Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support

Showing 1-9 of 18 messages
Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 8:35 AM
We've been able to resolve the issues around Nexus S 4G, and we can
now properly distribute its CDMA and WiMAX binaries. That allows Nexus
S 4G to work with AOSP just as well as Nexus S.

As a result, we now consider Nexus S 4G to be fully supported in AOSP,
with no restrictions. Overall, Nexus S is the preferred platform for
AOSP work.

I've updated the set of IMM76L binaries for Nexus S 4G to include
WiMAX support. They're available at their usual location:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

Enjoy!
JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 1:02 PM
It's hard to tell. For toro (i.e. the VZW Galaxy Nexus), there are
really 3 aspects at play here:

-What we've just done for Nexus S 4G is good news: it shows that we're
equipped to handle proprietary APKs for AOSP, and that's a big step
forward.

-The next step for toro would be to check that we (Google) have the
rights to distribute all the necessary files for CDMA/LTE.

-The difficulty is that even if we bring toro on par with maguro,
we're still left with a build where the camera, GPS and NFC are
broken, so the result is still not satisfactory. It's hard to justify
putting much effort into it if I know that the result won't be good
enough to be usable as a daily phone.

JBQ

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Craig Jennings
<craig.je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any idea on if this will be possible with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus?
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 2:23 PM
They're close to identical, and they're equally broken on both.

JBQ

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Joshua Sklarsky <skla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are the camera, GPS and NFC all that different in toro vs. maguro?
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 2:47 PM
The two aspects are unrelated. I can't comment on the details of
consumer updates, especially for devices that weren't purchased from
Google Play.

JBQ

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:45 PM, StrifeJester <strife...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does this mean that it will see an update to Jelly Bean much faster than the
> update to ICS was?  Will updates come directly from Google now without
> having to get the signed CDMA stuff from Sprint first?
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 3:02 PM
In the context of AOSP, we can only distribute that file for Nexus S,
we don't have a license for other devices. You can see it in section
1.c. of the license in that file's self-extractor.

JBQ

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM, Ladios Jonquil <ladios....@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> really 3 aspects at play here:
>>
>> -What we've just done for Nexus S 4G is good news: it shows that we're
>> equipped to handle proprietary APKs for AOSP, and that's a big step
>> forward.
>>
>> -The next step for toro would be to check that we (Google) have the
>> rights to distribute all the necessary files for CDMA/LTE.
>>
>> -The difficulty is that even if we bring toro on par with maguro,
>> we're still left with a build where the camera, GPS and NFC are
>> broken, so the result is still not satisfactory. It's hard to justify
>> putting much effort into it if I know that the result won't be good
>> enough to be usable as a daily phone.
>>
>> JBQ
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Craig Jennings
>> <craig.je...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Any idea on if this will be possible with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus?

Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 3:06 PM
I don't expect any problem on that front.

JBQ

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM, StrifeJester <strife...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you elaborate on how the long the license is good for?  Could we see
> support yanked again for it or is this permanent?
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 3:21 PM
I can't comment on the future with enough certainty, sorry.

JBQ

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM, mike c <mcorb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will we be able to get jelly bean?
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 3:38 PM
I don't expect any problems there.

JBQ

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Bryan York <bryan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have any idea if you'll be able to post Galaxy Nexus CDMA images when
> Qualcomm restructures?
>
> http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=10708
>
> Thanks for all that you do,
>
> -Bryan
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/4/12 6:38 AM
Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S run some very different hardware (the Sprint
Galaxy Nexus is CDMA+LTE while Nexis S 4G is CDMA+WiMAX). Those files
that I released yesterday are specific to Nexus S 4G.

In addition, support for specific devices in AOSP isn't directly
related to the timing of consumer releases anyway.

JBQ