email sending services

Showing 21-41 of 41 messages
email sending services reemy 4/30/11 2:42 PM
Hello,

Does anyone have experience  emailing your customers using services
from one of the 4 following companies?
- SendGrid
- GoogleAppls
- AuthSMTP
- SMTP.com

Any strong opinions on using your own domain name when you email
users?

The basic trade-off is free/cheap services using sendgrid's domain
name, but with good analytical tools, vs. basic SMTP emailing
capabilities with limited analysis but our own domain name, with
AuthSMTP. (SMTP.com does not seem to have anything special to
recommend them, so they are out).
Google I am unsure about. Apart from search, I have been underwhelmed
by their products.

My startup, HelpAroundTown.com is hosted at EngineYard. We connect
people looking for help around the house or yard with neighbors
seeking odd jobs. The ability for users to message each other within
our system is part of connecting users. It turns out EngineYard does
not support email services (because "because the entire EC2 IP space
is black-listed by many spam services.")
They refer users instead to the above companies.

I've developed a little spreadsheet comparing the offerings at the low
levels of usage we can expect at launch (MVP due next week). Let me
know if you are interested and I will email  you the spreadsheet.

Thank you,
reem
Re: [lsc] email sending services Gaurav Sharma 4/30/11 4:19 PM
I have only used SendGrid. Setting up SendGrid is a breeze by simply replacing the SMTP credentials. I don't see AWS SES in your list, might want to check it out.

--
Hire the world's best engineers through TopTal. Full or Part-time. http://bit.ly/TopTal

http://about.me/gsharma
RE: [lsc] email sending services Max H. 4/30/11 5:22 PM
I've used GoogleApps and AuthSMTP before.

GoogleApps is mostly for applications hosted on it and requires you to send
through their mail server and have very strict restrictions on the From
address.  I wouldn't use it just for sending email.

AuthSMTP is pretty reliable.  Other than the fact that they give you cryptic
credentials to setup with, it's pretty reliable.

Hope that helps.

-Max

Hello,

Thank you,
reem

--

Hire the world's best engineers through TopTal. Full or Part-time.
http://bit.ly/TopTal

Re: [lsc] email sending services Dan Croak 4/30/11 6:11 PM
Sendgrid is awesome. Highly recommended. Away from my computer to confirm but pretty sure you can use your own domain name with it.

Used to use AuthSMTP but fell out of favor. Complicated, anecdotally Sendgrid's had better deliverability for us and much easier to manage.

I also recommend Amazon SES. We calculated we'd save about $10,000 in 2011 switching from Sendgrid to SES. Still haven't switched (loyal to the service that got us where we are, still a few more features), but a switch is still on the table.

http://robots.thoughtbot.com/post/3105121049/delivering-email-with-amazon-ses-in-a-rails-3-app
Re: [lsc] email sending services Catherine MacDonald 5/1/11 1:12 AM
I'd be very interesting in hearing about others' experience with deliverability with SES as compared to Sendgrid or any of the other alternatives. Great conversation!

Catherine
============================
Catherine MacDonald
Phone:  (914) 595-5988
Skype:  catherinemacdonald1
My LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/catherinemacdonald
Re: [lsc] email sending services Kamal Hussain 5/1/11 3:31 PM
I think there are leaner approaches to send emails. How about using an EC2 micro instance with postfix and PHPList? The cost would be practically zero. The EC2 instances are blacklisted but you can get them removed by making a request to Amazon. You can also decrease the likelihood of emails being labelled as "spam" by creating an SPF entry.

Regards,
Kamal

I'd be very interesting in hearing about others' experience with deliverability with SES as compared to Sendgrid or any of the other alternatives. Great conversation!

Catherine
============================
Catherine MacDonald
Phone:  (914) 595-5988
Skype:  catherinemacdonald1
My LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/catherinemacdonald

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 10:04 AM, rajan chandi <chandi.rajan@gmail.com> wrote:
+1 for SES.

We are using SES - There are some issues around sending attachments though!

Best
Rajan

On 5/1/11, Dan Croak <dcroak@thoughtbot.com> wrote:
> Sendgrid is awesome. Highly recommended. Away from my computer to confirm
> but pretty sure you can use your own domain name with it.
>
> Used to use AuthSMTP but fell out of favor. Complicated, anecdotally
> Sendgrid's had better deliverability for us and much easier to manage.
>
> I also recommend Amazon SES. We calculated we'd save about $10,000 in 2011
> switching from Sendgrid to SES. Still haven't switched (loyal to the service
> that got us where we are, still a few more features), but a switch is still
> on the table.
>
> http://robots.thoughtbot.com/post/3105121049/delivering-email-with-amazon-ses-in-a-rails-3-app
>
> On Apr 30, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Gaurav Sharma <gsharma@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have only used SendGrid. Setting up SendGrid is a breeze by simply
>> replacing the SMTP credentials. I don't see AWS SES in your list, might
>> want to check it out.

Re: [lsc] email sending services Dan Croak 5/1/11 8:50 PM
Kamal, I respectfully disagree.

The time it takes to research DKIM, SPF, ISP rate limits, content inspection, bounces and spam reports, let alone implement a solution from scratch, is more costly than the price of using a service like Sendgrid or SES for many months for most startups.
Re: [lsc] email sending services Gary Benitt 5/2/11 9:26 AM
Another one that's not on your list that is very slick and easy to use is postmarkapp.com - by the makers of beanstalkapp.com.  I highly recommend it for simplicity, usability (great interface for seeing what happened to your emails, tagging, metrics, etc.) and deliverability...

--
Hire the world's best engineers through TopTal. Full or Part-time. http://bit.ly/TopTal

Re: [lsc] email sending services John A. De Goes 5/2/11 10:20 AM

You can and should be using SendGrid. Don't waste your time on peripheral issues like SMTP emailing -- focus on your core value proposition and outsource everything else.

It's easy to use SendGrid with your own domain name. They can help you set it up if you like.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
Twitter: @jdegoes
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/jdegoes
Re: email sending services reemy 5/2/11 8:58 PM
Thank you all for your answers.   Elizabeth at LaunchBit also offered
great help & advice.

Thank you for recommending Postmark, Gary. I checked it out and it
sounds PERFECT for our need to build a solid internal messaging system
- the type of transactional emails Postmark is designed for. At $1.50
per 1,000 emails, I can't wait till we hit the $3 mark!
Postmark's blog has a good entry on bulk vs. transactional email:
http://blog.postmarkapp.com/

MailChimp is still the most recommended for bulk marketing campaigns -
although newsberry (from Wildbit, which also offers Postmark) seems
cheaper. Any experience with newsberry?

Many thanks,
reem

Reem Yared
Founder,
www.HelpAroundTown.com

On May 2, 12:26 pm, Gary Benitt <garyben...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another one that's not on your list that is very slick and easy to use is
> postmarkapp.com - by the makers of beanstalkapp.com.  I highly recommend it
> for simplicity, usability (great interface for seeing what happened to your
> emails, tagging, metrics, etc.) and deliverability...

Re: [lsc] Re: email sending services Cooper Marcus 5/3/11 9:02 AM
I'm having great luck with Postmark and recommend it highly

Note that MailChimp, while typically considered an ESP (Email Service Provider, the generic term for email marketing platforms), they recently announced a transactional email service, which sits on top of Amazon SES http://blog.mailchimp.com/mailchimp-launches-transactional-email-service-on-top-of-amazon-ses/

Cheers, Cooper

Re: [lsc] email sending services Tomas Janovsky 5/2/11 4:23 PM
I feel that this is not exactly issue for this discussion, but anyway.

If you are going to use your own domain, you need to setup PTR record
for your domain (only ISP provider can do it). It probably depends on
your balance between money and human resources, but we rolled up our
own SMTP server installation, had to ask our ISP to setup PTR and open
firewall, it took few quirks to setup the smtp right (things like
matching hostname of the SMTP server to the domain name). It took
about a day in total and certainly paid back in last one and half year
of sending emails. I'm checking the logs sometimes, searching for
error codes and known responses from the mail servers, issues are very
rare.

I agree that it's a peripheral issue and you should concentrate on the
core values, but also the cash is very valuable for early stage (or
pre-funding) startup.

And a little advice, I'm sure your developers are aware of it, but I
strongly recommend putting one layer between your application and the
actual smtp server. You absolutely don't want to send emails
synchronously in the client's HTTP request (takes time and kills the
user experience), and having permanent storage with mail data and
central repository for templates helps with maintenance, easy mass
mailing etc.. I'm generating new mails by inserting mail data (xml) in
separate (fire-forget) thread into the db table, and then service
picks them up from the db, applies the template and sends them to the
smtp server.

Regards
Tomas

Re: email sending services Avalanchaa 5/3/11 10:00 PM

Can you tell us more about how to set up Amazon SES? Would it be
possible to use PHP List? ? I can see the cost is "Email messages are
charged at $0.10 per thousand." and data transfers in should be
minimum because marketing campaigns are not heavy messages. Where can
I find more information about this? I think it will worth the cost
compared to having a recurrent monthly payment on mailchimp (which is
one of the best solutions).

Johnatas

On May 2, 12:55 am, rajan chandi <chandi.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Amazon SES is a better way to go, if you're not spamming people!
>
> Best
> Rajan
>

> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 9:20 AM, Dan Croak <dcr...@thoughtbot.com> wrote:
> > Kamal, I respectfully disagree.
>
> > The time it takes to research DKIM, SPF, ISP rate limits, content
> > inspection, bounces and spam reports, let alone implement a solution from
> > scratch, is more costly than the price of using a service like Sendgrid or
> > SES for many months for most startups.
>
> > On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 6:31 PM, Kamal Hussain <kamalhus...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> >> I think there are leaner approaches to send emails. How about using an EC2
> >> micro instance with postfix and PHPList? The cost would be practically zero.
> >> The EC2 instances are blacklisted but you can get them removed by making a
> >> request to Amazon. You can also decrease the likelihood of emails being
> >> labelled as "spam" by creating an SPF entry.
>
> >> Regards,
> >> Kamal

Re: email sending services Avalanchaa 5/4/11 7:00 AM

Can you tell us more about how to set up Amazon EC2 with SES + Php
list? what is the benefit compared to having only PHP installed in a
hosting server?

On May 1, 6:31 pm, Kamal Hussain <kamalhus...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think there are leaner approaches to send emails. How about using an EC2 micro instance with postfix and PHPList? The cost would be practically zero. The EC2 instances are blacklisted but you can get them removed by making a request to Amazon. You can also decrease the likelihood of emails being labelled as "spam" by creating an SPF entry.
>
> Regards,
> Kamal

Re: [lsc] Re: email sending services Michael Kimsal 5/4/11 9:55 AM
I can recommend critsend.com - had very good service from them over the last year.  Pricing starts at $0.50 per thousand and goes down from there.  It's not as low as Amazon's pricing, but it's 'pay as you go' as well (well, you buy credits ahead of time, and they're good for 3 years).

--
Michael Kimsal
http://jsmag.com - for javascript developers

While we’re on the subject of email sending services, does anyone know of a more comprehensive service that not just focus on having send email capability  but also receiving email API as well?

For example, I like to be able to assign callback functions to programmatically process email, depending on what email addresses it was sent to or just create email addresses on-the-fly.

The only one I found is emailyak.com.  Is there other ones?

Thanks in advance,

-Max

From: lean-star...@googlegroups.com [mailto:lean-startup-circle@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of rajan chandi