Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support

Showing 1-18 of 18 messages
Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 8:35 AM
We've been able to resolve the issues around Nexus S 4G, and we can
now properly distribute its CDMA and WiMAX binaries. That allows Nexus
S 4G to work with AOSP just as well as Nexus S.

As a result, we now consider Nexus S 4G to be fully supported in AOSP,
with no restrictions. Overall, Nexus S is the preferred platform for
AOSP work.

I've updated the set of IMM76L binaries for Nexus S 4G to include
WiMAX support. They're available at their usual location:
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/drivers

Enjoy!
JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.

warning.
Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Craig Jennings 7/3/12 12:39 PM
Any idea on if this will be possible with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus?
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 1:02 PM
It's hard to tell. For toro (i.e. the VZW Galaxy Nexus), there are
really 3 aspects at play here:

-What we've just done for Nexus S 4G is good news: it shows that we're
equipped to handle proprietary APKs for AOSP, and that's a big step
forward.

-The next step for toro would be to check that we (Google) have the
rights to distribute all the necessary files for CDMA/LTE.

-The difficulty is that even if we bring toro on par with maguro,
we're still left with a build where the camera, GPS and NFC are
broken, so the result is still not satisfactory. It's hard to justify
putting much effort into it if I know that the result won't be good
enough to be usable as a daily phone.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Joshua Sklarsky 7/3/12 2:06 PM
Are the camera, GPS and NFC all that different in toro vs. maguro?
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 2:23 PM
They're close to identical, and they're equally broken on both.

JBQ
Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support StrifeJester 7/3/12 2:45 PM
Does this mean that it will see an update to Jelly Bean much faster than the update to ICS was?  Will updates come directly from Google now without having to get the signed CDMA stuff from Sprint first?

On Tuesday, July 3, 2012 10:35:51 AM UTC-5, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 2:47 PM
The two aspects are unrelated. I can't comment on the details of
consumer updates, especially for devices that weren't purchased from
Google Play.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Ladios Jonquil 7/3/12 2:52 PM
I'm curious about why can't maguro's NFC binary file be distributed? Its chip is the same pn544 as crespo's, and even their firmware library files are identical.

Jean-Baptiste Queru於 2012年7月4日星期三UTC+8上午4時02分44秒寫道:Jean-Baptiste Queru於 2012年7月4日星期三UTC+8上午4時02分44秒寫道:Jean-Baptiste Queru於 2012年7月4日星期三UTC+8上午4時02分44秒寫道:
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 3:02 PM
In the context of AOSP, we can only distribute that file for Nexus S,
we don't have a license for other devices. You can see it in section
1.c. of the license in that file's self-extractor.

JBQ
Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support StrifeJester 7/3/12 3:02 PM
Can you elaborate on how the long the license is good for?  Could we see support yanked again for it or is this permanent?

On Tuesday, July 3, 2012 10:35:51 AM UTC-5, Jean-Baptiste Queru wrote:
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 3:06 PM
I don't expect any problem on that front.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support mike c 7/3/12 3:11 PM
Will we be able to get jelly bean?
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 3:21 PM
I can't comment on the future with enough certainty, sorry.

JBQ

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM, mike c <mcorb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will we be able to get jelly bean?

Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support mike c 7/3/12 3:24 PM
I understand, thank you
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Bryan York 7/3/12 3:26 PM
Do you have any idea if you'll be able to post Galaxy Nexus CDMA images when Qualcomm restructures?

Thanks for all that you do,

-Bryan
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/3/12 3:38 PM
I don't expect any problems there.

JBQ
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jacob Reiter 7/3/12 11:26 PM
Does all this apply to the Sprint galaxy nexus as well?

Will the sprint galaxy nexus get the update relitively soon?
Re: [android-building] Re: Nexus S 4G fully supported in AOSP, including WiMAX support Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/4/12 6:38 AM
Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S run some very different hardware (the Sprint
Galaxy Nexus is CDMA+LTE while Nexis S 4G is CDMA+WiMAX). Those files
that I released yesterday are specific to Nexus S 4G.

In addition, support for specific devices in AOSP isn't directly
related to the timing of consumer releases anyway.

JBQ