This topic has been hidden because it was flagged for abuse.

Re: [akka-user] java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router Jonas Bonér 5/16/12 6:47 AM
Sounds like a bug. Do you have a failing test? That would help a lot. Thanks.

Jonas Bonér
CTO
Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale
Phone: +46 733 777 123
Twitter: @jboner
Re: [akka-user] java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router 5/16/12 6:50 AM
Yeah open a ticket. But also, it doesn't make sense at all to have a BalancingDispatcher with a SmallestMailboxRouter...

Cheers,
Viktor Klang

Akka Tech Lead
Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale

Twitter: @viktorklang

Re: [akka-user] Re: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router 5/16/12 10:48 AM

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM, krishnen <kris...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I made a small demo project to illustrate the problem :

https://github.com/krishnenc/routing-akka

Viktor : Removing the balancing dispatcher does indeed prevent the exception

As I expected then. A remote SmallestMailboxFirst Router, with a Resizer, with a BalancingDispatcher is just a bad idea on all levels.

Great that the assertion was there!

Cheers,

Thks,
Krishnen
Re: [akka-user] Re: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router Jonas Bonér 5/16/12 11:52 AM
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 7:48 PM, √iktor Ҡlang <viktor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 7:43 PM, krishnen <kris...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I made a small demo project to illustrate the problem :
>>
>> https://github.com/krishnenc/routing-akka
>>
>> Viktor : Removing the balancing dispatcher does indeed prevent the
>> exception
>

> As I expected then. A remote SmallestMailboxFirst Router, with a Resizer,
> with a BalancingDispatcher is just a bad idea on all levels.

Indeed bad. But it should not fail like this. Add a ticket.
Jonas Bonér
CTO
Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale
Re: [akka-user] Re: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router 5/16/12 12:02 PM

How should it fail?

Cheers,

Re: [akka-user] Re: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router Jonas Bonér 5/16/12 12:08 PM
On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 9:02 PM, √iktor Ҡlang <viktor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How should it fail?

With an exception with a proper error message of course.
Re: [akka-user] Re: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router 5/16/12 12:18 PM

That's the easy part, the hard part is where to put that check.

Re: [akka-user] Re: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router Jonas Bonér 5/17/12 4:51 AM

You'll figure it out ;-)

Re: [akka-user] Re: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router 5/17/12 4:54 AM

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Jonas Boner <jo...@jonasboner.com> wrote:

You'll figure it out ;-)

Nah, looking forward to your pull request since you claimed it was easy. ;-)
Re: [akka-user] Re: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router Akka Team 5/17/12 5:13 AM

LOL. I'll take a look.

Re: [akka-user] Re: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router 5/17/12 5:16 AM

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Akka Team <akka.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

LOL. I'll take a look.

We should probably just issue a check for using BalancingDispatcher with a router at all, since it doesn't make any sense really.
Re: [akka-user] Re: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router Jonas Bonér 5/17/12 5:23 AM

That is the plan

Re: [akka-user] Re: java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router 5/17/12 5:27 AM

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Jonas Boner <jo...@jonasboner.com> wrote:

That is the plan

However, that won't help with custom dispatchers.
Re: [akka-user] java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router rkuhn 5/25/12 7:29 AM
Hi folks,

sorry, I’m very late to the party, but re-reading this I think the change in https://github.com/akka/akka/pull/464 is not needed, since the problem is only that the head router must not run on a “weird” dispatcher. So, Props.dispatcher==BalancingDispatcher is fine for a router while RouterConfig.routerDispatcher==BalancingDispatcher is not. The wording in the docs is less clear than it could be (and I’m accusing myself here, IIRC) and it does not explain which specific combination is bad precisely why.

I’ll open a new ticket to fix the fix.

Regards,

Roland

Roland Kuhn
Typesafe – The software stack for applications that scale.
twitter: @rolandkuhn

Re: [akka-user] java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router 5/25/12 7:31 AM

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Roland Kuhn <goo...@rkuhn.info> wrote:
Hi folks,

sorry, I’m very late to the party, but re-reading this I think the change in https://github.com/akka/akka/pull/464 is not needed, since the problem is only that the head router must not run on a “weird” dispatcher. So, Props.dispatcher==BalancingDispatcher is fine for a router while RouterConfig.routerDispatcher==BalancingDispatcher is not. The wording in the docs is less clear than it could be (and I’m accusing myself here, IIRC) and it does not explain which specific combination is bad precisely why.

I’ll open a new ticket to fix the fix.

Nice catch! Cigar

Cheers,

--
Viktor Klang

Akka Tech Lead
Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale

Twitter: @viktorklang

Re: [akka-user] java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router Jonas Bonér 5/25/12 8:05 AM
Ah, good catch.Jonas Bonér
CTO

Typesafe - The software stack for applications that scale
Re: [akka-user] java.lang.AssertionError: assertion failed in Router 5/25/12 8:44 AM

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Jonas Bonér <jo...@jonasboner.com> wrote:
Ah, good catch.