What are WEB-INF\deploy\<module>\symbolMaps and rpcPolicyManifest directories?

Showing 1-7 of 7 messages
What are WEB-INF\deploy\<module>\symbolMaps and rpcPolicyManifest directories? anatoliy 4/5/11 9:01 AM
What are WEB-INF\deploy\<module>\symbolMaps and rpcPolicyManifest
directories?

I found that GWT compiler creates those after each compilation. Total
size of these dirs is now over 150MB for my three modules and this
prevents me to upload the application to App Engine.

Do you know what's purpose of this content? I cannot see any real use
for symbol maps in production application. Especially, I found them to
contain absolute local file paths to source files. Is it possible to
switch this option off?

I noticed this behaviour after upgrading to GWT 2.2, unfortunately I
didn't notice if GWT 2.1 compiler does the same.

Thanks,
  Anatoliy
Re: What are WEB-INF\deploy\<module>\symbolMaps and rpcPolicyManifest directories? Juan Pablo Gardella 4/5/11 11:55 AM
+1 on this

2011/4/5 anatoliy <anatoliy....@gmail.com>

Re: What are WEB-INF\deploy\<module>\symbolMaps and rpcPolicyManifest directories? Thomas Broyer 4/5/11 1:39 PM

On Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:01:00 PM UTC+2, anatoliy wrote:
What are WEB-INF\deploy\<module>\symbolMaps and rpcPolicyManifest
directories?

I found that GWT compiler creates those after each compilation. Total
size of these dirs is now over 150MB for my three modules and this
prevents me to upload the application to App Engine.

Do you know what's purpose of this content? I cannot see any real use
for symbol maps in production application. Especially, I found them to
contain absolute local file paths to source files.

AFAICT this is to be able to deobfuscate stack traces. Starting with GWT 2.2 (or was it 2.1.1?) you no longer need the -extra param for these (there are now 3 kinds of artifacts: public (put in the "war"), deploy (put in WEB-INF/deploy) and private (put in -extra, if passed)).

Is it possible to
switch this option off?

I don't think so, but you can pass the -deploy argument to output them somewhere else (the doc says you can give -deploy the same value as -extra)
Re: What are WEB-INF\deploy\<module>\symbolMaps and rpcPolicyManifest directories? targumon 6/27/11 4:38 AM
Faced the same issue.
My project is built using Maven and the solution (workaround?) is through its configuration.
I assume there are equivalent configurations for Ant and whatnot.

<plugin>
<configuration>
 <packagingExcludes>
WEB-INF/deploy/**
[ , anyOtherResourceToExclude ]
</packagingExcludes>
</configuration>
</plugin>
Re: What are WEB-INF\deploy\<module>\symbolMaps and rpcPolicyManifest directories? cbauer 7/23/11 3:04 AM
Or instead you can just compile these unneeded artifacts outside of
your target WAR:

                <plugin>
                    <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
                    <artifactId>gwt-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                    <version>${gwt-maven-plugin-version}</version>
                    <configuration>
                        <!--
                            Can't disable these unneeded artifacts, so
compile
                            them outside of the target WAR
                         -->
                        <deploy>${project.build.directory}/gwt-deploy</
deploy>
                    </configuration>
                </plugin>
Re: What are WEB-INF\deploy\<module>\symbolMaps and rpcPolicyManifest directories? maticpetek 7/23/11 4:46 AM
Or ignore in ANT build :

<target name="war" depends="build" description="Create a war file">
<zip destfile="${war.name}">
<fileset dir="war">
<exclude name="WEB-INF/deploy/**"/>
</fileset>
</zip>
</target>

Regards,
   Matic
GWT stuff twitter  - http://twitter.com/#!/gwtstuff
Re: What are WEB-INF\deploy\<module>\symbolMaps and rpcPolicyManifest directories? Jaroslav Záruba 3/11/12 4:41 PM
I wish GPE plugin handled this. The compiler parameters get lost way too easily from "Compile project" dialog window. :(