How can I type special characters on my CR-48?

Showing 1-39 of 39 messages
How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Jose Kercado 6/21/11 9:44 PM
You know, language-specific ones...I speak Spanish, and there's a couple characters I'm missing...
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Matias W 6/21/11 9:47 PM
If you know the exact code:

  - Press ctrl+shift+u
   - Release the u
   - Type the character's hex code
   - Release all keys

While you are typing the code, the hex string will be displayed with an
underline, and then when you release the keys, it transforms to the single
character.

Testing: (U+2603) ☃

You can actually release the keys in two additional manners: 1) Release
shift+u, 2) Release all keys, then press enter to confirm your hex code.

On Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:44:20 PM UTC-5, Jose Kercado wrote:
You know, language-specific ones...I speak Spanish, and there's a couple characters I'm missing...
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Matias W 6/21/11 10:01 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/CR48/comments/eorv0/how_do_you_write_special_characters_in_chrome_os/

Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Jan Hubík 6/22/11 2:40 AM
I am using Czech keyboard layout for Czech characters. It is same as normal keyboard layout in my country. You can set it up in chrome://settings/languages and see if it acts as Spanish keyboard. After that you can switch input method by shortcut (alt+shift) or by clicking the US next to clock. For me the special characters are mostly on the row with numbers - +ěščřžýáíé :-)
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Jason C 6/22/11 4:03 AM
You could try the Google Virtual Keyboard also...  I know it's not ideal, but it's a simple fix.

On Tuesday, June 21, 2011 11:44:20 PM UTC-5, Jose Kercado wrote:
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Selden 6/22/11 4:21 AM
First you have to enable the appropriate language support:

Settings > System > Language > Customize languages and input...

Using the US extended keyboard (the US international keyboard works a little differently; see which you prefer), I worked out the following (which I hope will display properly here):

English (USA Extended) Alt-Key mappings

Top Row:

1 ¹

2 ²

3 ³

4 ¤

5 €

6 ⁶ (or dead key for hacek)

7 dead key for various high hook characters: ư ơ

8 dead key for various high hook characters: ų ǫ

9 ‘ayn ???

0 unknown

- ¥

¹²³¤€’¥×‘

= ×

Shift-Alt:

~ dead key for tilda: ñ Ǹ

! ¡

@ dead key? unknown pairings

# dead key for ē ā bar over: kitāb

$ £

% dead key for cedilla: ç ş Ş

^ ¼

& ½

* ¾

( dead key for breve: ŏ ŭ

) unknown

_ dead key for dot under: ọ ḥ; e.g., Muḥammad

+ ÷

Second Row:

q ä

w å

e é

r ë

t þ (Icelandic thorn)

y ü

i í

o ó

p ö

[ «

] »

\ ¬

Shift-Alt:

Q Ä

W É

R Ë

T Þ (Icelandic Thorn)

Y Ü

U Ú

I Í

O Ó

P Ö

{ “

} ”

| ¦

Third Row:

a á

s ß (schloss s)

d ð (eth)

f f

g g

h h

j ï

k œ

l ø

; ¶

' dead key for acute accent (case insensitive: áÁ éÉ íÍ óÓ úÚ

Shift-Alt:

A Á

S ß

D Ð (capital Eth)

F F

G G

H H

J Ï

K Œ

L Ø

: ° (degree sign)

" dead key for umlaut (case insensitive): äÄ ëË ïÏ öÖ üÜ

Fourth Row:

z æ

x œ

c ©

v ®

b b

n ñ

m µ

, ç

. dead key for dot over: ȧ ė ṅṄ

/ ¿

Shift-Alt:

Z Æ

X Œ

C ©

V ®

B B

N Ñ

M unknown

< Ç

> dead key for hacek (case insensitive): ǒ Ǒ

? dead key for unknown diacritic: ả ỏ

On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:44:20 AM UTC-4, Jose Kercado wrote:
You know, language-specific ones...I speak Spanish, and there's a couple characters I'm missing...
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Jose Kercado 6/22/11 5:21 AM
Thanks!

One detail I saw (thanks to Matias' link) is that you must use the right-side Alt key.
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Eric Jones 6/22/11 5:30 AM
I think you just figured out why Selden's alt key behaves differently than everyone else's!
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Selden 6/22/11 5:51 AM
That's an interesting comment, as there is either a hardware or software (more likely) bug with the Alt keys. On my Cr-48, either Alt key works for text input, but only the left Alt key works for other purposes, such as Alt-tap = right-click, Alt-arrow to switch windows, even Ctrl-Alt-? to bring up the keymap. And, when the keymap is displaying, if I click the right Alt key, nothing happens, whereas the left Alt key shows the expected mappings. And yet, I've heard others report different behavior. Fortunately, I'm left-handed, and rarely use the right Alt key, so it's only a minor annoyance.

I submitted a bug report when I first noticed this behavior several months ago, but I have never heard back from Google. However, it does appear that I am not alone in seeing inconsistent behavior for the right Alt key: Issue 13922 in chromium-os: Right Alt key not functional using UK keyboard input.

chromium...@googlecode.com
 More options Apr 7, 3:30 am
Updates:
        Cc: yusu...@chromium.org sato...@chromium.org js...@chromium.org

Comment #3 on issue 13922 by yusu...@chromium.org: Right Alt key not
functional using UK keyboard input
http://code.google.com/p/chromium-os/issues/detail?id=13922

I think the current behavior is the expected one.

When the UK layboard layout is selected, RightAlt does not behave like
LeftAlt because the key is a special one ("AltGr") which allows users to
input accented characters. Please try RightAlt+a with the UK layout.

Even with the just the US keyboard enabled, behavior of the right Alt-key is somewhat flaky. Unfortunately, the last post on the chromium-os issues list says (emphasis mine):

chromium...@googlecode.com
 More options Apr 7, 4:02 am
Updates:
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Purgatorio 6/22/11 6:27 PM
It would be nice to have a linux-style compose key available - for instance as an option for the caps lock behaviour.

On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:44:20 AM UTC-4, Jose Kercado wrote:
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Martijn 8/24/11 11:35 AM
I still don't get it. Can you explain what I exactly have to type in order to get an ë? My Chromebook uses the UK country settings.
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Selden 8/24/11 12:28 PM
To some degree, the answer to your question depends on language and keyboard system settings. That said, I have confirmed that with either UK or US English language, Shift-Alt-" e produces ë. To state this in a more verbose way, while holding down the right Alt key and either Shift key, press and release the " (double quote) key, then release the Alt and Shift keys and press the e key. You should see ë appear.

Alternatively, install the utf-8 extension, and use cut and paste to add the ë character to your document. One of the nice features of this extension is that it gdisplays the 4-char hex code values for any utf-8 (Unicode) character that you select. This is how I figured out the 4-character code for alternative #2

Alternative #2, while holding down the Ctrel-and Shift keys, press the u key, then type 00EB and the ë character will appear.

A keystroke macro recorder extension would make this much easier, but to my knowledge, nobody has written one yet. Lacking that, use whichever method is easiest for you to remember.
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? O Zwiebel 12/7/11 3:24 AM
Hi, I tried following the directions, but can't get it working. I need the German umlauts and double s and Euro symbol:

I'm not sure what keys to press. I've tried everything suggested. The UTF-8 characters extension doesn't have the letters I need.

In the Chrome settings, I have both the US keyboard and US extended keyboard. The keyboard itself is German. I do most of my typing in English.

Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks

On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 1:21:35 PM UTC+2, Selden wrote:
First you have to enable the appropriate language support:

Settings > System > Language > Customize languages and input...

Using the US extended keyboard (the US international keyboard works a little differently; see which you prefer), I worked out the following (which I hope will display properly here):

English (USA Extended) Alt-Key mappings

Second Row:

q ä

y ü

p ö

Shift-Alt:

Q Ä

Y Ü

Third Row:

s ß (schloss s)

Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? O Zwiebel 12/7/11 3:41 AM
Whew! I finally found out how to do this. I have to use the "alt gr" key (to the right of the space bar). Here's the letters I needed, except I still can't find the Euro € symbol.

Alt gr

q = ä
y = ü
p = ö
s = ß

For capital letters:
Alt gr + Shift
q = Ä
y = Ü
p = Ö
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Chris toph 12/7/11 6:48 AM
Hold ctrl+shift then "U" then the unicode hexa number (four digits), release ctrl+shift. (If I remember correctly, I'm presently on my windows pc..)
And keep in mind the most often characters used..
http://www.utf8-chartable.de/
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? O Zwiebel 12/14/11 4:03 AM
Thanks for the reply Chris. I just saw your post today (I thought I would get notified when someone replied).
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Selden 12/14/11 5:47 AM
It depends on your keyboard mapping, but with the US Extended keyboard, Alt-5 = . But, I'm curious: if you can't find the € symbol, how did you type it in your response? Copy and paste?

It's unfortunate that the Chrome OS keyboard overlay help doesn't display the alternate-graphics characters when one presses the Alt and Shift-Alt keys; it's as if Alt-gr doesn't exist. Without this help, one is reduced to trial and error, or memorizing arcane Unicode 4-character sequences (which I have done for M-dash — and Angstrom (degree symbol °) because I use them frequently. Ultimately, all keyboard mappings are arbitrary and require memorization, but some memorization is harder than other.

On Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:41:18 AM UTC-5, Onion wrote:
Whew! I finally found out how to do this. I have to use the "alt gr" key (to the right of the space bar). Here's the letters I needed, except I still can't find the Euro € symbol....
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? O Zwiebel 12/14/11 8:00 AM
Thanks Selden. Yes, I had copied and pasted the symbol into my reply.

Alt Gr key + 5 makes the € symbol. yay!

I'll have to remember, too, to press Alt + Shift to switch between the US extended keyboard and the US keyboard. Cuz suddenly, my Alt Gr symbols didn't work today. Or maybe I could get along with de-selecting the US keyboard under Wrench > Settings > System > Language (Customize languages and input).

Also figured out how to set my membership to get email replies here. heh!
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? André Hopkins 12/16/11 4:37 PM
Thanks Selden...now I can type my name correctly.

Any idea on those heart and music symbols?
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Selden 12/16/11 5:21 PM
Install the utf-8 extension. All sorts of "interesting" characters are accessible with it:

Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? GA 12/18/11 8:09 PM
I dont own a Chromebook yet, so i cant test this.

Chrome can't display combined diacritical marks correctly, so please dont't  view this posting with Chrome. Use Firefox instead.

mɯa rài gɔ̂ɔ dâai = เมื่อไรก็ได้

Chrome will display m□a rài g□□□ dâai instead

I have tried the UTF8 extension with Windows XP, but it does not work.

Here is the link to the bug:
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? fcsdjc 5/4/12 6:16 AM
This doesn't work in google docs

Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Jim McMahon 8/14/12 8:29 PM
How do i unlock the caps ?

IT IS IN CAP MODEL CONTINUOUSLY.
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Raccoon 8/14/12 8:32 PM
shift search is the key combo for caps, try pressing that and see if it goes back to regular input.
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Jim McMahon 8/14/12 8:43 PM
I SEE SHIFT KEY. WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY SHIFT SEARCH?
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Jim McMahon 8/14/12 8:45 PM
THIS IS NORMAL TYPING.
this is typing with shift key held down

Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Jim McMahon 8/14/12 8:48 PM
Shift SEARCH DOES NOT WORK.
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Raccoon 8/14/12 9:27 PM
Did you press them both at once?
Chromebook afficionado 8/14/12 10:29 PM <This message has been deleted.>
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? GA 10/9/12 1:39 PM
@fcsdjc

Yes it works in Google Docs.

But not with Chrome.

You can test it with Firefox:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Al4hepmAEnbqdHhVeGVYclExZkdaTXVHSmNKVGdqclE&output=html

Am Freitag, 4. Mai 2012 15:16:40 UTC+2 schrieb fcsdjc:
This doesn't work in google docs

Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Robbin Edgren 10/13/12 12:45 PM
"Extended layout" on google chrome is known as "US International (altgr dead keys)" on linux. There is graphical layouts available in, for example, Ubuntu, http://andries.filmer.nl/files/76/Keyboard_USA-International_(AltGr-dead-keys).png http://www.twam.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/us_international.png and http://linuxcomputers.nl/img/cms/help/Keyboard_USA-International_(AltGr-dead-keys).png (preparing for linkrot).

The biggest difference between US international and US Extended (aka int with alt-gr dead keys) besides the obvious (you have to press alt-gr to make ~, ", ' etc "dead keys") are the placement of ® (it has moved from alt-gr r to alt-gr v) and some of the alt-gr:s on the number-row has inverted if you their status on shift. You are able to install it on windows with the help of http://code.google.com/p/usialtgr/ (I haven't tested it but it been recommended to me).

ALWAYS USE "US int. alt-gr dead keys" !!! It has all "normal" (shifted and unshifted, non-alt-gr) keys left on their "normal" (non international) status, which makes it a lot easier to use.
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Joe Ellett 10/13/12 9:26 PM
I've always used US International as my keyboard layout, and it's been able to produce all of the extended characters I've ever needed, but it's far from an ideal solution for someone who types and thinks in a language that needs those characters. For someone in the US typing an occasional name, like José, or a borrowed expression, like déjà vu, US International is well and good, but for someone in Copenhagen, typing everything in Danish, the US International layout would be painful in the number of extra key strokes required.

And Chrome OS has a particularly irritating implementation of how dead keys work compared to Windows. Sometimes forgetting to hit the spacebar to trigger an apostrophe, for instance, results in "theyŕe" instead of "they're" but in another instance it results in a letter completely disappearing, as in "hasn" instead of "hasn't".  Other dead keys, when improperly triggered, produce equally erratic results. I don't know whether it's Chrome OS specific or inherited from Linux, but it would be enough to drive me starkers if I were working primarily in another language and had to use the dead keys frequently.

Fully nationalized layouts are what our colleagues in non-English speaking countries really need, and it will be required of Chrome OS to include those nationalizations before Chrome OS devices are widely adopted in their countries.
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Gill 10/15/12 8:31 AM
<<Fully nationalized layouts are what our colleagues in non-English speaking countries really need>> Agreed.

(and, as it happens in some of the English-speaking countries, viz. England :-) - which we do have, thank goodness)
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? zephyr 10/15/12 12:23 PM
If you only type special characters occasionally, is it wrong to copy/paste it from a source such as Selden's post or Wikipedia's punctuation or typography page? It seems efficient to me and platform independent too. Example: It's 70° F. Done

I rarely ever break out the Icelandic Thorn, but when I do...I mean it! :)
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? adamyakes 12/12/12 10:12 AM
What they mean is Shift + Search (Press both keys at once)
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Selden 12/12/12 11:44 AM
@Adam : Shift+Search hasn't worked to enable CapsLock for some time. As of  Version 23.0.1271.94, the CapsLock combination is Alt+Search, which is documented in the keyboard overlay ( Ctrl+Alt+? )
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Dominic Matthew Brooks 4/5/13 7:58 AM
I am getting so unbelievably stressed out here, can someone please just give me a simple answer how do I do a Copyright symbol? Thanks (in advance and assuming that someone else speaks human English rather than Chrome English)
Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Selden 4/5/13 8:15 AM
Dominic : Using the US Extended keyboard, Alt-C (using the right Alt key) = ©

Re: How can I type special characters on my CR-48? Dominic Matthew Brooks 4/5/13 11:29 AM
YOUR THE BEST! Thank you very much Selden!
More topics »