOS A LA REVOLUCION
>>
>> http://www.uci.cu
>> http://www.facebook.com/universidad.uci
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/universidad_uci

> http://www.uci.cu

Marcos Luis Ort�z Valmaseda
Re: Efficient way to read a large number of files in S3 and upload their content to HBase Marcos Ortiz Valmaseda 5/30/12 8:56 AM
Like I said before, I need to store all click streams of a advertising network to do later deep analysis for this huge data.
We want to store in two places:
- first to Amazon S3
- then to HBase

But I think that wen don't need S3 if we can store in a proper HBase cluster using the asynchbase library from StumbleUpon, and then we can create some MapReduce's jobs for analysis.

What do you think?

Regards