Class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse

Showing 1-9 of 9 messages
Class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse BusDeath 5/29/12 5:01 AM
What makes the class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse?
Re: Class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse Jake Wharton 5/29/12 8:30 AM
It provides access to package-scoped things inside the support library which are not public.

---
Jake Wharton
http://about.me/jakewharton

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:01 AM, BusDeath <andre.ze...@googlemail.com> wrote:
What makes the class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse?

Re: Class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse Mark Murphy 5/29/12 8:40 AM
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Jake Wharton <jakew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It provides access to package-scoped things inside the support library which
> are not public.

All else being equal, particularly if you're doing a bunch of other
refactoring, you might consider changing the name of the class. I have
had a couple of people comment on this to me, wondering why we are
adding a Trojan horse to our apps. It's the sort of thing where the
class name raises more questions than it may be worth.

Just my 2 cents.

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 3.7 Available!
Re: Class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse Shane 5/29/12 8:44 AM
I would tend to agree with Mark on this one.  The name change would be a wise move.

Shane
Re: Class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse Christopher Jenkins 5/29/12 9:36 AM
Ahh I quite like the name, maybe unlike some people I read the comments in the class before I asked questions..

Buuuut, I can see the issue (if) there was an exception and someone checked a stack trace could give your app a bad rep seeing TrojanHorse in the trace (or de-dex'ed for that matter). Rare I know.. but probably not a risk we should take...

On May 29, 2012, at 9:40 AM, Mark Murphy wrote:

>> It provides access to package-scoped things inside the support library which
>> are not public.
>
> All else being equal, particularly if you're doing a bunch of other
> refactoring, you might consider changing the name of the class. I have
> had a couple of people comment on this to me, wondering why we are
> adding a Trojan horse to our apps. It's the sort of thing where the
> class name raises more questions than it may be worth.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> --
> Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)
> http://commonsware.com | http://github.com/commonsguy
> http://commonsware.com/blog | http://twitter.com/commonsguy
>
> _The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 3.7 Available!

Re: Class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse Jonathan Steele 5/29/12 10:21 PM
I would rename to the ActionBarSherlockExtensions
Re: Class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse Jake Wharton 6/3/12 1:10 AM
It'll be renamed for the next version. How'd I do? :)

Re: Class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse Jake Wharton 6/3/12 2:23 AM
Had to rename it to Watson.java since IntelliJ IDEA wouldn't compile the previous choice :(

---
Jake Wharton
http://about.me/jakewharton

Re: Class ActionBarSherlockTrojanHorse Chris 6/23/12 9:03 PM
Thanks a shame, the upside down characters were cool (although potentially confusing).