You're not crazy - the browser really is gone.

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
You're not crazy - the browser really is gone. Dietrich Ayala 2/5/14 3:45 PM
... as a standalone application, that is.

After trying to figure this "bug" out yesterday for a few hours, and then getting asked about it a few times today by people saying "have you built recently? can i see your phone?"...

And then having to summarize the vision of Haida as fast as possible for them while their face scrunches up trying to go from "broken" to "awesome vision of a beautiful future" with me...

A few things:

* We need to get Josh up on Air Mozilla to do his presentation. Maybe at the Project Meeting? Or the MoCo meeting? Something with mass exposure in the Mozillian community.

* When you make major changes, please list them all out clearly and explicitly and send to all the lists. The rocketbar email only said "hello rocketbar", not "goodbye browser". This resulted in extreme confusion - especially for platform devs who don't follow Gaia dev closely. Imagine if you'd never even heard of Haida how confusing this would be...

* When you land major changes, ensure the defaults are sane and at least basically functional. I know we need early testing on new features on master - I'm 100% for doing that. But we need to do it in a way that reduces the friction on people trying to get stuff done.

* Timing is everything. Removing the browser at the same time that many people are trying to fix and test 1.3 bugs (using the build defaults) is unfortunate.

* There's a middle ground being worked out in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=967994, until Rocketbar is functional enough to be the default!

* If you find bugs, report them and make dependent on the system browser metabug (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=945259) or the rocket search metabug (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=rocketbar-mvp).

Thanks!

-d
Re: You're not crazy - the browser really is gone. Rafael Rebolleda 2/6/14 12:49 AM
>
> * We need to get Josh up on Air Mozilla to do his presentation. Maybe at
> the Project Meeting? Or the MoCo meeting? Something with mass exposure in
> the Mozillian community.
>

And partners. There is a GREAT lack of knowledge all around, and this kind
of communication has been due for a long time.
Re: You're not crazy - the browser really is gone. Francis Djabri 2/6/14 11:08 AM

FYI, the latest Rocket bar spec (version 0.8) is available on Box at: https://mozilla.box.com/s/m2fomed0t1naegxg7h6t

This should hopefully give a better idea of what is being planned on how to integrate the Browser into the System for the 1.4 release.  Please note, however, that the spec is not complete and is currently being rapidly iterated this week during the Systems Front End work week.

The spec certainly does not preclude having a "Browser" icon on the home screen that takes the user to a familiar browsing experience. The main implications are:

the Rocket bar should be accessible from anywhere
individual browser tabs become windows that can be managed from the Task manager

Thanks,

Francis
___________
Francis Djabri
UX Designer - Firefox OS
IRC - djabber

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dietrich Ayala" <auto...@gmail.com>
> To: dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
> Sent: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 3:45:17 PM
> Subject: You're not crazy - the browser really is gone.
>
> ... as a standalone application, that is.
>
> After trying to figure this "bug" out yesterday for a few hours, and then getting asked about it a few times today by people saying "have you built recently? can i see your phone?"...
>
> And then having to summarize the vision of Haida as fast as possible for them while their face scrunches up trying to go from "broken" to "awesome vision of a beautiful future" with me...
>
> A few things:
>
> * We need to get Josh up on Air Mozilla to do his presentation. Maybe at the Project Meeting? Or the MoCo meeting? Something with mass exposure in the Mozillian community.
>
> * When you make major changes, please list them all out clearly and explicitly and send to all the lists. The rocketbar email only said "hello rocketbar", not "goodbye browser". This resulted in extreme confusion - especially for platform devs who don't follow Gaia dev closely. Imagine if you'd never even heard of Haida how confusing this would be...
>
> * When you land major changes, ensure the defaults are sane and at least basically functional. I know we need early testing on new features on master - I'm 100% for doing that. But we need to do it in a way that reduces the friction on people trying to get stuff done.
>
> * Timing is everything. Removing the browser at the same time that many people are trying to fix and test 1.3 bugs (using the build defaults) is unfortunate.
>
> * There's a middle ground being worked out in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=967994, until Rocketbar is functional enough to be the default!
>
> * If you find bugs, report them and make dependent on the system browser metabug (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=945259) or the rocket search metabug (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=rocketbar-mvp).
>
> Thanks!
>
> -d
> _______________________________________________
> dev-gaia mailing list
> dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-gaia
Re: You're not crazy - the browser really is gone. Francis Djabri 2/6/14 11:19 AM


CORRECTION:

Sorry, wrong link - the latest Rocket bar spec is available at:

https://mozilla.box.com/s/v81wwi4xrnfkniin0pn9
Re: You're not crazy - the browser really is gone. Kevin Grandon 2/6/14 1:02 PM
Thanks Francis. In the meantime to make the transition easier, we're taking several steps here.

Bug 967994 - This will add the browser icon back by default. It will also allow you to fully enable or disable the rocketbar with build flags.

We're also working on URL entry/editing, and stylizing the top bar. This should land within the next week or two, so stay tuned!

Best,
Kevin
Re: You're not crazy - the browser really is gone. Axel Hecht 2/6/14 3:33 PM
Hi,

could you detail on what's "tabbed browsing" in the new world?

Axel
Re: You're not crazy - the browser really is gone. Fabrice Desré 2/6/14 3:38 PM
On 02/06/2014 03:33 PM, Axel Hecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> could you detail on what's "tabbed browsing" in the new world?

Just multiple sheets of browser view. Having two levels of containers
was really not great (apps, and then tabs in the browser app), so I'm
super happy with this change!

        Fabrice
--
Fabrice Desré
b2g team
Mozilla Corporation
Re: You're not crazy - the browser really is gone. Josh Carpenter 2/6/14 4:19 PM
All web content is created equal, from site to hosted app to packaged app. Firefox OS treats each equally, within one unified, optimized experience. This is going to be the year we build the mobile OS we've always wanted, based on the inherent strengths of the web. :)

_
Josh Carpenter
UX Lead, Firefox OS
Mozilla
Re: You're not crazy - the browser really is gone. Asa Dotzler 2/6/14 4:33 PM
On 2/6/14, 4:19 PM, Josh Carpenter wrote:
> This is going to be the year we build the mobile OS we've always
> wanted, based on the inherent strengths of the web.:)


\o/


- A
Re: You're not crazy - the browser really is gone. Dietrich Ayala 2/6/14 5:33 PM
Hell to the yes.

But it's only going to happen if all of us are aware of and understand
that vision.

When can you do a presentation on Air Mozilla? :D