HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP

Showing 1-21 of 21 messages
HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 4/24/12 8:28 AM
We've just announced that the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus is now available in
the US, directly from Google Play. The details are here:
http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2012/04/galaxy-nexus-now-on-sale-in-google-play.html

This variant is supported in AOSP. The hardware is maguro, the same
one that is already supported in AOSP, so the same full_maguro AOSP
build works on it.

The retail build name is takju, which is similar to yakju but adds
Google Wallet support. The IMM76I factory image is available at
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

I can now get back to tagging the IMM76I source code.

JBQ

--
Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP moose 4/24/12 1:44 PM
JBQ, sorry if this is not the correct forum. If we already have a
yakju device and want google wallet, can we simply flash takju,
assuming that we are located in the US. That is, is the hardware
essentially the same? I had bought mine from the UK back in December,
I could not wait for the US Verizon exclusivity to run up.

On Apr 24, 11:28 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> We've just announced that the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus is now available in
> the US, directly from Google Play. The details are here:http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2012/04/galaxy-nexus-now-on-sale-in-...
>
> This variant is supported in AOSP. The hardware is maguro, the same
> one that is already supported in AOSP, so the same full_maguro AOSP
> build works on it.
>
> The retail build name is takju, which is similar to yakju but adds
> Google Wallet support. The IMM76I factory image is available athttps://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 4/24/12 1:47 PM
The hardware is the same, and we've been switching between yakju and
takju on our own devices during testing. There should be no problem
doing so.

Note that (if I understood correctly), you should also be able to
download Google Wallet from Google Play on your yakju, without having
to re-flash. This is a recent change.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Frank Combs 4/24/12 2:18 PM
if I end up buying the Galaxy Nexus from the Google Play store,would the version numbers be updated fairly regularly? I'm still stuck on 4.0.2 on the Verizon Wireless version. that's the only reason I have Verizon. also,could I give my current phone to a friend,or?
Frank A. Combs III
Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 4/24/12 2:26 PM
Well, if you buy directly from Google, you're literally taking
carriers out of the loop. Most of the time, devices that aren't tied
to carriers get updated faster.

On the VZW front, well, that's really a question for VZW.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Frank Combs 4/24/12 2:30 PM
I will look into it,thanks Jean-Baptiste Queru. I will ask them next time my bill is due. also if I sign up for the direct from Google phone,would I have to pay ANY bill other then shipping to get the phone? how would that work with AT&T/T-Mobile? or would I have to ask them?
Frank A. Combs III
Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 4/24/12 2:37 PM
The phone doesn't include any account with any carrier, so you'll have
to provide your own SIM card. Both T-Mobile and AT&T offer a wide
variety of account options, from very simple prepaid voice-only
pay-as-you-go all the way to full-featured post-paid
unlimited-everythng.

JBQ

It works with both T-Mobile and AT&T, as well as all European
carriers, and any carrier using the same frequencies.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Frank Combs 4/24/12 2:38 PM
thanks,will look into it.

Frank A. Combs III
Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Brandon 4/24/12 5:53 PM
Frank, I would suggest looking into Straight Talk http://www.straighttalksim.com/.

They allow you to bring your own device and are fully compatible with the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus. In fact, I've been using them for months with no problem.

Some carriers don't offer a discount for you bringing your own device to their network but instead charge you the same rate as someone under contract.
Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Moleculor 4/24/12 6:03 PM
Some folks and I on Reddit are having an argument about the actual
technical specs on this phone.

The international GSM version is a penta-band HSPA+ phone: 850, 900,
1700, 1900, 2100 MHz.

This version only lists four HSPA+ bands: 850, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz.

They say it would be stupid to have an already-built international
version and decide to build a completely new version with one HSPA+
band taken out, so they think the tech specs are just wrong.

I say it's better to trust the tech specs are right than to receive a
nasty surprise if you expect the 900 MHz band to be there, and it's
not.

Who's right? Is this the international penta-band construction, or a
special quad-band construction?

(Either way, it has the distinction of being one of the only phones
ever made for the US market that can run on both available GSM
networks' 3G data systems. Thank you for that. Thank you so very much.
I already have the international version, but it's nice to see a crack
in the carrier's monopolies from time to time.)

On Apr 24, 10:28 am, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
> We've just announced that the HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus is now available in
> the US, directly from Google Play. The details are here:http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2012/04/galaxy-nexus-now-on-sale-in-...
>
> This variant is supported in AOSP. The hardware is maguro, the same
> one that is already supported in AOSP, so the same full_maguro AOSP
> build works on it.
>
> The retail build name is takju, which is similar to yakju but adds
> Google Wallet support. The IMM76I factory image is available athttps://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images
Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 4/24/12 6:08 PM
As far as I know it's the same maguro hardware that is in yakju, so as
far as I know 900MHz should be there for the 3G side.

I'll assume for now that it's a typo on the site, but I'll double-check.

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Frank Combs 4/24/12 6:19 PM
thanks Brandon but would I get regular OS updates? I have only had one system update since I bought the Verizon version.
Frank A. Combs III
Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 4/24/12 6:45 PM
Which SIM you use (or even not using a SIM at all) doesn't prevent you
from getting updates.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Frank Combs 4/24/12 6:56 PM
good to know. so if I switched to Straight Talk and used my Verizon Wireless phone,I should be able to get timely updates directly from google as opposed to the"Verizon way"to update phones?
Frank A. Combs III
Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 4/24/12 7:01 PM
Not really. That'd still be a VZW phone.

(Plus, I think StraightTalk is GSM, so your CDMA phone from VZW
wouldn't work there).

If you don't mind, I'd like to stop this discussion here, as we're
very far off-topic for an AOSP list.

JBQ

Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Frank Combs 4/24/12 7:11 PM
ok,sorry about that
Frank A. Combs III
Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 4/25/12 9:08 AM
FWIW I've confirmed that there is an error on the web site, and that
the radio is the usual 5-band HSPA+: 850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100.

JBQ

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Mathieu Méa 7/10/12 8:21 PM
If I want to switch from yakju to takju, do I need to wipe? or can I just apply the takju ROM over the yakju ROM without loosing anything?
Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 7/11/12 8:38 AM
I'd recommend wiping. But, really, you could as well stay with yakju
and download Google Wallet from the Google Play Store.

JBQ
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.
Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP bhowes 8/2/12 9:15 PM

JBQ, can you tell me how to get help from Google on getting the HSPA+ mode to actually work. Im near mountain view, and I have T-Mobile, Straight Talk and AT&T SIMs, and the phone will not stay in HSPA+:15 mode, it cycles through UMTS:3, HSDPA:8 (stays here most of the time) and HSPA+:15 (leaves this mode quickly.) JB 411 OTA with baseband and RIL I9250XXLF1.
Re: [android-building] Re: HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus available in the US, supported in AOSP Jean-Baptiste Queru 8/3/12 9:25 AM
This sounds like a question for the Google Help Center, support.google.com

JBQ

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru
Technical Lead, Android Open Source Project, Google.
More topics »