Clarification: 404 errors and spam control

Showing 1-91 of 91 messages
Clarification: 404 errors and spam control Muthu Muthusrinivasan 1/10/11 1:55 PM
Hi all,

To address the recent complaints/comments on this forum about
increasing 404 errors for goo.gl short URLs, we thought we could
provide some clarification.

- We are fairly aggressive in tackling spam and related security
issues on the goo.gl domain, given the fact that users are not aware
of the long URL destination in advance in most cases.

- Our spam detection algorithms are automated, and routinely disable
suspicious goo.gl short URLs. We understand that our algorithms are
not perfect and are continually working on refining them.

- We have thus far displayed all "disabled" goo.gl short URLs as 404
errors. However, to avoid confusion and to provide greater insight
into this process, we plan to start displaying more informative error
pages instead of generic 404 errors. These changes will roll out quite
soon.

We (on the team) do read this list regularly, and really appreciate
your feedback!

Regards,
Google URL Shortener Team
Re: [google-url-shortener] Clarification: 404 errors and spam control John McIlwraith 1/10/11 2:19 PM
Thanks and that is what I have been telling folks.

Question re the algorithms, if an email is marked as spam in a gmail account and contains a goo.gl url does the URL get flagged as a spam URL? If so how many until it is considered spam and what factors go into qualifying what is spammy?

Thanks,

John--
:S.-John: of the McILwraith family
FREE - Accept credit cards payments online today!

Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control cosmitec 1/21/11 9:01 AM
Thank you for the clarification.

Today I sent a newsletter out to about 1900 subscribers. It looks like
I even cannot link to my own web pages as Google has disabled the
links for spam, security or legal reasons. Even linking to my own web
site is considered spam, insezcure or illegal??

For example:
http://goo.gl/TrDpT
http://goo.gl/NMiwo
http://goo.gl/aDEn

I'm just confused. In fact, I just noticed ALL the links are disabled
in my newsletter (for the 1st time).

Luc
Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control cosmitec 1/23/11 3:31 AM
I noticed the 3 URLs I mentioned are enabled again. Thanks so much.

It looks like 3 other links that I always use in my monthly
newsletters are still disabled for the same reason. They link to my
contact pages on my web site and to my Facebook business page.
http://goo.gl/FdU0
http://goo.gl/XAZD
http://goo.gl/VMnf

So, people cannot contact me anymore through my newsletters and have
to surf to my web site and fill out the contact form.

Anyway, I never thought I would really need a URL shortener. I don't
like these crazy little links that raise suspicion because you don't
know what's behind it.

But who's to blame?

When posting long URLs in e-mails (like in newsletters) the links are
broken in most e-mail clients (especially e-mails in txt format). And
people who try to click a broken link almost always think that the
link is wrong or dead or...

And that's the real issue that should be fixed: making sure that even
the longest URLs/links are clickable and are not broken in e-mail
clients. That's what I want instead of a URL shortener. It would be so
much more transparant too so that anyone can see what the link/URL is.
I don't use the URL shortener to hide links, I want my links to be
clickable in any circumstances. Links should work (if the page exists
of course) and be transparant.

I do know it's extremely difficult to write algorithms that try to
find out the intention of the one using short URLs. Not sure if it'll
be ever possible. Unclickable long URLs harm the reliability of (the
information of) the company or business. But short URLs that do not
work are as harmful as well...

Imho it should be one of your main focuses at Google to fix the issue
about unclickable long URLs in e-mail clients so that we don't need
any URL shorteners for this purpose (it's still beyond my
comprehension why major ICT companies like Google or Microsoft have
not been able to solve this issue but I'm unknowledgeable about such
ICT matters too so, perhaps I'm missing something... ;-)

Anyway, I also appreciate all your efforts to make things work, one
step at a time, with the best intentions because it's not an easy job.
Spammers, hackers &Co have made of the internet kind of a jungle or a
war zone... :-)

All the best to the team
Luc

On 21 jan, 18:01, cosmitec <de.jaeger....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the clarification.
>
> Today I sent a newsletter out to about 1900 subscribers. It looks like
> I even cannot link to my own web pages as Google has disabled the
> links for spam, security or legal reasons. Even linking to my own web
> site is considered spam, insezcure or illegal??
>
> For example:http://goo.gl/TrDpThttp://goo.gl/NMiwohttp://goo.gl/aDEn
Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control si...@maximonsolutions.com 2/22/11 8:19 AM
I've just had the exact same problem. I've been using goo.gl for a
while to track links in my personal emails and loved it. Then I hit on
the idea of including a link to see how many people read the company
newsletter online as opposed to their inbox.

5000 emails and 63 clicks later I get the URL disabled message and my
information has also disappeared. Is there anyway of enabling my link
again?

http://goo.gl/f0GPD

On Jan 10, 9:55 pm, "Muthu (Google Employee)" <mut...@google.com>
wrote:
Re: [google-url-shortener] Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control John McIlwraith 2/22/11 3:53 PM
BUMP: "Question re the algorithms, if an email is marked as spam in a gmail account and contains a goo.gl url does the URL get flagged as a spam URL? If so how many until it is considered spam and what factors go into qualifying what is spam?"
Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control yaacov 3/28/11 9:15 AM
Hi,

I also sent my newsletter to 4800 people and get the message this URL
has been disabled.
http://goo.gl/VPxJF

Is it possible to reactivate the link?

best to the team

Yaacov
> :S.-John: of the McILwraith family <http://OPEN2XL.com>
> FREE - Accept credit cards payments online
> today!<https://www.alertpay.com/?HiHx9PtQYIlnUGXsp892Aw%3d%3d%22>
Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control Konjanici 4/4/11 5:14 AM
I also used shortener and posted link to my bands FB fan page.
Worked for couple of hours and than ...404
http://goo.gl/BLuRB

Weird  thing is that it works from my computer but not on anyone
else's.

On Mar 28, 6:15 pm, yaacov <yaacovkr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I also sent my newsletter to 4800 people and get the message this URL
> has been disabled.http://goo.gl/VPxJF
unk...@googlegroups.com 10/22/11 3:42 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: [google-url-shortener] Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control vanhorn 10/22/11 7:16 PM
This isn't the place to report problems with that, but there is one. Fill out the form here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHNwbnQ0VHpLUm5UY3NGY1B6SE5Vamc6MQ

Note, however, the steady stream of reports in this forum from people who created a goo.gl URL and then e-mailed it to a large number of people only to find that some of them reported it as spam. Any large list is likely to include some number who will do that, and then the link is dead for all the rest. You can't retract the e-mail. The spam monitoring process in goo.gl simply makes this tool inappropriate for use in marketing e-mail.

Given the long and steady stream of messages on this subject, it would be my considered opinion that anyone who includes a goo.gl URL in an important mass mailing should not be considered for promotion anytime soon, and anyone who does it twice should be fired without further discussion.

Use any of the large number of other tools that don't filter spam if you have to. Better yet, set up a real short URL on your own server and take no risk at all. Or just blow me off, your replacement can figure it out.

Van

On 22/10/2011 3:42 PM, GyuSup Sim wrote:

Please get the URL activated again. It is not spam, and it has been sent to all e-mail subscribers. I will be fired on this coming Monday if you don't reactivate it. Please get it back

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:...@whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For photography, web design, hosting, and maintenance,
visit Van's home page: http://www.domainvanhorn.com/van/
Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control GyuSup Sim 10/22/11 10:29 PM
yeah you are right, I was so desperate that I copied and pasted the
message.

And luckily It has been re-activated :) Thanks for your thought and I
will keep it in mind.

Simpson.

On 10월23일, 오전11시16분, "G. Armour Van Horn" <vanh...@whidbey.com> wrote:
> This isn't the place to report problems with that, but there is one.
> Fill out the form here:https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dHNwbnQ0VHpLUm5UY3NG...
>
> Note, however, the steady stream of reports in this forum from people
> who created a goo.gl URL and then e-mailed it to a large number of
> people only to find that some of them reported it as spam. Any large
> list is likely to include some number who will do that, and then the
> link is dead for all the rest. You can't retract the e-mail. The spam
> monitoring process in goo.gl simply makes this tool inappropriate for
> use in marketing e-mail.
>
> Given the long and steady stream of messages on this subject, it would
> be my considered opinion that anyone who includes a goo.gl URL in an
> important mass mailing should not be considered for promotion anytime
> soon, and anyone who does it twice should be fired without further
> discussion.
>
> Use any of the large number of other tools that don't filter spam if you
> have to. Better yet, set up a real short URL on your own server and take
> no risk at all. Or just blow me off, your replacement can figure it out.
>
> Van
>
> On 22/10/2011 3:42 PM, GyuSup Sim wrote:
>
> > goo.gl/QcKq9 <http://goo.gl/QcKq9>
>
> > Please get the URL activated again. It is not spam, and it has been
> > sent to all e-mail subscribers. I will be fired on this coming Monday
> > if you don't reactivate it. Please get it back

> Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
> on a theme delivered every morning.
> Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
> mailto:twis...@whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD
Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control TakiNie 5/22/12 2:18 AM
Same case, that is a pitty, because I have lost a couple of entries.

http://goo.gl/E65SE
Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control Erik Severinghaus 5/22/12 9:39 AM
We have the same issue. Thousands of links went out to opt-in customers including the ones below:

Any help getting links re-enabled? There are about 20 of them. They are not spam, and sent to opt-in users.
Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control フォックス・マクラウド 5/23/12 5:37 PM
Hello dear Google Employees & ShortURL users,
and sorry for double posting...but this is crucial for better security:

This is for your service goo.gl , could you please forward it to the
correct person:

For security reasons it would be vital if you added the following
features to this service:

-not automaticaly forward to the longURL, but ask the user previously
& previously show a preview of the actual URL the shortURL is
forwarding to.
-as well as a screen shot of the actual website (behind the shortURL)

-also an automatic malware site filter that blocks malware sites and
prevents creating shortURLs that refer to malware sites.

-the ability to add tags to a shortURL you created yourself (so that
you & others can easier find what they are interested in...and see what you want to show to them).

And by the way: since the shortURLs are said to be public, where can I
look them up?

Hopefully someone can help.
Thank you very much in advance.

BTW @Google URL Shortener Team: why can anyone find my GMail address in this group...normally it is hidden to protect privacy and prevent abuse because of SPAM???

Best wishes!
SFxoFFx
RE: [google-url-shortener] Re: Clarification: 404 errors and spam control Jeff Oostuizen 5/23/12 11:05 PM

Please, please remove my address from the mailing list