This topic has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.

Re: [beagleboard] a cool OS coming to the beagleboard? Jason Kridner 7/29/08 7:08 PM
Working or available?

Linux distros

WinCE bootloader is running, but I think there isn't a complete set of drivers yet.

In general, getting an OS up-and-running is an exercise for the community as a whole.  Everyone is welcome to run whatever OS or version that they'd like!  RiscOS, OKL4, FreeBSD, Nucleus, etc.  All are welcome.  Ones open for more developers will get more developers.
beagle OS? James Trigg 7/30/08 12:27 AM

As I see it there are 3 type of OS

Open platform OS (Desktop)

ones made for other hardware and moved over to the ARM platform

Mobile phone/pda OS (mobile)
ones made for the mobile market at can take advatage

ARM Native platforms
ones made for the ARM ground up taking advantage processor architecture

I am not a OS expert so please correct me if I am wrong but there are some grate advantages in building OS around the Arm architecture.

Beagle OS (open source)
A Small ARM optimised kernel

Possibly - A nice new filing system

Open GL 3D user interface

Built in applications

  • Word processor

  • Web browser / code editor

  • Spreadsheet

  • Vector editor

  • Bitmap editor

ease to use programming language something like PHP with Arm assembler

So what do people think?

- if there is enough interest I am willing to set up a website

From: James Trigg <jamesl...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: [beagleboard] Re: beagle OS?
To: beagl...@googlegroups.com
Date: Wednesday, 30 July, 2008, 10:08 PM
RE: [beagleboard] Re: beagle OS? Frank W. Miller 7/30/08 2:34 PM

Well, this is an OS kernel that was developed about 10 years ago but has been languishing on my hard drive for some time cuz I’ve been off doing other things.  It’s BSD licensed and should be very simple to understand.  I’ve only ever booted it on x86 machines but it should not be a big deal to get it to run on an ARM.  I did start messing with it again recently thinking about adding support for x86 multicore.  You’ll see some initial code for that in there.  I also started writing a UHCI driver (very incomplete) in hopes of adding a USB stack to it.  My goal was to get it booting self hosted off a USB stick.  Definitely a long way to go towards that goal although I do have some FAT filesystem code sitting around somewhere if I ever got the USB stack in place.  Anyway, link to the source code is at:

http://www.sipuseragent.net/download/pk.tgz

I am more than happy to take patches and fold them in and maintain a central source tree if that becomes something that is useful.  I’ve not started working on this project because I’m still waiting on hardware but I’ll be getting going on it when I do.

Thanks,

FM

From: Frank W. Miller <ma...@frankwmiller.net>

To: beagl...@googlegroups.com
Date: Wednesday, 30 July, 2008, 10:34 PM
RE: [beagleboard] Re: beagle OS? Frank W. Miller 7/30/08 3:51 PM

I definitely won’t knock it since I wrote all of it…  ;)  And as I mentioned, I’ve been running it recently while I tried to add multicore support.  Its still working well on x86.

Remember, its just a kernel, it has a memory manager, interrupt service routine (ISR) management, Pthreads, mutual exclusion (i.e. mutexes), console and keyboard drivers with a simple monitor/shell.  I neglected to post the documentation on the design of the kernel, I’ve added that at:

http://www.sipuseragent.net/download/pk.pdf

Pretty much all the stuff you list below would have to be built on top of the kernel.

Enjoy!

FM

WinCE bootloader is running, but I think there isn't a complete set of drivers yet.

In general, getting an OS up-and-running is an exercise for the community as a whole.  Everyone is welcome to run whatever OS or version that they'd like!  RiscOS, OKL4, FreeBSD, Nucleus, etc.  All are welcome.  Ones open for more developers will get more developers.

On Jul 29, 2008, at 12:59 PM, James Trigg wrote:

what OS are working on the board so far?

What about riscos it been written for the ARM chip. and with only minor changes it would work on the beagleboard. one thing it's not opensource so we would need to pay riscos ltd for a license. But its a great operating system with lots of free software.  I would buy it, I have used it before it's very effective.

RE: [beagleboard] Re: beagle OS? Frank W. Miller 7/30/08 5:55 PM

Roadrunner/pk and ucos are very similar in their feature set (at least the basic ucos kernel, it also has lots of addon modules for networking and such) and what they target for application development, i.e. deeply embedded systems.  A big difference of course is Roadrunner/pk is open-source and ucos is not.

If you are looking to put together some sort of desktop environment, Linux will be your best bet.  It has way more software that’s already integrated with it to do what you are looking for.  If you want to build an embedded device application, something like Roadrunner/pk or ucos might be better.

Micro vs. monolithic vs. hybrid is really only relevant if you are using virtual addressing.  Then its really just preference based on your requirements.  Micro kernels are better for some things and monolithic are better for other things.

Thanks,

FM