how to force OpenGL mode in plugin

Showing 1-12 of 12 messages
how to force OpenGL mode in plugin cjorba 5/12/09 3:51 AM
Hi,

I have problems with GEplugin-in on machines using "Matrox M9140 LP
PCIe x16" video cards.

http://code.google.com/p/earth-issues/issues/detail?id=244
http://code.google.com/p/earth-issues/issues/detail?id=266

From matrox I've been told that these only happen when on DirectX
mode, so, I was wondering...

Is there any way to force the OpenGL mode on the GEplugin?

...thru some configuration file or something?..

if anyone knows how to do this I would really appreciate the info.

-Carlos


Re: how to force OpenGL mode in plugin Earth API Guru 5/12/09 5:44 AM
Hi Carlos,

There is no way to do this directly, however AFAIK the plug-in
automatically uses OpenGL mode when ever DirectX initialization fails.
See the Google Earth Plug-in, version 4.3.9597.9390 (Windows) release
notes:
http://code.google.com/apis/earth/documentation/releasenotes.html

Also this thread discusses the same:
http://code.google.com/apis/earth/documentation/releasenotes.html

Hope that helps.

F.

On May 12, 11:51 am, cjorba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have problems with GEplugin-in on machines using "Matrox M9140 LP
> PCIe x16" video cards.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/earth-issues/issues/detail?id=244http://code.google.com/p/earth-issues/issues/detail?id=266
Re: how to force OpenGL mode in plugin Earth API Guru 5/12/09 6:03 AM
Maybe I typed too soon...

...Looking at it there is a key in regestry that looks like it could
be just the thing:
-----------------------------------------------------------
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\GoogleEarthPlugin]
"renderWarning-DXforceOGL"="false"
-----------------------------------------------------------

You *could* try setting the following to true but make sure you
understand the implications before you do.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"renderWarning-DXforceOGL"="true"
-----------------------------------------------------------

I would imagine that the setting would need a full reboot to work (if
it does at all)
See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986 for info on backing up and
altering the registry.

F.

On May 12, 1:44 pm, fraser (Earth API Guru) wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> There is no way to do this directly, however AFAIK the plug-in
> automatically uses OpenGL mode when ever DirectX initialization fails.
> See the Google Earth Plug-in, version 4.3.9597.9390 (Windows) release
> notes:http://code.google.com/apis/earth/documentation/releasenotes.html
>
> Also this thread discusses the same:http://code.google.com/apis/earth/documentation/releasenotes.html
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> F.
>
> On May 12, 11:51 am, cjorba wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I have problems with GEplugin-in on machines using "Matrox M9140 LP
> > PCIe x16" video cards.
>
> >http://code.google.com/p/earth-issues/issues/detail?id=244http://code...
Re: how to force OpenGL mode in plugin cjorba 5/12/09 7:32 AM
thanks fraser, I'm gonna try it and tell you how it went.

On 12 mayo, 15:03, fraser (Earth API Guru) wrote:
> Maybe I typed too soon...
>
> ...Looking at it there is a key in regestry that looks like it could
> be just the thing:
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\GoogleEarthPlugin]
> "renderWarning-DXforceOGL"="false"
> -----------------------------------------------------------
>
> You *could* try setting the following to true but make sure you
> understand the implications before you do.
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> "renderWarning-DXforceOGL"="true"
> -----------------------------------------------------------
>
> I would imagine that the setting would need a full reboot to work (if
> it does at all)
> See:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986for info on backing up and
Re: how to force OpenGL mode in plugin cjorba 5/12/09 7:51 AM
Ok... I don't have that key on the registry. Probably because the
5.0.11... version was the first GEplugin version to be installed in
that machine.

On 12 mayo, 16:32, Carlos Jorba wrote:
> thanks fraser, I'm gonna try it and tell you how it went.
>
> On 12 mayo, 15:03, fraser (Earth API Guru) wrote:
>
> > Maybe I typed too soon...
>
> > ...Looking at it there is a key in regestry that looks like it could
> > be just the thing:
> > -----------------------------------------------------------
> > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\GoogleEarthPlugin]
> > "renderWarning-DXforceOGL"="false"
> > -----------------------------------------------------------
>
> > You *could* try setting the following to true but make sure you
> > understand the implications before you do.
> > -----------------------------------------------------------
> > "renderWarning-DXforceOGL"="true"
> > -----------------------------------------------------------
>
> > I would imagine that the setting would need a full reboot to work (if
> > it does at all)
> > See:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986forinfo on backing up and
Re: how to force OpenGL mode in plugin Earth API Guru 5/12/09 8:59 AM
Hi Carlos,

Hmm... yes I reinstalled and the key is not present in the current
version, sorry!
Out of interest have you tried paying with the directx setting to see
if you can get it working?
If not I would suggest running "dxdiag.exe" and try disabling the
various options for your display.
Either that or wait for somemore feedback...Anyway, sorry about the
mis-information re the reg key!

F.

On May 12, 3:51 pm, Carlos Jorba wrote:
> Ok... I don't have that key on the registry. Probably because the
> 5.0.11... version was the first GEplugin version to be installed in
> that machine.
>
> On 12 mayo, 16:32, Carlos Jorba wrote:
>
> > thanks fraser, I'm gonna try it and tell you how it went.
>
> > On 12 mayo, 15:03, fraser (Earth API Guru) wrote:
>
> > > Maybe I typed too soon...
>
> > > ...Looking at it there is a key in regestry that looks like it could
> > > be just the thing:
> > > -----------------------------------------------------------
> > > [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Google\GoogleEarthPlugin]
> > > "renderWarning-DXforceOGL"="false"
> > > -----------------------------------------------------------
>
> > > You *could* try setting the following to true but make sure you
> > > understand the implications before you do.
> > > -----------------------------------------------------------
> > > "renderWarning-DXforceOGL"="true"
> > > -----------------------------------------------------------
>
> > > I would imagine that the setting would need a full reboot to work (if
> > > it does at all)
> > > See:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986forinfoon backing up and
Re: how to force OpenGL mode in plugin Roman Nurik 5/12/09 11:40 AM
Hi all,

You can control whether DirectX or OpenGL is used by changing this
key:

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Google\GoogleEarthPlugin\Render\RenderingApi

    0 = DirectX
    1 = OpenGL

After making the change, you'll need to kill all geplugin.exe
processes:

    Start -> Run -> taskkill /f /im geplugin.exe

or else the registry changes won't stick.

WARNING: only use this for testing, as this may change in the future.

Thanks,
Roman

On May 12, 8:59 am, fraser (Earth API Guru) wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> > > > See:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986forinfoonbacking up and
Re: how to force OpenGL mode in plugin cjorba 5/13/09 12:46 AM
Hi Roman,

I don't have that key on any of my GEplugin installations... yet I
have it under "Google Earth Plus" but I suppose that is for the
standalone GE.

thanks.
> > > > > See:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986forinfoonbackingup and
Re: how to force OpenGL mode in plugin Earth API Guru 5/13/09 5:06 AM
Hey Carlos,

Can I ask are you sure you are looking in the correct hive for the
key?
i.e. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE not HKEY_CURRENT_USER...
FYI I have just fresh installed version plug-in version 5.0.11655.6079
and the key is there...

Regards,

F.
Re: how to force OpenGL mode in plugin jganong 5/13/09 10:21 AM
setting this registry key to 1, i can now
run the google earth plugin within VirtualBox
i had to turn on 3D Acceleration in the
VirtualBox settings.

thanks!

on my machine, instead of HKLM
i had to look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Re: how to force OpenGL mode in plugin cjorba 5/14/09 12:30 AM
thankyou Fraser, disabling the direct3D and texture acceleration on
the dxdiag made a perfect workaround !!!  =o)

I haven't had any crash nor rendering problem since.

thanks,

Carlos

On May 12, 5:59 pm, fraser (Earth API Guru) wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> > > > See:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/256986forinfoonbacking up and
Re: how to force OpenGL mode in plugin cjorba 5/14/09 12:31 AM
True, I was on the wrong hive. Now I've found it.

Thanks,

Carlos