What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at?

Showing 1-19 of 19 messages
What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? Misha 6/11/12 6:32 AM
I am getting pretty good prints at around 30mm/sec, but have not tried to push it any higher than 40 because I needed to quickly crank out some nice looking demo pieces.  Now that I have something to show off I want to push my printer to it's max ability.

So what kinds of speeds/accelartion do you have set that still gives you good prints?

I'm printing with PLA on RAMPS 1.4 running Marling.

Thanks!
What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? NCBob 6/11/12 6:35 AM
For high quality prints I'm running 60-75, everything else I run at 100

On my Prusa it took me a while to tweak it to get it printing really good, my mendelmax has required very few tweaks right off the line.

Re: What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? Joseph Bekedam 6/11/12 9:20 AM
My normal, medium to medium-high quality settings for Slic3r:
Perimeters: 65mm/s, Infill: 75mm/s
Acceleration: 1500mm/s
Infill:0.15 - 0.25
Retraction: 1mm @30mm/s
Walls: 2-3
Layer Height: 0.2mm
Hot-End Temp: 185-195 degrees depending on the filament/supplier (MakerGear Hot-End, 0.5 mm hole)

If a piece tapers off to a point, I have to cut back to ~30-40mm/s perimeters and infill, or else the top ends up being a melted, saggy blob.

I don't really see any major increase in quality below 65mm/s perimeters unless I drop down below 30mm/s.
Re: What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? Misha 6/11/12 9:51 AM
Thanks, I'll have to try to turn up the speed tonight on a simple object and see how it turns out.
Re: [MendelMax] Re: What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? Ross Shannon Fort Collins CO 6/17/12 7:20 PM

What material? What temp? I've been printing PLA at similar speeds but found the extruder temp had to be raised to 200+ to get a good infill - honeycomb.  I print the first layer lower and slower.

Best regards,

Ross Shannon

Re: What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? Misha 6/18/12 6:47 AM
Wowza, did you added any mechanical updates to get these kind of speeds or just firmware tinkering?
Re: [MendelMax] Re: What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? bilsef 6/18/12 2:15 PM
Ezra,

Can you post your configuration.h file, or at least the speed and acceleration portions?

Thanks,
--Bill

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Misha <mbt...@gmail.com> wrote:
Wowza, did you added any mechanical updates to get these kind of speeds or just firmware tinkering?

Re: What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? Misha 6/24/12 6:50 AM
Thanks for the follow-up.  I have a fan attached to the extruder so I don't have the problem with slumping.  In fact I'm starting to think that I'm cooling too fast which causes it's own problems.
Re: What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? NCBob 6/24/12 9:59 AM
Ever since slic3r added dynamic cooling I haven't had any issues with slumping, even with PLA.
Re: [MendelMax] What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? tdeyle 7/18/12 1:34 PM
Ezra;

Where on the thingiverse page is the firmware located?
Re: [MendelMax] What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? Charles Steinkuehler 7/18/12 1:40 PM
On 7/18/2012 3:34 PM, Theo Deyle wrote:
> Ezra;
>
> Where on the thingiverse page is the firmware located?

I don't think there's firmware listed for MendelMax on thingiverse, but
a while back (6/20) Mike Payson posted the preconfigured Marlin firmware
for MendelMax can be found on github:

https://github.com/maxbots/Marlin

--
Charles Steinkuehler
Re: [MendelMax] What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? tdeyle 7/18/12 1:52 PM

With these speed settings, do you have the Extrusion Width Ratio under the Advanced Menu set to auto (0)? Or are you giving Slic3r values for these widths?

Theo
Re: [MendelMax] Re: What kinds of speeds are you guys printing at? Larry Knopp, aka - [NM] Buzzard 8/16/12 5:11 AM
MK-IVB J-head?