High memory usage reported in running services activity

Showing 1-5 of 5 messages
High memory usage reported in running services activity Joan Pujol 1/23/11 12:16 PM
I've seen that my background service is allocating 25Mbs according to
the Running Services android window. As it is a lot of memory that I
think I don't use I looked to ddms and also made a head dump of my
process and then the memory usage is only 2.9Mb

What's is the real memory usage? If it is the ddms one is there any
way to let running services give the correct usage? Because I'm afraid
that if some user look at the running services it will say that the
application is wasting a lot of memory.
Re: [android-developers] High memory usage reported in running services activity Dianne Hackborn 1/23/11 1:00 PM
You can use "adb shell dumpsys memoryinfo" to see more details information about app memory usage.

Note that Running Services (especially starting with Gingerbread) is showing the aggregate of your process and any processes you are causing to keep around.  Look at the details to see if there are other processes involved, and it should say why they are needed.

Or it could just be that you have allocations elsewhere -- for example I think DDMS only shows the Java heap in its main view.  If you have a lot of native allocations (bitmaps, web view, etc) then they may not show up there.


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to android-d...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en



--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hac...@android.com

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.

Re: High memory usage reported in running services activity Joan Pujol 1/23/11 2:19 PM
Thanks Dianne,

I've tried with the dumpsys memoryinfo and it says I have the same
that is reported in running services.
It seems you are right and that the memory is used in the native part:
                  Native      Dalvik
allocated:    18259     4659      N/A    22918

But how can I get some detail of where is used the native memory.
Because with only the number I haven't any clue.

And also, if the native memory isn't displayed in the HEAD DUMP, it is
really useful??

Cheers,

On Jan 23, 10:00 pm, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> You can use "adb shell dumpsys memoryinfo" to see more details information
> about app memory usage.
>
> Note that Running Services (especially starting with Gingerbread) is showing
> the aggregate of your process and any processes you are causing to keep
> around.  Look at the details to see if there are other processes involved,
> and it should say why they are needed.
>
> Or it could just be that you have allocations elsewhere -- for example I
> think DDMS only shows the Java heap in its main view.  If you have a lot of
> native allocations (bitmaps, web view, etc) then they may not show up there.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Joan Pujol <joanpu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've seen that my background service is allocating 25Mbs according to
> > the Running Services android window. As it is a lot of memory that I
> > think I don't use I looked to ddms and also made a head dump of my
> > process and then the memory usage is only 2.9Mb
>
> > What's is the real memory usage? If it is the ddms one is there any
> > way to let running services give the correct usage? Because I'm afraid
> > that if some user look at the running services it will say that the
> > application is wasting a lot of memory.
>
> > --
> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "Android Developers" group.
> > To post to this group, send email to android-d...@googlegroups.com
> > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> > android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<android-developers%2Bunsubs cr...@googlegroups.com>
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
>
> --
> Dianne Hackborn
> Android framework engineer
> hack...@android.com
Re: [android-developers] Re: High memory usage reported in running services activity Dianne Hackborn 1/23/11 2:32 PM
If you aren't using WebView, this is most likely bitmaps.  I would suggest looking in the dalvik heap info to see what bitmaps are being held.  Unfortunately bitmap memory is not currently part of the Dalvik heap, so it can be a little hard to track down.hac...@android.com
Re: High memory usage reported in running services activity Joan Pujol 1/24/11 6:06 AM
A lot of thank Dianne,

I've both bitmaps, and webview but with your info I think I will be
able to solve my memory problems.
But for completeness:
The adb shell dumpsys is the best accurate info? There's no other info
with native memory usage?

And also, Is it ok to open a feature request to propagate the native
memory on the head dumps and see the real numbers?

Cheers,

On Jan 23, 11:32 pm, Dianne Hackborn <hack...@android.com> wrote:
> If you aren't using WebView, this is most likely bitmaps.  I would suggest
> looking in the dalvik heap info to see what bitmaps are being held.
>  Unfortunately bitmap memory is not currently part of the Dalvik heap, so it
> can be a little hard to track down.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > > > android-developers+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com<android-developers%2Bunsubs cr...@googlegroups.com><android-developers%2Bunsubs