Raspberry Pi

Showing 1-31 of 31 messages
Raspberry Pi Kenshirou 3/10/12 2:10 AM
Hi, I would like to say thanks for this digital signage, I have
successfully installed it in my school, (besides the RSS Feeds) and
it's going down really well. I don't know what you think about the
Raspberry Pi but I was thinking if you could get the Live CD working
on this device, this would make Concerto soo much better. Again I
would like to thank you for this great software and I really can't
wait much longer for Concerto V2.
Re: Raspberry Pi Brian Michalski 3/10/12 9:50 PM
If you've got any spare units we'd certainly be interested in seeing
how Concerto runs on the platform :-P

In all seriousness I'm optimistic someone who gets their hands on one
will let us know how Concerto runs.

Re: Raspberry Pi Kenshirou 3/11/12 4:52 AM
Yeah, "spare units", impossible to even get one at the moment. Anyways
we can always hope for the best and keep up with the excellent project

On Mar 11, 5:50 am, Brian Michalski <bmichal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you've got any spare units we'd certainly be interested in seeing
> how Concerto runs on the platform :-P
>
> In all seriousness I'm optimistic someone who gets their hands on one
> will let us know how Concerto runs.

Re: Raspberry Pi Jason Kurian 4/24/12 10:45 PM
Do you have Concerto successfully running on Raspberry Pi units?
Re: Raspberry Pi Brian Michalski 4/25/12 3:32 PM
Not to my knowledge.  We don't have any Raspberry Pi units.

~Brian M

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/concerto-digital-signage/-/RvAEJCjNJvEJ.

Re: Raspberry Pi Steve S. 4/25/12 4:51 PM
We don't have one of these yet but we have been planning on setting one up as a concerto client. Keep in mind that the LiveCD won't work on a Raspberry Pi since they use an ARM processor, however you can always load another Linux distro on it. They are able to handle 1080P and seem to run XBMC pretty well from what I've seen in previews so loading a web browser to view a concerto screen shouldn't be a problem. I am working on an ArchLinux client on a small form factor Intel Atom and since ArchLinux supports ARM I can easily move everything over to the Pi when/if we get one. If you do get a Raspberry Pi I would be delighted to hear how you set it up :)
___________________________________
Re: Raspberry Pi Freysteinn 6/8/12 4:24 AM
I've been trying Concerto on a Rasberry Pi.
I'm using the recommended Rasberry Pi Debian 6 and the Midori browser.
Unfortunately the CPU is in full load the whole time, but it seems to
work. I'm using Concerto 1.9.3.
I will know more in a few days.

Best regards
Frey Alfredsson

On Apr 25, 11:51 pm, Steve Sanderson <stsanders...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We don't have one of these yet but we have been planning on setting one up
> as a concerto client. Keep in mind that the LiveCD won't work on a
> Raspberry Pi since they use an ARM processor, however you can always load
> another Linux distro on it. They are able to handle 1080P and seem to run
> XBMC pretty well from what I've seen in previews so loading a web browser
> to view a concerto screen shouldn't be a problem. I am working on an
> ArchLinux client on a small form factor Intel Atom and since ArchLinux
> supports ARM I can easily move everything over to the Pi when/if we get
> one. If you do get a Raspberry Pi I would be delighted to hear how you set
> it up :)
> ___________________________________
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Brian Michalski <bmichal...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Not to my knowledge.  We don't have any Raspberry Pi units.
>
> > ~Brian M
>
> > On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Jason Kurian <jason...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Do you have Concerto successfully running on Raspberry Pi units?

Re: Raspberry Pi Wojciech Kulesza 7/11/12 3:02 PM
Freysteinn,
did u manage to get any progress in running Concerto on your raspberry ?
Im reading in that article http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20120617120238137/RaspberryPi-Multimedia-Page1.html that Raspbian is the most reponsive debian distribution and with some extra changed settings, system can be very smooth.
Maybe this would suit with browser as Concerto client ?
I just got my raspberry and eager to give it a spin with concerto as well pretty soon.

Wojciech
Re: Raspberry Pi Larry Lovering 7/12/12 6:46 AM
I'm interested in how you got Concerto to work on the Pi.  Did you use the Debian distro as a starting point?  I would like to use the Raspberry Pi as a Concerto Player, but have not seen how I could get the files from the live CD to the Debian distro and install.  I'm using an Ubuntu server for my Concerto server and that works well on an Atom netbook with 1gb memory.

-Larry
Re: Raspberry Pi Steve S. 7/12/12 8:44 AM
I still do not have an RPI but I would recommend ArchLinux for speed. Very minimal  OS.. boots faster, runs faster, easier to customize. I assume that Arch arm works the same as regular ArchLinux, we use x86 systems. I use Arch for all of our client systems here at college and have created a guide  for post install setup. The guide is mostly for internal use atm and I need to clean it up some but here’s the preliminary. Would love any feedback or recommendations.

https://xarrg.org/owncloud/public.php?service=files&token=10f68aa5101360f43ecae26e4dc1bbb2e6c3bc00&file=/Documents/Boot%20to%20Browser%20-%20wiki.pdf

The above link is from my own site. Would be awesome if concerto had a wiki where we could add all of the little tweaks and guides everyone makes in one spot.
Re: Raspberry Pi Steve S. 7/12/12 8:59 AM
The live CD would not work on the Raspberry Pi as is, The PI runs an ARM processor, the CD OS is not compiled to work on ARM.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/concerto-digital-signage/-/BAw6JgxrxjwJ.

Re: Raspberry Pi Larry Lovering 7/12/12 9:54 AM
Well, I think I can use some of the directions that you wrote up for Arch Linux and boot into the browser in a kiosk mode.  That will be my path to pursue.  Thanks, Steve.
Re: Raspberry Pi Andy Dietz 8/8/12 1:37 PM
Thought I'd share the steps I took to make Raspberry Pi work with Concerto - Quick and easy...

Start with a Stock Install of Raspbian -
at setup, choose to expand the disk to full sd card, and boot into window manager.

after Raspbian is up and running:

1. Make the mouse pointer disappear
sudo apt-get install unclutter

2.) Set up the LXDE X Window to automatic start the web browser midori with your web page.
sudo nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

3.) Switch off the automatic screen blanking.
sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
Enable in the category 'SeatDefaults' the xserver-command like following:
[SeatDefaults]
xserver-command=X -s 0 dpms

Reboot and you should have a functioning Screen.
Re: Raspberry Pi Brian Michalski 8/8/12 8:23 PM
Hi Andy (and anyone else with Concerto on an embedded device)!
I'd love to see how the Raspberry Pi performs with Concerto!  Is there any chance you can grab a video of it running and send it along (maybe record something with a mobile phone)?  I'm particularly interested in fades between graphical and text content.

If you're uncomfortable sharing with the world, feel free to reach me directly at bmich...@gmail.com.

Thanks,
~Brian M

Re: Raspberry Pi Ray Seals 9/6/12 11:50 AM
Here you go...

http://youtu.be/wDOJGJtg1vM
Re: Raspberry Pi Paul MJ Stone 9/7/12 2:46 AM
Excellent news on the client.  I'm interested to know if a Raspberry Pi can be setup as a server...
I appreciate the existing download is not compiled for an ARM chip but what needs to happen for that? My Linux knowledge is decades old and don't know that much about MySQL so I'm hoping for a simple recipe! I have a working webserver on a pi (wheezy distro) with php/MySQL (I think!).

I'm part of the Oxford Raspberry Jam and would add this to our 'knowledgebase'...

Any pointers would be useful, thanks.
Paul

Re: Raspberry Pi Brian Michalski 9/7/12 9:59 PM
Hi Paul,
If you've already got a webserver running with PHP & MySQL you've already done the heavy lifting.  A concerto server should run just fine, if you run into any trouble let us know!  You can find some very detailed instructions written up here: https://github.com/concerto/concerto_v1/wiki/Installation

~Brian M

Re: Raspberry Pi Brian Michalski 9/7/12 10:00 PM
Thanks for the video!  The fades look pretty poor / nonexistent, but that's what we've come to expect from limited hardware platforms.

~Brian M

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/concerto-digital-signage/-/InJ1dVKe1XQJ.

Re: Raspberry Pi Paul MJ Stone 9/8/12 3:21 PM
Thanks Brian - something for the weekend! (or all next week!)
Re: Raspberry Pi Paul MJ Stone 9/11/12 1:50 PM
I have now a working (!) concerto server on a Raspberry Pi!
Using Wheezy distro (off of the www.raspberrypi.org site), following LAMP install instructions from http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/486 and the sort of instructions for concerto on https://github.com/concerto/concerto_v1/wiki/Installation

If you don't know....
      1. recommend enabling SSH (on the wheezy distro run 'sudo raspi-config' and set expand to SD, memory split 224/32 and enable SSH, simples!) and PUTTY on windows which helps being able to copy/paste urls etc.
      2. the concerto instructions are a bit awry between points 8 and 9. To IMPORT the schema.sql and data.sql files there is no IMPORT command in mysql use "\. filename.sql" and cd to the install subdirectory of the untar'd concerto files first (unless you like typing version numbers) (or type the long mysql command line - why aren't all these things in scripts?)
      3. install phpmyadmin to help database working. The point about the admin concerto user having no password is important. The hex is the password hash. I missed this step and used phpmyadmin to copy/paste the hash into the user table.

I still have permissions errors on the content directories and am not sure how to fix that yet but at least there's a login and I can sort of add content.

Too early to say anything about performance but the phpmyadmin is a little sluggish (but I've not used it before) so I'm guessing its busy. Running 'top' on another ssh session shows concerto using about 10% cpu switching screens and phpmysql about 60%.

Now how does this concerto work..... ?!
Re: Raspberry Pi Paul MJ Stone 9/15/12 6:13 AM
OK sorted the permissions issue on /var/www/concerto/content/...  with a sudo chown www-data /var/www/concerto/content/,,,,,, for images and templates directories.
(FYI the full installation takes about 46% of a 4Gb SD card so I've moved to a bigger card!)

Now, I have a working server which I can load content too but, and this niggles me, the system time is correct with daylight savings implemented but the concerto display shows UTC ?!
Does anyone know why this happens ? all machines have the correct dst adjusted times.

Re: Raspberry Pi Paul MJ Stone 9/15/12 10:43 AM
and now the videos....
see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHX1egr6WmI&list=UU-NY4ndqSAnUAPtE_e08SGQ&index=1&feature=plcp
for the RPI as a display
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-5Vuf_iV_Q&list=UU-NY4ndqSAnUAPtE_e08SGQ&index=2&feature=plcp
for some RPI server bits.
(skip them if you know all about Concerto !)
Re: Raspberry Pi Brian Michalski 9/15/12 11:46 PM
Hrm, Concerto should be displaying the time from the server.  Perhaps PHP has UTC set as the default timezone?

~Brian M

Re: Raspberry Pi Paul MJ Stone 9/16/12 8:39 AM
I've since done an apt-get upgrade (after quite a while!) and the clock is now displaying the DST time ! loads of modules got changed so I can only presume it fixed it!

Also to note - I loaded Chromium to see if it makes a difference for the screen - although slower to load on startup it does do the transitions !

unk...@googlegroups.com 9/16/12 8:41 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: Raspberry Pi Paul MJ Stone 9/20/12 1:28 PM
or if you want to use Chromium...

2.) Set up the LXDE X Window to automatic start the web browser Chromium with your web page.
sudo nano ~/.config/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

Re: Raspberry Pi Kenshirou 10/12/12 1:15 AM

I have now deployed the raspberry pi and it works really well with Concerto, the only problem I had was with the screen blanking.
I had to install xscreensaver, editing sudo nano /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf didn't work for me.

Also the Raspberry Pi solved another issue with the digital signage it turns the screens on in the morning. I just set a cron job to restart the Pi in the morning then when it powers up the TV turns on,

Re: Raspberry Pi Paul MJ Stone 10/12/12 3:10 PM

The Pi now supports CEC control through the HDMI port/cable so that'll be why if your TV supports it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consumer_Electronics_Control#CEC
Re: Raspberry Pi SW2 ITV 11/19/12 12:34 PM
There is actually a video on youtube that shows the rasberry pi working with Concerto suite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHX1egr6WmI, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-5Vuf_iV_Q

On Mar 10, 2012, at 3:56 PM, Kenshirou <honda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I would like to say thanks for this digital signage, I have
> successfully installed it in my school, (besides the RSS Feeds) and
> it's going down really well. I don't know what you think about the
> Raspberry Pi but I was thinking if you could get the Live CD working
> on this device, this would make Concerto soo much better. Again I
> would like to thank you for this great software and I really can't
> wait much longer for Concerto V2.

Re: Raspberry Pi ggonmor 12/10/12 12:47 AM
Hi all,

Someone could say me how I can install concerto in my raspberry pi? I´ve rasbian but i don´t kwon how to install concerto

Regards

El sábado, 10 de marzo de 2012 11:10:21 UTC+1, Kenshirou escribió:
Hi, I would like to say thanks for this digital signage, I have
successfully installed it in my school, (besides the RSS Feeds) and
it's going down really well. I don't know what you think about the
Raspberry Pi but I was thinking if you could get the Live CD working
on this device, this would make Concerto soo much better. Again I
would like to thank you for this great software and I really can't
wait much longer for Concerto V2.
Re: Raspberry Pi Paul MJ Stone 12/10/12 1:53 PM
Further up this thread you'll find instructions (or links) to install the server version and the client version.

More topics »