Transferring an existing extension to the gallery.

Showing 1-6 of 6 messages
Transferring an existing extension to the gallery. Nick Baum 11/24/09 3:37 PM
Hi all,

Several of you have asked whether the extensions gallery supports importing your existing key. In fact we do, but we were hoping to improve the user experience so it's currently undocumented.

With that caveat in mind, here's how you can import your existing key:
  1. Rename your private key file to "key.pem"
  2. Put it in the extension directory and zip it together with your code.
  3. Upon upload*, we'll detect the key, remove it from the package and store it separately.

If you had set up auto-update, you can also transition existing users through the following steps:
  1. Create a new version of your extension
    1. with a version number higher than the latest version you shared with users.
    2. ...but lower than the one published on the gallery.
    3. and with the following auto-update url: http://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx
  2. Push this updated version to your users. The next update check will then go to the gallery.

Note that we don't yet support exporting keys, so once you host your extension on the gallery, you won't be able to easily return to self-hosting. We hope to support exporting extensions at some point in the future.

-Nick

* We understand some of you may be reluctant to upload your key to Google. We are considering how to avoid this, but for now you should probably stick to self-hosting.

Re: Transferring an existing extension to the gallery. Billiam 11/24/09 6:39 PM
Awesome, thank you.

What happens if an extension is uploaded to the gallery, and updated
with a new key.pem later?
-Billiam

On Nov 24, 3:37 pm, Nick Baum <nickb...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Several of you have asked whether the extensions gallery supports importing
> your existing key. In fact we do, but we were hoping to improve the user
> experience so it's currently undocumented.
>
> With that caveat in mind, here's how you can import your existing key:
>
>    1. Rename your private key file to "key.pem"
>    2. Put it in the extension directory and zip it together with your code.
>    3. Upon upload*, we'll detect the key, remove it from the package and
>    store it separately.
>
> If you had set up auto-update, you can also transition existing users
> through the following steps:
>
>    1. Create a new version of your extension
>       1. with a version number higher than the latest version you shared
>       with users.
>       2. ...but lower than the one published on the gallery.
>       3. and with the following auto-update url:
>      http://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx
>    2. Push this updated version to your users. The next update check will
unk...@googlegroups.com 12/3/09 3:25 AM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: [chromium-extensions] Re: Transferring an existing extension to the gallery. PhistucK 12/3/09 3:59 AM
location.host?

☆PhistucK

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 13:25, utatane <utata...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great. thank you!

I would like to transfer my extension to the gallery, but I'm using
chrome.extension.connectExternal that needs extension id.
How do I transfer them without changing my extensions' id?

Re: Transferring an existing extension to the gallery. utatane 12/3/09 4:14 AM
Thank you.

Sorry. I asked "How do I transfer my extension without changing id?".
But I retried this, I could get the same id.

An extension that first I uploaded is not including key.pem 2 days
ago, and I uploaded extension including key.pem again, but id was not
changed.
So I uploaded extension including key.pem as new item again, and this
id was the same as my local extension's id.

Maybe if an extension is uploaded to the gallery, and uploaded with a
new key.pem later, gallery ignores new key.pem.

On 11月25日, 午前8:37, Nick Baum <nickb...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Several of you have asked whether the extensions gallery supports importing
> your existing key. In fact we do, but we were hoping to improve the user
> experience so it's currently undocumented.
>
> With that caveat in mind, here's how you can import your existing key:
>
>    1. Rename your private key file to "key.pem"
>    2. Put it in the extension directory and zip it together with your code.
>    3. Upon upload*, we'll detect the key, remove it from the package and
>    store it separately.
>
> If you had set up auto-update, you can also transition existing users
> through the following steps:
>
>    1. Create a new version of your extension
>       1. with a version number higher than the latest version you shared
>       with users.
>       2. ...but lower than the one published on the gallery.
>       3. and with the following auto-update url:
>      http://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx
>    2. Push this updated version to your users. The next update check will
Re: [chromium-extensions] Re: Transferring an existing extension to the gallery. Nick Baum 12/3/09 9:41 AM
Yes, that's what happens. key.pem files are discarded during updates.

Glad you figured it out!

-Nick