apkbuilder ?

Showing 1-10 of 10 messages
apkbuilder ? Danny Backx 12/21/10 12:17 AM
apkbuilder says THIS TOOL IS DEPRECATED (caps not mine).

When I run it from the command line, without any options, it
says (cut somewhat) :

> If you wish to use apkbuilder for a custom build system, please look at the
> com.android.sdklib.build.ApkBuilder which provides support for
> recent build improvements including library projects.

So can someone tell me how/where to "look at" this ?

Thanks,

    Danny
Re: [android-developers] apkbuilder ? Mark Murphy 12/21/10 1:11 AM
Step #1: Visit http://www.google.com/codesearch

Step #2: Search on:

package:android ApkBuilder

Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to *Advanced* Android Development_ Version 1.9
Available!

Re: apkbuilder ? Danny Backx 12/23/10 12:14 AM
Thanks Mark.

I've looked there and I also downloaded the Android src (hence the
delay before this reply).

From the command line (or a Makefile) I end up in the "apkbuilder"
script, this does little except starting
com.android.sdklib.build.ApkBuilderMain .
The ApkBuilderMain appears to be very thin : it basically calls
ApkBuilder in one of several ways. And it prints the warning that
triggered me.

It looks like Ant has its own stuff in ApkBuilderTask.java, bypassing
ApkBuilderMain and thus no warning.

Conclusion seems to be that this is a wild goose chase : there's very
little I can do right now except ignoring the message.
Is this the right conclusion or am I missing something ?

Can someone note that leaving such messages (pointing to --help which
isn't there) confuses people ?

Thanks,

  Danny

On Dec 21, 10:11 am, Mark Murphy <mmur...@commonsware.com> wrote:
> Step #1: Visithttp://www.google.com/codesearch
>
> Step #2: Search on:
>
> package:android ApkBuilder
>

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Danny Backx <da...@backx.info> wrote:
> > apkbuilder says THIS TOOL IS DEPRECATED (caps not mine).
>
> > When I run it from the command line, without any options, it
> > says (cut somewhat) :
>
> >> If you wish to use apkbuilder for a custom build system, please look at the
> >> com.android.sdklib.build.ApkBuilder which provides support for
> >> recent build improvements including library projects.
>
> > So can someone tell me how/where to "look at" this ?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> >    Danny
>
> > --

> Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)http://commonsware.com|http://github.com/commonsguyhttp://commonsware.com/blog|http://twitter.com/commonsguy
Re: [android-developers] Re: apkbuilder ? Mark Murphy 12/23/10 1:04 AM
On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 3:14 AM, Danny Backx <da...@backx.info> wrote:
> Can someone note that leaving such messages (pointing to --help which
> isn't there) confuses people ?

You might try http://tools.android.com/feedback and open an issue. It
is possible somebody on the tools team will see this thread, but it's
not assured.

--

Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to *Advanced* Android Development_ Version 1.9
Available!

Re: [android-developers] Re: apkbuilder ? Xavier Ducrohet 12/23/10 1:35 AM
The message you get running apkbuilder is a bit misleading I agree.

I've been very tempted to simply remove the tool but I'm sure that
would annoy more people.

The issues is that apkbuilder (the script) is just not maintained at
all because neither Ant, nor Eclipse use it.

With the introduction of library project, this final step in build
android applications has become more complex and requires more
parameters to be passed to com.android.sdklib.build.ApkBuilder. Since
the default build system doesn't use the apkbuilder script, we haven't
added all those new parameters to apkbuilder.

At this time we simply don't have the resources to support people who
want to use their own build system, but we really wish we could. In
many ways we try to make it easy on other tools vendor by clearly
separating logic to eclipse or ant specific code (hence the multitude
of jar files everywhere in the tools and in ADT), but this is not one
of them.

The biggest issue would be to extract the logic to deal with library
projects and package that with sdklib somehow (there's a lot in ADT
and in the Ant custom tasks right now) so that we could build a new
ApkbuilderMain that can handle libraries somewhat automatically.

Unless someone is willing to contribute this, it's unlikely to happen
for a while (if ever) though.

Xav

--
Xavier Ducrohet
Android SDK Tech Lead

Please do not send me questions directly. Thanks!

Re: apkbuilder ? Danny Backx 12/23/10 2:16 AM
Thanks for this very clear message.

I've been meaning to look into the library stuff. You might just have
tempted me.

  Danny
Re: apkbuilder ? Bachowny Plamborgs 1/27/11 3:27 AM
Argh you people are unbelievable!

WHAT is the replacement? WHAT ant command should I call, or failing that WHAT Java class can I start other than ApkBuilderMain?

Seriously, it's great to put a massive deprecation notice into everyone's build script, but at some stage people might want to know how to get rid of it!

I'm no expert on Android, just trying to get started using the tools for my IDE. I'm sorry, but this is like the 18 trillionth thread I've found saying "yes, yes, it IS deprecated, isn't it"...

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS SACRED WHAT REPLACED IT???
Re: [android-developers] Re: apkbuilder ? Xavier Ducrohet 1/27/11 9:42 AM
If you're just getting started you really shouldn't try to make your
own build scripts. Therefore you should use the normal Ant build
system, or Eclipse.
Lots of info at
http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/other-ide.html and
http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/eclipse-adt.html

Xav

Xavier Ducrohet
Android SDK Tech Lead
Google Inc.
http://developer.android.com | http://tools.android.com

Please do not send me questions directly. Thanks!

Re: [android-developers] Re: apkbuilder ? Kris Nuttycombe 3/24/11 10:17 AM
I help to maintain the SBT (http://code.google.com/p/simple-build-tool/) plugin for Android, which is available here: https://github.com/jberkel/android-plugin and would like to bring it up to date with respect to apkbuilder. If I understand what you've said correctly, part of what would be required to make this really work is to factor out the common library build pieces from the Ant tasks and the Eclipse plugin into the sdklib, or at least to figure out what they're doing and duplicate it in the SBT plugin in order provide library support there. I can devote a couple of days to this. Something that would would be very helpful would be rough pointers to the parts of the Ant and Eclipse libraries that interact with ApkBuilder, or if you have the time a couple of quick notes as to what considerations are important when building library projects.

Thanks!

Kris
Re: [android-developers] Re: apkbuilder ? Kris Nuttycombe 3/24/11 11:25 AM
Actually, I think I found a good model for how to approach the work here for SBT; the Maven android plugin went through the same transition, and it looks like it'll serve admirably as a model. For anyone else who might be interested in how to go about this, check out this commit: https://github.com/cescoffier/maven-android-plugin/commit/858df7a989ce5c5cb526a472c4f57953361d2f46

Kris